Post #9601392

Thanks MM
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9601975

Crazy rains yesterday! As much as I love the rain for my yard, it washed most of the dirt back into the hole I've dug out ! Grrrrrr!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9602704

Ughh! That would really irritate me.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 17, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9602867

Life wasn't meant to be easy! Can you cover it with plastic in the interim? I brought in a few big loads of soil years back and covered it with builders plastic. The wet season would have washed it all away otherwise. And I actually have a load of top soil (was 10 cubic metres but I've used a bit now) which is still covered with plastic, the cheap plastic tarpaulin that's common these days.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9602949

I re-dug one edge today, and put the cement blocks in place. I have to go buy more bags of cement Saturday to set them. Then I'll start re-digging again... Oh well, keeps me busy and off the streets... :)
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 17, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9603087

When something like that happens to me, I look upward, toward the heavens and say, "I did not deserve that". Sorry Mary.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9603549

Mary don't give up. Nothing good ever comes easy. Just bad stuff comes easy and we know who thats sent from. My soil must be a bit different cause when we were diging larger pond I don't remember so many cave ins but old pond sure was a problem and thats why walls have cement blocks behind the liner. New pond has marine plywood screwed to 2X4's on 3 sides. Walkway side has block wall all the way top to bottom but I don't remember it daving before we got wall put up. The rain helps your plants so thats good.
Larger pond is brown again so added more microblift also salted both ponds this morning. We should have moved all fish out and pressure washed the whole thing like I did old pond as its still crystal clear. That brown muck stays in the bottom. I didn't have enough places to put larger fish while cleaning so left them in and just pressure washed down sides. It was clear at first but now is back to brown. Tested all ponds this morning. Only thing thats high is PH. Would that make it brown. Theres lots of small mud like lookig particles floating in the water. Doesn't seem to be bothering fish any. They are still peppy.
Happy ponding all.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9603800

Mine will have cement block walls too, except for the water fall area. I just dug another trench for the last wall today. Need to buy cement to set them in place, then finish digging the dirt out of the center.

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2013
12:02 PM

Post #9603806

And Bonnie, you're right...the sand caves in. The afternoon rains have at least made it damp sand, so I can get it out by the shovel full. I learned from the last pond, to dig the trench first, cement the blocks in, and then dig the center. It keeps things from collapsing back in.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 19, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9605027

What about settlement of the brick. Do you compact the soil before setting in the brick?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9605218

I set the cement blocks on a bed of cement, and fill each hole with rebar and more cement. It's about ground level, so there can't be any back fall, and the water pressure won't allow any front fall (if that's really a word)
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9605221

The left side of that pic will be a wooden deck walkway. On the right will be the water. No dirt will be removed from the left.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 19, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9605414

I get it. Our ground under the rock became saturated causing the rock to slowly settle down and back into the dirt. It was a real mess to clean up. The idiots who put it in used drainage pipes with holes in them that went by the walls and then didn't put a hose on the overflow valve. You're doing it right the first time around. Wish I had known then...blah blah ...:(
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9605468

Oberon,
Not sure about MMary but I learned the hard way. From bldg. wrong a couple of times. My pond is not elaborately decorated with stone but I do feel its sturdy. Only thing that can hurt it is a hole or tear which now I know how to mend but perish the thought.

M Mary,
are you bldg. it next to your patio or going to put in new walkway next to the pond. If I remember correctly you are planing on a falls, then water runway to a pond? If thats right it will be just beauatiful. To me anything that will hold water and fish is beautiful. I have plenty of umbrella plant when you need some. Just gave Jeff enough to edge all the way along his lani but have more coming on. He is having his house painted and fixing it up a bit.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 19, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9605614

I put in Blue Pickerell last year and it came back with a vengence. I have caged it in and it is now about 4' tall with flowers on the very top. I didn't realize how tall it would be. It blocks the view of the flower bed behind it. May have to rethink the placement. I can see how easily it would become invasive if it gets away from me. Not quite what I had in mind.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9605890

Mary -

I love the blue Pickerel. I wish mine was a bit more invasive. I think it might be if I didn't have that water celery taking over everything.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 20, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9606027

I had water celery and it did indeed spread all over the pond top and survived the winter. When the pond was redone last year they must have dug out the rocks they were wintering under because I don't have them any more. I went out and cut down the pickerel by half and am considering killing it off. I hope that is possible. I will replace it with water lettuce and maybe something a little shorter in the narrow little bed in which the pickerel grows. Only about 12x40" right next to the edge of the rock pond siding.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9606044

