Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Summer Veggie Gardens Pt 2 & Beginning Fall Gardening (Pt 1)

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 233, Views: 1,588
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9595688

The other thread was getting too long, so here's a new thread.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1318281/#top

Today's measly harvest of mostly green tomatoes from tomato plants that I pulled due to disease. There's also a few purple beans and some sun scalded maters, too.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Click the image for an enlarged view.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9595745

I have to pick beans again. I wanted to take a break from Fortex because last summer they didn't do well for me and a lot of them were soft and hollow, but I'm not as fond of the ones I'm growing now, so I'll probably go back to Fortex next year.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9595779

What are you growing this year?

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2013
3:56 AM

Post #9596011

It's a French variety called Aiguillon. They're bush beans and very prolific, but not as tasty as Fortex.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2013
5:00 AM

Post #9596064

Thanks for the new thread, Stephanie.

I'll start thinking about a fall garden around the end of August. LOL

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9596186

LOL Honeybee! I am only thinking about it because I started some peppers for the fall. Not sure what else it's time to start just yet.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9596208

I'm thinking of planting a small herb 'garden' one that I can move indoor during winter. This will take some creativity... I'm thinking, thinking. :-)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9596237

Lily? Start with DEEP pots for herbs. There is a sweet basil names 'compact box basil' chuckl. Oreganos are grateful, but sweet marjoram may work better. Parsley is used in kitchens its first year, becomes bitter 2nd year, but the butterflies dont mind at all. Tea hyssop smells awesome. blue basil will root in water in a kitchen window from cuttings and transplant out in early sprinng. Chives- onion and garlic are a constant sow and use by 4" to 6" ht.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9596453

Lily - you are in the same zone 7b as me. The only herb that doesn't over winter for me is basil.

I can gather: Rosemary, Sage, Parsley, Thyme, Oregano all through the winter.

My French tarragon survived last winter. Its getting big enough that I should be able to harvest some of that this winter, too.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9596486

Alabama gettin rain slams, hope you are ok down there! Are you lookin for anything specific herb wise? Do you have room outside for a kitchen garden? Let us know...

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2013
2:56 PM

Post #9596718

Lily,

As Honeybee said, there's little in the way of common culinary herbs that won't overwinter outdoors here, and the opposite is usually true -- they tend to take over everything if you don't keep them in check. Herbs here get BIG. Those silly little tiny herb garden kits you see for sale? Forget 'em.

Stevia is borderline here; basils -- any of them -- are far too frost tender. My French Tarragon is huge -- granted we had a mild winter but it didn't seem bothered at all and came back with a vengeance this spring.

Lavender is one exception to the outdoors rule. It'll do okay for a while and then you'll get a year like this one and the excess water will kill them. If you really want to keep lavender and aren't willing to deal with occasional die-offs and needing to restart them, I'd put it in a pot with some extremely well draining soil.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9596769

Nicole? you sure it is french tarragon? french tarragon doesnt make seeds, Russian tarragon makes seeds. This far south fr tarr is delicate, and r tarra is what we usually have that survives...

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2013
4:02 PM

Post #9596789

It's definitely French Tarragon. It's not evergreen for me, but perennial.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9596802

lucky, lucky you!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9596898

I have two different kinds of lavender and both have overwintered well for years. I can't tell you which variety they are although I once knew, but they seem very healthy.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9596911

I have "vera" about all I have been able to grow of that .

Half dozen yellow currant tomatoes harvested today . Lemon cherry type turning ripe now also .Red tomatoes are beginning to lighten . next few days red will be showing ,

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9596921

Many thanks to those suggestion as far as what herbs to plant for our zone, special thank to both NicoleC and HoneybeeNC. I'm taking names and record that info. in my memory. lol I do have onion, parsley and dills over-wintered outdoor. Basil is quite tender and won't survive our winter that's true. But that's one of the herbs that I'd like to cultivate all through the winter months... Kittriana, thanks for your suggestion and the information about lavender is all so accurate, and the monsoon rain that hit us in Al. recently would do them right in. We're seeing flood in areas that seldom experienced with flood before. GG, you must have the same variety of Lavender that I saw in Tenn. one spring a few years back. They were luxuriance and beautifully healthy. I wish I know what they are.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2013
6:38 PM

Post #9596931

While I was running across the northern states recently, I saw a plant I would love to grow. Named Russian sage- aromatic silvery leaves and gorgeous blue flowers, and usable!

Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9596934

I'll bet you can grow it in Texas too. It does great here in Alabama. I don't have any, but a friend has promised me some of hers, it gets pretty darned big. Just not sure I have room for it.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2013
10:38 PM

Post #9597115

It has the aroma of rosemary, will probably take trimming really well.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2013
12:17 AM

Post #9597135

Stephanie,those tomatoes don't look too measly at least to me. Do have any idea what kind of disease your plants had? A couple of my PL have spots on the lower leaves but not bad. Did you leave any of your plants in for fall?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2013
5:13 AM

Post #9597248

kittriana - That Russian sage would look beautiful against my fence! Now I HAVE to find some! LOL

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9597250

Looks as though High Country Gardens has Russian sage:

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/index/page/product/product_id/2239/category_id/1029/product_name/Perovskia atriplicifolia 'Blue Spires'

Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9597257

Did you notice it says currently unavailable.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9597275

Seedfork - Yes, I did notice that it's not available. I've made a note in my computer to contact them in the spring.

I've started looking for plants like this that bloom for an extended period, are perennial, attract honeybees, and (if possible) are also edible.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9597338

I looks a lot like an artemesia, but it isn't. Nice looking plant there. I'll have to keep it in mind of something dies and I have a big spot. :)

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9597461

Lisa, it was turning yellow, so it may have been blight. Not sure. None of the other plants have it. Nothing in for fall VEGGIES yet, just my pepper and jalapeno seedlings in my middle bedroom under the lights. I did take some cuttings of some of my tomatoes that I need to get potted up. That's on my agenda for today. I can do that inside and stay cool. :) (There is a method to my madness...LOL)

I think I'm going to soak some okra seeds and plant those tomorrow. It's almost time to plant potatoes, too.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9597481

Cabbage and some carrot seeds went in today.

Coming out, a few dozen mature corn cobs now set up for drying and turning into corn meal (and much more in the garden not yet ready). My first 'mater yesterday (Cherokee Purple) and my first bell pepper (Jackpot) today.

And almost 30 pounds of banana peppers, sweet basil, cucumbers and zucchini went to the community garden.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9597555

Great job, Nicole! I'm sure the community garden folks appreciated your contribution.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2013
3:35 AM

Post #9598193

Nice discussion here. I love the Russian Sage. I have the variety 'Filigran'. Might harvest some seeds this year, if anyone is interested. I started mine from a small plant in 2010 but I understand it is easy to grow from seed.

Good work with the donation. I grow only one hot banana pepper and one 'Giant Marconi' since I'm the only one here who eats peppers. I do grow a few tomatoes, leeks, onions, chard, cabbage, radishes, beets, herbs of various kinds. Will plant garlic this fall.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9598580

I picked some for a stir fry.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9598588

Looks good, Rita. You have quite a nice variety there.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9598594

I love stir fry veggies. Never tried eggplant stir fried but am planning to have my little harvest for dinner tonight. Peppers. eggplants (two different varieties), zucchini and green beans. Will add some cut up fresh onion but that is from the store.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9598621

I do too. I'd rather have that than meat. Your dinner sounds yummy.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9598627

I eat meat. But I don't need it most of the time. At least not in the summer when the garden is doing so well.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9598630

I eat it as well but like the looks of those fresh veggies even better. :

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9598636

Great looking veggies, Rita! I love my veggies stir fried more than almost any other way. I can't stand mushy veggies, but love them crisp-tender like in stir fry.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9598892

I cut up the veggies and then was thinking. This is the first time I have had eggplant from my garden. So instead of stir fry I added marinara sauce to the pan until I had enough to coat everything. Then I covered and simmered at a low heat until tender. Just tasted a piece of eggplant. Oh yummy!

