Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Wendi10
Brent, FL

July 2, 2013
9:45 PM

Post #9584243

I have a beautiful Penta hanging pot that I've had for almost 2 weeks. It's been doing beautifully. We had to leave for 3 days for my husband's father's funeral several hundred miles away. It is 11:00 PM and I just went out to water my plants. All are doing well, except for this one. Soooo...get this: I go to water this plant and all of a sudden a bird comes flying out at me! I screamed so loud! What is the world could this be? It was dark, so I have nothing to go by except a fluttering and flying object coming out scaring the living daylights out of me! This had to have only happened within the last 3 days, and by the way...the plant looks horrible! It's like I've neglected it for a week! Please help!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2013
9:53 PM

Post #9584248

Inspect it in the morning. In my area it would likely be a dove who has laid eggs while you were gone or a bird who was using the edge of your pot for a roost. I have successfully watered around a nest before but it's not easy. If it's a nest, you might try hanging another basket nearby filled with hay or dried grass, use gloves and tranfer the eggs there. dont leave your scent on the basket, the grass or the eggs and place it very close to the penta basket. If the mother accepts the basket you make, then move your penta basket to another area where you can tend to it properly.
Wendi10
Brent, FL

July 3, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9584719

Thank you so much! I looked this morning and there are no eggs. I will keep a close eye on it. I appreciate your reply!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9584735

Wendi, is it possible it wasn't a bird, but rather a Bat that had settled in? Or maybe even an Owl. As far as why it isn't doing well, that's a tough one, unless maybe something has dug up the roots or used it as a bathroom?

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 3, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9585267

IF it was a bird, the soil in the basket would dry out faster due to heat transfer from the birds BUT, I would think the soil would have to be fairly dry for the bird to want to roost, take to building a nest or just sheltering for the night.

I'm not sure about your area but, here we are not allowed to remove or disturb any birds nests until until the fledglings have flown away, Bats are an even greater problem, IF we find bats in an out house or old ruined barn say, we have to have the experts help either remove the bat's at the right time of year or stop building/repair work till the bats move home.
I would be careful and take proper advice about taking down the hanging pot untill you know for sure your not breaking some law.
Best Regards. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America