I wish I could get rid of mine... Sounds like I need Mike Mulligan and his steamshovel to get rid of it!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 20, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9606152

lol. I just went and pulled up the stuff I have. When I can actually bend over and get down on the ground to dig, I will dig them up the best I can then put a systemic killer on what is left. It will follow the stems down to the roots and kill it off. Any that remain next year I can manage to kill one by one. I imagine your water lettuce is pretty well mixed in with all your other plants so that would be difficult to do. I had raspberries invade my yard one year so as they came up I nipped them off and saturated a cotton ball with the systemic killer and wrapped it around the stem. Kept it under some control. Then the owner (after the idiot renter left) said we could go in and dig up and kill off the plants on the other side of the fence.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9620596

I'm trying to get water celery to grow. Have some in a tubby. Can't put it into ponds cause fish eat it so fast its gone in a day. I tasted it and it tastes pretty good so I can see why they like it. My grandson liked it too.
Hate to say it but have another brood of CTF's. Went out with spotlight other AM early and found 4 large ones and today found 4 smaller ones near old pond. Looks like I'll have to buy a large spotlight and try MM method of night hunting. Buggers!!
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2013
4:47 AM

Post #9620843

I opened the large porch umbrella and they were all inside! Told my hubby I'd close it again, wait another few days and have him ready with ziploc bags while I open it slowly. (he's taller than me, so can reach them better) Darn CTF's!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9620933

Sounds like CTF season. Is there a time of year they seem to appear?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9622284

Summer is their time to thrive it seems. Had been seeing a few of the little green ones that are native so hopefully I can get these large CTF's.

Go get em M Mary. I hate just looking at them. Ug!!!!!

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9629345

Scored these rocks for free! They'll go into my water fall.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9629347

Found this 2 part water fall on Craigslist...Not sure if I'll use it whole (it's about 5 feet tall combined) or use each part separately.

Thumbnail by MerryMary   Thumbnail by MerryMary         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9629441

Wow! Very nice!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9629540

Wonderful!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 13, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9629546

Great waterfall. And those rocks! Pretty spendy if you were to have to pay for them. Paying for rocks. Rediculous. lol
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9629574

[quote="Oberon46"]Great waterfall. And those rocks! Pretty spendy if you were to have to pay for them. Paying for rocks. Rediculous. lol[/quote]

I so agree. We seem to do it though, don't we?

It reminds me of when I was a kid. Used to be you could get the marrow bones and the beef fat for nothing from the butcher. Now you have to pay for them. Used to be the wings on a chicken were thrown away as well. Now we pay a premium price for them as well. ^_^

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9629666

WONDERFUL FIND. THEY WILL BE BEAUTIFUL I'M SURE.
GLAD YOU ARE PROGRESSING WITH YOUR POND. LOVE THOSE FLAT STONES. MAKES THEM EASIER TO WORK WITH.
KEEP ON KEEPING ON M MARY
BONNIE
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9630370

My daughter had her baby last night, so I have a little helper sleeping over for a few nights. Bonnie, you met my little Brayden at your house when we dropped off some fish. He's now a big brother and I'm a grandma again! Schools just about to start, so between meetings, open houses, babies, sleepover buddies, etc...I don't think I'll get much accomplished this week!
Bonnie, I see some koi listed in Clermont on Craigslist...do you know that person?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 14, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9630435

Congratulations Mary!! Your days sound busy but very full of love and family.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9630840

MM -

Congratulations on being a Gramma again! There is nothing like grandchildren is there...

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9630904

CONGRATULATIONS M Mary. Yes I remember your beautiful grandson.
You are getting something accomplished this week being Grandma!!!

Haven't been on Craiglist for a long time I'll have to check.

Take care and hope mother and new baby are doing fine.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2013
6:38 PM

Post #9630938

Looked at Craigs list. Can't say I know anyone that would have that many fish.

Also noticed lots of other fish on there plus pond items. Thats kind of unusual.
When I was looking for stuff for ponds I found nothing. Guess it was wrong time.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2013
7:53 PM

Post #9631965

If you can see through the mess, I finally have all of the cement block walls built along the outside. Here in Florida, you need something to hold the sand back if you have straight wall depth instead of graduated depth.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9631969

Wow MM! You have been busy. You will get there. Wish I was there to help!

