Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Group buy FALL bulbs Phase II

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Heya! Are we having fun yet?? I'm really thrilled with the way this group order is coming together. See this thread for "Phase I" of this order: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1314389/#top

The Brent & Becky's part of Phase I is FINAL. The order has been placed and paid for. Details are at the top of this post: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9532832

In the ADR group buy, there are still some great bulbs to be had, and new participants are welcome!

AFTER JULY 26, we may be unable to get some varieties that we've been talking about, so it's important to get orders and additions in ASAP this week!

This message was edited Jul 21, 2013 10:40 PM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's the long version of where we are after Phase I of our ADR order. "Action items" are in bold text. (see next post for short version)

Please see this post for pricing information: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9532832

Amaryllis Double Dream – sold out bag of 10
(6 5) Amaryllis Flamenco Queen – need to sell 6 more to get to 10 or this one will be cancelled; 1 more for Critter
(5 4) Amaryllis Misty – need to sell 5 more to get to 10 or this one will be cancelled: 1 more for Critter

Allium christophii – sold out, can get another bag of 50; Happy would take 10
Allium Purple Sensation – sold out, can get another bag of 50
Allium schubertii -- need to sell 30 more to get to 50, or it will be dropped

Oriental Hyacinths
(20) Skyline – need to sell 20 more for 2nd bag of 50
(50 ) Woodstock

Iris reticulatum J. S. Dyt – sold out unless there’s enough interest for another bag of 150

Iris reticulatum Harmony – sold out unless there’s enough interest for another bag of 150

Leucojum ‘Gravetye Giant’ -- sold out unless there’s enough interest for a 2nd bag of 100; Aspen would take 10
Muscari armeniacum – sold out bag of 250; can get 30 bags slightly smaller bulbs for $4.16 per 50
Muscari ‘Blue Spike’ – can make up to 25 available
Muscari ‘Dark Eyes’ – 50 still available

TULIPS
Darwin hybrid ‘Godoshnik’ sold out, unless there’s enough interest for 50 more
(175 )Darwin hybrid Red Impression – must sell 175 more or these will be DROPPED
T. kaufmanii ‘Heart’s Delight’ -- sold out, unless there’s enough interest for 50 more

DAFFODILS
N. ‘Actaea’ – must sell 100 more to get to 250, or these will be DROPPED
N. Barrett Browning – sold out bag of 75, can get another bag if there’s interest
(35)N. Bahama Beach – must sell 35 more for second bag of 75
(60)N. Cum Laude – only 15 ordered, need 60 more or these will be DROPPED
(55)N. Delnashauge – only 20 ordered, need 55 more or these will be DROPPED
(30)N. February Gold – need 30 more for 3rd box of 50
(25)N. Geranium – need 25 more for 2nd box of 75, or 125 more for cheaper bag of 250
N. Hawera – sold box of 50, or need 450 more for bulk bag of 500
N. Ice Follies – need to sell six more packs of 25, or we can get larger bulbs in boxes of 75
(50 ) N. Jack Snape ($2.12 for 5): 5 for Critter
N. Jetfire – need 400 more for bulk bag of 500, or will order 2 boxes of 50
(50) N. Las Vegas JUMBO (size 18+, $4.55 for 5) – up to 50 still available
(25) N. Las Vegas regular size (12/14, $2.35 for 5) – up to 25 still available
N. Minnow – sold 1 box of 50, can get another box of 50 if there’s interest
(50) N. Red Devon – 50 available to get to 250
(25)N. Stainless – need to sell 25 more for 2nd box of 75
(45) N. Tahiti – need to sell 45 more, or it will be dropped
N. Thalia – 1st box of 50 is sold out, can get more

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

AMARYLLIS: Please take another look at 'Misty' and 'Flamenco Queen'. Misty is elegant, FQ is flashy, both are highly sought-after varieties at very good prices. If we don't sell 10 of each, they will be dropped.

ALLIUM schubertii -- need to sell 30 more to get to 50, or it will be dropped.

ORIENTAL HYACINTHS
'Skyline': Unless there's lots more interest, I'll drop my number a bit, and we'll be fine with one bag of 50. Let's go for some other colors instead.

'Woodstock' is one of my favorites, a wonderful beetroot color that always draws comments, and I know some people were interested in it -- so give me numbers! Feel free to nominate other varieties, also, and let me know how many you would want.

MUSCARI ‘Dark Eyes’ – 50 still available, but don't feel pushed, because I can find space for them if nobody else wants some.

