Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Group buy FALL bulbs Phase II

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 252, Views: 1,466
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9607776

Heya! Are we having fun yet?? I'm really thrilled with the way this group order is coming together. See this thread for "Phase I" of this order: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1314389/#top

The Brent & Becky's part of Phase I is FINAL. The order has been placed and paid for. Details are at the top of this post: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9532832

In the ADR group buy, there are still some great bulbs to be had, and new participants are welcome!

AFTER JULY 26, we may be unable to get some varieties that we've been talking about, so it's important to get orders and additions in ASAP this week!

This message was edited Jul 21, 2013 10:40 PM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2013
7:51 PM

Post #9607783

Here's the long version of where we are after Phase I of our ADR order. "Action items" are in bold text. (see next post for short version)

Please see this post for pricing information: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9532832

Amaryllis Double Dream – sold out bag of 10
(6 5) Amaryllis Flamenco Queen – need to sell 6 more to get to 10 or this one will be cancelled; 1 more for Critter
(5 4) Amaryllis Misty – need to sell 5 more to get to 10 or this one will be cancelled: 1 more for Critter

Allium christophii – sold out, can get another bag of 50; Happy would take 10
Allium Purple Sensation – sold out, can get another bag of 50
Allium schubertii -- need to sell 30 more to get to 50, or it will be dropped

Oriental Hyacinths
(20) Skyline – need to sell 20 more for 2nd bag of 50
(50 ) Woodstock

Iris reticulatum J. S. Dyt – sold out unless there’s enough interest for another bag of 150

Iris reticulatum Harmony – sold out unless there’s enough interest for another bag of 150

Leucojum ‘Gravetye Giant’ -- sold out unless there’s enough interest for a 2nd bag of 100; Aspen would take 10
Muscari armeniacum – sold out bag of 250; can get 30 bags slightly smaller bulbs for $4.16 per 50
Muscari ‘Blue Spike’ – can make up to 25 available
Muscari ‘Dark Eyes’ – 50 still available

TULIPS
Darwin hybrid ‘Godoshnik’ sold out, unless there’s enough interest for 50 more
(175 )Darwin hybrid Red Impression – must sell 175 more or these will be DROPPED
T. kaufmanii ‘Heart’s Delight’ -- sold out, unless there’s enough interest for 50 more

DAFFODILS
N. ‘Actaea’ – must sell 100 more to get to 250, or these will be DROPPED
N. Barrett Browning – sold out bag of 75, can get another bag if there’s interest
(35)N. Bahama Beach – must sell 35 more for second bag of 75
(60)N. Cum Laude – only 15 ordered, need 60 more or these will be DROPPED
(55)N. Delnashauge – only 20 ordered, need 55 more or these will be DROPPED
(30)N. February Gold – need 30 more for 3rd box of 50
(25)N. Geranium – need 25 more for 2nd box of 75, or 125 more for cheaper bag of 250
N. Hawera – sold box of 50, or need 450 more for bulk bag of 500
N. Ice Follies – need to sell six more packs of 25, or we can get larger bulbs in boxes of 75
(50 ) N. Jack Snape ($2.12 for 5): 5 for Critter
N. Jetfire – need 400 more for bulk bag of 500, or will order 2 boxes of 50
(50) N. Las Vegas JUMBO (size 18+, $4.55 for 5) – up to 50 still available
(25) N. Las Vegas regular size (12/14, $2.35 for 5) – up to 25 still available
N. Minnow – sold 1 box of 50, can get another box of 50 if there’s interest
(50) N. Red Devon – 50 available to get to 250
(25)N. Stainless – need to sell 25 more for 2nd box of 75
(45) N. Tahiti – need to sell 45 more, or it will be dropped
N. Thalia – 1st box of 50 is sold out, can get more
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9607806

AMARYLLIS: Please take another look at 'Misty' and 'Flamenco Queen'. Misty is elegant, FQ is flashy, both are highly sought-after varieties at very good prices. If we don't sell 10 of each, they will be dropped.

ALLIUM schubertii -- need to sell 30 more to get to 50, or it will be dropped.

ORIENTAL HYACINTHS
'Skyline': Unless there's lots more interest, I'll drop my number a bit, and we'll be fine with one bag of 50. Let's go for some other colors instead.

'Woodstock' is one of my favorites, a wonderful beetroot color that always draws comments, and I know some people were interested in it -- so give me numbers! Feel free to nominate other varieties, also, and let me know how many you would want.

MUSCARI ‘Dark Eyes’ – 50 still available, but don't feel pushed, because I can find space for them if nobody else wants some.

TULIPS $8 for 25 JUMBO 'Red Impression' (Darwin) bulbs, and we have 150 of them left? Are we really going to let this deal go??

DAFFODILS

Looks like we'll be dropping some of the best fragrant ones -- double 'Tahiti' and butterfly daffs 'Delnashauge' and 'Cum Laude' -- unless there's a sudden major surge of interest.

(100) N. 'Acteae' -- need to sell 250 total or DROP these. Take another look... they are so pretty, with their rimmed cup, and they're an old variety with a great reputation for naturalizing and increasing.

(100) N. 'Ice Follies' -- another great naturalizer that puts on a good show, opening yellow and maturing to bicolor. If we can get our order to 250, we will save about 30% AND get bigger (14/16) bulbs.

(50) N. Red Devon – 50 available to get to 250

(25) N. Stainless – Either we sell 25 more, or the five people who ordered so far will each get 15 bulbs rather than 25 (works for me).

(35) N 'Bahama Beach' little cuties! Either we sell 35 more, or people will get 15 rather than 25 bulbs (works for me).

If there are other varieties of interest, now is the time to speak up! For example, I know some people like those swept-back little blooms like 'Jack Snape' ($4.25 for 10 bulbs, I think), and there's nothing like them on the list.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9607807

space reserved for orders & additions
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9608075

Critter -- do you have a running tally of what we have already committed to? I didn't keep a record, but I can reconstruct.

Edited to say: Never mind -- I found it on the Phase 1 thread.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2013 9:55 PM
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9608805

Jill, I'd asked for 10 Allium schubertii, but I don't see my name on the list. So we only need 15 more to complete the order!

It looks like both daffodils that I wanted are both in danger of being dropped. :(

If it helps, I could drop Delnashauge and replace with Tahiti, although I'd really like both!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9608961

Hi, Critter. Thanks so much for organizing and keeping track of all of this! Of course, I can't remember what I've ordered already, but here are my responses to below:

>

This is lovely. I'll take 10.

I'll take 25.

These are all beautiful. What kinds of numbers do we need for these, Critter, to place the order?

These are very pretty. I'm definitely willing to take some, but am a little daunted by the number needed to get to 250! I could take 25.

Can I take 25?

okay, I'll take 25.

I could take 20 if someone else wanted the remaining 15.

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9608999

Catmint, it looks like your copy/paste didn't show up on that post.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2013
9:31 PM

Post #9609037

Spent a lot of the day at Catoctin Zoo with Joyanna & my middle niece, who is here for a shortened "camp week," so we're trying to get a lot of activities packed into a couple of days... Hot & tired, still have to get a half dozen tie dye shirts from the washer to the dryer before I go to bed...

After tomorrow, I should be able to stay on top of this order far better. We will get everything checked and verified by the end of the week, and we will be able to continue adding to our order after that (we'll just be limited by what's in their considerable state-side inventory).

Catmint, please do repeat your order post above. My mind reading skills are worse than my fingerspelling... this evening, we stopped at Wegman's... turns out the guy behind the cheese counter was deaf, and he's probably still laughing at the way I asked him, where's the cheFFer cheese?

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2013
2:43 AM

Post #9609123

Jill I sent a paypal payment this morning with the rest of the money. I believe I am paid in full now!! :-)

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
3:47 AM

Post #9609138

Critter, you mean you couldn't read those blank spaces?? :-D LOL okay, here's my second attempt! I guess the program didn't like my copy and paste.

--AMARYLLIS: Please take another look at 'Misty' and 'Flamenco Queen'. Misty is elegant, FQ is flashy, both are highly sought-after varieties at very good prices. If we don't sell 10 of each, they will be dropped.

*I'll take 10 of each*

--ALLIUM schubertii -- need to sell 30 more to get to 50, or it will be dropped.

*I'll take 15*

ORIENTAL HYACINTHS
--'Woodstock' is one of my favorites, a wonderful beetroot color that always draws comments, and I know some people were interested in it -- so give me numbers! Feel free to nominate other varieties, also, and let me know how many you would want.

*The Woodstock is gorgeous. The minimum order is 50, right? I'll take 20. Other colors are lovely. But would we be able to reach the minimum order?*

--MUSCARI ‘Dark Eyes’ – 50 still available, but don't feel pushed, because I can find space for them if nobody else wants some.

*I'll take 20*

--TULIPS $8 for 25 JUMBO 'Red Impression' (Darwin) bulbs, and we have 150 of them left? Are we really going to let this deal go??

*I'll take 50*

--DAFFODILS
Looks like we'll be dropping some of the best fragrant ones -- double 'Tahiti' and butterfly daffs 'Delnashauge' and 'Cum Laude' -- unless there's a sudden major surge of interest.

*These are all 3 lovely!! How many more do we need to meet the minimum order?*

--(100) N. 'Acteae' -- need to sell 250 total or DROP these. Take another look... they are so pretty, with their rimmed cup, and they're an old variety with a great reputation for naturalizing and increasing.

*I'd be happy to take 20 but not sure how much that will help us get to our goal? :-(

--(100) N. 'Ice Follies' -- another great naturalizer that puts on a good show, opening yellow and maturing to bicolor. If we can get our order to 250, we will save about 30% AND get bigger (14/16) bulbs.

*It's lovely. Same as above--20.*

--(50) N. Red Devon – 50 available to get to 250

*So pretty. I'll take 25. Can someone else take the other 25?*

--(25) N. Stainless – Either we sell 25 more, or the five people who ordered so far will each get 15 bulbs rather than 25 (works for me).

*Okay, you twisted my arm :-D 25!*

--(35) N 'Bahama Beach' little cuties! Either we sell 35 more, or people will get 15 rather than 25 bulbs (works for me).

*I'll take 20; can someone else take the other 15?*

--If there are other varieties of interest, now is the time to speak up! For example, I know some people like those swept-back little blooms like 'Jack Snape' ($4.25 for 10 bulbs, I think), and there's nothing like them on the list.

Cute! I'll take 10.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
3:58 AM

Post #9609142

--AMARYLLIS: Please take another look at 'Misty' and 'Flamenco Queen'. Misty is elegant, FQ is flashy, both are highly sought-after varieties at very good prices. If we don't sell 10 of each, they will be dropped.
--*I'll take 10 of each

Oh, wait a minute, I see these 2 are the super expensive ones, and I probably misread what you're saying. How many more of these do we need to make it to 10?

thanks and sorry for the confusion!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9609266

I might be ok guaranteeing the rest of the N. 'Acteae', N. 'Ice Follies' and N. Red Devon to get to the threshold -- thinking about it.

I can't find anything about Jack Snape -- can someone point me to a photo?

This message was edited Jul 23, 2013 8:40 AM

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9609375

Hi Happy. When I googled it it came up as Jack Snipe
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9609500

Thanks CatMint! Ok, I found it under Jack Snipe -- [HYPERLINK@store.brentandbeckysbulbs.com]

Critter, I'd take some Jack Snipes -- how many do we need to buy to seal the deal?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9609570

AMARYLLIS: these are "super expensive" because they're big bulbs, a tender plant that many people like to have bloom around the holidays inside. They can be grown on from year to year, getting bigger and/or producing offsets.