Time for dinner! :biggrin: :thumbsup:

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9599001

I might get booted off of here for this ,, , my favorite .. green beans steamed in butter !!! yum ,,yum !!!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2013

Post #9599043

yup, steamed in butter, with almond flakes and just a touch of almond flavoring. Or steamed crunchy in butter same as asparagus, though with onions and red potatoes. sigh

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2013
7:09 PM

Post #9599073

First frost is scheduled for early/mid October here in southeast Nebraska.
Have already planted fall cucumbers (even though main season haven't started bearing yet, thanks to the hordes of rabbits in the area), and fall bush green and wax beans.
Currently harvesting green and wax beans, onions, cabbage, kohlrabi, chard. Tomatoes, the aforementioned cucumbers, and peppers are almost to the harvest point. Winter squash (butternut and spaghetti) are growing well and setting fruit. Harvested first cloves of garlic, the rest are about a week away.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9599630

My goodness! I lose the original thread for 2 days, and look at all I missed, LOLOLOL!

Fall Veggie Gardening 2013

What started out as, "I really need to clean up my seedling room," and, "I can do better than what's covering that window," has ended up with a TOTAL breakdown of the room, new window coverings, a total makeover of the light shelves (the girlfriend who looked at the curtains also looked at the cement blocks and shelves)...

Off the heels of the latest HGTV room makeover, I was going to purchase carpet squares to cover the laminate floor (better than the plastic covered plyboards that were protecting it...) and went to a carpet store (falsely) advertising carpet squares on sale, and in stock...well, as GOD would have it, I ended up with a remnant piece of carpet for $12 vs. $50 on the squares. And, it's the perfect color, AND, while I was there I spied an old bookcase sporting some cobwebs, enquired, and now have a bookcase for my gardening room for $15.

So, now that the freshly painted cement blocks and light shelves are all dry, I can start hauling them back into the grow room. And, putting all the garden related mat'ls I've collected into nicely matched binders for the bookcase (which will also be repainted).

And all this has to happen this weekend, cause NEXT weekend, seed sowing begins for the fall garden!

►Broccoli, cauliflowers, & onion seeds will be sown indoors for planting the last weekend in September
►Direct sowing carrots, beets & turnips the 1st of September
►Mustards, collards & kale will be sown the middle of September
►Lettuce & spinach direct sown end of October & mid-November
►And, definitely going to plant a bed of garlic this November, for the first time! Seems I'm reaching for garlic almost every day, now!

I also have one New Big Dwarf tomato plant that's still very healthy, which should be putting out a brand new crop of tomatoes for a fall harvest.

Still trying to decide if I wanna do all the onions from seeds again, or go ahead and order the Dixondale transplants. Theirs did better than mine, but, it could've been a feeding issue, and I might try again since I'm using a whole new fertilizer system that is working amazingly well. My current eggplants are full of blooms, and the Swiss Chard has gorgeous leaves.

Ok. I'm all caught up, LOL!

Godspeed, and Good Harvest!

Linda ^:-)^

This message was edited Jul 15, 2013 10:10 AM

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9599633

Ah Lincoln! warmer than York usually is anyway! Have noticed a bunny explosion- I think people forget when all they kill is coyotes they get overrun with rabbits. Gardens doin good guys.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9599671

Enjoy your new room, Linda. I have a spot in my basement that's my "mad scientist" zone that I want to revamp into a better area for brewing, fermenting, dehydrating, hanging to dry and so forth, but that project has no wait until I hire a cabinet maker for the utility room... and *that* project apparently has to wait until I determine is my fridge is dying or not. (Okay, it is dying, I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth putting on life support for a while.)

I can't wait to eventually get my space going, though!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9599694

Hi Nicole,
Quoting: ...until I determine is my fridge is dying or not ...
A similar problem we have had here in our house hold. I wanted a new fridge, so didn't wait for repair, and went and bought a new upgrade/modern one. Only to find out that the old fridge had a blown fuse, and was easily corrected. Now, we wound up with two. One is kept down in the basement for back up storage. Co-incidentally, it's good to chill Fall bulbs ect. *grin~

Linda, your garden is gonna be enough to feed a whole neighborhood. Wow! I'm learning a lot from your posts, as well as others here in this forum. Thanks all.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9599827

Lily_love,
Wouldn't that be neat? A backyard garden to supply fresh produce to the kitchens that cook the meals for those in need?

It simply behooves me that there are not more gardens planted on vacant city lots. We have more wasted space in this country, and opportunities to eradicate hunger than any nation on earth.

And, don't get me started on the companies that just throw out perfectly good food because of the regs that prevent it from being re-directed where it could be used...

I think hunger in this nation is an orchestrated sub-plot...

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9600019

Lily_love wrote:Hi Nicole, A similar problem we have had here in our house hold. I wanted a new fridge, so didn't wait for repair, and went and bought a new upgrade/modern one. Only to find out that the old fridge had a blown fuse, and was easily corrected.

It's only 13 years old but the compressor was replaced to the tune of $700 in 2009. Now the temperature is fluctuating too much. Last week I had bad lunch-meat AND frozen radishes! I took off the back and cleaned, thoroughly cleaned the coils and fans and lubed up moving parts this weekend... now I'm waiting to see if it helped. I know I need new door gaskets ($200), but if the inner seals or the thermostat is shot Ishould probably just get a new one. Holy moly, they're expensive!

Quoting:It simply behooves me that there are not more gardens planted on vacant city lots. We have more wasted space in this country, and opportunities to eradicate hunger than any nation on earth.

Linda, don't just fret, be a force for change! Find people in your community already working to fight hunger or increase available garden space and help them out.

Sadly, the only way you are likely to make an abandoned lot to community garden happen is on city or state-owned land. With the whole liability insurance thing, most private landowners won't bite. And if it isn't guaranteed the land will be available for a while, gardeners won't come and invest their time. You'll need an established group that will commit to doing the volunteer work to keep it ticking over, because gardener's tend to drop out and the city will want assurances it won't be an eyesore.

It CAN happen, though. Cities are becoming more interested in these kinds of cheap projects that improve community health and contribute to quality of life. In recent years here, we've managed to get public orchard space and raised beds at the "projects." More community gardens have opened up of all kinds, from charity and church gardens, to rent a plot style, to even a local artist center that's full of all kinds of art projects designed around growing veggies. Even the local Maker's 256 group started a garden... I haven't seen it but no doubt it's full of gadgets.

Your enthusiasm is contagious, Linda, go share it!
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9600886

Gymgirl wrote:
Still trying to decide if I wanna do all the onions from seeds again, or go ahead and order the Dixondale transplants. Theirs did better than mine, but, it could've been a feeding issue, and I might try again since I'm using a whole new fertilizer system that is working amazingly well.

Last year was my first time growing onions & I purchased Dixondale transplants. They grew great. I was thinking about trying some from seeds this year, and if they're not looking too good by January, I can still get some from Dixondale.

So what is your new fertilizer system?

Jo-Ann

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9600899

Gymgirl -
Quoting:I'm using a whole new fertilizer system that is working amazingly well.

Don't leave us hanging! What's the new system?
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9600917

jomoncon
Yes try seeds for onions, my seed crop this year did just as well if not better than my onions started from plants. Not saying either one was a huge success, but this was my first year for either. I was surprised by the seed crop doing so well. I don't know why but I just get more satisfaction from growing things from seeds.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9600929

I'm with Seedfork on starting things from seeds. Some days, I don't care if I even grow plants. I just get great satisfaction from starting seeds.

Will post pics of the finished grow room soonest!

Seed,
Where did you get your onion seeds? I had a couple packs from Henry Fields. I think they may have passed their shelf life by the time I planted them (not Henry Fields' fault at all), so that may have contributed to my so-so crop.

I'll try again with fresh seeds, and a better fertilizing regimen.

Give me a link or a website. Thanks!

Linda
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9600936

I purchased my seed from...eh, Lowe's.
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9600944

I noticed my bell peppers are starting to produce again, and the eggplant and Banana peppers are still producing tons. The tomatoes are 90 per cent water balloons with all this rain. Finally, only a 30 % chance today, we need some sun! But I am mowing grass later, so could the clouds hang around just a while, if that is not asking too much?

