-
AuthorContent
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2013
6:08 AM

Post #9592621

New thread for 2013 Ponds! The old one was getting pretty long...

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9592628

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1309195/

Came from here...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9592836

Hi there. Following right along. My pond is nice and clear and has little algae. I got three little koi and two shebunkin at Walmart. Longest is about 5-6". But they are happy and active so I'm okay with that. The goldfish that has the growth on his head has somehow ruptured it and is as hardy as ever. He has lasted four years in the pond. One of the other goldies that has survived (there are four) now has the same sort of thing on his side. I wonder if I put PP in the pond in the same measurement I did in the spring if it would cure them. I didn't know that there were live fish in there when I did it but it didn't kill them so must have been too light a dose. I am simply not up to trying to catch fish again. So any treatment that can go into the pond to treat them all??
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9593013

It will treat them all IF there is disease in the water. You may just have some fish that have a disease personally, and not an unhealthy water. Remember, the PP will kill everything, including your good bacteria that is keeping your water clear and healthy. I'd add some salt and see if he can clear on his own, without killing off the biological balance of your water.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9593053

Okay. Any suggestions on ratio. I have about 2800 gallons of water.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9593311

If you get the water softener salt in the large blue bags (no additives) it's cheap...maybe in the $4.00-5.00 range. I'd use a quarter of a bag.
If you can ever get a picture of your fish, I'd like to see what you're talking about. It's not a waxy lumpy growth is it?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9593407

Yeah. Kind of. Like a mole gone bad on Knothead. Haven't see a clear one on the other fish yet. It is pinkish. Knothead survived for years with his so I don't know that they are fatal.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2013
5:09 AM

Post #9593779

Look up carp pox, and see if it looks anything like that. It shows up when cold water begins to warm, then once it gets summer warm, it goes dormant again. Does it look anything like that?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2013
7:53 PM

Post #9594719

It could be. Would your solution remain the same if it was pox?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2013
5:36 AM

Post #9594973

Yes, I'd still add salt. You can't actually get rid of pox, it's viral, but usually doesn't kill your fish, just looks ugly. It will go dormant with certain water temps, then appear again, then go dormant, etc. Usually they tell you to eliminate that fish (aka rose bush fertilizer) but if you're not a breeder, nor planning on selling or sharing any of your fish with anyone else, he's fine to live in your pond.
Because I haven't seen a picture, I'm not even sure if that's what it is.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9595066

I suspect you are right. Knothead has survived all this time.Would the PP kill the viras. Hmm. But would kill the fish too. lol. Not too good an idea. As soon as I am up and about I will get the salt. Thanks once again.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9595140

PP won't kill the virus. It's an internal DNA type virus. As long as he's fine with a knot on his head, and you aren't sharing fish, it will stay only in your pond. :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9595152

okay. So how is the virus introduced. By adding plants, fishj from Walmart. Of if they become stressed?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9595190

From what I've read, many fish carry the virus but never ever develop the condition. It's just sort of like shingles, where many carry the human virus, but most never actually get shingles. It didn't come in with plants. Stress or poor water conditions can make it appear on your fish, but it usually shows up in the spring/early summer, when your water temps change and warm up for the summer. Then after the temps stabalize, it can go dormant again. Again, I'm not saying your fish has pox. Could be something totally different, that's why I'd love to see a picture.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9595194

http://www.bonniesplants.com/carp_pox.htm Does it look anything like this?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9595813

I will try. I know I cannot catch him but he comes quite close to the sidewalls if he thiniks I am going to feed him.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 12, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9596596

http://koionline.forumotion.com/t2233-growth-on-koi-nose

Also take a look at the pictures on this link. It's other skin issues on koi.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9598910

Mary -

I have koi pox in my pond - if it is koi pox, it will come and go each season after start up. I do know where the koi came from, but what is one to do. In any event, my point is if it is the pox, your fish will either exhibit it and if they do not exhibit the pox, then they are carriers.

Bonnie - how are your eyes?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9598977

Thanks Carolyn. I don't intend to worry myself over it. They appear healthy and active regardless.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9599066

And that takes me back to my first point...if you arent' trading them, giving them to others, or selling them...just keeping them in your own pond for your own pleasure, you may as well sit back and enjoy them.
Many have koi pox, it comes and goes with water temps, just like has already been said. So if your fish aren't suffering, and the "whatever" isn't spreading rampant across the pond, I wouldn't overly worry about it either. :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9599774

Thanks Merry. That is the conclusion I reached. The water is crystal clear, very little algae and the fish are busy spawning and chasing the females. We saw about 6 baby fish. Tiny tiny. Only one has ever matured to being a little 2" fish but he must have died over the last winter because I didn't see him this spring. He was a gold fish for sure.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
4:51 AM

Post #9600721

Oberon,
Glad you shared this one with us all. Never heard of such. Won't worry about it unless it happens.
Right now all fish in both ponds seem healthy and happy.

Carolyn,
Right eye has done much better than left one but they both are progressing. Apmt on 25th should get me an RX for new glasses and then I'll see better I'm sure. Colors seem brighter now and sun seems to strain them so I will wear sun glasses for the rest of my days. Never did wear them and that was stupid. I see better without them but I'll get used to them.

One great thing happened lately. One of my big gold ones Blondie has started letting me pet her during feeding time. She is 5 yrs. old and is now turning white. Still pretty.

Looking forward to a visit from Merry Mary. Gardens are really in need of weeding but they will just have to grow for a while. The heat here is oppressive. Gardens look like a jungle and are very happy with these daily little showers we have been getting.

Happy ponding to all.
Bonnie

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9600833

Bonnie, I'm so happy you're doing much better! I agree, this heat is not allowing me to get much done! Because I work outside too, by the time I get home, I'm drained and not eager to get out to the yard. I'm still working on hand digging the new pond, which is a slooooow process. Right now I'm looking for flagstone or rock, for cheap. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll run into a good deal?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9601522

Bonnie

sounds like you are progressing well. I am glad - I try to wear my sunglasses most of the time when I am out or driving. Truth be told. I don't wear them when I garden. Perhaps I should rethink that one!

Glad MM is stopping over to see you. She can keep an 'eye' on you. Sorry - I had to say that... :-)
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9601566

Carolyn...I loved it anywhooo!! :)
Bonnie is unaware that I'm going to dump several fish in her pond when I stop by. I better do it while her eyes are still fuzzy so she doesn't catch me! ;)

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9601571

I am sure she will be thrilled!

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9605512

Thrilled is an understatement. I can see quite well now and wait until I get new glasses. Eyes of an eagle. I learned I can drive better now without glasses. Just will need them for reading. They possibly can change over time he said and might not need glasses at all. Woohoo
Its ok I'm just thankful I can use both eyes. I'm sure I wouldn't miss seeing fish coming. My son Jeff is as nutty as me. He gets so excited over new fish he's funny. His wife says she's sick of listening about fish so I told her would you prefer it was a 2 legged blonde or one with fins. His oldest son is 15 and so gentle with handling fish. Both boys are volunteering at their churches day camp I can't ask for any help right now. I'd rather they did that but I'll catch up with the weeds one day. I pruned so much yesterday I filled up our PU over the top. Glad we are near a landfill cause my garbage men are good about taking it but this is a load. Sometimes I have 8 garbage cans out there full of yard waste and they never ocmplain just take it.
OK thats it for tonight. Time for eye drops and a bit of TV.
Take care all, Bonnie
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 19, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9605611

Bonnie, my garbage men do the same thing but I talk to them and give them a Christmas bonus. They even bring my cans back up near the garage area for me.

So glad you can see well. I have a problem with small print but anything I read I can usually get on my laptop and I just make the print larger. My eye doctor told me that and I told him I had been doing it for years.
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

July 20, 2013
2:28 AM

Post #9605735

Good news Bonnie, so glad you can see well enough to drive without glasses. Been so unbearably hot here I haven't even been over to the pond in three days. Can't take this near 100 temperatures.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9605874

Bonnie - so glad you can see to drive without glasses. Truth be told I envy you that. I had to start wearing glasses about 10 years ago. I don't like wearing them, but do enjoy wearing sunglasses. Something wrong with that, isn't there?

Mittsy - we have been that hot too. What gets me is that it really is too hot to be outside and I wait all winter so I can be outside with my pond and gardens.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 20, 2013
9:25 PM

Post #9606698

I am used to 100+ degree weather but we usually have less than 5% humidity. Today we were 106 and 40+ humidity. I was gardening, I move with the shade, and my perspiration kept falling onto my glasses. Not a normal problem here.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9607240

I can't imagine functioning in that kind of weather. Shade or no shade. By the way, do any of you find worms in your falls coming down from the biowells. This is the second year I have noticed them. They cling to the rocks by the zillions. Damien blew them loose so they went into the pond so I assume the fish would eat them. Should I be adding something to the pond to get rid of them. Will they hurt my fish? They are very small. Maybe 1.5" and the size of a number 5 lead in a mechanical pencil.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2013
7:58 PM

Post #9607790

If they're reddish in color, they are perfectly normal, and the sign of a healthy pond. They are the larvae of a small harmless fly and eat a lot of pond gunk.
If they're normal earth worm babies, again, they're healthy for your pond.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2013
10:52 PM

Post #9607874

That's kind of what I figured as I have seen them in prior years. Just wanted to be sure though. Thanks Mary.

