Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Vegetable Gardening: Anaheim Peppers going soft on the vine

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9581562

I went out yesterday to pick some peppers for a saute, and was dismayed to find that my anaheims have a weird brown thing going on. The area that is brown is soft (unusable). I cut it away, and the rest of the pepper seems fine.

Any ideas what is going on here?

I'm befuddled.

Thumbnail by happygirl345
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9581851

Hmmm, happygirl345, I suspected that maybe a BER (blossom end rot) problem. I understood it effects tomatoes but I haven't learned that it could effect peppers? More research is needed, since it's only a "hunts". BER is a problem with calcium deficiency in certain plants such as tomatoes so I've learned.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2013 11:52 AM

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9581963

Yes, BER can affect peppers. It's not necessarily calcium deficiency in the soil, though, it can be excess other nutrients. Inconsistent water can do it, too, or too much.

Peppers are just finicky sometimes. At this point, all you can do is control the water and do what you are doing, which is cut out the bad parts.
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9583315

Maybe it's too much water. I have them on the same valve as potatoes and tomatoes... and I'm about ready to start weaning the tomatoes to less water.

I'm just worried because it is SO hot here these days (fourth day over 100 today).

Ahhh.. back to California wildfire season... sigh...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9583343

Thanks Nicole, I'm learning something new today from you. happygirl345, praying for safety from wildfire. Good lucks with the peppers crop. Hope the problem with the fruits will soon be corrected.
WillyFromAZ
Sierra Vista, AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9585415

I'm not sure, but it could be sun burn.
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9591259

How about too much bone meal? I applied about two weeks ago... maybe it would take that long to uptake? It could also be a sunburn -- we went through a wicked-hot phase...
WillyFromAZ
Sierra Vista, AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9594084

Bone meal can be overdone, but I think the damage would show up in the leaves of the plant. You're probably OK with the bone meal. How much did you apply? Was it coarse of fine? The reason I don't think it's BER is that the tips of the peppers look OK. If you can rig some mid-day shade, that would help if sun burn is the problem.

Here's a link to an article on phosphorus:http://aggieturf.tamu.edu/files-2005/phosphorus_Provin.pdf. Here's another site that discusses P: http://soil.gsfc.nasa.gov/index.php?section=77.

I'm not sure why the first link above isn't working.
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9595259

It's fine bone meal - and you are right - I don't think it's BER because the problem is mid-pepper. As for the bone meal, it is fine.

I am really beginning to suspect it's sunburn. I will find a way to give them a bit of afternoon shade.

Thanks!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America