Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Luxor Lily, maybe ?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Canada_Bob
Blackpool
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2013
4:10 AM

Post #9604540

Moved from Canada to England a few months ago and in the process of cleaning up the garden we found some mystery bulbs, so we planet them to see what came up, glad we did {see the photo's}.

Not sure what species they are, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on what they are, the closest match that I've found on the www is the Asiatic Luxor, except that ours don't have the little dark spots inside the flower.

If anyone would like any seeds {once they are ready to go} just drop me a line.

Canada Bob.

Thumbnail by Canada_Bob   Thumbnail by Canada_Bob
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Canada_Bob
Blackpool
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2013
1:51 PM

Post #9606272

A couple more photo's of them, maybe I should add that they are about 18" tall and they the flowers stay for about a week then are replaced by more blossoms.

Canada Bob.

Thumbnail by Canada_Bob   Thumbnail by Canada_Bob   Thumbnail by Canada_Bob      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 20, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9606318

An up-facing Asiatic hybrid lily... It's hard to put a name to it as there are so many cultivars. (It is definitely not 'Luxor' though, which has orange-gold brushmarks.)

I was going to post a link to the RHS Lily Registry where it used to be possible to search lily cultivars based on a few characteristics; however, it no longer seems to be possible to do this on-line. It seems one has to buy the database from RHS now... ?

This message was edited Jul 20, 2013 2:48 PM
Canada_Bob
Blackpool
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9606839

Thanks for the feedback, I know next to nothing about lilies, nice to know the clan though {that it's an Asiatic}, are all up facing lilies Asiatics ?

I guess you are right that it isn't a Luxor, the nearest I can find seems to be the Golden Sunburst. Whatever it is it's a keeper, first time I've ever planted lily bulbs, I didn't know what they were and came so close to throwing them away, real glad that I didn't now.

Thanks for taking the time, it's valued and appreciated.

Canada Bob.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 21, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9606996

Asiatic hybrid lilies are grouped according to flower position - up-facing, out-facing, down-facing. Up-facing flowers also occur on other species and hybrids though, so the characteristic doesn't define Asiatic hybrids.

floraphiliac

floraphiliac
Ludington, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9607109

Lilium ‘Buff Pixie’ ? It gets to about 18".
http://www.perennials.com/plants/lilium-buff-pixie.html
as does 'Lemon Ice'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/305570/

It also looks like Lilium 'Courier' but that is taller at 3 to 4 foot.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/314135/
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 21, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9607226

The 'Pixie' series is a good starting point. Not 'Buff Pixie' (wrong colour) and not 'Lemon Ice' (which has spots while the one in question doesn't).
Canada_Bob
Blackpool
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2013
2:07 AM

Post #9607910

Seems that there's hundreds of variants of lilies, is that down to the nature of the plant, do lilies cross pollinate so rampantly in the wild to the extent that there's too many natural variants to put a name to them all ? or is it down to the meddling of men so to speak ?

I've googled and gazed at so many lilies on the www until all the colours bleed into one, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

I was wondering if there's a sort of ID chart where you could put enter details of the plant, flower colour, orientation of the flower, freckles/no freckles, solid colour/paint strokes, height of the plant etc as a way to at least find the family group if not the exact plant.

I'm beginning to think there's so many variants wild and contrived that it might be impossible to ID some plants other than say they belong / are a sub species of a general group.

Have to say those bulbs that we near threw away have become more than just a delight to look at but an interesting quest to find their roots, so to speak.

Thanks for the feedback, it's valued and appreciated.

Canada {ex Nova Scotia} Bob.

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9608028

Good luck with this...there are sooooooo many! It does resemble 'Courier' but that is a much taller lily. However, since you just planted this bulb, it has not reached it's mature height yet so Courier could still be a possibility.

Here's a few ...these are white. When it first opens is your lily white/cream or yellow?
'Flevo' / 'Flevo White' (in MHO this one looks most like yours )
'Tiny Nanny'
'Endless Love'
'Tiny Snowflake'
'New Wave'
Canada_Bob
Blackpool
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2013
4:35 AM

Post #9609167

Thanks for the input Pixie, appreciated.

It looks like there are more lilies than folks have names for them, maybe that's just down to their nature, do they cross pollinate easier than other flowers?

As for the bulbs, when we found them {in a pot} it looks like they'd been established for a couple of years maybe more, and just outgrown the small pot they were in, they looked in a sorry state, came so close to throwing them away, but right now they are the pride of our garden, so respecting that/them we would like to find out who they are, and how to increase their numbers.

Thanks for the pointer towards Courier, I'll check that out.

Canada Bob.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 23, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9609360

No, they don't hybridize more easily than other plants. Asiatic hybrids and the other classes of hybrid lilies are man-made, so to speak.

The "ID chart" for lily cultivars is the RHS Lily Registry. This is the listing of all registered lily cultivars and includes the details that (supposedly) make each different from the other cultivars. (Once there are many thousands of cultivars, the "distinctness" between many of them becomes slight... dare I say imaginary?) As I mentioned, I couldn't find an on-line listing of it anymore. You could also look at bulb supplier catalogues on-line (look at "up-facing white Asiatic hybrids") to see if you can ID yours.
Canada_Bob
Blackpool
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9609869

Looks like the pointer from Pixie may well have identified the lily that we have over here. After checking out the lilies on the list I have to say that the Flevo White is the one, or as close to it as I'll ever get.

The photo's of Flevo White that I've found on the www fit almost hand in glove, no discernable differences that I could see, but, more than that, the profile on the link below fits the plant pretty well in that it's 12" to 14" tall, prolific flowering but as the link also says not much {if any} fragrance, so it looks like we have bagged it.

http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/lilium-flevo-white/

I'm really grateful of the help that all of you have afforded me, learned a lot about lilies from it, thanks for to altagardener for that, I'm looking forward to fostering what we have here and establishing a corner of the garden for it next year.

If any of you want of the seeds when they are ready just let me know.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, it's valued and appreciated.

Canada Bob.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2013 4:53 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America