Mary
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9609989

Cleaned all filters today. Little red blood worms still in old pond filter but not in larger pond.
Hope the heat cools down up north for all of you.
I haven't breen outside working so much lately. Just a little after the sun goes down.
Every day little showers are really makaing the weeds grow but they will wait for me I'm sure.
Been waiting for years for Mary Poppins to show up and do my house work but she hasn't shown up yet. It can wait too.
Weather has really been wacky up north but heat is normal for us this time of year. I like fall better.
Bonnie
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 23, 2013
9:38 PM

Post #9610182

Bonnie, My DH thinks the good fairy shows up every day and does his laundry, makes our bed, makes his breakfast and put supplies in the pantry and the fridge. And then that fairy walks the dogs... I do the fairy dance across the great room a couple time a day. When I die I want to come back as my DH, or my Koi.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2013
1:31 AM

Post #9610243

WormsLovSharon wrote:Bonnie, My DH thinks the good fairy shows up every day and does his laundry, makes our bed, makes his breakfast and put supplies in the pantry and the fridge. And then that fairy walks the dogs... I do the fairy dance across the great room a couple time a day. When I die I want to come back as my DH, or my Koi.

I am going to haunt when I come back. I look forward to the opportunity!

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9610736

You guys crack me up. I am not supposed to bend for three or four months. Yeah, right. Get real. Try going through a day not bending. Damien is doing the laundry, taking care of the lawn and pond, watering my flowers and groused at me when he saw me bend down to open a bottom drawer in the kitchen to get some bread. I guess he is a keeper. And with the hours he works... wow. Now when I am up to par, the houseboy disappears except for the pond filters and mowing the lawn. But that is okay. I wonder if I put a board on my back down to my hips and strapped it on then it would let me know what I could do and what I couldn't. Probably not much. Poor choice on timing on my part. Oh, I got my first yellow water lily in several years. When Damien gets my new computer up and running I have bunches of pictures to post.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9610917

Mary - what did you do? You cannot bend and I have a broken foot. We make a good pair, don't we?

Can't wait to see your pics.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9610975

Well, I obviously missed something. Your BROKE your foot!!! Who was it last year that was jumping on cardboard boxes to crush them for the recycler and hurt herself. Wasn't you I don't think. How in the world do you function with a broken foot? And how in the heck did you do that. If everyone but me knows you could dmail me. Then I can tell you about my little adventure. lol
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9610997

Carolyn & Oberon what on earth have you two been up to. Pretty soon we will have a casualty list a mile long. Guess its all part of life.
Please let us know what we should pray for.

Worms: I could make a list of what I do around this place but you'd never believe it. The older my DH gets the longer my list gets. I have threatened to sell the whole place which didn't go over well. He would die early without his pets (cows) so guess we will hang in until nursing home beckons. LOL Some of our kids want us to move in with them. I keep telling them they couldn't stand it. I went thru it with 3 fam. members. Quite an education that was.
Take care all and try to stay in one piece.
Bonnie

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9611387

BonnieGardens wrote: try to stay in one piece.
Bonnie

This part seems to be key...

Mary - it was dumb, but isn't it always that way?

There is a garment rack in the bedroom that DH had removed from the laundry room when we bought a new freezer back in June. The garment rack is one of those with the high legs and I was in that front bedroom watering plants. I was carrying plants and thought I had cleared the leg of the rack with my right foot (it would have to be my driving foot :-)). My foot did not clear the rack - I cracked my foot hard against that leg. It hurt, however I didn't really think anything about it and went about my business with the plants until my foot started bothering me some days later. I did finally go in to the doctor's office and yesterday they determined that it is broken. I have to go into orthopedics tomorrow morning. Like I said - isn't it always something stupid?

So, what did you do that you cannot bend?

I am thinking I will at least have more time to spend out with my pond. A silver lining to the cloud?

This message was edited Jul 25, 2013 10:31 AM
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9611494

Bonnie, you could pray for better coordination for some DG members? lol. Carolyn I am amazed you could walk on it having cracked the bone. I have heard of that though.

Okay okay. I will fess up before God and friends. I had a tummy tuck. Okay. There it is. "Woman, thy name is vanity." It was actually more than mere vanity but no point in belaboring the whys. All is well aside from intense itching of the gosh awful corset I have to wear for 3 to 4 months and the tape they use to reduce scaring. I told them that was the least of my concerns after living with a monster scar from two C sections for 39 years (which by the way is completely gone now.) Yeah, like at my age I am going out in a bikini. Or even a two piece suit. Not likely. I only had minor repairs not a major overhaul. Although, now that I think of it. ROTFLMAO.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9611536

Oh Mary! I want one! I also want the bags under my eyes gone! I will take those over a broken foot any day!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9611654

For what it's worth it was 'fairly' inexpensive', pretty pain free (just twinges and a few aches). To be honest my stylist said that she had a friend who had it done and indicated a lot of pain. Can't say why. Different size of person, obedience to instructions, high pain tolerance, other complications? All I know is that my middle hasn't looked this good, maybe ever. However, as I said. That was not the goal, just a side benefit. Now a facelift??? Hmmmm. Well, how off topic can we get?? lol
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 25, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9611670

Well girls, I had a tummy tuck about 8 years ago. And a face lift. Now I need an arm lift. LOL. I had my face lift close to 20 years ago when I was in my early 50s.

The tummy tuck came about because I had lost a lot f weight, due to depression (another story) and my stomach was yucky. Well lo and behold, after the tummy tuck, the sciatic pain went away. I had been plagued with sciatic pain for year.

Carolyn, when I had my face lift, I went in to have my eyes done. The plastic surgeon chuckled and said, "Honey, you need more than your eyes done". I even had a neck lift and that is the wonderful part. My neck is not sagging down.

But this is Las Vegas. Capital of the big bossums. And I have the breasts the good Lord gave me.

So yes, way off thread but funny. Hugs, Sharon

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9611694

Ahaaa. Now it all comes out. Pretty interesting but hopefully we haven't offended others having little to no interest in physical overhauls.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9612964

I need so much work done I'd have to mortgage the farm to cover the cost. Guess I'm stuck with all the same old parts.

I say "more power to ya'll. If it makes you feel better about yourself go for it.

If I wasn't getting new sun glasses and reading glasses next week I'd break my neck from being off balance - not referring to brain thats beyond help. LOL

Oberon, will pray for better coordination for us all.

Bonnie
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2013
5:27 AM

Post #9617163

heat is gone and I am sitting in the open window listening to the waterfall in my pond, and decided to catch up with ya'll...good to know I am no the only one who wishes that changes could be made to the old bod!!! but all my money is in the pond...oh well, I love my pond so there!!!!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9617204

Lol...yah, I'm afraid my finances go into pond altering instead of body altering. Nothing wrong with it, just don't have the money to to both!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9617403

For what it's worth the decision was driven by 5% vanity and 95% a deep, let's just say, abhorrence for what age and my genetics was doing to that part of my anatomy. I am very accepting of all the other sags and lines. I earned them all right and proper. But that other was a dirty trick of nature perpetrated on women by some long ago survival mechanism that I really am not in need of now. So saying that, I have to admit that I am very satisfied with the results and I can stop obsessing on it now and turn full attention to what these weeks (and future weeks) of garden neglect has cost me.

Damien had been super great in caring for the pond and it is in great shape. Fishies are super happy and growing, well, like the weeds. lol. Baby fish are getting bigger better to make it through the winter I hope. At least a few of them. All colors. Assume goldfish, shebunkin, doubt koi, and some mix of all three.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2013
4:56 AM

Post #9619105

Not to change the subject but yesterday got my 2 new pair of glasses.
Woohoo!!! I'm seeing the world in a whole different light. Fish look brighter in color, sunsets are beautiful. Even saw some grease spots underneath my stove hood this morning so had to wash them. I am so happy and thankful. Both glasses have the anti-glare feature which in Fl. is wonderful. Passing windshields on cars no longer are blinding.
Oberon glad your fish are doing well and hope they survive the winter.
Merry Mary looking forward to your making it over soon. My large koi Blondie is turning white it seems. Many new white scales. Guess she wants a change also. Got a new short haircut yesterday too as my hair is very thick and sweats in this weather something fierce. I always wear a broad brimmed hat outside also, with vents of course. Times wasting got to get outside before it turns into an oven.

Happy ponding to all.
Bonnie
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9621016

Bonnie, now that u can see, do u know what this plant is in my pond...if no one knows I will go to plant ID forum, but I thought maybe pond people would know, so I thought I'd try here first.
Also included a pic of my lily blooming and the new lotus I just put in, this unknown is to pic left of the lotus.