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 16, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9632401

How deep did you say it was going to be Mary? What sort of footings are under the block or is that not necessary there.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9632419

I put about a 6 inch cement footer under the blocks. In the areas where there will be more wear and tear, like a place where someone may stand or sit, or a corner, I have 2 rows of block on top of the footer. I put rebar inside the block and wet cement, just for a little additional "hold". I'll leave an 8inch ledge inside the block, as a plant shelf, so it adds a little extra packed structure before digging the deeper sections. I'm not making it deeper than 3-4 feet, we don't get a freeze, and I have a sun shade-cloth that will go over one end to eliminate the hot afternoon sun.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9632421

Actually, the most time involved was digging up all of my plants, and putting them in containers so that I can someday replant them! They are alllll over the place, and actually in the way, but I didn't want to lose the ones I had collected through the years.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9632560

Oh Mary, I am so with you about babying our plants. This past week I have been digging and preparing my Japanese irises for their move to the WKBG, it's necessary as I just can't take care of everything any more, but heartbreaking, too! I have 52 different ones and they will make a nice new addition to the botanical garden in Owensboro. My son is on the board of directors, so it's like a living family legacy. I'll get to visit occasionally, might hit it when they are blooming. The water lilies are just beautiful right now and my nephew has agreed to take the pond and move it to his yard. I'll be posting pictures of that endeavor as it happens. He'll probably have to rent a bobcat to dig the hole. I have a huge rubber liner, lots of good years left in it.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9632572

Wow! What a great idea! A living legacy! How nice that they're not going to a compost pile somewhere. (and someone else will weed their beds!)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9636686

Good for you Mittsy. You will be able to visit your plants when in the area. A living legacy is a wonderful idea.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9636693

M. Mary,
If you need any nursery pots to hold plants temporarily I have around 200 and would be glad to bring you some as I certainly don't need them.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2014
12:54 PM

Post #9753544

Doesn't seem possible but come around July 2014 new pond will be in for 2 years. Lots of changes have taken place but thankfully no leaks in either smaller old pond or new one.
Since last year, heron ate 1/2 of old ponds contents just a couple of weeks ago, larger pond has 10 new fish all over 2 feet. Being Jan. 2014 weather has had cold snaps but all fish are still living. Need to get some new plants for both ponds but that's a minor job.
Have pots of sweet flag still floating around. Cold doesn't seem to bother them.

Hope every ones ponds are thriving and you are looking forward to spring enjoyment.

Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 22, 2014
1:24 PM

Post #9753558

We are still running 38-45 F and ice on pond continues to melt. Gold fish is still in skimmer. I know it won't last and we will get super dumped before spring. I looked a pics from last year and know I have to be patient. three more months of ample snow on the ground though the raised beds might be poking up by then (end of april)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2014
2:18 PM

Post #9753599

Mary - we are still colder than you are and you are in Alaska. Something not right about that. We are supposed to have extended frigid temps. Ugh! Anything below 68 degrees for me is cold.

Bonnie - glad things are going well for your ponds. Time does fly doesn't it?

I am watching the DVD's Dave made of the pond during the summer. So glad they have sound, right now it is the only way I am getting my waterfalls!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 22, 2014
5:43 PM

Post #9753705

I never thought about that. My camera will take moving pictures, albeit not very long but still. Even my phone does and it picks up sound. Amazing.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2014
8:57 AM

Post #9754081

I have some vidoes on my phone that I took last summer of the pond. Wonder what we did before cell phones.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 23, 2014
6:16 PM

Post #9754358

Had fewer interruptions???
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2014
5:59 AM

Post #9754585

Mary - you are so right and I knew that when I typed it. I can still hear the conversation between my mother and myself some years ago when cell phones were first coming out. "I don't want to be available every minute of the day". There is something to that, isn't there?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 24, 2014
7:22 AM

Post #9754632

Fortunately not that many people have my number. I only got one for my children (when they were grown) and husband so they could get in touch with me if they had to. I can be pretty certain if it rings it is one of them, and with James in Hawaii, it was either Damien or Laura. Now just Damien. They are so convenient though. Just being able to call and remind D to pick up something at the store on his way home is nice.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2014
5:44 AM

Post #9755273

My son said he would never get a cell phone. Now he has one that does everything but eat for you. He calls them a tether. His wife lives on hers. Sometimes to the extent I consider it rude.

One time when I was very glad I had one was when I was hit in the back in my van I had for my business. 911 in a hurry is very handy. My old fashioned husb. won't part with his at all.
Rarely uses it but keeps it right in his top shirt pocket so he never misses a call even though he can't hear very well. Usually we get good reception and transmission. Now I'm hooked on them too. I don't text as I'd rather talk to someone and it would cost me more on my program and I don't use it for checking internet that is also an extra charge. Let's face it we aren't going to go back to not having them.

Keep warm all.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America