Thumbnail by Seedfork   Thumbnail by Seedfork   Thumbnail by Seedfork   Thumbnail by Seedfork   Thumbnail by Seedfork

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013

Post #9601044

Seedfork,
Those bells are nice! What variety?

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2013
10:24 AM

Post #9601137

Green and yellow both zucchini today. Humm, what should I make for dinner? I have some cherry tomatoes too and some cucumbers.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita         

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9601421

Leftover tomatoes today , first time enough to pic , these little things go fast ..beans are doing nicely , still waiting for cucumbers

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9601424

GG, just the old California Wonder and Crispy Treat.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9602483

Tonights dinner. Purple Rain eggplant and Cavilli (light) and Elite (dark) zucchini.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9602686

Pretty!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9602700

I was going ask an oldie but goodie ; Are we all invited ?
Looks good to me !!!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9602712

Sure come on over! :=)) Actually I haven't cooked it yet, I had better get going.

My neighbor, who is just a fabulous cook, came by giving me some bean salad that she has made. So I cut her two zucchini and one eggplant. She said she had grilled the last zucchini that I gave her and that it was so good.

The zucchini is producing well but I still can't keep up with all the demand from my neighbors and friends.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9605099

Veggies all picked yesterday. I had a lot. Cucumbers. Various Squash, Eggplants and tomatoes.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9605107

This is still that part of the season that gives you the hungry appetite , nice looking vegies in the previous .

These of mine posted before , only this mornings though . Little red sugars already got ate .

Thumbnail by juhur7

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9605129

I always eat the cherry and grape tomatoes as I go along and pick. I am sure the harvest would be bigger if it wasn't for all the ones end up in my tummy!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9605152

The same ,, Best habit I ever had (and still do):-)

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2013

Post #9606345

I had a sunflower that was wilting, but I couldn't find anything wrong with it -- the largest one, too. (Of a dwarf variety.) Today the 2" diameter stalk up and broke halfway up. It's filled with excrement and damage. Apparently there are a whole horde of potential pests, but my money is on the Dectes texanus since it also infests soybeans, and we have a ton of those here.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9606446

Everything likes sunflowers- so guess ya have to keep a close eye on em

Thumbnail by kittriana

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9606506

Well, they are mostly there for the goldfinches and to see if they work as a trap crop for squash bugs. No seeds yet for the finches (although they loved them last year), but they are covered with squash bugs and my squash are fairly clean. This might be a trap crop which truly works.

Plus, they are nice to look at and the bumbles bees love them.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2013
4:18 AM

Post #9606797

Never thought of using them as a trap crop. I have a couple in my garden just because I like the way they look. I'm also growing pink petunias to deter squash bugs and I'll see if that helps...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9607110

THIS as you all move to fall .. still summer here , Even if our summer temps are your fall temps ..
Beans
White cucumber
yellow currant Tomatoes
Marglobe
Belle Starr Last Storm knocked the last one over

Thistle and Nettle to deter some boring type bugs , then they bore on the flowers , yeah well , you never can have everything can you ..lol

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2013

Post #9607177

Fairy Tale Eggplant, Gretal Eggplant, Classic Eggplant, tomatoes.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9607183

Harvests from Friday, Saturday and today. That yellow squash is one called Golden Egg which seeds I bought from Burpee. I just love it!

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita      

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9607556

Beautiful, Rita!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9607569

Way to grow Rita!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9607615

The hot weather is really bringing on the zucchini, squash and eggplants.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9608063

I will be glad when the techs have fixed all the "problems" it's hard to follow along when words on the right edge are cut off!

This morning:

I picked a small basket of volunteer tomatoes.

A single melon volunteer is producing flowers, and I saw a few female blossoms.

Volunteer sweet peppers. One looks large enough to pick green. Another is turning red.

Volunteer basil is beginning to flower. This should keep the bees happy.

Weeds, weeds everywhere! I'm going to be real busy getting rid of them once the weather cools down.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9608262

Which basils do you have volunteering Bee?

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9608307

I like to try new things and add to the garden when possible. This year lots of squash and I have decided I want to plant many different types of melons next year. I like to to see what works out. I have tried melons before with some success but this year planted in a big pot on the driveway. They love the heat there and are doing the best ever.

Waiting on beans to come in as I pulled my bush beans so now I am waiting on my yard longs and french fillet beans to produce. French fillets have started with the flowers but no beans set yet. Yard longs are already starting to produce but not big enough for picking. But those grow extra fast!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9609332

kittriana - The volunteer basil is Genovese.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9609424

The only kind of basil I grow is volunteer! LOL Plant it once and you'll never need to plant it again.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9609428

Genovese isnt one I have. Though I fell in love with blue spice this year! Blue is the only one my dau takes cuttings of and replants in the spring- Lime and red leaf we just thin when spring hits, chuckl. Cinnamon, we might buy or not if we dont see it volunteer. thanx for answer!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9609541

Hurray, tomatoes have finally started to come in. My very favorite summer veggie. I could eat tomato sandwiches forever!

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9609915

Those look great, Rita!! What variety are you growing?

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9609921

On long list. This year my tomato varities are-
Beefmaster
Early Girl
Big Boy
Better Boy
Big Beef
Jet Star
Rutgers
Supersonic
Juliet
Sweet Million

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2013
5:31 PM

Post #9609922

Yes those above do look great ! .. and there are lots of em too!!! yummy ..
Here's my odds and ends from today ..

Thumbnail by juhur7

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9609957

Jet Stars make a VERY tasty fried green tomato, not as tasty when they do get around to ripening tho- says my DH in Tn, I only got one of em so nothing to say abt em...

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2013
7:48 PM

Post #9610086

Many varieties were new to me this year.
Jet Star
Big Beef
Rutgers
Supersonic

All new so we will see how much I like them.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9610499

I like Rutgers. We've grown those previously.

Today, we harvested a big ol mess of beans! Guess we'll be having beans for dinner.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2013

Post #9610514

Wow, those look great. I have already pulled my bush beans and am waiting on production on my pole French fillet beans. I have two types, one a burgundy colored bean and the other yellow. First year to try the French Fillet types.

They stated flowering but no beans set as yet. I made that mini garden bed there with the two bean towers to grow them on. Really those were sold as tomato cages but when I saw them I thought they would be great for my pole beans.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9610579

I see several baby bean pods in the 3rd photo!! They'll be along soon!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2013
10:49 AM

Post #9610622

Yes, I think it is time for the bean pods to start. I am really looking forward to these as I have read so much about the fantastic flavor and tenderness of those French Fillet type beans. Then I had to search for what I wanted as most seem to be bush types and I wanted pole type. Plus green was my last choice. So I finially found these. Burgandy and then the yellow on the other tower. I am thinking they will look good as well as taste good!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9610626

This is the first year I have gone for a second season cucumber crop. Started seeds just recently and today just now I planted them out. I have Orient Express and Suyo Long. So the idea is too have cukes later into the season than when I have to pull out my spring planted ones. We will see how this goes.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9610647

Rita, you're doing so well with many vegetables whether they're in ground or in containers. I gathered your growing season in zone 6b is a tad shorter than us Southerners down here. May I ask if you've started your seeds indoor and transplant your seedlings out later?

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9610654

Anything I start late now that it is warm I start outside. Not direct sow usually. I like to start my veggies in re-used veggie six or four packs which I fill with new potting mix. So I have been starting squash and now those cukes I just planted all outside to transplant once I have seedlings.

Small things like beets and turnips are direct sow. Oh, I did start those beans pictured direct sow and my yard Longs direct sow but I started all those beans late and I knew the seeds would pop up quickly with the nice weather.

Earlier in the spring when the weather is not so warm so seeds would not pop up fast I start them inside. I use the same method of the veggie six packs with new potting mix. Then as soon as they break ground I bring them out in the sunshine during the day and bring in at night for a few days. That way they grow well.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9610914

Picked two classic Eggplants and made grilled eggplant slices topped with tomato on the grill. Just ate them all up now!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9610942

Awww, that looks mouth-watering! And I already have eaten dinner. lol. Great going Rita.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9611561

It was very tasty. Healthy too.

