-
AuthorContent
babylily
Miller Place, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9602437

So I just started to get into daylilies in the past few years and this year as some of them bloomed there are marks on them. Almost like someone peeled the skin off of the petals. It is just white and no color. It is on 3 of my daylilies and all of them I bought at the same place. Is it a bug or disease? The first picture is Little Grapette and this one is the worst every day the new blooms have these marks. The 2nd one is Strawberry Candy. This one is not as bad since it has only been on some of the blooms. Thanks so much for the help!

Thumbnail by babylily   Thumbnail by babylily
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9602459

I am totally guessing at this but I'm thinking Japanese Beetles. They LOVE to eat flowers. Currently, they are eating the yellow part of our Shasta daisies and when that's not enough, they eat the petals. They are also eating the petals on our Summer Snowflake Viburnum. I feel like they are really bad this year.
weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9602493

It certainly looks like something is eating your strawberry candy. Your little grapette looks weird. I can't say what is going on because I have never seen anything like it.
After doing a little research and looking at photos, it looks like the possibility could be thrips or earwigs.
http://fortheloveofgardeningbishophill.blogspot.com/2010/06/june-in-rainville.html
http://viettes.wordpress.com/category/insect-pests-in-the-garden/
babylily
Miller Place, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9602526

I checked the site out and yes that is what it looks like! So it must be earwigs. Now I have to figure out how to get rid of them! Thanks so much!
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9602600

I sure am glad I ran across this, I have been wondering what caused the damage on my daylilies sometimes. I think it is thrips, I shall spray them today.
weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9607530

You are very welcome and good luck.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 21, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9607784

Earwigs only become active in the evening where there are fewer predator's around,
the best way I know to get rid is to take a smallish flower pot, fill with straw or paper from your shreading machine and fill the pot, stick a cane or two into the soil among the Daylilie's the earwigs will crawl into the pots for shelter as dawn shows up.
Next thing is to take a bucket of boiling water and shake the pot into the hot water, or take a metal bucket and drop the paper /bugs into the flames, works every time.
each time you do this you need to replace the straw or paper to catch the next earwig family. these insects love Dahlias, Roses etc too, so if you have them on the Lilies you can bet your last dollar they will be lurking elsewhere even in lettuce, they like plants that are tightly curled either in flower or leaf.
Good luck and best regards. WeeNel.
babylily
Miller Place, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9631663

Thanks so much all!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America