Unless I missed somebody's request, we have 4 'Flamenco Queen' and 5 'Misty' remaining so that we get to 10 each on these varieties. I can take one more of each as Christmas gifts, leaving 3 and 4, respectively. 'FQ' was a big oooh and aaah hit at Philly, and 'Misty' has been very hard to find (an elegant rose-pink trumpet shape, not your usual amaryllis).

ORIENTAL HYACINTHS
Catmint, speak up for 20 of whatever you are interested in... if a couple more people jump in, it'll probably be a "go." I like most of them, too, so I'm just waiting to see if we get to 40 or 45 on another color -- I'd take what remains.

DAFFODILS
'Jack Snipe' (yes, sorry, that was a typo) comes in a box of 50 for $21.20. You'd want 5 or 10 for a little rock garden grouping, more like 25 to make any kind of statement along the edge of a border I think. It's actually less back-swept than I remembered, see [HYPERLINK@www.adrbulbs.com]

'Jetfire' is another little cutie for those who like the wildflower look of the more reflexed blooms, and it is listed at a box of 50 for $13.77.

Happy, when we get toward the end of the week, I'll Dmail you and let you know the numbers on those varieties once we see who else can add a few.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9609594

Critter -- thanks -- I'm interested in 25 of Jack Snipe -- I already ordered tons of Jetfire and I'm happy to wiggle my order this way or that to accommodate what others might want.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9609607

Jill--or anyone else--would you know the name of these daffs???

I will have bulbs of these to share at the swap--as i dug up a pretty big clump.

Thanks--Gita
edited to add that these bloom later than all the other Daffs and the foliage takes
FOREVER to die off...
looking at B&B catalog as i write this...the closes one seems to be "Merle's Favorite'...
on Page 10.
The cup is not lemon-yellow/ yellow--but has a touch of pale butterscotch t o it.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2013 3:29 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9609729

I don't know the name, Gita, but I think I have the same one in my island bed -- came mixed in with some 'Geranium' daffs I bought years back.

Are there any fall bulbs on our "still available" list above that interest you, Gita? I know your space is limited, but bulbs are easier to "tuck in somewhere." :-)

Daffodil 'Jetfire' We can get a much better price if we buy a bag of 500 (don't panic, these are mini's) rather than boxes of 50: $5.25 for 25 bulbs, rather than our current price of $6.86 per 25. I think Happy has researched them as one of the especially good naturalizing varieties (correct me if I'm wrong). I bet Aspen-Terri will want some, because she loves those reflexed petals. Happy is down for 100. Who else?

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
2:30 PM

Post #9609756

I could add on another 100 Jetfire -- I love love love them.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9609817

Yipee! That brings us to 50 for Allium schubertii. Thanks, Catmint!

Jill, let us know if you need some of us to consolidate the Amaryllis orders. I would prefer 3 different varieties, but I could get 2 of one variety and 1 of another, just so we can reach the minimum.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9609826

--AMARYLLIS: these are "super expensive" because they're big bulbs, a tender plant that many people like to have bloom around the holidays inside. They can be grown on from year to year, getting bigger and/or producing offsets.

**That's great, Critter--I was just trying to explain that when I realized the cost it meant I needed to rethink what I was ordering--didn't intend to question why they were more expensive, or sound critical of the fact that they were more expensive.

--Unless I missed somebody's request, we have 4 'Flamenco Queen' and 5 'Misty' remaining so that we get to 10 each on these varieties. I can take one more of each as Christmas gifts, leaving 3 and 4, respectively. 'FQ' was a big oooh and aaah hit at Philly, and 'Misty' has been very hard to find (an elegant rose-pink trumpet shape, not your usual amaryllis).

**I can take 2 of each, if someone can pick up the remaining ones.

--ORIENTAL HYACINTHS
Catmint, speak up for 20 of whatever you are interested in... if a couple more people jump in, it'll probably be a "go." I like most of them, too, so I'm just waiting to see if we get to 40 or 45 on another color -- I'd take what remains.

**Well, I was thinking the Peter Stuyvesant would look really pretty with the Woodstock, and the Fondante would look really nice with the Skyline. I also really like Miss Saigon. So, I would be happy to order 20 of each if others are interested.

I'd also like to join in the order of Jetfire. 25?

thanks so much!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9609950

Jill--No thank you...I think I am good...
Haven't really been following this group buy Thread...
Have gotten way too many plants as it is--and need to find a spot for them.

You have not been posting much--but we already have a great gardener
new subscriber... We are burning the D-mails and have already
visited each others gardens. She is quite young with two small children.

She will be coming to Sally's swap for sure--she also lives pretty close to me.
Maybe 20 minutes. Her name is Karen.
She is already posting on the MA Chat thread,,,and more...pictures and all.
She has been a member since last year--but a subscriber only a month.
I gifted it to her...Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9610074

I'll buy 2 each of the open Amaryllis. How close are we now on those?

I'm also ok with ordering 20 each of the Oriental Hyacinths.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9610118

Yes, thanks, Catmint... numbers are coming up nicely!

Allium schubertii box of 50 will definitely be ordered; there are still 5 available. :-)

N. 'Red Devon' bag of 250 will definitely be ordered; 25 still available. Price is just 29 cents per bulb!

We're halfway there on 'Jetfire', so let's see if we can get to that quantity discount. $5.25 for 25 bulbs would be very nice. (I'm down for 25 now)

Amaryllis all 3 are "go" -- thanks! Happy, I have you down for 3 of 'Double Dream' and 2 each of 'FQ' and 'Misty'. We still have 2 bulbs of 'Flamenco Queen' available. (ordering 2 extras is within my comfort zone; ordering 9 extras wasn't. :-)

ORIENTAL HYACINTH let's see what happens. Tell me which ones you would want and how many, then we'll see about getting numbers up to 50.

I added 'Fondant' 2 years ago, and it's my favorite pink hyacinth ever. It has a deep pink stripe down the center of each petal, giving it more dimension from a distance as well as looking beautiful up close.

'Miss Saigon' is another favorite of mine, rich royal purple. It and 'Woodstock' are such great jewel-tones that I think they'd play well together. I'm less sure about 'Peter' with 'Woodstock'...

but I think 'Peter' and 'Skyline' and 'Fondante' would be a great combination, and those 3 are especially well priced (50 cents per bulb, 44 cents for Fondante)

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9610131

--I added 'Fondant' 2 years ago, and it's my favorite pink hyacinth ever. It has a deep pink stripe down the center of each petal, giving it more dimension from a distance as well as looking beautiful up close.
'Miss Saigon' is another favorite of mine, rich royal purple. It and 'Woodstock' are such great jewel-tones that I think they'd play well together. I'm less sure about 'Peter' with 'Woodstock'...
but I think 'Peter' and 'Skyline' and 'Fondante' would be a great combination, and those 3 are especially well priced (50 cents per bulb, 44 cents for Fondante)

thanks so much, Critter--I am totally amazed how you can keep track of all these orders! Thanks also for the tips about the hyacinth colors. It's hard to tell just from the photos on the website, so it's nice to get your advice on this. Miss Saigon + Woodstock sound lovely together, and Peter+Skyline+Fondante also sound like a very pretty combination! Of course, I'll be fine with anything, depending on how the orders go.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9610141

CatMint, you've got 10 of 'Skyline' (if we end up getting a 2nd bag after all, you can have 20). Would you want 20 each of the other 4 varieties, or do you really only want 2 or 3 varieties?

If you and Happy are both interested in up to 20 bulbs of each variety (Peter, Fondante, Woodstock, Miss Saigon), I don't think we'll have a problem getting to 50 on those.

Remember, everybody, ORIENTAL HYACINTHS are great for forcing, too!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
9:09 PM

Post #9610151

--CatMint, you've got 10 of 'Skyline' (if we end up getting a 2nd bag after all, you can have 20). Would you want 20 each of the other 4 varieties, or do you really only want 2 or 3 varieties?

yes, 20 of each please! :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2013
9:10 PM

Post #9610153

About the daffs which look like they'll be dropped... We need to order 75 each (min) of 'Cum Laude', 'Delnashauge', or 'Tahiti'. I don't think there are more than 30 ordered on any of those three.

Maybe we could concentrate on one of them and see how that goes...

N. 'Tahiti' is a standout that has multiplied nicely for me. It would be my top recommendation for anybody who doesn’t have double daffs in their garden -- huge full blooms of yellow flecked with bright orange petaloids, sturdy stems (seldom flops, which is impressive considering the size of the blooms), and a lovely sweet fragrance.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
9:16 PM

Post #9610159

--Maybe we could concentrate on one of them and see how that goes...
N. 'Tahiti' is a standout that has multiplied nicely for me. It would be my top recommendation for anybody who doesn’t have double daffs in their garden -- huge full blooms of yellow flecked with bright orange petaloids, sturdy stems (seldom flops, which is impressive considering the size of the blooms), and a lovely sweet fragrance.

**Yes, that makes sense, Critter. I'm happy to go with N. Tahiti! It sounds lovely. I would be happy to take 20.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9610413

Catmint: If you quote someone (like Critter), it works nicely to first look at the entry you want to quote from, then hit the word "quote" over on the left. That will put the quote in a little box. You can edit out what you don't want to use. It makes it easier to tell what you are saying from what you are quoting from Critter.

Critter: I can take 20 Tahiti if that helps.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9610553

Thanks Happy. I've been trying to figure out how to quote on this forum--as you can tell LOL
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9610573

Catmint, yu can test out how to quote or other things in the Test Forum over here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/test/all/

It has helped me many a time!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9610612

Me, too. I had to learn to copy and paste stuff for the swap this past spring.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9610644

It's also easier for me to tell orders from discussion if you post like this:

20 Tahiti
25 Red Devon

Thanks!

You are all going to LOVE 'Tahiti'.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2013
11:13 AM

Post #9610653

Cool. That brought us to 70 sold on 'Tahiti'. SSG, I'll hold those last 5 for you, so you have 15 instead of 10. I figured you'd want them since the butterfly daffs just don't look like a "go" this year (meaning you'd be dropping 15 Delnashauge), but let me know if you don't want them.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9610657

BTW, I haven't mentioned this for a while... but bring a friend or neighbor "in" on this offer if you can. These prices are outstanding, and they just get better when we hit higher quantity discounts. You don't have to overwhelm them with the whole list, just say they can get 25 of the biggest red tulip bulbs they've ever seen for $8, or jumbo bulbs of a "daffodil on steroids" (Las Vegas) at 5/$5.

:-)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9610746

Thanks, Critter; I'll try to follow the preferred format when ordering -- I had forgotten. I know this is a TON of work for you!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9610804

Happy, it's not a big deal -- it just helps me to not miss things. Gotta make sure everybody has all the bulbs they want! ;-)
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9610810

Jill, thank you for holding the last 5 bulbs of Tahiti for me!

You're right, the Delnashauge will probably get dropped.

I can't wait for next spring's blooms! :)

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9610814

happy_macomb wrote:Catmint: If you quote someone (like Critter), it works nicely to first look at the entry you want to quote from, then hit the word "quote" over on the left. That will put the quote in a little box. You can edit out what you don't want to use. It makes it easier to tell what you are saying from what you are quoting from Critter.