Thumbnail by quaqbe   Thumbnail by quaqbe   Thumbnail by quaqbe      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9621054

Could it be water Thalia?
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2013
11:06 AM

Post #9621091

I took your thought and searched, came up with Hardy Water Canna Thalia dealbatand. There are several varieties but mine seems to be the dealbatand. Thank you for the help. I, also now know I need to get rid of this plant. It keeps jumping out of its pot and growing in the rocks etc. I'll go for another water lily, maybe a fragrant one or a night bloomer, but this thing is out of control.
Again, thanks for the help.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9622277

My thalia is about 8 feet tall and that does look like it. We call it alligator plant also. Bad part is it gets so tall it flops over. Has very small blooms on it in a chain like your pic. shows.
I put a whole large pot full of caladium in rocks into pond last week and it has floated out and fish have nibbled on it all and it looks awful so will have to take it out again. They also love the water celery so I'm growing them some of that. Merry Mary said they need their greens like we do. They sure eat it up and leave the stems bare.
Sure is hot here but not in the 3 digits yet--- Hope it does't get there.
Our AC unit is runing constantly, with little break time.
Keep cool all,
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9622546

I put slices of watermelon in the pond, they gobbled it down. I only have a small chunk of Thalia in my smaller pond. When I bought it they said it was red thalia, supposedly growing red stems, but it's only been green. Oh well.
I dug tons of dirt today...until it got so bloomin' hot! But at least my water fall area is starting to look like it's taking place. yay!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9622891

YIPPEY M. MARY. GLAD YOU ARE PROGRESSING ON YOUR POND AND WATERFALL.
I LOOKING FOR ROCKS FOR YOU BUT ONLY ONES AROUND ME ARE HUGE AND VERY POROUS AND WOULD NEED HEAVY EQUIP. TO MOVE THEM. I THINK YOU WANT SMALLER ONES RIGHT. ARE YOU USING THEM TO LINE PONDS?
GOT TO GO OUT AND GET INTO POND. FISH HAVE TORN ALL CALADIUM OUT OF LARGE POT AND SHREDING THEM.
LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR VISIT. HOPING YOU CAN GIVE ME SOME HINT ON WATER LILLIES MITTSY GAVE ME. THEY ARE STILL IN BIRDBATH AND I HAVE TO CLEAN OUT TADPOLES ALL THE TIME PLUS GREEN SLIME.
BONNIE
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9623319

wish I had tadpole problems, but alas I have not problems with baby anything in my pond ever, not in 13 years, no baby fish or frogs or snails or anything. Maybe you would like some of my rocks...LOL...I live so far away...but see my night view under 50 watt UV, its really cool, looks kinda like lava.

Thumbnail by quaqbe

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9623474

Love your lighting Q, Guess that what you call ambiance. Beautiful.
I'm from Conn. originally and we had rocks so bad you couldn't dig a post hole very easy. Rocks are shipped in here so they are $$$$. Pros still use them hence a $25,000 pond is usual. Not for me we build our own. I bought 1 flat of smoothed cobblestones for $450. and before that I had rocks in bottom of old pond and that was river rock which ws $85. for 1 yard. Now I have no rocks in either pond and much easier to clean. Cobblestones were for coping around newer pond and now plants have grown over them all I might as well remove them as use them someplace else.
Thanks for the pic. Looks lovely.
Bonnie
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9670535

Its been a while since I read or posted...sad news...I have lost ALL my koi, all five died and none of the experts here can tell me why, so Monday my guy is coming to power wash the pond and we'll let it sit for the winter and I'll restock in the spring. My golden koi was 10 years old and I cried when I took it to the garbage...after 13 years of ponding I never lost a fish and now in a weeks time i've lost all...see you all in the spring.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9670550

I am so very sorry for your loss. To have had them for such a long time surely built a wonderful relationship. And to not know why or how is terrible. Many here, as I am sure you know, have suffered such losses but I know that doesn't help. Spring will bring new pets and by then hopefully the hurt will have dulled.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9670563

Oh gosh...I'm so sorry to hear that! Most of us have had it happen at one time or another, for no apparent reason. It's very sad. I'm sorry for your loss...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9670716

Ditto with MerryMary. Downright shame. Very sorry.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9671062

So sorry to hear of your loss. It is so hard when we lose them.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 27, 2013
10:38 PM

Post #9672088

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost about 6 last year when a rat died and fell into the pond. Not a large pond and I think it contaminated the pond. Hope your guy can help.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9673615

sorry to hear the terrible news of your loss. Wow it is strange that all. Here's to next year being a great restart for you.

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9673634

I have managed to get a tank and have about 12 babies from the pond, various sizes, colors and growing fairly well. I thought it was a 55 gallon tank but now find it is only 25. Guess if I had been thinking and looking I could have figured that out. I know what a 55gallon oil barrel looks like. duh. But the guys are small, at least for now, and should make it through the winter with some comfort and should continue to grow til next spring when they go back into the pond.

Would someone remind me the ratios of salt to water. I looked it up and the ratios are pretty wild in swing.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2013
1:38 AM

Post #9673821

Mary

I shoot for about 3%. In Japan they typically are at a higher percent - I believe 7%. If you are talking about a salt bath, that concentration is higher and for a shorter period of time.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2013
9:40 AM

Post #9674137

Nope. Just treating the tank. Then the dose wouldn't have harmed them. We did a aprox 25% water change. I deleted two fish that were weak and small. I doubt they would have survived and if they did they would not have been very robust. Cold hearted? Maybe. But fewer fish in the tank now that I know it is much smaller in gallons than I thought. Thanks.
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9678427

thank you all for your kind expressions of sorrow. I did find out what may have been the cause. I had an ionizer put in during the spring cleanup after super storm Sandy, what the installer forgot to tell me is that once the algae was gone I was supposed to lower the intensity of the unit from 5 down to 1. Well the algae went away and the machine kept cranking out the copper ions. I am told that the ions had to attach to something and the fish were it, so they all died of heavy metal poisoning, I really felt guilty but it will never happen again. I bought 8 little fish and they have disappeared into the rock wall and its two weeks now and I have only seen my two frogs, maybe in the spring they will be a bit bigger and will come out in the open...what a painful learning experience.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9678542

Having shared what you learned you may prevent someone else from the same mistake. I had never heard of an ionizer. My fish disappear into the rocks when it first gets really cool then they come out a bit before winter really sets in. They move very slowly especially the larger (10" for me) ones. I call the biggest one a lunker as he is so much larger than his fellows. He was just 2+ inches when I bought him from Walmart along with two other koi and five shebunkin this spring. I had lost all of my koi and most of my goldfish to the winter. I have ordered something called Arctic Blend which is supposed to work down to 35F which is about what the water under the ice maintains. Perhaps that will help this winter. I am sure your little fellows will make a reappearance when they feel more secure.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9696009

I saw this this morning and thought it was pretty. It's the sunning shining through the floating water lily leaves, onto the bottom of the pond. Sort of like sunny day snow flakes! :)

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9696142

Beautiful MM!

Hoping we won't have real snowflakes here anytime soon!

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9696144

What a neat photo. And, OH, sunshine -- uh, I think it is. Been so long since I have seen it I'm not sure. Only kidding. But I will be saying that around January.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9702783

I was in talking with one of the smaller fish shops the other day. We got to talking about my pond and the problems I have had over wintering. He said if I brought in a water sample about mid-winter he would check it for oxygen. He also said he gets calls from time to time from people or businesses that are shutting down tanks or pond and want to get rid of fish. They just called me and asked if I would like two koi between 2.5 and 3'. I told him I would love to take them but I doubt they would survive and besides my pond is too small for them. 2800 gallons isn't enough. Wish I could box them up and send them down to you all but it would probably cost more than the fish were worth. Would have to be same day air for them to make it.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9702977

Man! When someone offers me fish that large for free, I take them! (especially if they're free!)
With oxygen and a filter, I've seen extremely large fish in very small surroundings, do incredibly well. May be worth a try?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9703012

But we are heading into winter. I would have to get them dormant. Slowly acclimate them to 40 degree water. And how the heck do you do that with 2' fish. I read how Bonnie fought with her big Momma. Those suckers are strong. I don't know how they would even transport them. Bags? Buckets? I don't want to take them just to kill them. Although I don't know who around here could accommodate fish that big. I will send a note to one other guy who has a pond here and has been successful with some of his koi. His pond might make it.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9703349

Oberon46 wrote:But we are heading into winter. I would have to get them dormant. Slowly acclimate them to 40 degree water. And how the heck do you do that with 2' fish. I read how Bonnie fought with her big Momma. Those suckers are strong. I don't know how they would even transport them. Bags? Buckets? I don't want to take them just to kill them. Although I don't know who around here could accommodate fish that big. I will send a note to one other guy who has a pond here and has been successful with some of his koi. His pond might make it.

ooohhhh!!!!... you don't need to take a bath this winter. Overwinter them in your bathtub! :-)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9703358

Good lord. You just crack me up. No, the bathtub is too small.