TULIPS $8 for 25 JUMBO 'Red Impression' (Darwin) bulbs, and we have 150 of them left? Are we really going to let this deal go??

DAFFODILS

Looks like we'll be dropping some of the best fragrant ones -- double 'Tahiti' and butterfly daffs 'Delnashauge' and 'Cum Laude' -- unless there's a sudden major surge of interest.

(100) N. 'Acteae' -- need to sell 250 total or DROP these. Take another look... they are so pretty, with their rimmed cup, and they're an old variety with a great reputation for naturalizing and increasing.

(100) N. 'Ice Follies' -- another great naturalizer that puts on a good show, opening yellow and maturing to bicolor. If we can get our order to 250, we will save about 30% AND get bigger (14/16) bulbs.

(50) N. Red Devon – 50 available to get to 250

(25) N. Stainless – Either we sell 25 more, or the five people who ordered so far will each get 15 bulbs rather than 25 (works for me).

(35) N 'Bahama Beach' little cuties! Either we sell 35 more, or people will get 15 rather than 25 bulbs (works for me).

If there are other varieties of interest, now is the time to speak up! For example, I know some people like those swept-back little blooms like 'Jack Snape' ($4.25 for 10 bulbs, I think), and there's nothing like them on the list.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

space reserved for orders & additions

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Critter -- do you have a running tally of what we have already committed to? I didn't keep a record, but I can reconstruct.

Edited to say: Never mind -- I found it on the Phase 1 thread.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2013 9:55 PM

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill, I'd asked for 10 Allium schubertii, but I don't see my name on the list. So we only need 15 more to complete the order!

It looks like both daffodils that I wanted are both in danger of being dropped. :(

If it helps, I could drop Delnashauge and replace with Tahiti, although I'd really like both!

Hi, Critter. Thanks so much for organizing and keeping track of all of this! Of course, I can't remember what I've ordered already, but here are my responses to below:

>

This is lovely. I'll take 10.

I'll take 25.

These are all beautiful. What kinds of numbers do we need for these, Critter, to place the order?

These are very pretty. I'm definitely willing to take some, but am a little daunted by the number needed to get to 250! I could take 25.

Can I take 25?

okay, I'll take 25.

I could take 20 if someone else wanted the remaining 15.

Catmint, it looks like your copy/paste didn't show up on that post.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Spent a lot of the day at Catoctin Zoo with Joyanna & my middle niece, who is here for a shortened "camp week," so we're trying to get a lot of activities packed into a couple of days... Hot & tired, still have to get a half dozen tie dye shirts from the washer to the dryer before I go to bed...

After tomorrow, I should be able to stay on top of this order far better. We will get everything checked and verified by the end of the week, and we will be able to continue adding to our order after that (we'll just be limited by what's in their considerable state-side inventory).

Catmint, please do repeat your order post above. My mind reading skills are worse than my fingerspelling... this evening, we stopped at Wegman's... turns out the guy behind the cheese counter was deaf, and he's probably still laughing at the way I asked him, where's the cheFFer cheese?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Jill I sent a paypal payment this morning with the rest of the money. I believe I am paid in full now!! ^_^

Critter, you mean you couldn't read those blank spaces?? :-D LOL okay, here's my second attempt! I guess the program didn't like my copy and paste.

--AMARYLLIS: Please take another look at 'Misty' and 'Flamenco Queen'. Misty is elegant, FQ is flashy, both are highly sought-after varieties at very good prices. If we don't sell 10 of each, they will be dropped.

*I'll take 10 of each*

--ALLIUM schubertii -- need to sell 30 more to get to 50, or it will be dropped.

*I'll take 15*

ORIENTAL HYACINTHS
--'Woodstock' is one of my favorites, a wonderful beetroot color that always draws comments, and I know some people were interested in it -- so give me numbers! Feel free to nominate other varieties, also, and let me know how many you would want.

*The Woodstock is gorgeous. The minimum order is 50, right? I'll take 20. Other colors are lovely. But would we be able to reach the minimum order?*

--MUSCARI ‘Dark Eyes’ – 50 still available, but don't feel pushed, because I can find space for them if nobody else wants some.

*I'll take 20*

--TULIPS $8 for 25 JUMBO 'Red Impression' (Darwin) bulbs, and we have 150 of them left? Are we really going to let this deal go??