Picked these cherry and grape tomatoes. Almost four quarts. And I picked all these cucumbers also.

plus the yard long beans have started.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9611625

Seeing Calif fields gathering grapes, nectarines and peaches and we are bringing them out to eastern areas. The peaches look really good. Cherries are about all gone now from Washington state, you guys enjoy your veggies, One of these days I'll be able to get growing too!

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9612005

Around August 1, I will plant:

lettuce Romaine and butter crunch
cilantro
broccoli (plants)
cabbage (plants)
carrots
spinach
leeks (plants)
swiss chard
sugar snap peas

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9612041

Drobarr,
What will your temps be around August 1st?

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9612061

Average highs for August are 81-85F and lows 61-66F. Though last night we got down to 57 and the last two days highs were only in the upper 70's. My air conditioner didnt even come on today.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/17036?climoMonth=8

Average frost date is around October 15th.

I remember living in SE Texas...leaving the house in the morning with temps already in the 80's...feeling like a sauna and sweating ugh! But the fall, winter, and spring were quite mild.

We get snow up here but its kind nice to put the mower away for 4-5 months. When spring comes one cant wait to get back into the garden. I harvest carrots, leeks, and brocoli well into early December.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9612270

Bro Dro!
Our highs for August are 95-100F and lows 75-85F.

Our average first frost date is anywhere from November 7th - December 7th.

And, yeah, in Houston, Texas we WEAR our humidity! And our fall, winter, and spring are quite mild.

You harvest carrots, leeks, and broccoli well into early December, and I can harvest up until mid-March or so, depending on when the spring heat sets in. I love to grow in the fall/wtr/early spring season!

Last season I started all my seedlings the weekend of August 6-7th, and suffered through hotter-than-usual weather up until mid-November. It was a total pill, keeping my cole crop transplants comfortable, and the aphids at bay. Cold weather down here truly helps with bug control!!

This season I'm gonna start the seeds a bit later, although I do like to have sizeable broccoli, cauliflower, & cabbage transplants by the time the cool weather hits. I start all my seeds indoors. Works better for me against my teeming pillbug population. A very small seedling here doesn't have a chance against them, although I've learned to use the tulle (think bridal veil) fabric as a very cheap and reusable alternative to floating row cover.

We throw the dice down here on when it'll get cold...HEAT is never a crap shoot, LOL!!!

Houston has an average of 285 available growing days, and I'm trying my best to have something growing every one of those days!

BTW, you have any tips on growing onions from seeds? I've grown one successful crop of full size 1015s, purples, and whites from Dixondale Farms transplants. Last August, I started some from seeds for the first time. I sowed Henry Fields onion seeds in August in seed trays to have sizeable transplants by November. Seems it took forever for those wispy onions to start beefing up. But, soon as our weather started chilling, they took off.

Unfortunately, they didn't grow as large as I had hoped. I think I had kept the seeds too long. Also, I didn't fertilize as diligently as I should have.

Thinking of trying again from my own seeds, although it's an long investment of time and resources to get those transplants by mid-November...Only costs $11 for a mixed set of short-season transplants from Dixondale, LOL!!!

Thanks, again for all your input to this website!

Linda
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9612331

Linda, did you find that your onions from seed were hotter than from transplants? I had really sweet Walla Wallas last year from plants, and last fall I sowed seeds, transplanted them this spring, and they are real hot little dudes! Great for cooking but not fresh eating. I think hotness is somewhat dependent on your soil, but other than that I'm at a loss.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9612376

Some of the veggie harvest that I picked yesterday. Lots of eggplant and tomatoes.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9612454

Go Rita!! Beautiful!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9612473

Looks pretty and tastes great!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9612481

newyorkrita wrote:Looks pretty and tastes great!

Not to mention, it's sooooo healthy for you as well. :-)

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9612489

I eat a LOT of veggies in the summer. Lunch is almost always squash or eggplant. Or a summer salad or both. Tomato sandwiches are popular with me at anytime.

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2013

Post #9612748

Gymgirl Linda,

Were you growing short day or long day onions? I would assume the short day onions would be better for your region. Sometimes daylength is a predcitor of bulb size.

I have grown onions from seeds many times but always have done so in the early spring. However, I'm with you lately I just get a bunch of already started plants because they do take a while. I have also used sets but variety selection is limited.

For long day onions like Walla Walla they say that planting them in the fall will give you the colassal sizes but I havent tried that. Not sure if my winters here would be too harsh for them to survive.

JoParrot,
I used to live in Pasco just off of Rd 68...in between there and the airport. I have grown Walla Walla onions both from seed and with transplants both in WA and here in PA and I have never had a hot Walla Walla. I do know that very hot temperatures and very dry condutuions can increase hotness in peppers, some onions and radishes. Could the seed be incorrect?

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9612770

Attatched are my intermediate day (12-14 hrs) sweet onions called "Candy Hybrid". Harvesting 1 or 2 every day for the last few weeks. I planted them (plants) on April 26th. I ordered them from Miller Nurseries in NY http://www.millernurseries.com/. They are baseball to softball size.

I am also growing "Red Zeppelin" but they are not ready yet and somewhat smaller at this point.

Traditionally I have had real good luck with Walla Walla plants I buy at the box stores planting them in mid to late March. They are very hardy and planting them early give me good size. The only problem with Walla Walla's are they they dont store very well and somewhat sceceptible to Botrytis neck rot.

This year I tried a special onion fertilizer and they responded very well.
http://www.jungseed.com/dp.asp?pID=51026

Thumbnail by drobarr   Thumbnail by drobarr         

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9612812

Sprayed all my squash again with the Neem. Really want to get back on top of this powdery mildew stuff. Already today the squash look so much better than they did on Monday when I last sprayed them. So today being Friday that means 4 days in between sprayings. Now I should be able to go back to weekly spraying. Actually I would like to keep to a spray in just under a week. That should work well.

I had to wait until late in the day, I just came in from spraying. Not that it is hot. I could have sprayed in the middle of the day as temps are really mild. But the bees were out all over the squash all day. Lots and lots of honeybees. I don't honestly know what they were doing but they were at it ALL day. Not in the flowers, they were landing under the leaves and then looking like they were eating or vacuuming along under the leaves. And only on the leaves that had powdery mildew. How really strange. I guess eventually they had enough and went home or it just got late.

I was using my battery powered wand sprayer again. Found a spray setting that works really well and the spraying didn't take as long to do this time as it did the first time I used the sprayer.

The really great part of the Neem is that it also kills any insect pest eggs that are on the plants.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9612835

Everything is looking great for you guys! Down here things are just looking fried.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9612879

We have had lots of rain. In fact it rained yesterday and some overnight.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9613298

Two NOID tomato plants pulled through out of the 24 or so I planted. It's been a tough year on the maters.

My caterpillar issues have *knock wood* abated somewhat, but I keep finding all sorts of other interesting critters in the squash vines.

We also have the biggest wasps I've ever seen. They seem to head for these bananas and then take a break in the squash. But, lots of bees visiting, too. I saw my first bumblebee in ages! She was having a grand old time falling all drunkenly around in the bananas. Made me smile.

Thumbnail by Nola_Nigella

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2013
8:17 AM

Post #9613309

Whoa! Those drunken bees do make me smile as well. But your banana fruits and flowers made me grin from ear to ear also. On the issues of caterpillars not being an issue, here too, I've noticed alot more predatory critters in the garden such as crab spiders, hover fly and wasps.

Rain? We're having too much rain, maters drown in this type of weather. By far we've 15" above average rain fall. Ugh!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9613347

It was a beautiful overcast, cool, breezy morning today. My husband and I went for a walk, then came home and worked in the garden. Here's our harvest for today. Several tomatoes (Homestead 24, Pantano Romanesco, and Rutgers), one token Hill Country Red okra pod, and 3 Royal Burgundy beans. We harvested a whole slew (3 lbs) of Royal Burgundy beans a few days ago, too.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2013
9:45 AM

Post #9613357

Rita -regarding your honeybees.

