-
AuthorContent
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9610884

I did a stupid thing a few months ago , i had an indoor fish tank with guppies in it over the winter i brought countless guppy fry to my local aquarium store and they graciously took them off my hands . One Saturday I was left with the choice of braving the traffic on my day off or letting a few guppies loose in my out door pond . I was told that guppies would not live long without a heater so I felt bad about it but I figured my gold fish and shebunkins would maybe like a little variety in their diet : ( well guess what they lived and thrived ! I have a ton of guppies and no one seems to be eating them not even senior frog
what should I do ? will they make it through the new england winter? who will eat them ?
I hope someone will take pity on my soul and advise
laura
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9610915

Laura

Guppies are tropical fish. They won't survive your winter. I know that John in Florida had guppies last year and I believe he lost them when the night temps started to cool. I believe his zone is warmer than the 6a you have listed.

John - if you are here - please chime in.

Carolyn
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9611008

Merry Mary has guppies but not sure they are outside but if we got a cold snap don't think they would live even here. Zone 9

Laura any chance you could give them to neighborhood kids? If not your outside pond will just become a birth control project.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9611863

Yeah, your Guppies are doomed there. I'd call a tropical fish store and offer them to come and get them for free if they get them all.
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9611888

thanks I will try and get them together and see if the pet store wants some
"free range guppys"
lol
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 25, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9611925

Cute, I like that name..
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9612859

True, they won't last the fall... Mine don't make it if the temps fall below 50 at night for a few nights in a row. They breed all summer, but I have to buy new ones each spring.
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9613690

thanks MerryMary, I think they are having a great time in my pond and they are beautiful colors ( way more vibrant than indoor guppies ) the pond is 4 1/2feet deep and goldfish survive the winter but I am sure you are right they won't survive the winter . do you mind my asking why you get them each spring ? I must admit I like that they have live babies , we had guppies when I was a kid so I guess have a fondness for them
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9613750

They really sound nice, you oughta keep them, Laura. It would be some work to catch them in about Sept. and put them back out in May or so. May seems a bit early I know but with a pond that's 4 and a half feet deep I think it'd be okay. That's 5 months of Guppies! If you really like them you should have them, you don't have to live in FL. or HI. to have a tropical pond!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9614408

I get them because I like them in my shallow areas, in between the lily leaves. A lot of the irredecent aqua blue colors shimmer when the sun hits them. I have a small kiddy aquarium, I got from Walmart, and bring in a handful of the prettiest ones each fall, and put them back out when the weather stays consistently warm in the spring. The rest don't make it. I also have the black and white mollies (and they breed like crazy too) and they live happily amongst the shallow water plants too. Several are 4 inches big. I never knew they got that big until I let them live in my pond. They all keep the still water in the shallow areas clear of mosquito larvae, etc.
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9614493

thanks shortleaf , I do enjoy them and I know merry they are huge out side If I bring them in in the winter they will proceed to have babies and more babies and more babies unless you separate them . they love to hang around the water lilies and in and out of the rocks . I also have baby gold fish in there and 6 of my original 11 gold fish, a heron got the others along with 2- 8 inch shebunkins my son gave me for my birthday . the goldfish all survived the winter but the heron just picked them right out I let the water hyacinth over grow so they are well hidden and I haven't had any more trouble with t he heron so far ,jinx
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2013
2:49 PM

Post #9614530

hers one of my goldfish and a pic of our pond the guppies were hard to get a good shot of

Thumbnail by laurawege   Thumbnail by laurawege         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 28, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9614825

My heavens you have a bumper crop of what looks like hyacinths. I actually managed to get a yellow water lily for the first time in years. And cut back from 9 tubs to three just to keep the pads down so I could see my fish. You have a lovely pond right next to your deck. Sweet.
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2013
4:17 AM

Post #9614977

I do have a lot of water hyacinth , I let them over grow so the herons would leave my fish alone ( it seems to be working ) after I lost 2- 8 inch shebunkins and 5 big gold fish. I pulled the water lilys out to dead head them and when I did all the fish came and hung out where I could see them
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 29, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9615184