Critter: I can take 20 Tahiti if that helps.

ta-da! thanks for the tip! :-)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9610826

Nice quoting there, CatMint!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2013
3:34 PM

Post #9610885

LOL!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9610909

I just counted up all the bulbs I bought. EEK! That's a lot of digging...

Catmint, Sat Oct 12th is our bulb sorting party at Critterologist's in Frederick. I believe this is still separate from the fall swap, which is tentatively scheduled for... Sally's place in September?

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9610981

Thanks! Oct 12 is on my calendar! Looking forward to it.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2013
4:06 AM

Post #9611264

Sally hosted last year -- she's a sweetheart, but let's give her a break. Maybe we need a thread for when/where chat. :-)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9611555

I have to admit to being a little lost on where things stand on the open orders, but I can take another:

Jetfire -- I really do love it -- 100 or 200
'Ice Follies' -- 100 or 200
'Actaea' -- 100 or 200

Might put them on my awful front hill (though I had vowed to keep it bulb-free) -- let me know what else is needed.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2013 1:11 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9612070

Happy, I just sent you a detailed Dmail with your order thus far... maybe we can split some of those extras between us, at least for now, so we get them ordered at the price we want. (If nobody takes them, we know we'll find space!)

SSG, my spreadsheet currently has you down for 255 assorted bulbs. Hopefully that's around the same as the number you're expecting; don't worry if it's not exact; we have time to fix any glitches before ship date. And don't EEK on me -- that's not even 1/4 kilobulb! ROFLOL

CatMint, sending you Dmail now also...
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2013
3:32 AM

Post #9612149

LOL Critter, 255 is most certainly 1/4 kilobulb! How the heck am I gonna dig all those holes...

Holy moley, I'm a quarter kilo bulber!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9612197

LOL, you're right! You're a quarter kilobulber!

It's not 255 holes. Plant in clumps and drifts... Those 100 grape hyacinths? They hardly count, since you can sprinkle them around as you're filling in the hole for your 'Tahiti' daffs. And the iris reticulatum only need to be about 2 inches down, not in a "real" 6 inch deep hole. There. Over half of what you're getting is "easy." Feel better?

Actually, I think you "need" some 'Ice Follies' daffs, as they should bloom about the same time as the Iris ret.

More bulbs, less digging! See http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1415/
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9612250

I planted 'Ice Follies' (50) in 5 clumps around the wilder part of my yard over 20 years ago. I have never fed or divided them yet each year I get 50 blooms as big as when I started. Highly recommend.

Edited to add that I believe they have not 'increased' much over the decades because the amount of shade has x10!

This message was edited Jul 26, 2013 9:06 AM
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2013
7:14 AM

Post #9612257

That's a great article! I'm definitely going to plant the grape hyacinths in large drifts, or at least try!

I'm going to plant the baby irises around the daffodil bulbs, but the tricky part is that there are already perennials planted in these beds, and the bulbs need to go around them. So I may have no choice but to dig large holes.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9612432

You can also plant earlier-blooming little bulbs literally on top of later-blooming ones. That's how the Keukehnoff gets their changing designs of crocus and tulip blooms.

YAHOOO! I submitted our list of additions and changes to ADR just now. I'll call them this afternoon (think they're maybe just a little busy today? LOL) to double check the combined order(s).

I bumped us up to the 250 bulb bag of 'Tahiti'... same size bulbs, and 250 of them cost about what we'd pay for two boxes of 75; couldn't resist.

SO -- now I'm encouraging everybody to try my favorite double daffodil! 25 bulbs for $7.25. Try pricing them anywhere else... The next best price I could find was VE... If we bought them in late fall at 40% off, and if we bought 500 of them, we could get 25 for $10.55.

I also added N. 'Martinette', an old multi-flowered daffodil that's bright yellow with an orange cup and musky-sweet. I have one clump, love them, and they've gradually increased despited being planted where other daffs has gradually faded away (tough spot). It's also probably my latest-blooming daffodil, making it a good season-extender. 25 for $6.65 (or other multiples of 5; I got a box of 75 size 14/16). I think I'm going to plant some 'Geranium' daffs with them. :-)

I snitched a few grape hyacinths so another DGer could have some... if you ordered 100, you now have 90; if you ordered 50, you now have 45. We might want to consider adding a second bag of 250, if anybody is serious about planting them "in drifts"... you'd be surprised how many "little bulbs" it takes to make a drift. At $6.21 for 50 Muscari armeniacum, a real drift is affordable!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2013
6:51 AM

Post #9613249

Ok, I'll order:
Tahiti (100 or whatever)
Martinette (100 or whatever)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2013
7:14 AM

Post #9613264

Happy, thanks! I've got you down for 100 Tahiti (added 75 to your previous request for 25). 30 still available!

I also put you down for 25 'Martinette' ($6.55) from my box of 75.
If lots of people want this one, we can try "trading up" to a bag of 250, at which point the price for 25 would drop to $6.25 (even in the box of 75, it's a very nice price, less than half the retail price I'm seeing anywhere else).

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9613315

Jill, it doesn't matter with me if we get 90, 100, or 110 grape hyacinths, so feel free to add/subtract as needed.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9613319

ssgardener wrote:Jill, it doesn't matter with me if we get 90, 100, or 110 grape hyacinths, so feel free to add/subtract as needed.

Me, too! :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9613383

Thanks! I figured people would be willing to be flexible, just as with the lily order, and that definitely makes things easier. I just want you to know what's happening with your numbers!

Speaking of which, CatMint, I juggled your Feb. Gold daffs down to 10 bulbs... They're so nice & early, you definitely need a clump, but 3 little clumps (or 1 big one) would do it.

Hey, does anybody want some ALLIUM CHRISTOPHII ? I'm not certain, but I may have managed to double-order that one (I'm glad Chris is combining our 3 orders!). I can drop it, but we might also want to grab another 50 bulbs while the gettin' is good. They are big like "giant" alliums, but they have a looser flower formation, reminding me of fireworks, or a starburst. We also still have 10 Allium schubertii available, if anybody wants to reserve them.

Here's Allium christophii, with my hand for scale:

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9613395

okay, the allium christophii is too beautiful--how could I resist??

10 allium christophii for me
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9613739

Got it, CatMint. :-)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9617720

Just returned EARLY this morning from our 3 week jaunt. I'm flexible, too. If there is a fragrant daffy you need somebody to take, count me in. I TOLD myself I wouldn't add any more. Heehee.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9618203

We've still got 'Tahiti', at $7.25 per 25 bulbs, and 'Geranium' for $6.25 per 25. Both are sweetly fragrant, both from catalog description and from my personal experience -- I'd be ordering 100 if I didn't already have them! (still ordering "a few" LOL). :-)

(and Jan, you don't have either one ordered yet.)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9618530

Pick one and surprise me in October. Just let me know how much okay?

BTW, when we got home from our 3 week trek Felicia's phlox was blooming so prettily.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9618983

Pick one according to the effect you want -- 'Tahiti' is very bold, a big bright "double" daff with multiple petals. 'Geranium' has several small blooms on each stem, a more delicate and "old fashioned" looking flower.

I'm glad "Felicia's Phlox" is doing well for you. I moved a clump next to the back deck -- full full sun, plenty of water this year -- and I think it's 6 feet tall, blooming like mad.

I haven't seen an invoice yet from Chris at ADR; I emailed him this morning, but I bet he's sending a printed copy by snail mail as he's done in the past.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2013
4:03 AM

Post #9619074

'Geranium'--did I miss that one?? Always happy to pick up spare bulbs here, too!! :-)

Critter, I've heard so much about your Felicia's phlox!! And it looks lovely in the photos in your DG article.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2013
4:47 AM

Post #9619101

Okay, I choose Geranium then. A different look. I like old fashioned. Smiling to myself.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9619182

For those that need to see what it looks like--
Here is the Tahiti Daffodil.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9619229

Catmint, should I put you down for 25 'Geranium' also, then? I think that's one where we had a couple boxes of 75 on the spreadsheet, and I bumped it up to a bulk bag of 250 for the price break. I did the same thing with 'Ice Follies', because they are great to plant together (one blooms early, the other toward the end of daff season).

My "Felicia's Phlox" is growing like crazy this year! I've usually just handed it around in spring (when it's short!), but I'll try cutting back a few clumps to pot up for the fall swap. It's always fun to have new folks who don't yet have things I've been passing around for years! I think you'll have plenty of new plants to install in and around your fall bulbs. :-)

'Tahiti' seems to lend itself to being photographed better than 'Geranium'. I'll have to work on getting a better "clump shot" of those sweet little blooms next year!

Thumbnail by critterologist   Thumbnail by critterologist         

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9619306

Jill, May I have another 25 Tahiti if they are still available? Thanks.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9619307

I can bump my Tahiti order to 50 net (if that hasn't happened already), or even 100 if need be.

I can take an additional 100 Ice Follies.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2013 10:46 AM

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9619401

Thanks so much Critter. I'd love 25 of the Geranium and some of your beautiful phlox as well! :-)

This message was edited Aug 2, 2013 5:16 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9619544

Happy, I've got you down for 100 each of Geranium, Ice Follies, and Tahiti... If we get more requests, sounds like you would be OK with just 50 Tahiti and... what? 75 to 100 Geranium? 100 to 200 Ice Follies?

Catbird, you are now down for 50 'Tahiti'. :-)

Jan, are you sure you don't want Ice Follies also, for some earlier bloom where you're putting in the Geranium? just sayin' LOL

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9619635

Heehee, nope, I'm good. When I dug up a couple of beds this spring I dug out a bunch of daffies(NOID) so I have a bunch of them and if I member correctly they bloom early.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9619681

Critter -- yes, exactly.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2013
6:03 AM

Post #9668757

Jill, do you know exactly what time the bulb sort will start? I need to make some other plans for that day and wanted to work around it.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 24, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9668976

I was thinking afternoon-ish... maybe 1 to 4 for the main "work" gathering, with noon to 5 (or whenever) for the "party" portion. Would that work for you, or would later be better?

I was hoping to have updates calculated over the weekend, but I put in some "Lorax" time with regard to my treeline out back, so I'm behind on everything. The boxes that were delivered early never were picked up again, and at this point it's better to just keep them here... I'll check them over before our main shipment is sent out, and if there are any problems, I know Chris will make it right.

Last time I checked, we had about 10% "extra" bulbs remaining. That's a bit much for me to just absorb, so I'll post updated specifics. Please "shop them around" to friends and neighbors (I'm doing the same)... now that it's feeling more fall-ish, I don't think it will be too hard to "sell off" the extras.

If we do end up with significant numbers of extra bulbs, I'll ask people to chip in a little more to help cover them, and we can donate them to the YMCA or some other organization with enthusiastic youths to plant them! I may also purchase some outright to donate (will have to check with Jim).
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2013
4:37 AM

Post #9669630

That's perfect! Only a couple of weeks away!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9672575

I can't stay very long past 4, but I can be there around noon.

Jill, do you need us to bring anything? Snacks? Drinks? Bags?

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9672579

I'll also be able to arrive on the early side but need to leave by 3 or 4.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9672809

I'll have something easy for lunch, maybe pasta, maybe chili... some rolls... Bringing something you'd like to drink sounds like a good idea!

Does anybody else want BIG YELLOW DAFFODILS?

