Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Persian yellow rose in trouble after transplanting

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 6, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sireneh
Calgary
Canada

July 3, 2013
10:15 PM

Post #9585830

We recently moved so did not get to choose the perfect time to move our persian yellow rose, which has sentimental value to my husband. We transplanted it around June 13, in the evening.

Unfortunately, I did not dig it up nor plant it so I don't know exactly how it was done, but my husband put some compost in the hole along with regular soil (which I think means just the dirt from the bed it was transplanted to).

I know pictures are good and I can take one tomorrow if necessary, but my description of what's happened to it might suffice: picture brown, crunchy leaves. Like a dead plant. ALL the leaves. However, I just noticed today that there are some shoots that are green, and others - slightly older branches coming right from the ground - that have some of the colour that I recognize from its healthy days. I am hopeful.

Just wondering if I should leave the poor thing alone or tend to it. It thrives on neglect but perhaps not when it is vulnerable and weak as it is now.

Should I cut it back or leave it alone?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9586378

I would of cut it back when I transplanted it. The problem when you transplant a plant is you severely damage the root system and the plant can't take up any where near as much water as it did before it was move. That's why you need to water a transplant well and I like to reduce the leaf area as well as that is the main way a plant loses water. The plant may have taken matters in its own hands and shed leaves to survive. I think I would keep it watered, but no too much and see what happens.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 4, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9586402

You are correct by saying it is the wrong time of year to dig up and transplant things like Roses or any plants for that matter, but your rose sounds like it was growing in the same place and doing well for a long time so was well settled, so the plant has now gone into shock AND the weather is very hot for a shocked plant to try cope with all the new environment, the hot soil AND possible loss of some roots when lifted from the ground.

Right now you should forget about trying to get the Rose to produce flowers this year and concentrate on just trying to get the plant to survive the new conditions BUT, what you can also do is improve the conditions it is now in by adding as much humus to the planting area as you can as this will help keep the roots a bit cool, allow moisture to stay in the soil a little longer before it drains away as you water it. the humus also allows air into the soil and it adds feed to the roots,
IF I were you I would I would prune the stems by half, this will alleviate some of the energy going into sustaining growth all the way to the tips of the plants stems, and it allows the plant to concentrate on root settlement till it recovers.
Also dig a hole or two close to the root area of the rose, into the hole place an upturned clear plastic bottle in each hole, remove the cap and cut off the bottom, leave an inch or so above the soil level and back fill the holes, this way when you water the rose, you fill the plastic containers and know that all the water is going down to the roots where right now it will be required due to the plant being up-rooted, in shock and not knowing if it is to make new flowers, new leaves or just try survive the heat.
Please dont feed the plant right now as the last thing it need it to try produce new soft foliage that wont be able to stand the hot weather or the shock of newly transplant shock.
After you know the plant has recovered (a few weeks to a few months) you can give a Dose of Rose fertilizer to help it through it's winter sleep period,
Hope this gives you some ideas but most of all, some hope how to help the plant recover. Next time you wish to remove any established plants try doing it early spring or late summer, these times the plants are going into dormancy or about to waken up for a new season, even IF it means you put the plants into pot's till you are able to resettle them.
Good luck and kindest regards.
WeeNel.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9592928

I was just going to tell you not to be surprised that it looks close to dead, but you've got much better and more complete advice. I'm assuming you moved it from Calgary to Calgary so it has the same climate.
Marcia
sireneh
Calgary
Canada

July 11, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9595582

Yes, I moved it from the same neighborhood, even. It's still hanging in there. I followed WeeNel's advice and pruned the stems. It's not a joyful plant by any means but I am still hopeful because of the stems that look "normal", except for the absence of any healthy leaves.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 16, 2013
11:15 PM

Post #9601851

sireneh, there is still plenty time for the Rose to produce new leaves but dont expect a huge amount of flowers this year, the Plant will have had a shock at being dug up from where it was happy and then transported, then re-planted into a different environment, maybe even facing in a different direction, I know all these things sound silly when were trying to get transplants to grow like Topsy for us and we sometimes expect great things right away as we feel we put in such an efort to please this plant when moved but really, they do need time to adjust and your plant will be all the better next year IF it manages to use all it's energy on making NEW roots than making top growth and flowers so try just keep the plant watered and also try be patient as under the soil I feel sure it's working hard for you and just settling into the new garden area.
Best of luck, try relax a little and bet next year you will be showing off wonderful pictures. Hope os anyway.
Best regards. WeeNel.
sireneh
Calgary
Canada

July 21, 2013
10:02 PM

Post #9607853

Oh! I took a picture of it yesterday to show you. There is life! I'm not anxious about flowers, or even leaves for that matter; I just want to know if it's going to survive. Plenty of time to enjoy it in full bloom in the years to come. Now that I've seen this, I am feeling much more confident that it's going to be OK.

Thumbnail by sireneh
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America