Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: hemlock tree

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 9, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9595714

I have a very large hemlock tree and I would like to put a raised bed around it about a foot deep and 15 foot around the tree. I would like to know if hemlocks will root up into soil added around the roots? I'm afraid it will keep anything from growing?

And also the same question applying to a gum tree ( I think it is a gum tree- the kind that has the prickly little balls that fall off)

Thank you

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9595806

That would be a good way to kill both trees. No reason to worry about root competition with anything you add.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9595876

I agree with VV. I've seen it many times before with conifers. Roasty-toasty.

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9596087

Yeah VV has that right. You never want to build up soil around the root base of trees.
mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2013
5:52 PM

Post #9596884

Uh oh- this spring I spread 6" of a lightweight commercial planting mix under my pine tree, and planted in it. I kept it away from the bark at the base. I had read in several places that most trees could tolerate 6" without being smothered, in fact even deeper addition was recommended by various "experts" as The Best Way To Do It. (Larry Hodgson "Making the Most of Shade", George Schenk "The Complete Shade Gardener", Graham Rice "Planting the Dry Shade Garden", probably some others I can't recall. It certainly WAS easier than trying to squish plants in between the roots, into clay. So far the tree looks fine, and I have no losses of my new plants either. We'll see...

Thumbnail by mlmlakestevens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9601455

ok, well I did intend to keep the new soil about 3 feet out around the actual trunk of the tree, not cover that. How far away from the tree do I need to be to add a raised bed? It just looks terrible because it is so shaded and I guess the tree roots too (?) that nothing is growing there for a long ways and it is just dusty dirt, no grass even.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9601463

You could do 6" of nice organic composty-soil and do some ground-covers that bloom. The raised beds can start at the drip-line on the edge of the tree.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9601489

would hosta live in the 6 inche area? I am afraid that by adding the composty/soil and watering often will invite the tree to root up into it choking out my groundcovers?

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9601491

You could put landscape fabric over before you install the soil. I have the same problem with 3 large cedars.

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9602199

Tree roots need to pull in a certain amount of oxygen. By putting too many layers of anything over top of them, this cuts or limits the supply of oxygen. It will decrease the life of the tree. I especially wouldn't put landscape fabric over the roots but it's your tree to do with as you please :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America