My FIL waited until pretty much the 11th hour to express a preference for them... but I don't want to put in a whole bag of 250 at Thanksgiving in addition to others I have for them. He'd like either Dutch Master (trumpet) or California (large cupped). A bag is $62.50, making them 25 for $6.25. (That's 25 cents per bulb.)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9672824

NOt sure how my day will play out but pretty sure I can get over there for a couple hours, early to mid afternoon sounds fine. I have more big yellow daffs than I know what to do with already lol.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2013
10:00 PM

Post #9672885

No biggie on the yellow daffs I mentioned above... I started adding up how many I've already got to plant this year and trying to remember that my left arm is acting up LOL... Even half that bag might be too many!

I know even with people bringing bags (net bags, paper grocery bags, all good... no plastic please), there will be costs associated with the packing effort. To distribute the costs fairly, how about if everybody chips in $1 plus 1/2 percent of their total? (If you ordered $100 worth of bulbs, that's $1.50.) That will provide about $20 to pay for labels, ink, tape, etc.

If we still have leftover bulbs in a week, they will also be figured into your invoices as a percent of your total. That's the most fair way I can think of to deal with them. Right now, I think our leftovers are about 4.5% of our total ADR purchase. That means that if we don't sell off any of them, then I'll donate them somewhere like the YMCA, and everybody's invoices will include $1 plus 4 percent of your total. (eg, if you ordered $100 worth of bulbs, that's $5). I know I didn't mention this up front, so if you have a problem with it, LMK.

OK, let's update our "still available" list, with prices. If you're not sure how many of something you already have -- just ask. I'll try to get invoices out soon, but meanwhile, just ask. On some (Jetfire, for example), there are extras because we jumped to a bulk bag for big savings.

People in our group have first "dibs" on these, today only. To avoid confusion and double-ordering, let's take turns "shopping them around" to friends & neighbors & coworkers. Who wants to sign up for passing the list around on Monday??

STILL AVAILABLE

1 Amaryllis 'Flamenco Queen' $7.20

10 Allium schubertii, 5 for $4.84

50 Iris reticulata 'Harmony', 25 for $2.89

10 N. 'February Gold', 5 for $2.16

25 N. 'Ice Follies' for $6.25

100 N. 'Jetfire', 25 for $5.25

25 N. 'Las Vegas' JUMBO bulbs, 5 for $4.52

25 N. Martinette, for $6.55, or 5 for $1.33

25 N. Tahiti for $7.25, or 5 for $1.45

Or, if you want an "easy pricing" list to print out for family/friends, here it is:

1 Amaryllis 'Flamenco Queen' $7.20
Stunning red & white blooms, a Philly Flower Show favorite

10 Allium schubertii, 1 for $1
Enormous silvery-purple blooms look like an explosion of stars

50 Iris reticulata 'Harmony', 8 for $1
Miniature early bloomers, blue-violet with yellow throat

25 Muscari 'Dark Eyes', 5 for $1
Dark-centered blooms make it stand out from ordinary grape hyacinths

10 N. 'February Gold', 3 for $1
Super-early bloomer

25 N. 'Ice Follies', 4 for $1
Bicolor maturing to white, an old favorite!

100 N. 'Jetfire', 5 for $1
tiny daffs with wind-swept yellow petals, orange centers

25 N. 'Las Vegas' JUMBO bulbs, $1 each
Bicolor daffs “on steroids,” tall enormous blooms, last 2x long in vase

25 N. Martinette, 3 for $1
Bouquet on every stem, fragrant little yellow daffs with orange centers

25 N. Tahiti, 3 for $1
Remarkable fragrant double daff, like a yellow peony with dashes of orange

This message was edited Sep 29, 2013 11:00 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2013
10:25 PM

Post #9672889

Sounds like we have several people needing to leave by 4, so we need to shoot for getting the packing done by 3:30, giving people time to check their orders before they go.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2013
5:24 AM

Post #9672974

Jill, if they are available I will take

10 - Feb Gold ($4.32)
25-50 - Jet Fire ($5.25 - $ 10.50)
25 - Ice Follies ($6.25)
25 - Martinette ($6.55)
25 - Tahiti ($7.25)
5 - Las Vegas ($4.52)
5 - Allium schubertii ($4.84)
25 - Iris reticulata 'Harmony' ($2.89)

I'd also like 50 - 100 of the Dutch Master if that is the selection for your in-laws. ($12.50 - $25.00)

Thanks, Judy

This message was edited Sep 29, 2013 7:37 AM

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9673006

Thanks so much, Critter--the cost to cover supplies sounds fine to me. I'd also be happy to take a few of the Dutch master bulbs.

5 Allium schubertii, ($4.84)
25 Iris reticulata 'Harmony', ($2.89)
5 - Las Vegas ($4.52)

Judy, if you don't mind sharing the Martinette, I'd be happy to take half. I'll also take 25 of the Dutch Master and 25 of the California for your inlaws (that's $12.50 for both).

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9673150

I've lost track of whether all my original choices made the cut. I suppose that will show on the final spreadsheet- do not need to know now.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9673198

Donner, will you be there? I still have your ajuga waiting for you! If you'll be there, I'll pot it up for you. Here it is:

Thumbnail by CatMint20906

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9673200

whups, posted without checking for updates... got distracted by bath/bedtime routine last night! I'll re-edit the list above. Sally, I'll see what you have coming, too.

Thanks so much for jumping in on the Dutch Master! I'll email Chris & call him first thing in the morning, to make sure they go out with our pallet.

OMG, I have a PALLET of bulbs being delivered! ROFL
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9673291

Man, you guys are just the BEST people to work with on a group buy. I think one of the reasons I don't "do" mail order with these (besides the sheer scope of things) is that this way I'm just dealing with the local folks I've come to know & love!

CatMint, I'm not going to order both types of yellow daffs -- let's go with Dutch Master. That's the closest commercially-available variety replacing the old King Alfreds that my FIL remembers so fondly. Do you want 50 Dutch Master, or 25?

OK... new totals coming up...

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9673306

Catmint you already have 25 I. ret. 'Harmony' ordered... do you want 25 more for a total of 50? (They're little bulbs, easy to plant!) Similarly, your new total of Allium schubertii would now be 15 bulbs. Just checking!

I split the Martinette, 15 for Coleup, 10 for CatMint... Coleup, LMK if that's not cool with you.

Sally, you are currently picking up 10 N. 'Capree Elizabeth' from B&B. Are you sure there's nothing on the list below that "speaks" to you? ;-)

UPDATED AVAILABILITY LIST

1 Amaryllis 'Flamenco'

25 Iris ret. 'Harmony' (found a few more LOL)

50 N. 'Jetfire'

10 N. 'Las Vegas' JUMBO

10 N. 'Tahiti'

50 N. 'Dutch Master' (I took 100 for my FIL, 25 for DH Jim)

... and we're down to $45 worth of leftovers, 2 1/4 % of the total. You guys ROCK!

Let me see if I can find a photo of 'Flamenco' for you... It's got a thin red picotee edge that sets off the vibrant color even more. I love picotee edges. :-) Big bloom, too, with great "substance" (thick petals).

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9673378

So, what do we need to bring with us? You mentioned bags. How many?

Looking forward.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9673409

critterologist wrote:Catmint you already have 25 I. ret. 'Harmony' ordered... do you want 25 more for a total of 50? (They're little bulbs, easy to plant!) Similarly, your new total of Allium schubertii would now be 15 bulbs. Just checking!

I split the Martinette, 15 for Coleup, 10 for CatMint... Coleup, LMK if that's not cool with you.

That sounds great, Critter! 25 more Harmony, new total of 15 Allium. 10 Martinette sounds great!

thanks!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9673492

THanks for the update

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9673548

I have plenty of paper lunch bags (those of you in the lily swap will remember them), but some of the larger quantities of big bulbs would be easier to sort into grocery bags. Bring 'em if you got 'em... if you have a stack of paper grocery bags handy, please throw them into your car. It's not a big deal, because we can use multiple little bags and combine them into a plastic grocery sack if need be (I just don't want to tie any bulb up in plastic).

CatMint, PLMK if you wanted 50 of the Dutch Master yellow daffs... right now, you are down for 25. (We're not ordering 'California'.)

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9673568

Hi Jill. 25 of the dutch master is fine. Thanks!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9673680

OK!

My neighbor Martina has "the list" tonight and will let me know tomorrow what she wants. :-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9673700

My wonderful sweet coworker has just asked if I can work Saturday the 12th for her...
8 ^P

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9673747

Sally, I hope you said no!!! :-o

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9673872

My brother is coming to town from California with wife and my 19yo nephew. All my kids will be here, unless the oldest has to work. So my daughter could take him to Annapolis, or the big mall, or something. I think coming to Jills for the afternoon may be OK but I feel bad if I were to go to work 9 to 5 the day he is with us all day, while the parents go to a wedding.
Love to see him but feeling conflicted and unsure how to handle the days plans.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9673928

well, if it were me I think I'd give my very sincere regrets to the coworker, and I'm sure your nephew would have more fun with young people closer to his age!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9674505

Jill, always happy to 'share and adjust'!

Was hoping Catmint might trade a few Geranium for those Martinettes! I'd be interested in some Actea. too 10 or so?

And if the 25 muscari Dark Eyes are still available I'll take those, too.

Kilo bulbers of the world unite!

Thanks
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9674569

Coleup, you've got the 25 'Dark Eyes'. Are you interested in 15 'Bahama Beach' daffs? I added them to my column but don't really need them (I have the 50 I wanted).

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2013
6:36 PM

Post #9674576

Hi, Coleup. Okay, I'll trade you 'my' Martinette for some of your Geranium! :-)

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9674608

Oops Catmint. Jill split off 10 of the Martinette I requested for you. What I was wondering is if you would split off 10 of your Geranium in return? That way we would both have some of each. No biggy if you want all your Geranium.

Great on the Dark Eyes!

Jill, I will pass on the Bahama Beach . I find early season to be best for my growing conditions with so little sun once the trees leaf out, but maybe someone else will speak up for them.

OMG Jill, a pallet! When will the bulbs arrive?

If Martina wants any of my last minute order I could share with her, too!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2013
3:29 AM

Post #9674758

Coleup, I'm happy to help! Jill, am I still down for 'Geranium'? I just noticed it was not on the list you dmailed me a while back, but this could just have been an oversight.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9674986

Catmint, let me check... I think I have you down for 25 Geranium, changing it to 15 and sliding 10 of them to Coleup. I also have you down for 25 'Ice Follies'. I think both were added after I sent you that summary.

Coleup, FYI, 'Geranium' blooms late in the daffodil season. I like them planted in the same area as 'Ice Follies' for early bloom (or 'Cheerfulness' if you want an early Tazetta class daff... just so there's no confusion, we're not getting Cheerfulness this year).

Umm... unless people would like to add it, that is... they do have 'Yellow Cheerfulness' (fragrant and a good multiplier) in boxes of 50 size 12/14 for $14.50. (It would be $2 less per 50 if we bought 250, but I don't see that happening as an 11th hour add-on)

LMK about 'Yellow Cheerfulness' by tomorrow morning, please. They're shipping our 'Dutch Master' out separately and could throw something else in with it. Any others been nagging at your mind? ;-)

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9675342

thanks, Critter--sounds great! Yes, I think I am also down for some Ice Follies!

The Yellow Cheerfulness is lovely. I'd be happy to take a small number, if others are also interested.