Honeybees also gather water to cool their home (hive).

They also make something called propolis which is a "bee glue". You don't have to know why they collect stuff to make glue. It's just something they do, and is a necessary part of their existence.

You said you sprayed with Neem. Did you spray the under sides of the leaves, too? If so, I suspect they were collecting the oil to make it into propolis. They will collect any kind of sticky-stuff to make bee-glue, including some stuff you don't even want to know about!

As you probably already know, I used to be an apiarist in my younger days!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9613364

The summer challenges have begun. First, I lost my second crop of corn to corn worm -- a huge infestation. (Never saw any on the first batch.) Then, my parsley just up and died dead as a doornail for no reason. Next, I started losing sunflowers to borers. Then the pickleworm moved in and oh boy, what a massive infestation I have this year. They are in everything: melons, tomatos, cukes, zukes... I haven't looked at my summer squash yet. I'm losing about half the crop each day. As the sunflowers have died off, the squash bugs have moved to the squash and tomatoes and are doing damage there.

Oh yeah, and one of my apple trees had to be staked up because it could no longer hold itself upright for some reason. I get to dig both of them up this winter and replant it with a permanent support system this time. My rootstock is probably M7A which means they probably won't be able to support themselves and are deigned for trellising, but it's too late to trellis them. Those are big digging jobs for 7' tall trees!

On the other hand, the garlic crop was excellent and I've have a good run of cukes this year (60ish pounds), but they are about played out. I pulled two of the zuke plants out this AM but the 3rd is still blooming so I left it even though it looks really ragged

Tomatoes are starting to come in in earnest. I harvested over 25 pounds today -- most of it from the variety I am breeding from the 2012 seed, so those plants are performing well. None of the toms from my strain have shown any blight this year, but the Brandywine and Cherokee Purple has (only a little though.)

I need to get some more fall crops in the ground this afternoon. Every year about this time I think fondly of how easy fall and winter crops are!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9613371

Nicole - so sorry to learn about your "bug" problems.

I had a bad, buggy summer last year, so have left the garden to it's own resources this summer in the hopes they'll all starve!

Earlier, I was watching a cardinal pecking away at something out there - bet he was enjoying a few bugs.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2013

Post #9613408

Yes, I always spay under the leaves with the Neem but I spray the tops also. I just never saw bees doing what they were doing yesterday.

Stephanie, great looking tomatoes!

Planted snap peas today for a fall crop. Not as many as I do in spring but enough for now.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2013
11:49 AM

Post #9613450

There's bug problems every year!

The pickleworm is a tough one, though. There's nothing really available for home use except Sevin, and with the reduced populations of bees this year I'm not going to do anything that might hurt them. So, I just keep throwing stuff out; not much else to do.

I've asked other gardeners around, and it seems to just be me with the problem this year. At least they don't overwinter here, so I don't have to worry about building a heavy population for next year. Unless the moths have some sort of geographic memory. :)

The cabbage and carrots are all in now, and some peas although I want to find room for more. There's always a space crunch about now in the year, and even expanding my garden hasn't helped, since I also seem to have expanded my ambitions.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9613462

My ambitions keep growing also and my veggie garden keeps expanding.
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9613533

Birds are saving me from the bugs, DH saw a small greenish bird flying out of veggie patch with a bug in its mouth, makes me happy. Also the red tail hawks are back and chipmunk damage is down.
I've got a few tomato plants started from seed in late June that I may put where green beans were. The mature tomatoes are pumping out fruit but vines dying, probably from all the crazy rain. So I'm going to try a second tomato crop, considering we usually have warm weather thru Sept. nothing is usual about this year but garden is very productive if I can grab an hour between rainstorms to tend it. With all the stress in my life I seem to be enjoying the garden more than ever.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9613865

O MY. Am home and think I am growing veggies as a cover crop for weeds. Golden Eggplant fruits. Pretty, probably pretty worthless, but will be out tomoro morn for pix...I feel like I am missing the gardening middles...

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9614313

Here is a picture of my side yard showing three of my tomato beds. And one from the pot getto looking back.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9614317

Honestly I swear these zucchini were not there yesterday! Well, I guess they were but very small. Yesterday I figgured I would not have Zucchini for at least three days then this morning, pow. There they are.

Second picture. First yard long beans to harvest of the season. Honestly these are SOOOOO good, Sweet and tender. But don't left them get big, pick at this size. I ate these raw, they were so good. That is why I like yard longs so much stir fried. They don't need much cooking.

Third picture. OKRA!!! First pod off my okra plants. I had never eaten okra in my life. I read that some people munch on young okra pods raw so I ate this raw. I really don't know what to expect but it tasted wonderful! It did have a flavor unlike any other veggie I have ever eaten but I really loved it.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9614330

Rita, I'm glad you like okra. I can't stand it, but I have a low tolerance for mucilaginous foods. (Can't stand Malabar spinach either.) I do like okra pickled, and although I'm not a huge fan of pickles usually, to me the okra really improved in the process and made a fantastic pickle. If you end up with more than you can eat, you may want to try making a batch.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2013
10:44 AM

Post #9614341

I love pickles. But I only planted three okra plants becasue I have never tried them before. So it was an experiment. I very much doubt I will have too much okra to eat fresh.

Does anyone grill okra the way one could grill zucchini or eggplant?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9614375

Any way you can imagine is good for okra- breaded, fried, added to soups, raw, grilled, boiled. Favorite summertime dish, a skillet of zucchini, yellow summer squash, okra, tomatoes (and everything else you might have a hankering to add-onion, garlic, peppers) and sausage over rice/noodles. We call it sausage creole, chuckle. DON'T let okra get past that size because that is when they pick up a woodiness and slime. Taste like raw green bean to me when young. You do know you can trim the lower leaves of okra and not hurt the plant?

Where to start on the garden? It rained so weeding is goin to get easy if I can find the skeeter spray

Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9614389

Oh my, what are the golden striped eggplant? That looks wonderful.

Are you supposed to trim the bottom leaves on Okra plants? My okra plants are not very tall as I bought a variety of Baby Okra seeds from Burpee.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2013
11:51 AM

Post #9614397

I think the gold is an overripe condition, chuckle, havent cut it, but my tags say it is Calliope. The trimming is up to you- our okra plants get 12' hi and the leaves can get tremendous, even Clemson gets 6' tall before frosts... the okra develops like a tomato- higher on the stem each time, so lower leaves, or over abundance of lower leaves can be removed to kick the production up. I am abt to do the same thing with those eggplants, sigh

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9614433

My okra plants are small because I bought a variety that stays small.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9614674

I tasted those gold eggplants, seedy when small, skin is paper tough when a bit too large. I have never grown mini okra, but I can imagine since it is an okra ( I have grown vine okra too) same ability applies. Again it is a choice, not a necessity

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9614721

Kitt, you brought back memories of my grandmother! She used to grow vining okra on her chain link fence when I was a young girl. I remember "helping" her pick it.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9614785

Yup, where I grew mine - off the front of the house and the side of my pecan trees. was good to eat, huge leaves, got a LOT of comments along with the Jacobs Bean vine farther down the fence, (hyacinth vine, only NO ONE knew the name of it in the late 70's...chuckle.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9615470

I can't believe how many tomatoes I picked today. Just piles and piles and piles all next to the plants as I went around the tomato beds. Eventually I picked up the tomatoes in low sweater box type tubs and eventually transferred them to those plastic grocery bags. Had to double bag the grocery bags as they were heavy with lots of tomatoes.

You would think with all this that I had absolutely stripped the tomato plants but not the case. Give me a few days and I will be picking again!

I have another pile of tomatoes on the counter for me and I gave tomatoes away already today to friends. Guess what I am having for dinner? Tomato salad and tomato sandwiches!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9615510

Mine are not that many only a few when I want(and everybody here) . Could of produced a few more , only hey , is at is ..
A couple in the fridge , a Romanesco on the counter . it's all good ..

