Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: planted bok choy too late?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9587521

I planted from seeds, bok choy for the first time.
I planted them in pots in the garden on 5/31.
I have lots of seedlings with 2 sets of leaves but they are all forming flower heads.
It is very hot here, reached the high 80's in the last few days.
Do I get rid of them and plant something else?
or can I save them?
What could I plant in their place at this late date?
I'm sorry if these questions seem basic but I've just got back into vegetable gardening after a long break of many years and I'm no longer certain on how to proceed.
I still have kale in the garden since it self seeds as does the hardneck garlic otherwise everything is new.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2013
11:25 AM

Post #9587846

Bok choy only grows for me in the colder temps. I've spent my fair share of time in NJ and the weather til about fall up there is probably too hot for bok choy. A shade cloth might help! But you could start another set of those fabulous Jersey tomatoes (ones with a short DTM - days to maturity) or maybe cucumbers, eggplants, or I grow malabar spinach in the summer. Malabar grows fast and pretty as a vine, but it's got a little of that okra squish to it for eating.

Some varieties of bok choy are good as microgreens, you could see how cool you can keep them and make a great dish with ginger, garlic, soy, and salmon...
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2013
5:20 AM

Post #9588642

Thank you Nola for the information and suggestions.
I will pick the bok choy and add it to a stir fry and look for the malabar spinach seeds.
Meanwhile I do have extra bean and cucumber seedlings I can use in the large pots
I was growing the bok choy in.
I wonder if it is too late to start red kuri winter squash from seed?
I think I'll give that a try also.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2013
4:35 AM

Post #9589796

I start asian greens like bok choi, michili and tatsoi inside under lights, and transplant to the garden after hardening off.
This seems to work at almost any time of the growing season, and is much more reliable than direct sowing outside.
Mine last a month or so before forming flower heads, at which time I use them up and replace with another batch. You can try cutting the flowers off to see if they will grow more leaves, but once the flowers start on mine, cutting them off usually just generates more flowers.
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2013
9:40 AM

Post #9602285

Thanks Don, I'll have to try seed starting indoors to see if it makes a difference.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9602351

Hi all;
sempervirens, you've mentioned malabar spinach. Did you know, to speed up the growing process with this type of spinach. If you can find them in Asian market, buy and cook the tender portion of the veggies. The succulent stems left over can be easily rooted in water. Yes, root in water. I had no idea that it worked; but year before last I tried -- what do I have to lose? As a result they rooted and I planted them outdoor in pot. Make a long story short, I have enough to cook all year round. I nutured a few to produce seeds last year. And this year, the seeds germinated and this suits our hot summer months growing.

Do google for 'Asian vegetable seeds' you'll find a source of seeds that's very affordable from Evergreen Y. H. Enterprises. I ordered some approx. two weeks ago. The seeds arrived promptly, and I'm very pleased with their service.

I'm learning too about warm/cool season veggies. Summer/winter squash growing. It's a sharp learning curve, but I enjoy learning. It's rewarding an experience.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9619701

Bok Choy and Chinese cabbage (Michihli and Napa) are all cool-weather crops. Spring or fall, in most climates.

You can collect large numbers of Bok Choy seeds from the bolting plants. Then sow them very thickly in cooler weather, so you can "mow" many of the young plants as microgreens. But let half or a quarter of them grow up to be harvested baby leaves. Leave a few of those unharvested, at 8-10" spacing, to form mature heads of Bok Choy.

I think most Chinese cabbage baby leaves are hairy, hence NG for salad.

These are my two favorite Asian seed vendors. Tainong is aimed at the market grower and farmer, but he will sell sample pkts, around 2 grams for $2.

http://www.tainongseeds.com/bok-choi/
http://www.tainongseeds.com/vegetable-seeds/

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/

This message was edited Aug 5, 2013 3:08 PM
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2013
4:52 AM

Post #9620020

What great suggestions and information everyone is offering .

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America