Neat. I love it when the whole herd (all 10 lol) comes over to greet me. Course they are just looking for food, but still ...
elfenqueen
East Tawas, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9615195

I too, doubt their ability to thrive in winter... take a few out to keep indoors till next year...lol but put only the males in your pond, this may help. However, some fish have been known to be able to change sexes to continue the species. Guppies are known to be great mosquito larvae eaters, even when living in a puddle.

local paper?
"free range guppies" $1.00 per scoop

do like that name!
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9615730

thanks elfenqueen , I have both males and females in there now and they are thriving . I don't feed any of my fish but they are growing like crazy and I have not had a mosquito problem so I guess Its ok , obreron , I love it too when you make movement in the water and they come over curiously checking out what ever your doing . it makes you much more appreciative of their beings and it makes me smile to think they are curious
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9616401

I love it when the fish come to the side of the pond when I walk by - they always have reminded me of puppies all happy and tail wagging, coming to greet me when I enter a room.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 30, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9616509

Yeah, me too. I have lots of babies too. Did I mention Laura took about then home with some pond water to try to keep them alive over the winter. I only ever had one make it three years then wasn't there this spring. He was about 2" long and definitely a gold fish.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2013
11:02 PM

Post #9617999

There is very little chance that the guppies can be caught. I tried catching some fish in my pond and the bottom line is... well, I had to drain it to the bottom to catch the little brats lol They are clever and fast and they hide. You might try a minnow trap baited w some bread or crackers.
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2013
3:55 AM

Post #9618067

Carolyn , they are like puppies ! Oberon , the pond water is a good idea , did you keep them in an aquarium ? I wonder if the ones you tried to overwinter needed an air stone ? frillylily, I am quite sure the goldfish will make it through the winter but its those guppies I might have to try and catch . I might see if I can find a minnow trap I love a good experiment !
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9618195

I love mine, no matter how many...I know they won't survive winter anyway, without bringing a few indoors.

Thumbnail by MerryMary   Thumbnail by MerryMary         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9618218

Oh MM - I just love them. I wish I could have some in my pond outside.
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9618231

wow merry they are big ! I ahve a few bigones too its hard to get a good picture of them . I had an idea the other day I went to my compost pile with a white bowl I stopped at the pond on the way back to the house and as I sometimes do I scooped a bowl of water to water a plant near by then I put the bowl under water on a shelf ,the fish curious as they are were all over it and the white bowl was a great background for a picture I am going to try it with a dinner plate and take some pics
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9618287

Rarely, but every now and then a guppie will breed with a molly. I didn't believe it but had to look it up after I saw a huge marble molly with a blue tail. I was sad to lose it during the winter, it was really a sight!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9620593

M Mary,
Those white ones with the black spots are really different and cute. Those must be the ones that came out of intigrated breeding. I have a large acquarium out back of my garden shed. If I had a large filter for it I'd babysit them for you for the winter. It's awful big to bring into house but if I could find a place I'd set it up. You are welcomed to borrow it if you'd ilke. That way you'd have them to put back outside for the summer.
My big gold?? Blondie is still turning white. Seems like new white scales come on her every day. She is 5 yrs. old. She will still be pretty.
Jeff noticed it right away.
Happy ponding all, Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2013
4:49 AM

Post #9620845

I have one 23 koi, that was white with black and red markings. Like a sanke. It's probably 5 years old. Lately, it's been losing all markings and turning plain white. Healthy as a horse, just turning white. I looked it up, and it said sometimes it's just in their DNA and there's nothing you can do about it.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9622297

Got a couple of sanke but they are only about a foot. Still young. Red and black so far. I guess they are like women who want to dye their hair and want a color change once in a while. LOL
I don't care as long as they stay healthy.
Well time to find something for dinner and then I go out and water certain plants that droop if they don't get water everyday.
I am so excited Wed. I am going to Uamatilla to visit a new gardening friend. Tracksinsand. Sounds like she has a gazillion plants. I am trying to find something to take with me for her garden. I need more plants like the plague but theres always room for 1 more. She has a flowering almond I can have and Sidney said they have the most beautiful fragrance. I've still got a brug waiting for Sidney to come by and get. Brugs grow like weeds in my yard.

Happy ponding and gardening all.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America