I feel like I'm going to need advice on what to plant in front of what given height and bloom times and so on!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9675406

Jill, I thought I'd written a reply this morning, but it seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, I'd written to ask if Martina had chosen her bulbs. If Tahiti is still available, I'd like to take the remaining 10.

And the remaining Flamenco.

(But only if Martina doesn't want them!)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2013
10:38 PM

Post #9675609

THE BULBS ARE HERE!

Those I can see before unloading the pallet look GREAT, lots of double and triple nose bulbs (eg, they've already started multiplying), nice & plump & firm. I'll be checking over the ones that were delivered early (they weren't picked up again, and after a week or two that became a moot point), but they stayed in the living room with A/C on hot days, should be fine.

Thanks, SSG! I'll check with her.

I didn't hear a resounding chorus of "Oh yes, let's order lots of 'Yellow Cheerfulness'," so we'll skip that one I think. We have to save something for next time, after all! (Let me say now that I'm not doing this every year! LOL)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9675690

Pictures for the record !!!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9675809

Heehee. I do appreciate your efforts on our behalf.

I will need directions and contact info. Please
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9676913

Jan, are you coming to Naptown on your way to or from Jill's?

Happy, would you be amenable to sharing 25 actea daffs with me?

Jill, I'll pass on those Geranium daffs from Catmint. Thanks for the heads up on early/late timing.

Are some of the bulbs already in 'bags of 25'? (Just remembering how l o n g it took me to pick out 50 each of two varieties from the barrels of loose bulk bulbs!) (And those big fat double and triple ones are heavy! lol )

How's that pallet doing? Got a tarp in case it ever rains again? Hope you and Sunshine Girl are having fun anticipating all those lovelies.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9676944

I'd love to know more about the early/late timing thing! Of the daffs we're getting, which one would be considered early and which late? Just need to plan how I'm going to plant them all! :-o
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9676994

Coleup -- I think I am down for 175 Actaea -- if that is the case, I'm happy to transfer 25 from my pile to yours. I do think it is going to be hard for Jill to keep track of all these late changes, though...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9677183

Thanks Happy. So. if you are willin I'll just get 25 actea directly from you at the Sort and pay you directly for them on the 12th. That way Jill won't have to be involved at all!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9677208

Coleup, I'll transfer those 25 Actea, no problem, and I'll un-transfer the Geranium.

Once invoices go out (hopefully Monday or earlier), changes will be harder, but it's probably still easier for me to track things on the master list than to start making deals on the side. :-)

One of the best daffodil info resources I know is Brent & Becky's. They classify daffs as early, mid, or late season (all within the spring season for daffodil blooms... mostly after Crocus and before Bearded Iris). They also have all their daffodils by class, which helps when you're looking for fragrance for example... the double, tazetta, and split-corona daffs are pretty much all quite fragrant, as far as I know... trumpet daffs, not fragrant in my experience.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9677216

Coleup, the majority of our bulbs are in bags of 250, some in boxes of 75 and so forth. We'll just do them one variety at a time (and have 2 or 3 sorting tables in operation)... open bag, look at labels, sort into piles, pack & label each pile (labels say something like "N. Solar Wind / 5 for Critter").

For the most part, we stuck with multiples of 25 when we had bags of 250. That will help. With the huge savings on these wholesale prices, I'm going to assume nobody will get crispy if they are a bulb short... Actually, we'll probably have some "bonus" smaller bulbs in each bag because some of the double nose bulbs separate during shipping. We'll divide up each bag as evenly as we can. :-)

I'll try to get a start on it this week, at least get the non-daffs taken care of... but I've got an issue with my left hand (lymphedema flare), so won't be as quick as I'd like.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9677229

In case the above wasn't clear, we'll be using the labels I've made to package each variety. That way, we'll know right away if there are any problems with bulb counts.

After all the bulbs are repackaged, we will go through and pull everybody's order from the piles.

So you won't be taking your order sheet and making your way from one big bag of loose bulbs to the next... that would invite all kinds of confusion. :-)

The bulbs are all safe in the garage... It's not getting hot in there until pretty late in the day, and I've got mousetraps set. I'm parking on the driveway!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9677256

Sounds like a good plan Jill!

Eek, I forgot about rodent patrol!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9677344

thanks, Critter--I'll take a closer look at the B&B site for info about bloom times!

Coleup--you know I would have been very happy to give you those 'Geraniums'-- I hope you didn't decide against them on my account??
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9677386

Thanks Cat! I just got caught up in bulb mania and forgot my own criteia! Because I have so little sun after the trees leaf out, bulbs, especially late ones don't have a chance of storing up enough energy to bloom the next year. Better that they be where they can repeat at your house, gracing your lovely grounds

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9677400

thanks, Coleup--that's interesting about needing to store up energy to bloom the following year. I hadn't thought about that!

Well, I am looking forward to this! I know I will learn a lot. And hopefully I'll also end up with some pretty daffodils and other flowers next spring! :-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9677403

Cat--

That is why you are not supposed to cut off the foliage from any bulbs,
They have to wither naturally (takes about 6 weeks) and, in the process,
it stores energy in the bulbs for next year's blooms.

Sunshine helps that process, of course. G.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9677718

Thanks, Gita. I noticed that for most of the cultivars it says 'sun, part shade'. But people's experience is the opposite? that they actually need full sun?

I spent some time on B&B's this morning and what a wonderful variety we have of colors, heights, and bloom times! yay!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9677724

Coleup, nope, I'm not planning on Naptown next weekend. Will just go straight to critter's from here.
Looking forward.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2013
5:17 PM

Post #9678096

Jan, do you need a place to stay over Saturday night? My brother & nephew will be here next weekend also (soccer tournament), but that still leaves a back bedroom free (or at least as "free" as a craft/sewing room gets!).

CatMint, glad you're pleased... I was trying to go for variety!

The more sun the better, but with even a few hours (4-6, say) of sunlight a day, the bulbs will "regenerate" for next year. Many areas that you think of as "shady" might be perfect for spring bulbs if they are actually "shaded by deciduous trees." By the time the trees leaf out, the bulb foliage is fading. :-)

When you're planning where all your new pretties will go, think in terms of "sweeps" or "clumps" of color for more impact. If you spread even 100 daffodils all around a garden, they may not have the effect you'd imagine... if you plant them in clumps of 5 to 15 bulbs, or "sweeps" of 25 along a border (but please not lined up straight like soldiers on parade), they'll have a lot more impact.

Especially if you're new to bulbs, look in the DG articles for more information also.

This is from an article on daffodils & companions that I wrote 5 years ago:

In general, bulbs should be planted at a depth equal to 2 to 3 times their diameter. For daffodil bulbs, that generally means digging a hole 4 to 6 inches deep. uneven I like to plant bulbs in clumps. I think clumps of daffodils create a more natural, "naturalized" look than scattered single bulbs. It's also much quicker to plant 100 daffodil bulbs by shoveling out a dozen holes for clumps of bulbs than by digging 100 little individual holes with a bulb planter.

I like to dig holes a foot or so across that can hold 5 or 7 bulbs, placed 4 or 5 inches apart. For a natural, "naturalized" look, avoid straight lines and squared-off groupings of bulbs. Circular clumps will work, but I like the look of "blobular" shapes. A handful of bulb food scattered in the hole will get your new purchases off to a good start. My grandmother, who was an artist, always said that everything looks better placed in odd numbers. So, I plant clumps of 3 or 7 bulbs rather than 2 or 8.

full article here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1415/

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2013
6:20 PM

Post #9678146

love the article, Jill--thanks! Lots of food for thought! :-)

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9678853

Agreed, od numbers look best.

Thank you, dear, but I will need to get back Sat. Night. I have Sunday school class to teach. Appreciate the offer, though.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9679600

Martina was having "option anxiety" just over the short list I gave her... you should see how big her eyes got when she saw all the bulbs in the garage as I was starting to get them organized this afternoon. The smaller boxes have pictures... she didn't see anything she didn't like! ROFL

She does want the last amaryllis and those last 10 'Tahiti' daffs (huge bulbs on those, btw), so I'm moving them back out of your column, SSG

The invoices I'll be sending out (probably Tuesday while Joyanna is in pre-K) may not be very pretty, but hopefully the numbers will agree with what you think you've ordered!

Don't panic when you see a really long list of varieties... I didn't want to delete by hand the ones you didn't order (or try to write a macro for prettier invoicing)... you only have bulbs of a variety if you see a quantity and dollar amount following the name of the bulb!

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9679611

CatMint & Happy, I had put both of you down for 10 white 'Carnegie' oriental hyacinths, which I added when we didn't get 'Fondante'. Much to my surprise, we have a box of 'Fondante' in our order anyway! Do you want 10 of them? (They're the 2-tone pink ones, very pretty)

Got a few things to straighten out with Chris tomorrow, mostly about bulbs we have in double quantity (error in our favor, although I figure it's enough to be worthwhile for them to pick them up for return), also going ot make sur ethe amaryllises are coming this week.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9679641

Jill, I'm actually glad Martina's taking those bulbs. I have so much digging to do!

So excited about Saturday!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9679662

sure, Critter, that sounds great on the Fondant! :-)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9679723

Me too. I'm "whatever" on everything.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9682137

I'm getting excited -- it's almost party day! I'm thinking "Calico Beans" and "Mac & Cheese" -- good cool-weather dishes, especially as the forecast looks chilly & rainy for Saturday. I've got some chips, salsa, etc. I wasn't really thinking about doing a covered dish sort of lunch, but if anybody has a fun snack or addition in mind to bring, that's fine. If you have a "beverage of choice" to bring, that would be good also!

:-)

Happy, thanks so much for coming over last night! We're off to a great start, just a couple more non-daffs to repackage. Terp is stopping in this evening, and I know we'll get a bunch more done. (I'm going to put him in charge of portioning out the crate from B&B!) Both of you, thanks so much for making a special trip up to help sort since you knew you wouldn't make it Saturday. It's going to really help to have a lot of the bags divided out ahead of time.

I did bulbs instead of invoices yesterday... I don't think the numbers have changed much except for additions since I sent out the "preventing sticker shock" totals, but I do want everybody to have a chance to check their order. Actually, some of the numbers have dropped a bit as a few of the daffodil bags were $62.50 on the delivery invoice rather than the $72.50 given on the website -- and I checked with Walter to be sure that would be the final cost, LOL.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9682143

Oh, a discrepancy I discovered yesterday...

We got a box of 150 "regular" Leucojum instead of 100 L. 'Gravity Giant'. They're very close in cost, so I'll make sure they've been substituted with no additional charge. Here's the ADR page for them: [HYPERLINK@www.adrbulbs.com] Note that N. 'Suada' is mentioned as a good companion (meaning they should bloom together).

If you ordered Leucojum and do not want the "regular" kind, please let me know ASAP so I can remove them from your invoice (I'll take them, no worries there).

Assuming you still want them, you'll be getting 50% more bulbs of the "regular" kind... if you ordered 10, there are 15 in your bag, if you ordered 20, there are 30 in your bag, etc.

This message was edited Oct 9, 2013 1:36 PM
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9683180

Jill, I'll bring some chips and dip. Can't wait!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2013
9:32 PM

Post #9683389

Joyanna and I had fun party-shopping... a little cheese here, some apples & grapes there, some spinach for dip, hamburger & bacon for the Calico Beans, and would you believe we had to hunt all over for "regular" macaroni? Loads of fancy shapes but no plain macaroni, and the first person I asked directed me to the mac 'n cheese blue boxes ROFL.