I just went out at 7:30 am. Skies are just getting light; clear and cold. Ice is just forming around the eastern edge of the pond. Time to bring in the pressure filter. I got to the pond just in time to see a shebunkin loft himself out of the pond. Then did it again before going to hide. So what's up with that? Here we go. Winter is upon us and I am starting to fret. The falls are still running. It isn't oxygen depletion by a long shot. I am adding cold water bacteria every two weeks. Should I add something else in case there is a cold water bad guy active in my pond. And if so, why now. The fish were fine although I haven't seen the big guys in a day or two but that is not unusual. Maybe the shebunkin is just going for a last hurrah before the ice cap forms??
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9703690

They make a cold water "good" bacteria you can add if you want...it keeps the bad guys down while the water is more dormant. The first spring warm up is when the bad guys come out of dormancy, just like your fish, and you get the spring skin lesions. You've really worked on your water quality this year, so keeping my fingers crossed that things will go well for you this season!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9703802

Okay. I will just hope.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9704084

It was 28F this morning and supposed to be in the upper teens tonight. Will get the deicers in today in the shallows; the skimmer and the deep end where the water falls are are still open water. That one little shebunkin is still out and about but slowed down a bunch. Just drifting along. When I hit him with the spot light he drifts back into the cavern. Soon the ice will be too thick and then when we have a light drift of snow it is goodbye to the fish for the winter. No visuals after that. Will continue to add the cold water bacteria although if the bacteria goes dormant in the cold water after the fish do I am not sure what the point is. I would stop the end of November and start up again through the ice holes in say March 1st to get a jump on stuff growing ahead of the fish waking up. A good time to dose with something to counteract any bad guys also waking up. Not going to use Proform. Suggestions? I know you have told me a gazillion times what your regimine is but just ONE more time. Pretty please?? :) Carolyn?? I suspect your regime is more like mine that those lucky ducks down in Florida.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2013
2:18 PM

Post #9704282

Your right Oberon. No regime here. Just wash out filtration material, vac. bottom and might cover with netting if leaves get too many. Only other thing I can think of is I stop feeding when water temp. drops to 40.

We are heading north early tomorrow. No. Fl. that is. Grand dgt. may get married.
Said she wasn't sure. I told her don't do it if your not sure. Told her we are overdue for visit anyhow. Haven't seen her in years. My dentist told me this morning that was the 3rd. maybe wedding he had heard of for this weekend. Easier to change your mind before than after. Temps next 3 days up there are 66,72 and72, For me thats great. Now 28 Ug!!!

I don't know about you all fish in the bathtub. LOL I won't even let anybody put them in my pool. Lord knows it would hold a bunch of them but I'd rather reserve it for me.
Good luck Oberon & Carolyn as you prepare to shut down for the winter.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9704345

We are starting to get cold too - I am hoping this winter is not as long and as cold as last winter.

Mary (Oberon) - I do salt my pond before I shut down. I salt to 3-4%, so that the fish form a slime coat for the winter. Really haven't had the problems in the spring with the fish that we had before we started salting the water. I have to believe given your locale, that you are ahead of me on this...I go by the temperature of the pond water.

Right now, I am still skimming leaves and emptying my skimmer a couple times a day. We vacuumed a couple of weeks ago, but I think we are going to need to vacuum again. Too many leaves have gone into the bottom of the pond and I don't want the fish overwintering in them.

Soon we will be putting in the deicers and bring in my pumps, pressure filters and uv lights. We don't circulate the water during the winter, but use the deicers to keep a hole in the ice.

Around March - sometimes, it is later like Aprilish, we are able to get a pump at a time outside and running in the pond. I always look forward to that!

In the spring, we do the water exchanges and vacuum. This also takes care of any salt that is left in the water. We use the Microbelift Spring Start up to get things going. What I really like about the ML Start up is it comes in those packets that you just have to throw into the water - no measuring or messing around with anything.

I have always wondered if the circulating of the water in your pond during the winter, is super chilling your water and resulting in fish death. I know I read an article a while ago where fish can get ice crystals in their gills. How cold does it get where you are?

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9704380

We actually only circulated once last winter and yes they all dies but four. But Damien put the hoses directly into their caves. I think that was a mistake. Too much agitation. I don't think it super chills the water as the temp at the bottom is the same as at the top. I spent one winter with a thermometer that was weighted and tested bottom versus top. No appreciable difference. I was told that my pond isn't deep enough to have a thermal effect.

The only other person I know with koi up here runs his pump all winter. I falls down a rock face about 3' to the pond below. It ices over but continues to run drawing water from the bottom and circulating it to the top. He has a couple of large koi. But, big difference, this pond is virtually built against his foundation on the north side. So Damien insists his pond gets a warming effect from that. I don't know that Jon ever has tested his temp in the winter. He is kind of a purist and the last time I spoke with him (a few years ago) he didn't add bacteria even. Strange. I went over a few months ago and peeked in his pond which is close to the front street and saw live active koi. Go figure.

I got the barley stuff you were talking about, have a good supply of Algaway for the spring, lots of spring start up and PL, plus Arctic Blend bacterial that continues to be active below 40F. Some arctic bacteria they found. I am going to run the pump as Jon does, sucking water from the deep end (the shallow end can get solid ice almost to the bottom in a really cold winter (30") so the pump has to stay below that ice cap. Then again it could be only about 6" like last winter. I am going to build my tripod this weekend and Damien will bring in the pumps and UV except for the one that stays in the bottom of the deep end. It's the only thing we haven't tried.

I saw that silly shebunkin laying in the pond kind of part way up the wall like he was dead. I was so disgusted I went and got a skimmer to fish him out. Darned if he wasn't alive. Hope I didn't hurt him trying to swish him away from the rocks. He went down into the caves.

Maybe a little Proform would be a good additive in the spring in case anything nasty develops? That way I would get it killed off before the fish come out of dormancy. The pond is clean, two vacuuming and lots of skimming so I am okay with that. I think what makes it look bad in the spring is that there are leaves left on the trees and it blows onto the snow, then as it melts in the spring it sinks into the pond. But for the winter, it is frozen in and shouldn't be affecting the water quality.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9704721

I agree with Damien that the neighbors pond is warmer because it buts up to the house. How far is your pond from the house?

I am wondering if perhaps the 4 goldfish survived because the water was not being circulated like before. I have noticed over the years, that my fish tend to lie in the pond where they will get the most warmth. One would think they would like the deeper end where there are no lily baskets, but that is not the case.

Time will tell. I am hoping this winter is easier than last winter. I thought last winter would never end and it was so cold.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9704748

I think you got the worst of last winter. Ours was really mild. The pond is a good 20' from the back of the house. This morning is was completely frozen over. Only inside the skimmer, where the one deicer in the shallows is, and the running falls kept any open water. And not much of that by the falls. I need to get a deicer in there in addition to the falling water.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9704798

My deicers are not in yet either. The weather looks like it is supposed to dip, but then come right back up again. I was very surprised when our first hard frost this year was into the first week in November. Generally it is mid October. The frost being later is pushing back when I dig my dahlias. Oh well.

I just picked up 8 - 4# boxes of pickling salt to put into the pond. I will probably be doing that tomorrow. I think I need more, but not sure. I know that I journaled it somewhere :-)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9704846

Oh yes. All those very important notes that somehow get lost or/and forgotten. I guess I figure if I go to the bother of printing them and keeping them that I will automatically know when it is time to pull them out. I took pics of the pond and will try to get them posted today.

My dahlias have been asleep for at least a month. Next week I need to give the iris, geranium, and my one rose a little drink for the winter layover.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9704941

Mary
I do my journaling for my pond, gardens and recipes on DG. I tried before to do hard copies and they either get lost or there is just too much stuff lying around.

Looking forward to you photos.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9705443

well, here are the pond pictures. Some were taken yesterday and three this morning.

#1 and #2 were yesterday; #3 and #4 were this morning. The white is just the ice building not snow. I thought the last one was pretty with the moss getting covered with ice.

Tomorrow it is supposed to go up to the 40's. Hope so or we will freeze shutting down the bio-well and all the pumps. D shouldn't have waited so long. He is just so busy. At least I have finished battening down the hatches in the garage and shed.

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9705553

Wow Mary! It even looks cold!

I was out emptying the skimmer this morning at 6:30 am. I also checked the pond water temp and the water is 42 degrees. The fish are moving around, but slowly. They still have that innate curiosity when you stick somthing in the water or monkey with rocks. When I put the thermometer in,they come over to see what I was doing.

Hubs wants to leave the pumps running during the winter. I really don't want to change anything, because it has all been working - so why fix something that isn't broken. I think with his health problems are making things harder for him, but I keep telling him that I will do it.

