Chicken ID, please

Whitehouse Station, NJ(Zone 6b)

I got two new pullets this weekend. One of them is Ameracauna, but I'm not sure about the red one. I was hoping someone on here might recognize it. Also, any guesses if they are hens or roosters? They are still a little too young to be laying or crowing.

Thumbnail by Penannophia Thumbnail by Penannophia
SW, AR(Zone 8a)

If the seller told you that they are pullets, you probably have two young females. A pullet is a young female chicken.

Richmond, TX

They both look like Ameraucans pullets to me; I don't see any roosterish traits.

Whitehouse Station, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone. I adopted them from a rescue organization. I asked them for pullets, but they weren't sure about the genders. I'm hoping both are hens because they are beautiful birds and very sweet. If either is a rooster, he will go back to the rescue farm. The red one has is sneezing so I've got them separated from the rest of my flock for a couple of weeks.

SW, AR(Zone 8a)

I agree with pork' about their looking like pullets; they look female to me. I don't know much about Ameraucans–I’ve never been around them.

When trying to determine sex in a flock of youngsters, I look mainly at head shape, comb and wattle development, feather development around the neck and on the bottom edges of the wings, and spur bumps.

The chicken is a wonderful animal, a blessing. Once upon a time I was attempting to answer a list of trivial questions in a newspaper. The question was: What’s the animal most widely distributed throughout the world? I guessed chicken. WRONG!! The paper showed the correct answer to be: the goat.

Enjoy your hens and cacklefruits.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2013 6:05 AM

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Those look like mighty fine chickens. How are they doing? Gotten over the sneezing?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful EE pullets. Hope they are doing well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.