AuthorContent
SeniaO
Trego, MT
(Zone 4b)

July 17, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9602763

Hello,

I am new at gardening and have a question about planting tree and bush seeds (birch, maple, european mountain ash, lilac, blueberry). I want to plant the seeds directly in the ground this fall, as it would happen in nature, but was wondering if I should place them in peet pellets, which would then be placed in the soil, or just put the seeds directly in the soil. There are some YouTube videos that talk about starting seeds in peet pellets (Jiffy-7 or others), which might provide better access of air to the seeds, and possibly alter the moisture conditions.

I actually live in another State, and will only be able to plant the seeds at our lot inTrego, MT 59934 (about 20 inches of annual precipitation), which already has a mixture of aspen, larch, pine, spruce trees, and keep my fingers crossed until the next year. A couple of years ago, in early May, I attempted to plant seedlings at the same location, but didn't have much success - either they got too dry or got eaten by deer (I was only able to find Norwegian spruce seedlings that survived, and no sign of birch or maple seedlings). This time I want to try planting the seeds (in larger quantities) in the Fall - September/October time frame, hoping if they start naturally, they will be a bit more viable.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of the place, in case it helps to assess the moisture/shade conditions. Should I clear the grass around the spots where I plant seeds, or cover it with leaves?

Any tips and suggestions are really appreciated. I apologize if this is not the right category for my question.

Sam

This message was edited Jul 17, 2013 5:43 PM

Thumbnail by SeniaO   Thumbnail by SeniaO
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2013
1:49 PM

Post #9605253

Seeds should be as fresh as possible. Yes, the more seeds the better. You might have better luck with natives in the long run. I wouldn't think peat would be necessary. In grass might be okay as long as they drop deep enough to come in contact with the soil. Leaf mold or pine duff in part shade might be better. You might want to try a control group at home in pots, outdoors, in shade.
SeniaO
Trego, MT
(Zone 4b)

July 19, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9605354

Thank you, Pollengarden!

Unfortunately, I live in California right right now, but I can try to use my refrigerator to immitate winter time :)

SeniaO

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

September 11, 2013
9:45 PM

Post #9657616

Tree seeds are a different ball game than perennials. Many require stratification. Also not all will sprout if seeds are fresh. Below is a seed data base link where you may find info. He also sells seeds.

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/index.htm
mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2013
12:18 AM

Post #9696496

Hi Senia-
Try this USDA database for some specific info on your seeds. I have it saved in my favorites list. Some tree seeds want to be placed in "mineral soil" which means very little organic matter, and some like to be in leaf litter. So some would not like the peat pots. This database is amazing, including many many plants. It is often aimed at commercial growers so sometimes the wording might be confusing as some words are not explained. I love the European Mountain Ash too. They have naturalized around here a bit, so must sprout in the soil, possibly after being bird food.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/

For example, search out Quercus garryana, the Garry Oak (you can do either common or scientific name searches) and click on "plant guide" (I usually choose the pdf file). This one includes some tips on saving the acorns from becoming wildlife food, which might be important for your situation...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America