You would be so proud of me - I got off my dupa (yes, I know it is a Polish word - I got that from my old boss) and walked a nice brisk walk late this afternoon for 35-40 minutes. I don't feel so sleepy anymore! :-)

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9705574

Good for you. The only caveat on running the pumps that I see is that I am watching ice form along the falls path and if the ice forges paths that take the water out of the path it could drain the pond. That is why I am going to run the hose from the bottom to the end of the falls at the last dump in so no way it can escape the sides.

It finally snowed and now it is freezing rain. I went to the yarn shop to knit but when I heard about freezing rain I came home. Most people are pretty careful but there is always the errant nut who can't figure out that things have changed and he simply cannot barrel down the road forever trying to be first. I have only had my car since March and won't risk it. D just bought a new 4x4 and he left it home and took his little Ford Focus to work. Smaller target. lol I'm going to get the fireplace going, make a cup of tea, and knit at home.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9705589

Sounds nice Mary. Something cozy about the scene I have pictured in my mind.

One of my worries about leaving things running is I have heard too often how the ice formations can divert the water and very quickly empty a pond.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9705658

Mary

You have an incredible pond, HUGE pond, wow... The maintenance on it would be more than I could handle at this age, but oh so beautiful to see what others have.

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9706148

Well, it's done. It started sleeting before we were finished an now it is just a gently drifting snow. Pictures to follow after a nice hot B52 coffee by the fire.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9706178

Okay. Here it is. We really pushed the envelope this year ahead of, like right ahead of, the weather. There is ice under the sheen of water. the orange in the water are leaves not fish.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2013 4:08 PM

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9706180

Just a couple more including one of myself. You can tell that despite the miserable weather, frozen fingers and chilled body I enjoy the work, especially with DH as we have so little time together. We are going to try to leave the water spout running all winter. Assume it will form an ice sheath but should still circulate water, drawing from the caves to oxygenate. It won't super chill as the hose will soon be buried in snow and it should provide insulation to the water.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2013 4:10 PM

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9706181

Oh the final picture. You can see the snow.

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9706212

An hour or so after we finished we have about 1" of snow.

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9706324

One and one half hours later

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46         

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9706666

Looks like you finished just in the nick of time!

is this typical for this time of year in Anchorage?

You look like such a nice lady :-)

I have to get moving with mine. I need to vacuum again and get my salt in. I really wanted to net the pond this year, but got a lot of arguments from DH on doing that. I understand the shrubbery is larger now than it was before, but I gave in so I wouldn't have to listen to it. Oh well.

Anyway, I took the water temp this past weekend and was surprised the temps were at 42 degrees. I had thought it would have been cooler than that.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9706667

That's beautiful! It's larger than what I pictured. Those pictures DO make me chilly though!
I love the levels of the waterfall.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9706741

I looked at last year and these are two pics from then. The first is 11-10 and the second is 11-22. Next two are from 2011, 11-5 and 11-12. so looks like we are just about on time for snow and freezing. The last pic is of the moss in the falls. it gets bigger each year and is really pretty this time of year.

Thanks for the nice compliment Carolyn. I figure I should be brave and have D take a pic of me. Always so shocking to me as I don't feel as old as I look. I can still pick up a 50# frozen flower box full of wet dirt (not too gracefully) and work outside in rotten weather.

I kept looking online for your pics Carolyn as I thought you were going to close it all up this weekend. Guess you didn't get to it yet. Is DH going to be able to help much?

This message was edited Nov 11, 2013 10:49 AM

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9706975

Mary

I haven't gotten to the pond yet - probably be around Thanksgiving or so. Generally we close up between Thanksgiving and the first week in December. It has been as late as the 10th of December, but somehow I don't think that will happen this year.

I feel the same way everytime I look in the mirror too - I cannot beleive I am this age - seems like we were all just in high school! My son will be 30 this coming summer - wow! Time does fly, doesn't it?

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9706986

Yup. Mine turned 39 and 42 in September. Grandkids 12 and 21.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9706996

Great picture of yourself, but tell me one thing, as I use to live just south of Cleveland OH and the snow we got because we were in the southern snow belt fr the lake was just too much for this native Floridian, how do you stand the cold? I mean don't you have cold 9-10 months out of the year?

Jan
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9707078

Jan, I'm from Chagrin Falls, and as a child I remember going to school all summer one year, to make up for all of our snow days. Miss looking at a beautiful Christmas scene from time to time, but don't miss living in it (although I miss spring daffodils!)
It's funny, that even though I live in a year round state now, I don't seem to get as much done as all of you who only have half a year of outdoor activity! :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9707098

Anchorage isn't that cold unless the wind blows. And the cold of winter only lasts from maybe now til the middle of March. So figure 5 months. Gradual drop and gradual raise. Same with sunshine. 20 hours in June and 5 in December or thereabouts. And the schools stay open pretty much all the time. Maybe if there was rain on ice they might cancel.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9707150

Oh Mary I can hardly believe you only have to endure winter for 5 months... WOW,

MerryMary, Chagrin Falls, I remember that area well, they have the most beautiful fall leaves the drives in that area are wonderful, plus not to mention the shops...LOL I drove over to Kissimmee the other day to see how far it was, nice drive on 50 other there, and found it only took up 1 1/2 hours, and I wasn't even driving the speed limit, to much to see on the way over...LOL

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9707412

Well, the growing season is from May to Sept, so it's even. The other two months are transition, our spring.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9707488

that doesn't sound too bad. What is the lowest your temps drop to during the winter? DH wants to live up there, but this FL native says noooooooooooo. Cleveland was bad enough to last me a life time of cold.

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9707513

Maybe the only difference between here and Cleveland is that we are prepared for our weather with manpower and machinery. As soon as the snow hits, they are blading the main roads and hit the neighborhoods before we are neck deep. If you want a more objective look at Anchorage (take it from me you would hate Fairbanks) take a look here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/weather/longterm/historical/data/anchorage_alaska.htm

My mother lasted 13 years in Fairbanks and left. Course that was from 1954-67 and the weather was much worse then and the ice fog was awful. It is better now. Warmer and I don't believe in global warming; it just is.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9707518

My water flowing pipe was interesting this morning. Has only taken two days to form the ice. I broke it off right after taking the picture. Will try to keep it open all winter if I can.

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46         

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9707693

That is really neat looking, Mary.

I woke up during the middle of the night and saw snow on my neighbor's deck. I went back to bed and when I got up this morning it was still there - I was not thrilled, but definitely glad I had remembered to take pick up my coat from the dry cleaner.

I still have so much to do to get ready for winter and seem to be running out of time. I know we are supposed to have a warm up here shortly, so I am hoping that buys me the next 2 weeks until around Thanksgiving, so I have the time off to get things ready for winter.

I see my fish are sitting at the bottom of the pond. March is a long way off.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9707807

OK you 2 snow bunnies. Enjoy that snow and my share too.

Just got home from N. Fl. Sun. and it was supposed to go to 36 up there this Thursday. My husb. was ready to leave. Wedding went beautifully and I'm glad I went so I could help. Traffic on 75 was horrendous coming home but made it OK.
I set the cruise on 80 and was being passed like I was sitting still. Kind of hairy for an old gal like me but I made it and was glad to get home.

Tomorrow I'm going for 3 days with girlfriends to Vero Beach. I love the ocean. Can't turn down a free time share condo right on the waterfront. I'm sure it will be too cold to go swiming but just seeing the ocean is great for me. Was raised quite near it in Conn. I told DH I'll be home for the rest of the winter I'm sure as I have a pool that needs draining, cleaning and painting.

Big fish are all still swiming and old pond they are very active. Why I don't know but it is green with algae so will have to get some clarifier when I get home and tend to that also. It's great to never suffer from boredom but sometimes I need a break.
Oberon your pond is lovely and I sure hope everybody in it survives this winter.
Every time I think of you and Carolyn I shiver. Couldn't take that cold anymore. Every place has its pros and cons. It's all what your used to. I have friends that tell me Alaska is just beautiful but they have never been there during the winter.
Take care all.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9707838

BonnieGardens wrote:
Every time I think of you and Carolyn I shiver.

Bonnie - I shiver too and have lived in the North East for most of my life. My family is here though and that is what is important to me.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 13, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9708133

Bonnie, Is your UV lightbulb getting weak? They only last about a year, even if you see it still glowing. You can also try blowing the hose through it, they sometimes condense with gunk inside, so the water stops making contact with the light.
We have gail force winds today...things are blowing around my back yard. By Saturday it will be 80 again, so go figure. (I'm still crock-potting beef brisket and barley soup!)
The water lilies are still blooming, but I can see some of the other plants thinking about slowing down for the winter. If we get too chilly, I'll have to pull the prettiest of the fancy tail guppies and bring them indoors for the winter, so I have attractive breeders in the spring.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9708197

Mary

No way could I handle that... I developed sinus polyp disease while in Oh and now the cold sets off sinus infection ASAP. I really don't miss the snow, as there are too many idiot drivers, funny how the older you get the more wisdom you have about getting out and driving on snowy roads...LOL I wouldn't mind coming in the warmest part of summer to Alaska, but you can keep it the other times of the year...