*I'll take 50*

--DAFFODILS
Looks like we'll be dropping some of the best fragrant ones -- double 'Tahiti' and butterfly daffs 'Delnashauge' and 'Cum Laude' -- unless there's a sudden major surge of interest.

*These are all 3 lovely!! How many more do we need to meet the minimum order?*

--(100) N. 'Acteae' -- need to sell 250 total or DROP these. Take another look... they are so pretty, with their rimmed cup, and they're an old variety with a great reputation for naturalizing and increasing.

*I'd be happy to take 20 but not sure how much that will help us get to our goal? :-(

--(100) N. 'Ice Follies' -- another great naturalizer that puts on a good show, opening yellow and maturing to bicolor. If we can get our order to 250, we will save about 30% AND get bigger (14/16) bulbs.

*It's lovely. Same as above--20.*

--(50) N. Red Devon – 50 available to get to 250

*So pretty. I'll take 25. Can someone else take the other 25?*

--(25) N. Stainless – Either we sell 25 more, or the five people who ordered so far will each get 15 bulbs rather than 25 (works for me).

*Okay, you twisted my arm :-D 25!*

--(35) N 'Bahama Beach' little cuties! Either we sell 35 more, or people will get 15 rather than 25 bulbs (works for me).

*I'll take 20; can someone else take the other 15?*

--If there are other varieties of interest, now is the time to speak up! For example, I know some people like those swept-back little blooms like 'Jack Snape' ($4.25 for 10 bulbs, I think), and there's nothing like them on the list.

Cute! I'll take 10.

--AMARYLLIS: Please take another look at 'Misty' and 'Flamenco Queen'. Misty is elegant, FQ is flashy, both are highly sought-after varieties at very good prices. If we don't sell 10 of each, they will be dropped.
--*I'll take 10 of each

Oh, wait a minute, I see these 2 are the super expensive ones, and I probably misread what you're saying. How many more of these do we need to make it to 10?

thanks and sorry for the confusion!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I might be ok guaranteeing the rest of the N. 'Acteae', N. 'Ice Follies' and N. Red Devon to get to the threshold -- thinking about it.

I can't find anything about Jack Snape -- can someone point me to a photo?

This message was edited Jul 23, 2013 8:40 AM

Hi Happy. When I googled it it came up as Jack Snipe

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks CatMint! Ok, I found it under Jack Snipe -- https://store.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/productview/?sku=01-0606

Critter, I'd take some Jack Snipes -- how many do we need to buy to seal the deal?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

AMARYLLIS: these are "super expensive" because they're big bulbs, a tender plant that many people like to have bloom around the holidays inside. They can be grown on from year to year, getting bigger and/or producing offsets.

Unless I missed somebody's request, we have 4 'Flamenco Queen' and 5 'Misty' remaining so that we get to 10 each on these varieties. I can take one more of each as Christmas gifts, leaving 3 and 4, respectively. 'FQ' was a big oooh and aaah hit at Philly, and 'Misty' has been very hard to find (an elegant rose-pink trumpet shape, not your usual amaryllis).

ORIENTAL HYACINTHS
Catmint, speak up for 20 of whatever you are interested in... if a couple more people jump in, it'll probably be a "go." I like most of them, too, so I'm just waiting to see if we get to 40 or 45 on another color -- I'd take what remains.

DAFFODILS
'Jack Snipe' (yes, sorry, that was a typo) comes in a box of 50 for $21.20. You'd want 5 or 10 for a little rock garden grouping, more like 25 to make any kind of statement along the edge of a border I think. It's actually less back-swept than I remembered, see https://www.adrbulbs.com/plantname/Narcissi-miniature-Jack-Snipe

'Jetfire' is another little cutie for those who like the wildflower look of the more reflexed blooms, and it is listed at a box of 50 for $13.77.

Happy, when we get toward the end of the week, I'll Dmail you and let you know the numbers on those varieties once we see who else can add a few.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Critter -- thanks -- I'm interested in 25 of Jack Snipe -- I already ordered tons of Jetfire and I'm happy to wiggle my order this way or that to accommodate what others might want.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--or anyone else--would you know the name of these daffs???

I will have bulbs of these to share at the swap--as i dug up a pretty big clump.

Thanks--Gita
edited to add that these bloom later than all the other Daffs and the foliage takes
FOREVER to die off....
looking at B&B catalog as i write this....the closes one seems to be "Merle's Favorite'...
on Page 10.
The cup is not lemon-yellow/ yellow--but has a touch of pale butterscotch t o it.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2013 3:29 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't know the name, Gita, but I think I have the same one in my island bed -- came mixed in with some 'Geranium' daffs I bought years back.