I did veto a Minnie Mouse balloon taller than she is, even though she thought it would be the most perfectest decoration. My nephew's soccer tournament (in Columbia) got canceled (flooded fields, probably), so we won't have half my brother's family here for the weekend after all... so you'd all better arrive hungry, LOL. (The other half of my brother's family has a skating competition in SC.)

A BIG thank you to CatMint... she came over this morning, and you would not believe how she whipped through those bags of daffodils, getting them sorted out. I think we're down to just 6 or 7 varieties left to parcel out, including the 2 crates of jumbo bulbs. :-)

I'll call ADR in the morning and see what's up with our amaryllis bulbs. Cross your fingers that they are on their way here!

I've started Dmailing invoices, so some of you have them, and the rest will go out soon. Please let me know if anything doesn't look right!

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2013
4:06 AM

Post #9683468

Jill, do you have a preference on how you'd like to get paid? Paypal? Should we just bring a check with us? Does the total include the other expenses you talked about earlier, or do we need to add something to the final total?

It sounds like you already got chips and dip! Should I bring something else? Maybe something sweet?

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2013
4:09 AM

Post #9683469

I'll stop by Safeway and pick up some of their corn bread to go with the bean thingy. The corn bread that you can find in their bakery section is pretty good. Easy, peasy. Can't wait for the get together tomorrow. See you soon.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2013
4:18 AM

Post #9683473

The thanks go to YOU Critter for your wonderful job organizing such a massive group buy!!

Looking forward to tomorrow!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2013
5:37 AM

Post #9683513

See you tomorrow!!! I'll try to think of something to bring.

Woot, woot!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9683518

I may (very likely) need a bulb fairy.
I have family visiting and don't think I can skip out to come Saturday.
And all this rain is really making today and tomorrow plans for said family, a big downer! Renaissance Fest in the rain? yuk. Appropriate to the setting, but turns into a mud pit!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9683574

If no one can get the bulbs all the way to sally, if ssg or catmint can get them to the DC area I can bring them to sally -- I periodically make forays to Meadows Farms. Or sally can have a field trip here.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9683581

Sally, I hope to make it to Jill's tomorrow. Van has been loaded since before rains and sits in heading out position with a full tank! My problem will be finding Jill's once I get to Frederick!
I'm sure between Catbird and myself we can get your bulbs sorted and to you!

I love the Renfest grounds but mud it is starting with the parking! Extra family manpower might come in handy. Last Sat was super heavy traffic in bound from 8 am on. Plastic bags inside shoes over socks can keep feet happier while slogging. The tree canopy is great for shelter from 'showers' predicted.. I finish my route about a mile from there so can shoot you an exclusive local conditions weather report before I head home to take off for Jill's. Don't forget the Farmers Market just up the way for some additional shelter and diversion. Homestead also has lots of activities planned as well as Sunrise Farm (old Naval Academy Dairy Farm) if you are in to mazes!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9683607

Sally, we went to the Renaissance Festival two weekends ago. I had never been before and really enjoyed it, weather was great though. One of the things I actually liked the most was the glass blowing demonstration. Not sure how much the rain will hamper your fun, but there is always the eating and people watching LOL.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9683619

we'll see how Nephew feels about it. He's 20 same as my DD so that sounded like a good event- before the deluge! Good tip on the bags. Will I be toting a bag full of newspapers to sit on to watch any shows? Or have they roofed those stages? Where's my supply of Girl scout Situpons?...

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9683628

Hah, girl scout situpons - I made many of those when I was a kid - hadn't heard or thought about them in years. I bet my mother still has them stashed away in her basement LOL None of the stages were under roof, at least none that I recall.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 11, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9683677

Situpons! Yep, use 'em if you have 'em!

SSG, chips & dip are fine, something sweet would be great also. The spinach is going into a roasted red pepper spread (from TJ's) with chevre (goat cream cheese), and I have whole grain bagels to go with it. Anybody arriving a bit early will find themselves pressed into service cutting up bagels or apples. LOL

I'll get a directions blast out asap. We were running in circles for a bit... my mom was in the hospital last night for diagnostics, turns out she has a ruptured disc causing extreme pain. My suitcase is packed, but for the moment they've talked me out of driving up -- in part because I know Mom would fret the whole time I'm on the road "in the hurricane."

I'm going up next weekend regardless, sooner if I'm needed. If I do suddenly need to go, the "party" will just turn into a "pickup," after which everybody can head out to Chef Lin for lunch!

Paying by check is fine and avoids PayPal charges. I did add the $1 + 1/2% (see "additional costs" at the bottom of your invoice).

I didn't calculate PP charges (30 cents + 3%), but please add that on if you pay that way. If you sent an earlier payment via PayPal, you'll see that the "payment" amount on your invoice is the amount you sent minus the PP charge.

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9683696

Jill, I'll bring something sweet, maybe cupcakes.

Sorry to hear about your mom! I can't imagine the pain from a ruptured disc. And I chuckled at the "hurricane." My mom *still* doesn't want me going out in the rain!

Edit: I forgot to add, please let us know if you need to leave earlier or cut the party short!

Sally, I'll be happy to pick up the bulbs if coleup can't make it.

This message was edited Oct 11, 2013 1:57 PM

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9683747

I'm also happy to help bring bulbs back to DC for both Happy and Sally.

I'll bring something sweet to eat.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9683762

I've got a lemon cake ready to bring!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 11, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9683837

Sounds like our dessert selections are all set! Thanks!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9683985

Catmint or ssgardener, y'all can fight over me! Mark and I are fairly lightly scheduled and would enjoy a reason to ramble around your area for change of scenery.

Hope your mom is getting better, Jill, she is a sweetheart.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 11, 2013
9:59 PM

Post #9684024

AMARYLLIS bulbs came from ADR today! They look FANTASTIC! When ADR says "jumbo," they mean JUMBO!

Thanks for the well-wishes for Mom. She's home tonight... she's a sweetheart, but she's a tough cookie, too!

I'm looking forward to seeing everybody tomorrow... noonish, unless you want to be put to work before lunch, also!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9684081

Sally, would love to have you out this way!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2013
5:04 AM

Post #9684091

Safeway Bakery was out of corn bread this morning, so I'll try to think of something else to bring.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9684095

Aspenhill, I'll get the cornbread!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9684162

I'll make some rice, too, in case there's no cornbread. Easy-peasy in the rice cooker.

Aspen, you're bringing your smiling self early to help me prep... nothing else is needed! and thank you!!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2013

Post #9684427

I just got home. That sure was a LOT of bulbs. What a great time!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9684432

yes, thanks to all and especially Critter for planning and hosting this fabulous event! Soooo sad I had to leave early, but timing was perfect as I got to friend's house right on time to pick up my daughter.

Donner, so glad you made it and hope you enjoy your plants!!

Coleup, I'll be picking up the abelia soon from SSG--thanks so much!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9684474

Heya! Do I even have to say I'll be going to bed early tonight? ROFL

I had a wonderful afternoon! Extra thanks to Jan, my souise chef extraordinaire, and to CatMint/Robin, Terp/Paul and Happy/Devon for their efforts earlier in the week. Big thank-you also to our bulb-delivery fairies, especially SSG/Terri, whose car must have been groaning under the weight of all those bulbs!

You all made this effort a pleasure. As I commented to a couple of people, I really did enjoy this undertaking -- in a slightly masochistic way, LOL. Thank you!

Coleup & Terp, check your Dmail for a "loose end" question. :-)

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9684485

Jill, thanks again for doing this and for having us. I enjoyed the tour of the garden too.

I know Judy was behind me when I got to 70S, then my foot got a little heavy. I hope she made it the rest of the way.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2013

Post #9684492

Yep. Robin, I got home in just about an hour! Thanks for your lead. When I left home without a co-pilot I said to myself, If Robiin can jump out of a plane, surely I can find my way to Jill's!! I only have trouble once in Frederick! Can't believe it took me an hour to find Jill's after I got to Frederick. Jim sure is a patient re-director!
Sure would have liked to visit longer but good to catch up.

Hey, thanks so much to those of you who counted out my bulbs! And the food was yummy!

Jill, you are a sweetheart and I so enjoy plant enabling you!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9684494

Got home safely!

Good to see you!! Thankful for the efforts earlier in the week. Was kind of fun!! Thankful, Jill for heading this up. More traffic going home. Nice to meet you, Martine and catmint and of course Miss Joyana.

Sorry for coming so early. Just saw your message for noonish beginning. Heehee. It worked out just fine though.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9684536

Jill, the plant we looked at in your front sidewalk bed with the ferny foliage is 'lutea' Corydalis lutea! Well, half a name is better than none!
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=y840

Aspenhill. those variegated phlox are called 'Triple Play' Here's the link
http://www.plantdelights.com/Phlox-glaberrima-Triple-Play-PP-21329-Triple-Play-Meadow-Phlox/productinfo/8735/

Sorry Happy, but there were only three pots of 'Ladies Treses ' available and one went to Aspenhill.

There are 4 more Abelia 'Kalidascope' at the nursery if any one wants one or another one! There are also some pots of the 'Triple Play' phlox I can overwinter them if need be. Let me know.

Lol, I guess I'm a better plant perveyor than bulb counter!

Sweet dreams all.

Judy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9684555

Thanks for posting to LMK y'all got home safely! I'm delighted that the weather cooperated... yesterday the forecast had been changed from "showers" to "all day rain again" for today, so I'm glad we got clearing skies instead!

Umm, yeah, Coleup, you know I "need" one of those variegated meadow phlox, pretty please. And I'm going to look now for the plant buying thread you mentioned... for heaven's sake, if there's a plant buying thread and I'm not posting, not even to say "oooh, purty," somebody send me a link! LOL
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2013
7:09 PM

Post #9684569

lol ever at your enablement

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1319491/

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9684572

variegated meadow phlox Triple Play--definitely an 'ooh yes' from me!! :-)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9684591

WooHoo Too wet to plant but not to shop!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9684594

LOL--never too wet to shop! :-)
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9684630

Thank you, Jill! I can't imagine the number of hours of work that went into organizing this. And thanks to David for coming last minute to help us sort. :)

Coleup, that abelia is gorgeous!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2013
9:41 PM

Post #9684651

Hey New browser for kindle is much better but making me crazy w auto correcting into words I didn't write

Jan, got book on kindle tonight. Read straight through. Thanks! Hardcover didn't go back w u after all. SO LMK who to give or send it to next!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9684742

Sooo, it did start with an 'L'. Corydalis does have a pretty little yellow flower.

Jill, I KNEW you would make a fast read of it once you got started. Amazing woman Sarah! She is coming to speak the Saturday after Thanksgiving if you are interested. I'll leave the decision up to you as to who reads it next. Or wait til the next get together and send it home with someone.

Thankful the rain held off for us.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9684752

I must have missed this discussion! What book is this?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9684811

The book is The Invisible Girls, about a woman dealing with cancer and its aftermath and another woman from Somalia, struggling to find safety with her 5 daughters. (I'm not giving anything away -- that's pretty much on the dust jacket.)