Bonnie

Hope your time in Vero Beach is great, I love it there, we use to go there when we lived in KY, as we came down in July every other year... but now that I'm on the west coast, I love it here.

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2013
10:33 AM

Post #9708288

Hey, I read this at another site in relation to having a gazillion baby fry. Do you suppose it is true:

"If you have too many fry, I've read that Golden Orfes will take care of the problem. "
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9708506

Didn't go to beach today. Too windy and cool for me. Then my friend calls me and says its 72 over there and we are supposed to dip down to around 50 tonight. Go figure.
I know what you mean Carolyn about leaving family. It sure was hard for me but we were just going to try it here. Thats was 43 years ago. Now I have no one close to me left up north so I'll just stay until I'm planted.
MM put in new UV bulbs in May of this year. I will see if they just need cleaning as I iknow they can get mucked up easily.
Happy ponding all.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 13, 2013
7:09 PM

Post #9708594

Hmm...I'm not sure, my orfes have always been in a separate mini-pond area. They themselves actually bred like crazy. The guppies have been breeding like crazy all summer, but only a small group are really pretty...they rest are mud-puppy looking.
Bonnie, it was so overly windy today...and Chilly! I had a hoodie and sweat pants on today. Unfortunately, working outside means you constantly change outfits to deal with it, but never get to escape it. Put soup in the crock pot before I left to go to work...it was exactly what I needed once I got home.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9708617

Yeah. I have been making creations half recipe, half creative but all good for the time of year. Plus it reduces the meat intake and uses up the salmon in the freezer. Eating some vegies that I have not before tried. D is on board with it. Now if I could just learn not to make the entire recipe (enough for a small third world country) so we have leftovers for a week. lol Gave some of the last batch to the neighbors. She hates to cook and subsequently doesn't. Works for me.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9708905

Mary

I hear ya on cutting back recipes... just told DH about that with regards to his KY chili, I said we don't need enough to last 2 weeks...LOL So he did manage a little less, so we will have enough for two different nights, which is perfect. He did the same with the veg beef soup he made last week...LOL

You mentioned salmon, we love it, is your caught by you or store purchased? My DH makes grilled salmon with linguine noodles with garlic butter on both... yummy.

Stay warm, and be careful on the roads.

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9708921

My husband goes to Chitna on the Copper River each year and dipnets for salmon. We cut it into filets and shrink wrap. Some we freeze and some we smoke. It lasts all year even with giving some away. Still costs more than store bought allowing for the time off from work for him, gas to and from Chitna. But we know where it came from and he rarely takes off time so this is his one big 'vacation' each year. Your husband's recipe for grilled salmon with linguine sounds luscious. We usually just steam rice or make salad to go with it.

It was a freezing rain last night and is up to 33F today so the roads are indeed slippery. Will only venture out to the store, yarn shop and home during non rush hours. May take Woody for a walk. He is seriously overdue.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9709933

Drained down old pond today and vacuumed it and it is refilling now. Almost 10PM.
Tomorrow will go to Petco and get algaeside. Hopefully it will clean up.
Skimmer was loaded with leaves so I vacuumed that out and all around pump wich was loaded also. Had to get into pond and without sunshine it was a bit cool. A little drizzle of rain but didn't amount to anything. Bigger pond with big fish is cleaner so will just add some algaeside to that just in case.
Geeze Oberon be careful on roads. Reminds me of when I was little in Conn.
My husb. loves salmon but rarely gets any. Very expensive in stores here. I don't care for it so I told him to buy a small piece for himself. Don't really know how to cook it right but he can. He is a wiz at chilli making. Makes a stock pot full and then freezes in butter bowls. I call it toxic waste. Don't like hot foods.
Take care all and happy ponding!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2013
5:24 AM

Post #9710127

Bonnie - tell hubs to put the salmon on the grill. I love it that way! After it is grilled, one of my favorite ways to serve it is on top of a dinner salad - with the dressing and everything, it all just tastes so good.

I need to vacuum my pond again - Hopefully tomorrow. Today is supposed to be the nicer of the days this weekend, but I am taking my grandson to the bazaar at church so he can do his Christmas shopping. We are meeting my Dad there - I hope my grandson has fun - I think I am probably looking forward to it more than he is!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9710230

sounds like a wonderful day at the bazaar. Enjoy
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9710445

Had a wonderful time at the bazaar - I saw many people I had not seen in so many years. I used to go to that church when I was a child, so it brought back many memories and thoughts of people that have passed and those that have moved. So good to see my Dad as well. He is getting on in years, but does well.

When I came home from the bazaar with my grandson, I was so pleasantly surprised - DH had gotten the rest of the leaves out of the pond. Next weekend I will probably salt and then after that, it will be a waiting game to see when the pond water is in the mid to 30's. That is when we bring in the pumps and put in the deicers - cannot believe we are to this point already, however we have generally shut down between Thanksgiving and the first week of December.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9710457

We are gradually slipping down into the mid 20's so the pond is pretty well iced. Wish it was as clear and pristine in the summer as it looks now; well, the parts that aren't covered in ice. It's just the stuff that floats on the surface, little stuff, that ruins the clarity of the pond. I can still see to the bottom but not as nicely as it is now. Just like glass.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9710896

Carolyn, glad you enjoyed the bazaar.

Down in the 20's. BRRRRRRR
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9712383

4F this morning. pond totally under ice except for deicers. Even running water from pipe 2' over pond is iced in with water flowing from pipe into pond within the ice sheath. Headed toward minus degrees. Brrrrr.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2013
11:35 AM

Post #9712466

Oberon46 wrote:4F this morning. pond totally under ice except for deicers. Even running water from pipe 2' over pond is iced in with water flowing from pipe into pond within the ice sheath. Headed toward minus degrees. Brrrrr.

ughhh!!! is this normal for you this time of year? Minus?!!

Stay warm. Time to make some soup!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2013
11:58 AM

Post #9712480

Not unheard of. Made a nice irish lamb stew last night with corn bread. Nice warm comfort food.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9712643

Sounds good. I haven't had a lamb stew in forever.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2013
6:43 PM

Post #9712712

lamb stew, Yummy, but I'm a fried corn bread lover...

Right after my DH and I were married I met him for lunch at his work, and he came back to the table with beef stew and what looked like pancakes, I asked him why he was eating pancakes with beef stew and he is looking all over his plate for pancakes and finally realizes I'm talking about the fried corn bread. I had never seen or heard of fried corn bread and after he made some I was hooked. The regular corn bread is just too dry for me...

Jan
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 20, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9712845

MINUS DEGREES!!!?? YIPES!! Can't even imagine. Although I was born in the snow-belt, I've been in Florida for 35 years and my blood has thinned out way too much to handle the cold now.
Lamb I can handle morning, noon, and night, though!! My family came down from Ohio and we put 3 whole bone-in legs on the grill. Delicious! I've been eating lamb leftovers all week.
Should be in the low 80s for the next few days, but then on Sunday it drops 20 degrees to low 60s. That kind of temp drop overnight messes with the fish and plants. I'm going to try to get the filters cleaned before the drop, and get all plants watered very well while the sun can warm the ground.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9712953

For those that can find it, if you have every had the joy of eating Icelandic lamb, do, is the best. Years back I was interested in raising them, as they are triple purpose breed. The meat is incredible, the wool is equally wonderful, so many natural colors with two different textures. (I'm a spinner) and you can even milk them for the most incredible cheese... a win win

Just in case you might want to find a breeder, check out http://www.isbona.com this is the group that list the breeders and then you can contact them to see what they might have. Mary in your part of the world your environment is the closes to their native homeland. LOL

Jan
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 20, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9713009

Jan...How interesting! I vote you still get a pair! :)
My brother and sister in law, in Ohio, had alpacas. Their fur is soooo overly soft. My grandkids have teddy bears made our of apaca fur, I've never felt anything like it! When I was little, we raised chinchillas. I'm not in to fur pelts, but sheared wools from different animals always amaze me. I'm lucky to not have any alergies, so don't worry about wool or angora, etc, like others. What do you make when once you spin?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9713012

Sounds like an interesting deal. Had I more property I would surely be tempted. Love lamb, knit and could learn to spin or perhaps trade the wool for quiviut, and husband can't drink regular milk.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2013
1:02 PM

Post #9713108

I just loved spinning and with their wool you can spin the fine wool into such soft skeins that you can make undergarments with it... and the outer wool you can go as far to make rope... but the best thing I found with the wool is it is the fastest felting wool I have ever worked with. I even came up with a felting technique where to felt in a zip lock baggie.

MerryMary, FL is way to humid for them to make it here, they might last for a little while, but I couldn't see putting them through it. I had a friend back in KY where we lived before having to move to northern OH and she has a small herd, but they have lots of fans running in the barns from March through October, for them as KY is very similar to FL in regards to the humidity, KY just doesn't have the wonderful sea breezes.

