AuthorContent
jickmagger
Central Luzon
Philippines
(Zone 11)

July 22, 2013
10:14 PM

Post #9609055

Leaves are gnarled and turning yellow. The flowers are scarce and small. The other vinca plant on the right seems healthy though. They all receive the same amount of water/sunlight. What will I do? =(

Thumbnail by jickmagger   Thumbnail by jickmagger
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2013
4:27 AM

Post #9609159

Sometimes Vinca can suffer from bacterial diseases such as botrytis. Those plants stress easily when transplanted into a garden and the yellowing leaves are a common symptom. However, if the weather is warm and dry, the plants can often grow and hardly show any symptoms. Rainy and cool weather produces more symptoms.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 23, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9609287

How long ago did you plant these Vinca's, I have often had the same problems here in UK, all in the same area, first check the soil to see if there is any difference in PH, as there can be from one yard to the next, also same with water, is there rubble under the soil of the poor looking one, this could be a prob, has there been over feed / under fed, there are many things that could be the reason even just a plant that really wont grow well no matter what you do, not that I'm saying that is the case here, the best thing to do is make a list of general troubles that COULD be with the plant and tick them off as you examine your lists, correcting if you can as you go along,
Hope the problem becomes evident soon as believe me, I know what frustration cane take over while your seeking answers.
Hopefully someone who has had your problem as seen in picture can identify what you need right away.
Best of luck. WeeNel.
jickmagger
Central Luzon
Philippines
(Zone 11)

July 23, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9609928

this is the first of 3 plants transplanted in the same area a couple of months ago. i transplanted the 2nd and third plant at the same time, maybe 3 weeks after the first plant. only the first plant developed symptoms. it's the monsoon season here so it's been raining a lot though, i'll try to look for rubble under this particular plant maybe this causes poor water drainage. I just hope it's not a disease as this one has the best flower color among the three. Thanks Cville_Gardener & WeeNel for the help. =)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2013
2:23 AM

Post #9610254

I've had the yellowing come and go like that with wet weather. Could you dig that one and put it in a pot until monsoon season is over? They will thrive in containers. Or moving it to a spot with better drainage might do the trick. If it is diseased, getting it away from the other plants would be advisable anyway.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jickmagger
Central Luzon
Philippines
(Zone 11)

July 24, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9611100

thanks Cville, i did put it back in a container yesterday, and pruned it a little. i've heard of this plant's resiliency so im hoping it recovers soon.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2013
11:41 PM

Post #9611216

I do too. :)
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 10, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9626854

I have problems with Vinca I sowed from seeds I colectected from last year.They took a long time to sprout in doors I put them under grow light and I got them climatized when the temp was good but I ended up with one plant that I put in my container.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America