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9615548

A few years back I thought I would cut back on the tomato plants and grow only enough for myself. Well, That did not work out as neighbors and friends that were used to getting tomatoes kept asking and I had nothing to give. Nope, all the tomato plants were soon back and I now I have more than ever before.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9615562

I will have to believe it is because I have 13 plants in the main garden , is why they are producing slowly for the most part ..
I grew one of the plants for a neighbor , who has all shade and no place to grow one ..
I could of arranged it all better , as always , always something different to try this way though .. AS said though , it is doing better than last year and next year will be better still as I have a few more that grow well here , and produce pretty good ...
Seems things like sour currant that I didn't like much and everyone else here not at all . produce until I am inundated , swamped over and no room to put them anywhere .. I have possibilities with what everybody likes here as to that after this season ,,

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9616671

Well, I am tired. Been working most of the day on my project of turn that back yard Tall Bearded Iris Bed back into a veggie bed. I dug up all the healthy iris and relocated them and dug and tossed the rotters. More work than I first thought when I last night decided to to this today.

Once the iris and any weeds were out, I leveled up the soil and then mulched with a layer of straw. Then I did my measuring and layout of what I intend to have there next year. This year it is a catch all of whatever I have planted. Been calling it the root veggie bed. But I spaced out my layout and two more cucumber trellis will go there, posts set for measure (although I will change them from these short posts to taller ones). Then bamboo steaks put out to show the layout of pepper rows I intend to have there next spring. I will be having 6 rows of peppers because that is what fits.

I have been needing a better plan for my peppers and I have been wanting more space for cucumbers so this will work out really well. I am extra pleased with the way it all is now.

Root crops next spring can just be planted were I had been thinking to put the peppers before this new plan. So I still have room for the things I want to grow, only with a better layout.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9616756

Watch out Rita, you'll fill that space in no time!

My pea seedlings are up already. Wow!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9616783

My peas will be up soon. I only planted them a few days ago.

This year that space I worked on is just a veggie garden catch all bed. But next year it will be set up as I intended it.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9618540

Large tomatoes, cherry and grape tomatoes. zucchini, mixed harvest.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9618574

Very nice harvest, Rita!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2013
1:41 PM

Post #9618590

The garden is really putting out the veggies lately.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9618622

This is one of the wonderful things about this site. Our harvests have dwindled due to the heat and yours is just beginning, so we get to continue enjoying your success.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9618630

I am growing more than ever before this year. And really enjoying the veggie garden and enjoying eating things from my veggie garden.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9619534

A tub of tomatoes and then added some squash.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9619562

Rita,
I noticed that my "LOCATION" line in my preferences (under my Avatar) was crossing the line into the text box, so I shortened the line (took out "Hobby"), and now it's not running over...

I notice that your line also "runneth over..." LOL!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9619593

Yea, I noticed its running over also but I don't really much care. :-))

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9619612

Ok.

Bye...

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9619627

I'm sure the techs are aware of it and are planning to fix it. There are threads discussing problems with the new look.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9620308

Todays Harvest. Tomatoes, Golden Egg yellow summer squash, Fairy Tale Eggplant. Gretal Eggplant.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9620431

I made my own version of ratatouille from my veggies pictured above. I used my convection oven instead of doing it on the stovetop. First pic ready to go in the oven, secind pic done. It tastes wonderful!

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9621020

My gardens are producing so much that I haven't had time for DG, there have been some other interruptions too. It's never produced like this. Strange, because of a long cold spring my plants went in way late, so it seems like I'm still planting my summer garden when it's really the Fall garden. Lol I picked my my first tomato a month ago, which is much later then normal, but it hasn't stopped.

One thing that I have noticed is that even tho it gets in the 100s it cools down to the low 70s at night.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9621538

Yay Lisa! So happy you're having a good year!

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9621611

bounteous harvest this year...giving stuff away to the neigbors...tomatoes, peaches and nectarines

Thumbnail by drobarr   Thumbnail by drobarr         

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9621966

It's hot, hot, HOT here and the garden is frying. I pulled out my bush beans this morning to make way for the cucumbers and other fall crops. I found 2 of the hugest grasshoppers I've even seen on my biggest okra plant. My hubby quickly dispatched them to grasshopper heaven. They didn't do too much damage, but I didn't like to see them eating up my plant! I now have the soaker hose going on the area where the beans were to deep water in preparation of the cukes. I still have lots of green tomatoes on the vine, but it'll be a few days before any are ready. Just have to keep the birds off them.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9622089

MY GARDEN UPDATE:

►To date, I have only one 4x8' RB actively growing (RB #1).
It's filled with 12 eggplants that are just about loaded with fruits/blooms, 8 Swiss Chard plants that are fighting off the heat very nicely, one New Big Dwarf tomato plant that I'm nursing into fall, and a flat of dwarf marigolds that are so pretty! Everything in this bed is growing very well, and, it's easy to maintain in this heat...

►About to pull the bell peppers from RB #2. They are just not producing, and I'm wasting resources on them...next year...

►I have two more eggplants growing in an Earthbox, loaded with fruit. Having trouble keeping up with the watering, though, cause that box is drinking like there's no tomorrow...

►Finally, the ONE lone zucchini growing in another Earthbox is just gorgeous! I spied my very first zucchini, ever, last night! Won't be long, and have not seen evidence of any frass...

►I'm about to pull the seven dead tomato plants out of RB #3. Once I do, I'm purging my garage of every remaining supply of amendments & garden soil and dumping it all into the bed. I'm also dumping in all the bagged leaves that I've been collecting.

I had a weekend "To Do" list as long as my arm, and managed to get through edging and mowing the lawn...sheesh...it was sooooooooooooo hot out, I don't start lawn care until 7 pm. After I cut, I hand watered the lawn until 10:30 p.m. My neighbor across the street was watering his in the dark, too, LOL!

►Next up is sterilizing seed trays and pots for sowing seeds this weekend.

I've decided NOT to wait the additional two weeks to sow, hoping it'll be cool enough by plant out time. Instead, I'd like to stagger the seed sowing every three weeks and have a steady supply of seedlings to put out between mid-September and December 20th. Right after the Winter Solstice, I'll start the tomato seeds for planting out mid-February...

It's next year already...

Hugs!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9622148

Gymgirl, which varieties of Eggplants are you growing?

Today I planted turnips. Well, I planted 4 rows of Purple Tops. I have other varieties also but considering it is late and I am disorganized, I will just save those seeds for next year.

And I planted 2 rows of bush beans. French fillet green bush beans. I do very much like the french fillets I have on poles so decided to plant these. Besides I had the seeds. Watered everything nicely and I hope they grow fast.

This spring I had Tenderette Bush beans but I was not overly impressed. I have to find something better for next spring.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9622224

Rita,
I have Pot Blacks & Listada de Gandias growing in the RB. I have Hansels & Gretels growing in 5-gallon buckets, and Black Beauty growing in the Earthbox...

I want one more good harvest to make up some batches of Spicy Asian Eggplant for the freezer.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9622383

Thanks Gymgirl. Those eggplants all sound good to me! Next year I want to get Hansel as well as bring back Gretal which I am growing this year.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9622384

Tomato taste challenge!

4 tomatoes competed. All four varieties new to me this year.
Jet Star
Big Beef
Supersonic
Rutgers

None compared to my three favorites from last year which are Big Boy, Better Boy and Beefmaster. So those favorites from last year not about to be knocked off the top of the list.