Mary

Their milk is good, very rich, the butter is excellent as the cheese is very delicate. I think your husband would like it. The cow milk sold in stores isn't really milk at all after all the pasteurization that has gone on with it, that is why so many people can't drink it these days. Goat and sheeps milk is the best. Goats milk will even cure stomach ulcers, well at least it did for my grandfather.

Iceland sheep have so many unique qualities and are such a beautiful breed of sheep, they even have leader sheep, which is usually a ewe, and they can sense when a storm is coming and these ewes have been credited with saving herds by getting them back to the barns before the storms hit.

I could go on for ever...lol

Jan

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9713166

Jan - perhaps I would do better with the wool from the Icelandic lambs - I am so allergic to wool. I always have been - I am cotton girl - love cotton.

I don't think I could eat anything I raised though (veggies don't count). I am sure I would get so attached to the babies, but then I am attached to my fish as well.

Mary - Oberon - so I need to come to you with my crochet questions now that my Gramma is gone.

MM - I am jealous of your 80's. We have been in the 40's and I am already freezing.

Bonnie - you are so quiet - I hope all is well.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 20, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9713276

At one point I had inherited my grandmothers spinning wheel. Just fooled around with it as a kid, after I thought I was cool once returning from Girl Scout camp. Never really went beyond that, but it was fun at the time. Recently tried to crochet again, but wasn't taught properly the first time, and everything I make just gets curly. :)
I had a friend who was an old fashioned loomer, and made beautiful blankets, but bought her yarn. My sister in law wove beautiful baskets, from anything she could find around her farm. Pine needles, grape vines, willows...just beautiful! She also had bees and made wax ornaments for Christmas, by molding it into the large cookie clay molds (like Brown Paper Bag or Longenberger molds) I love the traditional talents. I think that's why I love the koi ponds so much, there's just something organic about it.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9713285

Carolyn if it is possible to help with knitting online I would be more than glad to help. Pictures help too. I am deep into knitting now. Still a novice but growing every day.

How I wish I had room for sheep and goats and bees and chickens; know they would be tons of work but it would be so rewarding. I could eat chickens but not the lambs or goats; would grow too attached like MerryMary. But eggs, wool, milk, butter, yogurt, honey... yeah.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9713320

A few more pictures as we move into winter: the first three were on Nov 17. The last two were taken early in the morning (still dark) and while the snow looks dirty it isn't. Just shadowy

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 20, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9713352

I know it's cold, but it's also so beautiful and sparkly! Great photos!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9713359

This is the best way to deal with snow, by looking at pictures. Oh Mary, I hope the winter goes by fast for you and yours and that yall will have a early spring so you can see your fish soon.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9713389

Don't know what I look more forward to; planting seeds or seeing my fish. Either way it will be the end of March or middle April.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9713539

At 4:30 this morning Damien asked if I was awake. I said yes, I was thinking about the pond. He had also been doing so since about 2am. He had a plan, so we got up, bundled up (it is just a little abobe zero, and hauled 5 gallons of hot water to open the hole at the top of the peak of ice. The water was flowing outside the peak and forming a huge sheet of ice on top of the pond. Essentially emptying the pond. We broke the pipe loose from the top of the peak, pulled the hose and wired it to the pipe with the hose down the ice hole to within 4-6" above the water. I have to haul some hot water out the thaw out the deicer at the shallow end as the draw down of water has left it rather high and dry - with ice under it- no hole. So I will haul buckets of hot water down there to thaw that out AFTER some hot coffee. Wasn't outside long enough to get cold though. Jeans, sweat pants, scarf, sweatshirt, down jacket, scarf etc. Actually fairly light weight compared to what we wore in Fairbanks @ -30 to -50. lol

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9713614

Mary

-30 to -50 below how in the world do humans survive in that... I'm cold just thinking about you being out at -0 working. I know my asthma would have a fit in that weather.

Drink plenty of warm fluids and be safe.

Your fish are luck to have you both.

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9713616

Past -25 you can't tell the difference very much. You just get colder faster and anything exposed can get frostbit pretty quickly. And you never pick up anything like a tireiron with your bare hands. Learned that the hard way changing a tire once.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9713621

ouch!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9713714

Mary - are you adding tap water? You may want to add some dechlorinator.

I may hit you up for knitting help. It will be fun.

We are colder than normal here - I hope that this is not an indication of how the winter will be going.

I have not shut down the pond yet. Typically that is between Thanksgiving and the first week or so of December. It needs to wait until I am off for Thanksgiving weekend - a five day weekend for me.

Hubs used to shut down and start up, but I think it will be me again. This type of thing is becoming more difficult for him.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9713723

Our water has about zero chlorine. I add it straight to my frog tank and my indoor fish tank (the one with babies from the pond) and have tested many times. Always shows no chlorine at all.

I am sorry you husband isn't doing so well. Puts quite a burden on you. Don't wait til it is too terribly cold and wet to shut things down. You can't afford to become ill yourself. D says that we are headed to a warmer spot this weekend. I am going to try to get another deicer in the pond. I took two buckets of hot water out and got the one by the skimmer thawed out of the ice and floating in water again. The water is way low in the shallows, only maybe 8" from a norm of 30" . I may run the hose out this afternoon as we have warmed up from 7 to 9F. lol.

Anytime I can help with the knitting give a holler. One of these days I swear I am going to just get on a plane and fly down to visit with you all, Dave Gardener's friends. Would make a great trip I think.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9713773

Wait until Bonnie has a Round-Up! I think she should have a ponders RU this time! :)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9713775

I would love to attend a ponders RU, I want a pond so bad, but really don't know the first thing about starting or maintaining. LOL

Jan
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9713835

Jan - seems like a ponder RU would be a great place to start. Think about all the people that are there with up and running and the plants they would share with you.

Mary - I just watched the weather - we are into it early this year. Not sure I can wait, but I need to have a block of time to get it done. This is the earliest it has ever been. 2 or 3 years ago we were into around the 10th of December.

Thanks for the well wishes on hubs. He has a procedure tomorrow, so I will be taking the day off.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9713908

Just tell me the date and as long as it isn't the first weeks of October I will try to make it. Will be in Europe with DH at that time. First trip like that ever.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9713922

Jan, Bonnie and I are close enough to walk you through it.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9713925

thank you Mary, and I know Bonnie is more than willing. This project will have to wait till I find employment and then after 6 months then I'll be ready.

Jan
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9714014

Bonnie hasn't chimed in lately, I think I'll check on her...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2013
7:53 PM

Post #9714029

HI ALL,
Been occupied with cell phone, home phone problems. Also, bought a new computer and haven't had the time to hook it up. Probably will take me some time to do that as I'm not a techy as you all know.
I've got plants blooming now that should have bloomed during the summer but I'm happy to see them any time.
Just rec'd a new bulb for the UV on old pond. Hope to get it installed tomorrow as pond is green as grass. Fish don't seem to care but I sure do. Big ones in larger pond are doing fine. It is clear thank God.
Activities are getting busy at church also. Bought 4 turkeys so I can give some away as theres always someone that can use one.
Also, involved with trying to give my son 5 acres of our property. Went to County offices other day and what a hassel is involved. Waiting for first step and thats for it to be surveyed as it has to be within 6 mos. of deeding. We have to prove that we raise cows and sell some to keep our agtriculture exemption. If we loose that we will never be able to pay the high taxes. They also have an impact fee on him bldg. a new house. We have to get all papers submitted by Jan. 12 or impact fee will be $6,800. And it goes up higher after that and he said he won't build if that happens.
Talk about highway robbery.
Carolyn, I know just what you mean with a husb. going downhill and having to do more around home. I will pray for strength for both of us.
Oberon, just looking at your pond gave me the chills.
Jan will always be available to help out with your pond.
Merry Mary, I'm hoping during this cooler period you get time to dig your pond.
All, for now just wanted to let you know I'm still kicking.
Sydney (sugarweed) is thinking about a RU in Okeechobee. I won't have time probably until into Jan.
Happy ponding.
Bonnie

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9714037

Bonnie

Glad to here your ok, sorry to hear about the issues with the land for your son. Gosh nothing is easy anymore. What is this world coming to. So Glad I'm the age I am.

Jan
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9715218

Hi All,
Boy this PC is way smarter than me. Has a built in webcam which I will really enjoy once I learn it. Got so in Cal. I can talk to and see at same time.
Don't expect anything fancy from me until I get adapted to it. I did however transfers 100's o pics to a flash drive by myself. Made me proud.
Happy ponding to all.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2013
6:37 PM

Post #9715291

Suit up for the 21st century Bonnie. Sounds like you are pulling way ahead of me.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 23, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9715295

Bonnie...I'm proud of you for trying anything new!! I'm not really great about tech stuff, but I often look at the under water cameras that go from your pond to your tv or computer.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9715541

MerryMary wrote:Bonnie...I'm proud of you for trying anything new!! I'm not really great about tech stuff, but I often look at the under water cameras that go from your pond to your tv or computer.

I am not big on change - must be I am getting older. My hat is off to you Bonnie.

