Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: BIG FLY want an ID

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 1, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dex_323
Victoria
Canada

July 20, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9606195

Hi
I was wondering if you could tell me what this fly is that I found while out hiking. I had just been stung twice by a wasp and a hornet and this was the last thing I wanted to see but was very interested in what it is.
Its very hot and dry there in the summer typicaly but a storm was on the way in.
This fly seemed quite docile at this time.
This was on July 13th 2013
It was by Lytton BC, canada
It seemed to have a metallic like blue abdomen and was quite large , over an inch.
with a patch of short black hairy fur bhind the eyes which were also black
As far as i can find it looks like a blow fly but much to large and has dark to black wings.
At first i was thinking some sort of horse fly?
Thanks

Thumbnail by dex_323   Thumbnail by dex_323
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

July 20, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9606226

This fly does look somewhat like a male black horse fly (Tabanus atratus) - http://foter.com/photo/tabanus-atratus-male/, but the abdomen looks more like that of a bot fly in the family Cuterebridae - http://bugguide.net/node/view/548638

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America