-
AuthorContent
Penannophia
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9607594

I got two new pullets this weekend. One of them is Ameracauna, but I'm not sure about the red one. I was hoping someone on here might recognize it. Also, any guesses if they are hens or roosters? They are still a little too young to be laying or crowing.

Thumbnail by Penannophia   Thumbnail by Penannophia
Click an image for an enlarged view.

AdamAgain
SW, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9607637

If the seller told you that they are pullets, you probably have two young females. A pullet is a young female chicken.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 21, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9607725

They both look like Ameraucans pullets to me; I don't see any roosterish traits.
Penannophia
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2013
2:38 AM

Post #9607920

Thanks everyone. I adopted them from a rescue organization. I asked them for pullets, but they weren't sure about the genders. I'm hoping both are hens because they are beautiful birds and very sweet. If either is a rooster, he will go back to the rescue farm. The red one has is sneezing so I've got them separated from the rest of my flock for a couple of weeks.
AdamAgain
SW, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2013
4:03 AM

Post #9607949

I agree with pork' about their looking like pullets; they look female to me. I don't know much about Ameraucans–I’ve never been around them.

When trying to determine sex in a flock of youngsters, I look mainly at head shape, comb and wattle development, feather development around the neck and on the bottom edges of the wings, and spur bumps.

The chicken is a wonderful animal, a blessing. Once upon a time I was attempting to answer a list of trivial questions in a newspaper. The question was: What’s the animal most widely distributed throughout the world? I guessed chicken. WRONG!! The paper showed the correct answer to be: the goat.

Enjoy your hens and cacklefruits.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2013 6:05 AM
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9623104

Those look like mighty fine chickens. How are they doing? Gotten over the sneezing?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9625697

Beautiful EE pullets. Hope they are doing well.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America