Question - where did you get the underwater set up from your pond to your tv and computer? I would love to have something like that.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2013
10:31 AM

Post #9715661

Okay. I missed that. Me too. I would love the sit in my house and watch my fish doing fishy things. :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9715968

Bonnie's Plants sells them. Also Pondtastic Water Gardens right in Orlando, Fl. has them too. He has it running inside of his bldg. probably to keep an eye on his fish as pond is out front of the bldg. right near a sidewalk.
I think its pretty cool.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 25, 2013
4:50 AM

Post #9716076

http://www.bonniesplants.com/KoiCam.html

Here's the link. During the day she turns the camera on and you can see her fish swimming around.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9716344

thanks for the url. Will take a look. Would need the 165 feet to reach my tv
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9716416

I would love to have that myself - it is a little out of my price range at this time.

We are in a deep freeze here and when I was leaving this morning for work, I saw where there was ice on the pond. We will be shutting it down tonight after work. I am not looking forward to this. This will be the earliest we have ever shut it down since we started ponding in 2000.

Brrrrrr...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9716617

You have my sympathy. Ours was also frozen over when we shut down. Yuk.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 25, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9716636

Wednesday night will be 37 degrees, which is VERY unusual for us, especially in November. It will most likely kill my smaller fish like guppies and mollies, which inhabit my water lily shallow areas. I currently have a billion fry, so they will for sure be goners. After that it will be in the 50's, but all it takes is one cold night in the shallows. The large fish in deeper water will be fine for a night or 2. Bought some more healthy bacteria today, to react a for a few days while the water is still warm before the brrrrr chill comes in!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9716978

I have the bacteria that comes from the Arctic Ocean and is good down to 32F. Basically until the water turns to ice. I suspect it just goes dormant then when the melt comes it becomes active again.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9716986

very interesting Mary.

Jan
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9717640

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and to all those that are traveling, please be safe.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 27, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9717739

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! Safe travels and happy moments! :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9719718

Hi All,
Been kind of busy. Replaced over 500 light bulbs on Christmas lights. Got them in place but Charlie still has 35 small extension cords to attach from figure to figure. Takes 4 heavy duty cords also plus transformer to make camel's legs walk. Think I'm getting too old to fuss with all this set but I love it once its up.
Put new bulb in UV didn't work nor did transformer. Son brought his electric tools over and checked that. Was $85. to replace so junked it. Got refund over phone as I guess I sounded mad. I'm done with buying from Acquatic Eco. Since they have been bought out a lot of things have changed and my other UV has been discontinued so probably no more bulbs will be available for that one. Ordered new Tetra today from Webb's as it has a much cheaper replacement bulb.
Printer broke down also so bought a new one today at Office Depot. Took me 2 days t figure out how to add old one now I have to figure out how uninstall it and add new one. Pretty much have new house phones figured out. All this techy stuff is enough to drive you crazy but I will persist and maybe in 2 years I'll have it figured out. First thing I had to master was my e-mail. Can't do without that.
Hope you all had wonderful Thanksgiving and plenty of family and food. Good movie coming on tonight so got to run. Christmas In Conway. Got a feeling it will be a tear jerker but that's ok as long as its clean.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9721601

Not sure why but old pond is still crystal clear without UV clarifier. Should be here from Webb's soon. I think Carolyn recommended them.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9721830

My pond gets crystal clear this time of year but I think that is because the surface 'stuff' dies off in the cold and sinks to the bottom. Also no reflection from algae - same reason.

Mary, you will have to start a Ponds 2014 pretty soon. lol
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9721927

I like both Webbs and Dr. Fosters.

Can you believe - 2014?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9721945

2014 is just around the corner! Hard to believe (it reminds me I'm still so far behind!) My new year's resolution will be to not stress about it anymore though! :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
2:18 PM

Post #9722049

I use both Webbs and Dr. Frosters as well as Pet Solutions. Dr. Foster won't ship USPS so I only buy from them if I really need it.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9722059

Foster and Smith uses Fedex. I am surprised that Fedex won't accommodate in your area, Mary. Or is it because of the $?

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9722117

Dollars. FedEx is terribly expensive when measured against USPS. So is UPS. And a few days later in delivery doesn't generally matter to me. They say say they have contracts with one or the other that prohibits them from shipping any other way. I can understand this. I am sure they get a good rate from FedEx or UPS for exclusive shipping rights. That is great for them but not for me.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9722149

That stinks. Truthfully, I am not terribly thrilled with UPS. Seems like everything gets damaged with UPS.

Isn't fedex the company that ships the live koi?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9722190

I've had koi shipped from all 3...but I would imagine Alaska or Hawaii have different considerations. I honestly get most of my pond things from ebay, because they take paypal and guarantee the item. They'll take the money out of the sellers account themselves if the item doesnt work or isn't what it was said to be. I like having someone larger than me refunding my money.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9722232

Yes, the one or two times I have ordered koi they would be shipped FedEx. It is the old thing about Alaska not being part of the United States -- the word contiguous comes into play. Where ever it says "free shipping with orders of blah blah" always qualifies it 'applies to contiguous states.' No wonder so many people up here want to cede. We send more money to the lower 48 (think big government) than we get in any sort of subsidies or revenue sharing. Anyway... no big thing. Years ago, before internet shopping, up in Fairbanks we had maybe one or two clothing stores, one book store, etc all privately owned. Small local shop owners, no MacDonalds, No Taco Bell, no fast food at all. So I cannot gripe (too much) about a little thing like shipping. I just need to shop smarter.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2013
9:34 PM

Post #9722337

Mary

I don't know if this was ever true, but I use to hear (This is when I was a teen) that if I was to move to AK and live there for 10 years I would then have free health insurance. Was that ever true? I almost did at the time, but of course that was back when I was young and could handle the weather...LOL

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
9:42 PM

Post #9722340

No, it was never true unless you were an eskimo or an aleut. You get used to the weather. Ohio sounds like a pretty cold place. Difference is humidity. Alaska is dry, but you guys with the winds off the great lakes get humidity along with cold from Canada. Darn cold. Not sure if it equates to -55 as we had in Fairbanks, but sounds bitter cold.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2013
9:46 PM

Post #9722342

so it is dry cold, never experienced that and at this age I hope I never do... Well I'm glad I didn't move up there when I was a teen as once I got there I would most likely not have had the money to come back home and would have been stuck up there...LOL No seriously DH and I have talked the last 10 years about going there during August but since we both lost our jobs and I've not been able to find another one and he is now on disability, it doesn't look like we will ever make it there now, so I will continue to enjoy seeing on TV.

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9722530

Much more comfortable way to see it for sure. Even the winter scenes. I was taking Woody to daycare yesterday and the sun was just coming up (hadn't quite broken over the mountains) behind the Chugach Mountains; the sky was a soft pink with some wispy grey clouds that stretched from one side of the horizon to the other; And as the sun continued rising the colors became more vivid and almost danced as the sun hit them in different ways. The mountains hare about 1/3 snow capped now (will be fully white soon). As I have said before, it is like living in a living Birdsall (local artist.)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9722694

sounds so beautiful Mary.

I didn't know they had puppy daycare. What do they do in puppy daycare?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9722772

He is matched up with other small dogs in a large room with leather sofas and chairs, beds etc. The room is probably 60' by 40' so lots of room for dogs and dog toys. There are always one or two people in the room to encourage the dogs to play or simply to have them in their lap giving them pets and scratches. I get a 'report card' almost every time that says whether he just laid around, played, etc. Also notes if he 'kept paws to self' was 'respectful of others' etc. He is a pretty mellow little guy so I am sure he loves the pets and scratches. It gives him a day away from me and a chance to romp and play. Gives me a day without his constant hovering and throwing guilt trips on me if I don't sit there with him right next to me all day. Talk about a serious bonding issue.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9722783

what a hoot. I should have thought of that back years ago when I had a poodle grooming business.
I'll bet he has a ball playing with all the others.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9722789

I have never observed him. I asked about it but they said the dogs know where the door is and if anyone looks in they just run to the door.

It is quite a lucrative business. I pay $410 for 20 days. That is why I only take him once a week. I can also get him groomed and his nails drimmeled
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9722796

Wow! Sounds like quite the place.

I would be afraid of the dogs fighting - does that ever happen?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9722828

If a dog is not socialized, either they won't take them or they stay in a fairly nice kennel by themselves. Some of the little ones can be pretty aggressively alpha, but that is why there is always someone with them to remind them to 'keep their paws to themselves.' If they don't, then either in the kennel or out the door.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2013
6:03 AM

Post #9723129

Mary
I've always wanted to open a doggie day care, gosh it sounds wonderful. I know what ya mean having one that sends the guilt looks of why aren't you just sitting here petting me none stop...LOL

Jan

This message was edited Dec 8, 2013 12:38 AM
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9723180

I get those looks from my one cat. They really know how to play that sympathy card, don't they?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 18, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9730115

Time to move forward! Here's the new page!

Merry Christmas everyone!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1344734/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America