Jan, I'd have picked it up much sooner, but hardcovers are awkward for me anymore, and I kept passing it up on my "to read" stack. I'm glad seeing you gave me the nudge to look for it on Amazon.. Kindle format had recently dropped in price, so I picked it up and was hooked from the first page! I was sad to come to the last page, but it's one of those stories that doesn't really have a conclusion.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9684854

Could continue the theme with anything by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who was born in Somalia and eventually got an education and involved in politics in Holland.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9684858

Looks like a really good book! And yay for e-readers! I love that I can adjust the font on mine.

Critter, I forgot to bring your car mug up--I accidentally left it in the dishwasher! Oh, well, at least it's clean. ;-) We'll figure out a way to get it to you...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9684910

For those who were wondering, we purchased & sorted a grand total of 5565 bulbs!

That's 5 and a half Kilobulbs!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9685096

Wow - I knew it was a lot, but it really puts it in perspective with the actual total!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9685152

Catmint, the book is written by a former student of mine. Sarah got breast cancer at the age of 27. I, also, will not divulge any more of the story. Most of the proceeds from the book are going in to a college fund for the girls that she befriended. She has a remarkable story! Anyway, she s coming east for Thanksgiving with her family so I got her to speak at our church. If you or anyone is interested in hearing her in person, just let me know and I'll save you a ticket. $12. The cost will help defray her airfare and the lunch that will follow.

That's a lot of bulbs!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9685175

I feel like I should subtract 10 from that total somehow so it could be 5555. ;-)

Jan, that would be so cool! Not sure yet what our family schedule will allow, but it's on my radar.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9685185

Cool beans!!!

5555 sounds impressive!!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2013
6:30 PM

Post #9685189

Jan--that is very cool. I'd love to go though it's difficult for me to schedule things that require a lot of driving because I have my daughter's activities to work around. But I'll definitely put that on my list to read!

Critter, 5555 bulbs sounds good to me. ;-)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9685503

Totally understand about being a chauffeur for kids' activities.

Need to get myself in gear and get to plantin.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2013
7:37 AM

Post #9685519

thanks, Jan! yes, I need to get myself in gear also. The rain has finally stopped--time to start thinking about getting all these bulbs in the ground!! :-0

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9685711

Picked up my gaffs from Catmint today- boy they're beefy. and what great weather to get some things planted!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9686097

Glad you're pleased!

Another box of analysis came today... Our order must have a case of. Murphy-it is. Glad the trouble has been doubled rather than missing bulbs! Anybody wishing they had ordered, LMK before they go back LOL

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2013
3:16 AM

Post #9686165

ROFL - a box of analysis - boy do I need THAT HA HA HA... Freudian slip???

Anyway, I held off on ordering any because I have a dozen or so from previous years, but when I saw them on Saturday, I wish I had ordered a few. I'm interested. I need to go back through the threads to see the list to choose from. I'll let you know sometime today.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2013
4:52 AM

Post #9686213

Mark ordered binoculars for my birthday- one pair paid for and billed, Two in box. Who's in charge of packing? Sounds pretty fast and loose!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9686432

ROFL! I was typing that from the Kindle... really need to figure out how to turn off the annoying auto-correct, because it seldom knows what word I mean to be typing!

Anyway, yes, it's another box of amaryllis bulbs. I emailed and told them, not just because I'm an honest person but also (like the 6 extra bulk bags of daffs) because I didn't want to owe them $$$ if/when they figured it out! Not sure anybody would figure out the binoculars, Sally, maybe they're BOGO :-)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9688176

Oh my goodness, my ears just perked up... Extra Bags of Daffs??? Ummm... may I please inquire as to whether or not they are still sitting around hoping for a home? =) As I was cleaning up the Hostas at work today I was thinking to myself "Gosh, if I were to make room for ANY new thing in any of my beds, Daffs would be the ONLY thing"... sadly we are not going to be selling bulbs at all at work this year, so I won't be able to bring any home. Any way we could discuss some arrangements for them, please, or have they all been spoken for?

Sorry to interrupt the conversation but... it's all your fault! < =P heeheeheee JUST KIDDING!!! =)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9688240

Critter -- what ever did happen with the bulbs that were sent in error (amaryllis, daffs)? I might buy some too if that would help...

This message was edited Oct 17, 2013 5:59 PM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9688264

I might be able to swing a few as well for Christmas presents. :)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9688405

Sorry, Speedie... they double-sent 6 varieties (in 250 bulb bulk bags), and I just sent the bags back (they paid shipping).

Happy, I can't believe you're angling for more bulbs! LOL You're going to be digging until Easter! The daffs are a done deal, and actually I think they needed most of them back regardless since they're sold out on those varieties.

I haven't heard back yet about the amaryllis box (10 more Misty, 10 more Flamenco Queen)... at least, I hadn't heard anything this morning, but I'll check the email on my laptop before I go to bed.

I'll help organize another bulb buy... but next time the bulbs will be delivered to somebody else's garage! :-)

We will have to think about doing an amaryllis buy next year... ADR and maybe also get in on BloomingBulb's pre-season sale... (we've split bags from BB before)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2013
9:42 PM

Post #9688444

If you DEFINITELY want more 'Misty' or 'Flamenco Queen' amaryllis bulbs, please post to let me know how many of each. I got an email saying they would have Fed Ex pick up tomorrow; I replied to say Monday would work better for me and also asked if we had the option to purchase them. (If they're sold out, they may need these bubs back regardless.)

Also, BloomingBulb just posted 40% off sale for their amaryllises. They're sold out of a few but still have most available. Discounts increase by ordering in multiples of 5, 10, etc. For example, one bulb of 'Trentino' (a sweet mini) is on sale at $7.95 plus shipping. Buy 5, and that drops to $6.05 . Buy 10, and it drops again to $5.11 per bulb. Shipping is 13% for orders over $150, so figure around 75 cents per bulb for that. Some varieties are less, some are more.

There are definitely some I'm interested in (, but I'm also willing to wait until next year... and maybe we can get them to throw in free shipping or a better discount if we order early and/or reach a certain total.

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2013
4:27 AM

Post #9688544

I'd love to do this again next year, and I hope someone offers their driveway!

I forgot to thank all of you who helped me pack my car. As my husband was helping me get Happy's bulbs out of my car, he saw the large mesh bags of daffodil bulbs and said, "Why did Devon get so many potatoes?"

Yeah Devon, what are you gonna do with all those potatoes?! LOL

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9688545

Jill, I'll take 1 to 3 of the 'Misty'. I think they are a smaller variety and I like donner's idea of planting 3 of them together in a single round pot. So, I'd prefer 3 but if there is interest from the others I'd be happy with 1.

Also, if you organize another group bulb buy for next fall, they can be delivered to my garage! The organization of the buy seems beyond me, but I'd be ok with the sorting and get together part of it LOL.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2013
4:57 AM

Post #9688559

Jill, that's ok, but thank you for answering! =)

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2013

Post #9688764

Critter -- I am over-bulbed indeed!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9688783

All planted!! Woohoo!!!!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9688794

Mine are still in the car!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2013
10:45 AM

Post #9688805

Half of mine are planted. Just the iris ret and alliums left for the ground and a couple of tulips for containers. Happy, you are going to be planting bulbs til Christmas LOL - I know because I've actually done it before. I ordered 1000+ daffodils at a time for 3 years in a row... Sadly, those daffodils are still alive and growing, but rarely bloom anymore. They don't seem to need to be divided, so the problem is that they either need fertilizer, are too deep under woodland leaves accumulation, or just too shady for them pout pout.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9688807

I have about 25% of mine planted, the rest are still in the trunk. Should I go ahead and plant the amaryllis in a pot now?
Will be planting bulbs after work on Sat and as long as it takes on Sunday, lol. I'm sure my sister needs some bulbs, I may have to share (fewer for me to plant).
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9689019

When I've made big bulb purchases before, I've planted bulbs over the course of several months -- literally into February. They still did fine. I'm going to save some of the bulbs in the fridge to fill in empty spots in the spring, since I didn't get around to marking those spots this spring. Alan Armitage says that works, and if it works for him, that's good enough for me.

AspenHill, I don't know why your daffs would produce foliage but no blooms. I can say that I've worked really hard to only plant bulbs with a good reputation for perennializing; maybe that has helped. Mine that have not fared well have slowly disappeared -- so no foliage. (For example, Avalanche, which has a great reputation, has done poorly here -- and I've replanted it several times. Of Avalanche, Brent & Becky say: "Some daffodils that will perennialize even in areas with uncertain winters are 'St Keverne,' 'Carlton,' 'Avalanche,' and selections from the jonquilla and tazetta divisions of daffodils." http://www.southernliving.com/home-garden/gardens/tips-daffodil-care-00400000010377/ Not my experience. Carlton has done fabulously for me; Avalanche is awful.)

I would have thought you'd get enough sun in the woodland before the trees leaf out. Mine bloom even if fairly heavy shade (of course it depends on the type of bulb). I suppose the leaf cover could be thick enough to suppress the new growth, but I'm surprised by that.

We do fertilize once a year or so, but I don't think that's it.

So I'm puzzled.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9689040

It is pretty disappointing that the daffodil trail I envisioned is not measuring up to what I thought it would be. I've got to try to experiment with a few things to see if I can figure out what the problem is. Does anyone know what the best time to fertilize is, how often, and with which fertilizer? I've heard bone meal, but isn't there also a hollytone for bulbs?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2013

Post #9689077

I transfered mine from my van to a car, does that count?

Interesting discussion on 'perennializing' bulbs and varieties. I've said before that the earlier bloomers do best for me because I feel they get more sun time to store energy before the trees leaf out and shade ensues.

Feeding them definitely makes a difference. If theyv'e not been fed for a while, it may take 2 years of feeding to get bulbs back up to blooming speed. If you dig up a clump of 'just foliage/no flowers' my guess would be bulbs smaller than those you planted. Amer Daff Society recs are feed three times per year...early fall, when leaves emerge, and at bloom with a 5 10 10 fertilizes, (Too much 'nitogen' means lots of foliage and few flowers so more 'phosperous')

One year I spent hours selecting 50 double or triple nosed bulbs of one variety. That Spring they were spectacular but next spring was mostly foliage while those babies grew.

Final thought, when I plant bulbs in certain parts of my yard, I might as well be planting them in containers as even amended, the clay in the unamended hole just stops those bulbs from expanding much. I've read each bulb needs 4-6 inches of its own space (water/light/food) to grow well. Tree roots can rob bulbs of their due,too.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2013 7:14 PM

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9689078

Jan, you are amazing!! Wish I could claim to have all of mine planted! I'm hoping to make some progress this weekend.

Aspen, I got something called 'bulbtone' recently at a nursery. It says to sprinkle a little in with the bulbs when you plant and it's supposed to help. Of course, my fear is that next spring I'll look out on a sea of soil with only one or two of the bulbs sprouting up, the rest all rotted in place... :-o

On the positive side, I planted some fall crocus in early September. I was beginning to despair, certain I had planted them at the wrong depth and managed to kill them all, and then just the other day I noticed numerous tiny shoots sprouting up through the light mulch. Yay! They are alive after all!! :-D

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9689084

Thanks for your insights on this issue, Coleup! I do have a spot picked out for them that I hope will provide enough sun, especially before the neighbor's trees leaf out.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9689086

Here is a link that also lists 'high temperatures above 90 as a reason for few blooms!

http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2012/04/first-aid-for-non-blooming-daffodils/

Do more northerly gardeners really have more fun?

