Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: White butterfly with big pink spots?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9601773

I wish I had a picture of it, but it did just flutter by...

Does any one know the name of a white butterfly with a one big pink spot on each wing?

I saw one in my garden the other day here in Central Florida. I looked in this book I have, "Florida Butterfly Gardening" that has a ton of beautiful pictures in it, but this one wasn't in it. When I try Google image searches, all I get are a lot of graphics and craft projects.

I was hoping some bug-watcher or collector might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9605060

Lots of possibilities. I saw a butterfly a few days ago that I thought was white with pink spots moth. As I was taking a picture it was scared off by a curious bystander. Later the one out of focus picture showed a lightly marked checkered white male (see attached).
I am not aware in general of a U.S. butterfly as you described. Was the pink spot above or below on the wings?
The known butterflies of Florida limit the possibilities. Florida whites are unique to Florida and the male is satin white with some yellow-orange near wing base.
Orange sulphurs are common in Florida and albinos with pink spot(s) occur. Another possibility is a Little yellow sulphur female that is light yellow or white with a pink apical spot on the forewing below.
Hope this info is of help to you.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9605586

Another possibility is Great southern white. See http://bugguide.net/node/view/636838/bgimage
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9667030

Maybe it was some sort of mutation... 'cuz this one looked like a white butterfly that someone with pink ink on their thumb and forefinger had "pinched" it, and left one big pink "fingerprint" on each wing near the body.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America