Favorite of the four, Rutgers with a very nice taste. Worse Jet Star which I would rather not be eating. Supersonic came in second and Big Beef third. Right now I am questioning if any of these will be brought back next season. The jury is still out as there are a lot of tomatoes still to be eaten. I usually do my taste challenges and then a while later do it again to check taste. Just to be sure.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9622392

We like Rutgers as well. I had horrible germination with Rutgers this year and ended up with only 1 little plant, but it's produced well.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9622400

I know I like Rutgers , but is has been years since I have grown any that grew well , it use to where I use to live ,,
Broad Ripple currant ( a naturalized , better producing Burgess Lemon I am about sure it is )
Belle Starr Burst of tomatoes and the plant is toast .. real good for what it is
Romanesco (pantano) Few but delightful( still producing not final )
Juane Flamme is good but came in last according to all here .. One good little producer over a long season this is ..

forgot;Burgess Mammoth Wonder , sour after taste , acid Tomato these fellows are definitely your big greasy Hamburger Tomato ...lol

This message was edited Aug 5, 2013 7:05 PM

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9622493

My Pantano Romanesco was very prolific and I loved the flavor!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9622528

I have had three and casualty so far,, there is still a half dozen green and lots of blooms with about two months to go .. The plant is 8ft tall now and still growing

First three pics are the Romanesco going to and over the top of an 8ft fence , row housing kind of messes up the mood of the pic ..lol
The last two are juanne flamme still at and a while

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9623987

So,
Who's started their fall/winter seed list? I'm sowing Wave #1 this weekend.

Here's my proposed schedule and planting list:

2013-2014 COLE CROP TIMELINE
8/10/13 Sow; 9/14/13 Harden off; 9/21/13 Plant out 12/7/13 Buttons*?
9/14/13 Sow; 9/19/13 Harden off; 10/26/13 Plant out 01/11/14 Buttons*?
10/12/13 Sow; 11/16/13 Harden off; 11/23/13 Plant out 02/08/14 Buttons*?
11/09/13 Sow; 12/14/13 Harden off; 12/21/13 Plant out 03/08/14 Buttons*?

(*Expect Broccoli and Cauliflower buttons/heads ~ 120 days from sowing seeds)

2014 TOMATO TIMELINE
12/21/13 Sow Longest season Seeds; 2/8/14 Harden off; 2/15/14 Plant out
01/04/14 Sow Medium season Seeds; 2/22/14 Harden off/ 03/01/14 Plant out

2014 GROWING LIST (Tentative)
From The Sustainable Seeds Company
Early Jersey Wakefield Cabbage
Early Round Dutch Cabbage
Brunswick Cabbage
Early Wonder Beets
Detroit Dark Red Beets
Snowball Y Improved Cauliflower
Snow Crown Cauliflower
Texas 1015Y Onion Seeds
Red Creole Onion Seeds
Little Marvel Peas
Wando Peas

From Johnny's Select Seeds Company
Waltham Butternut Squash
Acorn Squash
Arcadia Broccoli
Green Magic Broccoli
Fava Beans
Space Spinach
Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach?
Da Cheong Chae-Mini Asian Pac Choi

Seven Top Turnips
Carrots (various varieties, in SmartPots)
Romaine Lettuce
Mustard & Collard greens (sowing seeds every 4 weeks)
Kale

Linda

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9624012

Seeds in the ground already:
Carrot "Danvers 126"
Carrot "Littlefinger"
Peas "Amish Snap"
Broccoli "Romanesco"
Broccoli "Early Green"
Cabbage "Brunswick"
Cabbage "Early Jersey Wakefield"
Beets "Bulls Blood"

Going in soon:
Beets "Cylindra"
Lettuce... dunno, I have a whole bunch of tiny seed packets from trades. I'll probably mix them up.
Spinach "America"

As soon as I have space:
Turnips "Hakeuri"
Radish "Saxa II"
Radish "Cherry Belle"

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9624026

NicoleC,
When's your average first frost date? Ours is anywhere from 11/7 to 12/7.

Are your nights cooling off already? We still have nights in the mid- to high-80s, and days this week will be triple digits...

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2013

Post #9624054

Wow to Nicole and Gymgirl both. You have such long lists of fall crops. I don't do much for fall, my favorite to do for a fall crop is peas and those are up.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9624056

Lots of tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2013

Post #9624057

Bean towers making beans!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9624151

Gymgirl wrote:NicoleC,
When's your average first frost date? Ours is anywhere from 11/7 to 12/7.

Are your nights cooling off already? We still have nights in the mid- to high-80s, and days this week will be triple digits...

This year we've been having cool nights much of the time (60s!), but mostly they are in the low 70's. Normally it's not that cool. Daytimes, we've only had a few days over 90 and none over 100. It's wacky weather this year.

Average first frost date is Oct 21-31. Problem is, we don't really get fall. It's usually how right up until we get a two week fall, then we're into winter. Many years the fall crops just burn up, but if you don't plant this early they won't mature. I'm hoping this year we'll actually get a nice fall.

But hey, it's raining outside again. And here I was worried because we were only 12" over normal.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9624210

That IS crazy weather, LOL!

I'm praying we have a colder winter, 'cause it was so warm last season, the cabbages wouldn't even make tight heads.

And, the bugs this spring weren't controlled well by a killing frost, so we need some freezes this winter.

Plus, planting out cole crop seedlings in the heat makes them stress out with the roller coaster temps...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9624303

Well this a bit of a thread stray and while I did get some fall mustard greens planted today , How about this ; this is a folklore but :

Fall is here early or coming early according to this '
Autumn Clematis , bloom today ...

Thumbnail by juhur7

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9624367

Yesterday I had fireflies in my yard... In *August*!

Spring was so late I was a little worried we might have a year without a summer, but we got plenty of sun if not normal temps. I'm inclined at this point to think fall will arrive early in the southeast.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2013
5:25 PM

Post #9624387

I hope fall is warm around here and lasts late.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2013

Post #9624441

Rita, I feel cooler just looking at your pictures!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9624512

It has actually been much cooler than normal around here these past few days.

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9624570

Been much cooler here as well. Had another big rain come through tonight. feels like late September lately...havent been to the pool in 10 days.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9624834

We've had such a pleasant summer, I've not had to use the air conditioner.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9624888

Our June & July were great! Few 100 days, lots of rain, clouds, cooler nights. Then August arrived with a vengeance! I think it's been over 100 every day! Yesterday it was something like 108!! That's just crazy!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9624903

Supposed to rain tomorrow and Saturday. My foundation is shifting and I need the moisture...

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9625831

Spagetti Squash, eggplants, yellow squash.
Cucumbers.
Tomatoes.
Melon.
Tomatoes, a spagetti squash, eggplants.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9626009

Wow!

A real melon you grew yourself!

Wow!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9626078

I've been picking watermelons too. I had an Ali Baba which was large and delicious, and a small volunteer that was probably a Blacktail Mountain, also very tasty. My lemon squash are producing in spite of squash bugs, although I think I have to pick them a little smaller because the seeds get quite big if I don't. Loads of tomatoes, and the Dixie butter beans are bearing. Blackberries are plentiful this year as well.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9626092

Sugar Cube melons from Burpee. Very sweet and very desease resistant. I will be planting them again next year.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9627667

My colorful beans that are not green. Yellow ones, well have a green tint but they get yellower. And purple ones. When they are smaller you can see how they are changing from green to purple.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9627916

I grew purple beans this year and they were very tasty!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2013
7:05 PM

Post #9627919

AS the previous was posted , I was sitting here eating Romano Bush beans steamed in butter from the garden .
I am the only one here who likes them ,,oh goody ..
Old Kentucky Wonder for dry beans this year .. I am not the only one here who enjoys Ham & Beans ,, so I won't get all those to myself ,, lol

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9628260

We prefer Blue Lake beans to KY Wonders. I'm not sure why, but the KY Wonders are flatter and didn't do well for us. We've had great success with Blue Lake.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9628293

I love Fortex; I'm going back to those next year, trellises and all.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9628296

I usually grow Blue Lake and have for years. Have some in this year also.

My beans in the picture are two varieties of French Fillet Pole beans. A yellow variety that barely gets yellow before I pick and eat them (as they tatse so good) and the purple variety. They start out green and on some of the smaller beans you can see they are partially purple until they color up.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9628299

Never tried Fortex. My favorite beans are my yard longs. Love those beans. Sweet and tender and tasty.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9628300

Picked tomatoes again.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9628304

Wow, Rita,
You're killing it!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9628378

I have never had so many tomatoes as this year.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9628411

Today's harvest basket contained several tomatoes and 2 Hill Country Red okra pods. Due to the high heat we've been having, my tomatoes are not as large as they were in early to mid July when our temps were about 10 cooler and overnight temps were in the 70s. However, I'll take any size tomato in August after a week of over 100 temps!