Bulbtone is good.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9689098

Hehehe, I think I am only finished because I didn't get as many bulbs as everyone else. I only got 235. And the grape hyacinths are little, so many went into same hole.

I am hoping for 'happy' accidents next spring. I have a drawing around somewhere that is supposed to show me where things are planted, but, I hit several areas that already had some bulbs. I am sooo NOT organized that way. Shoot, not ANY way!! I did stand in my kitchen and look out the widows to try to envision where I wanted to put the newbie bulbs so they would really pop from that vantage point.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9689119

LOL, Jan--you can tell we really went to town as a group when 235 bulbs is a relatively small amount!! :-D

I have also been wondering how I will remember where I've put everything!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9689171

I dug a bunch more undersized, need-to-be separated bulbs out of the front bed as we put some new daffs in (50 N. Ice Follies and 50 N. Geranium). Some of the little daff bulbs went to Martina for her back yard, some will go out back in my yard... they'll bloom in a year or two, but probably not much next spring.

I planted out half of my hyacinths along the driveway and am planning to force the other 20 bulbs.

Martina's son helped dig holes in the peppermint along the other side of the driveway, and we put in N. 'Dutch Master' and N. 'Acteae' there.

Chris at ADR said, sure, go ahead and see if I can sell off the amaryllis bulbs, please. Aspen, you're down for 3 'Misty', 5 remaining. Terp, how many 'Flamenco Queen' would you like? Anybody else??

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9689204

As you all know--often I will offer a lot of daff bulbs at a Swap.
These are bulbs that have not bloomed for about 2 years and i have dug up.
As far as I know--that is a sign that they are too crowded.

Usually-- when planting bulbs--don't they say to plant them 6" apart???
That would cover a few years of the bulbs multiplying and still blooming
presentably.
I admit--that I am very lax at fertilizing anything...one of my shortcomings...

Cat--The "TONES" fertilizers are great! They are organic and non-burning.
Espoma makes the "Tones"...There are a lot of varieties--and I use them all.

Rose Tone
Plant Tone
Bulb Tone
Holly Tone...etc.

Buying the bigger bags (20lbs(?) ) is most economic. But--unless you have a
well stocked garden center--all you can find is the smaller bags--8lbs. I think.
These can cost around $9-$12 depending on where you buy them, but these will be
more available.

When you come to the Seed Swap in Frederick next spring--we all usually go to
a nearby Nursery. Jill has connections with there--and we are able to get 10%
off some things. They are VERY well stocked in supplies. Not so much in plants...

They DO carry all the "Tones"--so you can stock up. Also many other hard to find
products. Like Systemic Granules.

The only "Tone" my HD carries in the big bags is "Holy Tone"...These can run around
$22 or so. That is the average price of these 20lb bags. Some of the smaller bags
are also available.

YES! "Tones" fertilizers are great! Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2013
8:48 PM

Post #9689219

We fertilize bulbs when they just start to shoot up their foliage in the spring. It makes a noticeable difference.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9689352

thanks for the info on bulbtone, Gita! That's good to know it doesn't burn or anything. You're right about the bag size--I ended up with two of the smaller bags because that's all they had! I had also gotten a large bag of hollytone earlier in the season but have not used much of it. I look forward to getting some rosetone next spring when we go up to Frederick! :-)

Critter, sounds like you are making good progress with your bulbs! I need to get out there and plant some myself this morning.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9689383

Yay for Martina's son helping you, critter!!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9689399

Cat,
If you have any evergreens, Azaleas. Rhodo, Camellias or any other
acid-loving plants, now is the time to apply Holy Tone to them.
Repeat again in early spring. That is usually all established evergreens need.

If you want to turn a pink Hydrangea to blue--feed it acid type fertilizers and wait.
It takes a couple years..Holy Tone alone will not do it...use any other acid sources.
Lets see...Pine needle mulch--Coffee Grinds--Tea bags--Cottonseed meal, etc.

G.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2013
6:18 AM

Post #9689407

thanks, Gita. I have a ton of azaleas and one rhodo. Would applying the fertilizer now cause them to sprout growth just as winter is coming?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9689413

cat--wait until they all go dormant. Then apply the Holy Tone.
Just sprinkle a couple hand-fulls around the root area.

We are still in so-so warm temperatures. Maybe late November?
G.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9689425

okay, thanks, Gita!! :-)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9689433

I'll just pipe in here real quick that Aluminum Sulfate is a great soil acidifier as well, but like Gita said with the other stuff she listed, it takes some time.

I have read (and heard) that stuff like Peat and Pine needles tend to lose some of their acidity in the decomposition process. Thoughts on this, anyone?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9689461

From what I've read, mulching with pine straw, throwing coffee grounds around, etc won't have much impact on soil pH. I think our clay is just such a "buffer" that any attempt to shift pH isn't likely to have much effect. I'll try the aluminum sulfate, though...

Mostly, I sprinkle "Ironite" under plants that like acid soil... greens up yellowing leaves... somebody explained to me that the "real" problem is that acid-loving plants can't access the iron in more neutral or alkaline soils, so they don't so much need soil acidifier, what they need is iron in a form they can take up. Works here, anyway.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9689533

Jill,

I could do two Flamenco, two Mitsy.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9689537

OK, I think that's 5 'Flamenco' and 2 'Misty' left. :-)

Just FYI, 'Misty' is a miniature amaryllis variety, so the bulbs aren't "big as your head," but IMO they're a very good size for the variety... I'd say probably 18/20, and although I haven't grown 'Misty' before I'd guess you'll get at least 2 bloom stalks from them.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9689714

Misty - Meyer hybrid registered by Berbee Beheer 2004. Misty' begs close inspection. Smallish semi-trumpet form flowers of cream with green throat are heavily brushed with shades of rose. The filaments are a deeper color, nearly coral. 'Misty' is here for the sophisticate and the snob (or anyone taking issue with bright colors); it bears little resemblance to the big and bold amaryllises associated with holiday mass marketing. The nodding presentation is almost mournful, and certainly delicate. Emaryllis has a soft spot for 'Misty.' Subtle charm.

Flamenco - Yet another spectacular Penning introduction from crosses with a picotee type. The family resemblance to 'Charisma,' 'Showmaster,' and 'Temptation' is clear.

Taken from http://www.emaryllis.com/photo-library/single-flowered-a-h/

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9689778

So Paul, does this mean you are a sophisticated snob? ;) HAAHAAHAAA!!!!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9689815

FYI, $7.50 each for 'Misty' and $7.25 each for 'Flamenco Queen'.

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9701308

Did we ever come to a resolution for the extra bulbs?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9701374

Paul, I've got 2 'Misty' and 2 'Flamenco Queen' earmarked for you. I think there are 3 more 'FQ' available beyond that, but I don't "need" to sell them... if they don't sell, I'll give them as gifts.

Let me know if you still want 2 of each (or more of the FQ), or none... I can hold them until you have occasion to come up this way; they seem to be staying pretty dormant for me in the basement. :-)

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2013
3:27 AM

Post #9701440

One of my bulbs has begun to sprout tiny stems pushing upward. Nothing is happening yet with the other 2. Not sure what that means... Is there a way to tell if the bulbs are still okay? I wonder if they are getting enough sun?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9701512

2 each is great. Thank you.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9701716

CatMint, some amaryllis bulbs take longer to "wake up" than others... also, the one not sprouting yet might still be very busy growing roots. Warmth (especially bottom heat) will speed up sprouting; cooler temps will slow them down. That helps you if you're trying to "time" blooms for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Did you have a chance to take a look at the "amaryllis 101" articles I wrote?

Paul, I'll save 2 each for you.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2013
2:50 AM

Post #9702248

thanks, Critter--yes, I definitely read the articles but info seems to fall out of my brain with surprising speed these days :-o ...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9702283

ssshhhhlllupppp, there goes another one…. no wait that was MY brain…Yes the growing of plants teaches patience.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 5, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9702457

LOL, hope there's not something in the mid-atlantic water... I'm having the same problem!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9702766

I think it has contaminated my water supply also, whatever it is. UGH!!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2013
2:21 AM

Post #9703060

#1: This is my brain

#2: This is my brain after learning something new.

It's terribibble.

Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean         

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2013
2:57 AM

Post #9703076

LOL Speedie--that is definitely my brain, too!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2013
1:49 PM

Post #9703492

Join the Club of the "Forgetful".

Speedie--
You will not be admitted---you are too young for this membership.
You just have a gazillion things going through your hear every minute,
No wonder you cannot remember the insignificant stuff...

I have an excuse...called Old Age. G.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2013

Post #9703547

Hah! we're not accepting that excuse.

"What grows, never grows old."

~Noah benShea

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9703550

I don't know, I feel pretty old some days, Critter! ;-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9703649

On the contrary---I do not "feel old"--do not "think old"--do not "act old"---do not"look
all that old"--(so I am told)...BUT--I AM old--and the body knows it...
I have too many pains all over...Of course--I ignore most of them.

One more time--repeat after me :

"If I don't care---it does not matter"...I think I can...I think I can...
G.

Here--have a chuckle!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2014
5:28 AM

Post #9744447

Did anyone have any luck with Misty? My two bulbs fizzled, and ssg said hers did as well. I think as a group we ordered two bags of 10 bulbs each at 74.50 a bag -- so that is a lot of money if none of ours thrived. We might want to contact ADR for a refund.

I think Catmint ordered one, Critter one, Donner three, two for me, Jan five, Pixie five. That's only 17 bulbs, so 3 are not accounted for. I thought I recalled Terp complaining that his didn't do anything either and ssg bought at least one (though I didn't spot Terp or ssg on my copy of the spreadsheet). Jan and Pixie have the biggest investment...

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2014
5:32 AM

Post #9744451

I believe Terp had at least one Misty bloom.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2014
5:44 AM

Post #9744461

i hesitate to admit that mine aren't started... bur I'll keep track

please let me know if your
misty bulbs have bloomed or put up leaves or zip zilch nada
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2014
5:45 AM

Post #9744463

I'm pretty sure I got a Misty. The bulb was much smaller than the others, right? My spreadsheet says I got just 1. The small bulb is the only one that hasn't put on any green growth at all.

Terp said he had only one dud, but I don't know which one that was.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906

(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2014
6:02 AM

Post #9744471

My misty bulb put up two tiny leaves with the minimal rooting the bulb started with, but roots have never grown beyond that, and the two tiny leaves have never grown larger. I think it's pretty well dead. :-(
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2014
6:11 AM

Post #9744476

I had two. One bloomed the other nothing. The bloomer just has one stem.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2014
6:42 AM

Post #9744490

I had three. I planted all three in the same pot. It took a while, but two of the three now have bloom stalks - one close to bloom, the other at least a week away. The third bulb is just now showing a little green shoot starting out of the bulb. Bottom line, all three of mine are growing - just very slow at at much different rates.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2014

Post #9744584

I think I've head that Misty can be slow to start, but I'll let Chris know there might be an issue with them. Please keep reporting back, those who got them.

And as long as the bulb isn't squishy or crunchy-empty, there's hope. Keep only slightly damp (so it doesn't rot) and give it extra warmth, bottom heat if possible.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2014
12:55 PM

Post #9744732

Ok, thanks, and I'll keep an eye on them. They are right behind my kitchen sink so I peer at them many times a day!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2014
1:18 PM

Post #9744745

Good idea Jill!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2014
4:49 PM

Post #9744875

Will keep an eye out!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America