Are there any fall bulbs on our "still available" list above that interest you, Gita? I know your space is limited, but bulbs are easier to "tuck in somewhere." :-)

Daffodil 'Jetfire' We can get a much better price if we buy a bag of 500 (don't panic, these are mini's) rather than boxes of 50: $5.25 for 25 bulbs, rather than our current price of $6.86 per 25. I think Happy has researched them as one of the especially good naturalizing varieties (correct me if I'm wrong). I bet Aspen-Terri will want some, because she loves those reflexed petals. Happy is down for 100. Who else?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I could add on another 100 Jetfire -- I love love love them.

Yipee! That brings us to 50 for Allium schubertii. Thanks, Catmint!

Jill, let us know if you need some of us to consolidate the Amaryllis orders. I would prefer 3 different varieties, but I could get 2 of one variety and 1 of another, just so we can reach the minimum.

--AMARYLLIS: these are "super expensive" because they're big bulbs, a tender plant that many people like to have bloom around the holidays inside. They can be grown on from year to year, getting bigger and/or producing offsets.

**That's great, Critter--I was just trying to explain that when I realized the cost it meant I needed to rethink what I was ordering--didn't intend to question why they were more expensive, or sound critical of the fact that they were more expensive.

--Unless I missed somebody's request, we have 4 'Flamenco Queen' and 5 'Misty' remaining so that we get to 10 each on these varieties. I can take one more of each as Christmas gifts, leaving 3 and 4, respectively. 'FQ' was a big oooh and aaah hit at Philly, and 'Misty' has been very hard to find (an elegant rose-pink trumpet shape, not your usual amaryllis).

**I can take 2 of each, if someone can pick up the remaining ones.

--ORIENTAL HYACINTHS
Catmint, speak up for 20 of whatever you are interested in... if a couple more people jump in, it'll probably be a "go." I like most of them, too, so I'm just waiting to see if we get to 40 or 45 on another color -- I'd take what remains.

**Well, I was thinking the Peter Stuyvesant would look really pretty with the Woodstock, and the Fondante would look really nice with the Skyline. I also really like Miss Saigon. So, I would be happy to order 20 of each if others are interested.

I'd also like to join in the order of Jetfire. 25?

thanks so much!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--No thank you.....I think I am good....
Haven't really been following this group buy Thread....
Have gotten way too many plants as it is--and need to find a spot for them.

You have not been posting much--but we already have a great gardener
new subscriber.... We are burning the D-mails and have already
visited each others gardens. She is quite young with two small children.

She will be coming to Sally's swap for sure--she also lives pretty close to me.
Maybe 20 minutes. Her name is Karen.
She is already posting on the MA Chat thread,,,and more...pictures and all.
She has been a member since last year--but a subscriber only a month.
I gifted it to her..........Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'll buy 2 each of the open Amaryllis. How close are we now on those?

I'm also ok with ordering 20 each of the Oriental Hyacinths.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, thanks, Catmint... numbers are coming up nicely!

Allium schubertii box of 50 will definitely be ordered; there are still 5 available. :-)

N. 'Red Devon' bag of 250 will definitely be ordered; 25 still available. Price is just 29 cents per bulb!

We're halfway there on 'Jetfire', so let's see if we can get to that quantity discount. $5.25 for 25 bulbs would be very nice. (I'm down for 25 now)

Amaryllis all 3 are "go" -- thanks! Happy, I have you down for 3 of 'Double Dream' and 2 each of 'FQ' and 'Misty'. We still have 2 bulbs of 'Flamenco Queen' available. (ordering 2 extras is within my comfort zone; ordering 9 extras wasn't. :-)

ORIENTAL HYACINTH let's see what happens. Tell me which ones you would want and how many, then we'll see about getting numbers up to 50.

I added 'Fondant' 2 years ago, and it's my favorite pink hyacinth ever. It has a deep pink stripe down the center of each petal, giving it more dimension from a distance as well as looking beautiful up close.