This morning, I also planted some stuff for fall. Planted 3 different varieties of cucumbers, National Pickling, Muncher, and Ashley. I've never grown any of these so it'll be a test! We also planted some watermelon. I've missed our fresh grown watermelons this summer. Tomorrow, I plan on planting some Blue Lake pole beans and maybe broccoli.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9628426

Stephanie, harvest looks good.

My okra is a bust so far I have only gotten four pods.

Oh and be sure and report back on the muncher cucumbers. I have seeds of muncher I can use next spring so want to know if they are any good.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9628778

Everything I've read on the Munchers has been positive. Sounds like they're prolific, crunchy, and burpless. We'll see!!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9628786

Pickling cucumbers will be new for me. I decided I should try some and got those seeds. But to late here to plant cucumber seeds now so I will be hopefully planting them next year. Unless they are no good. That is why I will be waiting for your reports on this variety.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9628787

stephanietx wrote:Everything I've read on the Munchers has been positive. Sounds like they're prolific, crunchy, and burpless. We'll see!!

Sounds very good. I want a variety that will pump out lots and lots of cukes.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9629019

Lemon cucumbers are VERY prolific!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9629026

My Lemons are getting small cukes setting , none as yet , only I am seeing them .. oh-(sigh)- yeah !!!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9629086

stephanietx wrote:Lemon cucumbers are VERY prolific!

But they don't look like cucumbers. I need cucumbers that everyone recognizes as cucumbers.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9629454

Last year, I took some to work. I cut one up and had chunks so people could taste it and see what it was. After that, I had people asking when I was bringing more.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9629467

I have a long list of frends and neighbors that I give veggies too each summer season. Mostly tomatoes and cukes that I share. I have to have tomatoes that look like tomatoes and cukes that everyone recognizes right away. No green when ripe type of tomatoes and no cukes that I have to cut up to give samples. And really, the idea of growing a cucumber that doesn't look like what most of us think of cucumbers as looking like just does not much appeal to me.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9629475

I love trying "non-traditional" vegetables, but I agree with Rita in that ff it looks too different most people won't try them. People have accepted non-red tomatoes and non-green peppers and even blue corn chips, so maybe some of the other ones will start to "stick." In the meantime, I try to avoid planting anything that I might not be able to either eat all myself or be able to give away.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9629500

I got NO GARDENING done this weekend... My body just shut down, and I ended up taking catnaps all weekend. The most energy I had was to hold the water hose on the grass...in between the rain...

Since I can NOT sleep during the day unless I'm absolutely sick or totally exhausted, I guess I was exhausted. And, my brain advised me to go with the flow and get the much-needed sleep...

So. The press is now on to get in gear to sow seeds this weekend!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9629790

I so understand Rita and Nicole! I find it amazing how "programmed" the American public has become when it comes to our food source. I like trying new and unusual stuff, and educating those I share it with. My friends at work always enjoyed learning about the produce as well. However, I do understand your predicament.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9629812

Don't 'yah just love the folks who say, "I don't eat that"? And my next question is always, "Have you ever TRIED it?" And, 95% of the time the answer is "No."

"So, how do you know you 'don't eat that' if you've never tried it before?"

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9629817

It's good to try new foods. Sometimes I doin't like them but almost all the time I do like them.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2013
2:29 PM

Post #9629821

I can see the difference between Green Tiger and Caserta. Green Tiger has those heavy stripes. Caserta is light green background with dark green mottling. Both of these look to be much prettier than your average dark green common zucchini. So you might be thinking what difference does it make? It does to me. I want my zucchini to be more appealing and prettier than those dark green types you see commonly at the supermarket.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9629980

Well nowhere near you all , only here you go , munchies ,, two oddities in the back of the pic , I think I picked them too soon ,, had to beat the raccoons and ground hog to them , low hangers ..

Thumbnail by juhur7

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9630070

What are those yellow things you picked too soon?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9630074

Lemon cucumbers !!! Not much taste to them , but not bad , will have to let the next ones ripen some more .. ?
Cool here the rest of the week , if they go on growing and settting the vines at the back of the garden are covered with small ones..

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62261/ I know , you already know this ; only don't believe the 6 to 8 ft vine part ,, I have a few back there well over 12 ft and growing still , like fast growing and vigorous so far a few of them ..

This message was edited Aug 13, 2013 10:32 PM

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9630366

I pick lemon cukes when they still have a little green on them. Don't let them get too big. Also, use a vegetable brush to brush off the spines on them.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9630580

The Lemon cukes are not as good as the White Wonders , Lemon makes a lot more cukes ,onlt the white tastes better
Spoiling one self , requires control , Their both better than stored ..

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9630609

Really? I grew WW once and hated them! LOL It all comes down to personal taste.

Looks like every cucumber seed I planted on Monday is going to sprout after yesterday's rain.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9630618

Always that way isn;t it .. I did not even like cucumbers at all until I aged a while . Must of happened from always drinking green tea , (picked and made myself ) That I have done as long or longer than I can remember ..
I use to grow a few cucumbers though anyway , good food .. not always my favorite .
Some days I could eat a bushel of green beans(and got close) , I wouldn't try that anymore (lol) only at times I still could.
40's TONIGHT .. Getting cool here , way too early for these temperatures .. Half done melons might be dead tomorrow morning or the day after .
Kale and Mustard are going to like it .. nice days I like,, cold nights I don't , can't have everything our way when we play outside , I guess ..

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2013
2:52 PM

Post #9630727

Straight Eight Cucumbers. 2nd pic Burpless and Camilla. Third all cukes from today.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2013
2:56 PM

Post #9630730

My Fall crop or second crop of cuciumber plants are doing really great and growing fast. I never tried a fall crop of cukes before so want them to do well. These are Suyo Long and Orient Wonder. Last pic is my little cuke seedlings I just planted.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9630736

Beans! Purple beans, yellow beans, all the beans. I made them into a bean green bean casarole. Only mine was a purple and yellow bean caserole!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9630753

Wow Rita!! Your garden is really cranking it out! Good job!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9630759

I'm overwhelmed !!! Some one knows how to garden !!!!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9630767

I am growing a wider range of veggies this year than ever before. So really the garden really is doing fabulously. Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, various squash, melons, beans, eggplants, peas and a few other things.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9630777

Pulled out the last of the melons and cukes today; that leaves just the winter squash, peanuts, tomatoes and peppers in the garden of the summer crops.

It's sad to see them go, but beets and radishes and peas and more are ahead!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9630814

Cucumber vines have a limited life spand anyway before the deseses get to them and they need to go. Melons just seem to peter out after they set and grow those melons.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9630826

It's actually pretty late in the year for cukes here, but then again we did get started late, too.

Nights are going to be in the 60's again all week and it's a gorgeous 78 out there right now. In August. My weather surprise meter has just been pegged all year; you'd think I'd be immune by now.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9630833

I am really not that good of a gardener when it comes to many things , I study the plants and diseases and look for remedies and cures .
I enjoy a few health benefits from the different foods , and enjoy the gardens in general

Could not imagine being without some of the goodies anymore . Takes a lot of energy sometimes , only it still fun!!!
Except the Balloon spider I picked up out of the compost that was as big as my hand , and yesterdays scorpion recluse I put a finger through it's web in the Tomatoes before I saw it there .. Only it moved away , and they rarely bite , they would rather move away from my hand or things that bother them ..
The praying mantis are small here but their cute .. Only things to enjoy ..
We have Tarantula and Brown recluse or widow here also . Only things to watch for sometimes while picking through ..

Weather is crazy .. who really knows ,, ( yeah well , besides the creator ) lol

This message was edited Aug 14, 2013 7:50 PM

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9630835

Those spiders would freak me out. I shudder just thinking about them.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9630837

I'm not as fond of them as I could be either ! lol I like silent quiet places in the garden . only those things are too quiet ,, sneaky like nature made them ..

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9631495

***NEW THREAD STARTED!! PLEASE DON'T POST TO THIS THREAD***

New thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1329468/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America