Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Purple Podded Pole Beans

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2013
9:34 AM

Post #9587708

Has anyone grown this variety? We grew Royal Burgundy bush beans this year and loved them, but they just didn't produce many pods; only enough for one dinner. Pole beans seem to be more prolific and we're considering growing these in the fall. Any comments?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9587753

I have grown a couple of varieties. They don't like heat so may be a problem in Texas. Taker longer to produce than Royal burgundy which usually can be planted early enough to set a good crop before hot weather arrives.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9587756

I'm thinking of planting these for fall, so heat will be less of an issue.
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9589370

I have not grown that specific variety of pole bean, but it was streaked with purple. All I remember is the beans turn green when cooked. And they are delish.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9589408

I'm growing Royalty Purple Pod which is a bush bean but is growing more like a pole bean so there is a good chance that there was some mix up. Are you saying that you want to switch from the bush bean to the pole bean this fall? I much prefer pole beans and have had summers where I picked them all summer long if the Spider Mites didn't get them first. Right now I'm picking Contender bush beans and I'm getting a couple handfuls 3-4 times a week. How many plants are you growing?

I have started growing yard long beans and it's hard to beat their production, the heat or SMs don't seem to bother them. I need to get those sown ASAP!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9589474

Yes, I'm thinking of switching from bush beans to pole beans. Last year we only grew pole beans and had beans coming out our ears! This year, hardly anything.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9589516

How many plants do you have? I would switch. I've read, somewhere on DG, about growing both and I really don't understand why anybody would grow bush beans when you can grow pole beans, myself included. Bush beans usually stop producing after the 2-3 rounds and pole beans keep setting, weather permitting. But even when it's hot the pole beans still set, like you said. I would still pick the yard long beans but they have a longer DTM so I need to get mine sown, NOW!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9590280

Last year was the first year we grew pole beans and we ended up yanking them out because of all kinds of bugs. Wanted to try the burgundy beans, but they only come in bush variety. I did more research for pole beans and found the purple podded ones. Right now, we have about 75 bush bean plants.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2013
11:17 PM

Post #9590969

That is a lot of plants. Like I said I'm growing bush beans also, and I can't understand why, lol. I do know the seeds were on sale bc it was late in the season. (I've only grown long beans the last few years) but I remember much higher continous yields with pole beans. I dont think I'll be growing bush beans again. I'm sure the heat could be an issue but I remember picking pole beans all summer long. I never had to resow them.

When are you planing on starting them?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9591688

I dunno. I'll have to check my planting calendar. LOL
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2013
11:18 PM

Post #9592476

Are you getting any more beans from the plants you have now? I'm asking bc bush beans are only suppose to produce 1-3 batches (or something like that) but I don't know what they do then. Do they die or just not flower anymore. My purple beans are flowering like crazy I'm hopping with the cool rain today that some blooms will set pods.

My aggie calander thing says anytime before Sept 1st for bush beans for your area. But pole beans take longer to produce. Does that match your calendar at all? Lol

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9592729

They are blooming, but not producing any pods. We're probably going to yank them and plant something else there for fall. The pole beans will go in a different place.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9595568

I'm still getting some beans from the bush plants Contender is setting the most. Henderson Black Valentine ( pole bean) hasn't flowered or done anything I'll give it a little longer...I have enough space but I'm realizing that the shade in my upper garden really makes a big difference.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America