'Miss Saigon' is another favorite of mine, rich royal purple. It and 'Woodstock' are such great jewel-tones that I think they'd play well together. I'm less sure about 'Peter' with 'Woodstock'...

but I think 'Peter' and 'Skyline' and 'Fondante' would be a great combination, and those 3 are especially well priced (50 cents per bulb, 44 cents for Fondante)

--I added 'Fondant' 2 years ago, and it's my favorite pink hyacinth ever. It has a deep pink stripe down the center of each petal, giving it more dimension from a distance as well as looking beautiful up close.
'Miss Saigon' is another favorite of mine, rich royal purple. It and 'Woodstock' are such great jewel-tones that I think they'd play well together. I'm less sure about 'Peter' with 'Woodstock'...
but I think 'Peter' and 'Skyline' and 'Fondante' would be a great combination, and those 3 are especially well priced (50 cents per bulb, 44 cents for Fondante)

thanks so much, Critter--I am totally amazed how you can keep track of all these orders! Thanks also for the tips about the hyacinth colors. It's hard to tell just from the photos on the website, so it's nice to get your advice on this. Miss Saigon + Woodstock sound lovely together, and Peter+Skyline+Fondante also sound like a very pretty combination! Of course, I'll be fine with anything, depending on how the orders go.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

CatMint, you've got 10 of 'Skyline' (if we end up getting a 2nd bag after all, you can have 20). Would you want 20 each of the other 4 varieties, or do you really only want 2 or 3 varieties?

If you and Happy are both interested in up to 20 bulbs of each variety (Peter, Fondante, Woodstock, Miss Saigon), I don't think we'll have a problem getting to 50 on those.

Remember, everybody, ORIENTAL HYACINTHS are great for forcing, too!

--CatMint, you've got 10 of 'Skyline' (if we end up getting a 2nd bag after all, you can have 20). Would you want 20 each of the other 4 varieties, or do you really only want 2 or 3 varieties?

yes, 20 of each please! :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

About the daffs which look like they'll be dropped... We need to order 75 each (min) of 'Cum Laude', 'Delnashauge', or 'Tahiti'. I don't think there are more than 30 ordered on any of those three.

Maybe we could concentrate on one of them and see how that goes...

N. 'Tahiti' is a standout that has multiplied nicely for me. It would be my top recommendation for anybody who doesn’t have double daffs in their garden -- huge full blooms of yellow flecked with bright orange petaloids, sturdy stems (seldom flops, which is impressive considering the size of the blooms), and a lovely sweet fragrance.

--Maybe we could concentrate on one of them and see how that goes...
N. 'Tahiti' is a standout that has multiplied nicely for me. It would be my top recommendation for anybody who doesn’t have double daffs in their garden -- huge full blooms of yellow flecked with bright orange petaloids, sturdy stems (seldom flops, which is impressive considering the size of the blooms), and a lovely sweet fragrance.

**Yes, that makes sense, Critter. I'm happy to go with N. Tahiti! It sounds lovely. I would be happy to take 20.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Catmint: If you quote someone (like Critter), it works nicely to first look at the entry you want to quote from, then hit the word "quote" over on the left. That will put the quote in a little box. You can edit out what you don't want to use. It makes it easier to tell what you are saying from what you are quoting from Critter.

Critter: I can take 20 Tahiti if that helps.

Thanks Happy. I've been trying to figure out how to quote on this forum--as you can tell LOL

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Catmint, yu can test out how to quote or other things in the Test Forum over here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/test/all/

It has helped me many a time!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Me, too. I had to learn to copy and paste stuff for the swap this past spring.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's also easier for me to tell orders from discussion if you post like this:

20 Tahiti
25 Red Devon

Thanks!

You are all going to LOVE 'Tahiti'.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Cool. That brought us to 70 sold on 'Tahiti'. SSG, I'll hold those last 5 for you, so you have 15 instead of 10. I figured you'd want them since the butterfly daffs just don't look like a "go" this year (meaning you'd be dropping 15 Delnashauge), but let me know if you don't want them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

BTW, I haven't mentioned this for a while... but bring a friend or neighbor "in" on this offer if you can. These prices are outstanding, and they just get better when we hit higher quantity discounts. You don't have to overwhelm them with the whole list, just say they can get 25 of the biggest red tulip bulbs they've ever seen for $8, or jumbo bulbs of a "daffodil on steroids" (Las Vegas) at 5/$5.

:-)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Critter; I'll try to follow the preferred format when ordering -- I had forgotten. I know this is a TON of work for you!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy, it's not a big deal -- it just helps me to not miss things. Gotta make sure everybody has all the bulbs they want! ;-)

Jill, thank you for holding the last 5 bulbs of Tahiti for me!

You're right, the Delnashauge will probably get dropped.

I can't wait for next spring's blooms! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.