AuthorContent

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9611475

I have a fairly black thumb when it comes to dealing with potted plants. A friend gave me a seeded geranium last month. Almost a miracle, I got it into a bigger pot and it survived. It recently just began to put forth a new set of blossoms.

The only thing I know about geraniums is some ladies from church have heaps of them that they take them outdoors in the spring and bring inside when it gets too cold. I do not know if this is that type or not. My flowers are a paler pink.

I've had issues in the past where I'd set plants outside in the warm weather, but when I brought them in they were all buggy. I do not remember the varieties, though.

I want to try with this thing because it was a gift. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much for your help.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9611756

Chilly, insects don't know the difference between outdoor perennials and indoor plants. If you have insects on your plants, treat them before you bring them in.

If you would like to know if the plant can be left outdoors, post a photo.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 25, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9611835

Unless you have Perennial Geraniums (which I doubt) these can be left outdoors all year round and winter should not cause trouble IF they are left in a sheltered place and given a covering of leafmould to protect from winter icey weather but you would do this AFTER the foliage has died down.

However I think you are talking about the bedding (tender) type of geraniums and these will NOT survive outside over winter, these are kept indoors and watered just enough to prevent them dying rather than the watering they receive when growing throughout summer.
I think the information you have been given is the opposite, out side from spring, inside from late summer till spring weather warms up enough and there are no icy or cold winds forecast as that can set the plants back a bit or kill them off.
Forgot to say you should up the amount of water you give early spring to help waken up the plants and help them put on foliage, don't feed them till you see real good growth as this will indicate that the plants are getting themselves ready for their summer show of nice flowers and a half doze of feed should boost their energy for this new season.
Good luck. WeeNel.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9612281

I still have the tag for this, the Latin name is Pelargonium x hortorum.

Thank you so much for the info. We'll see how this goes. It looks nice now. :)
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9612339

This is not rocket science. Lots of info in a compact spot.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55253/

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9612357

thanks
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9612385

I have had these types of geraniums off and on through out the years. There are several ways you can bring them in and overwinter them. You can bring them in their pots - yes, they would have to be either put into a room with no other plants, or checked for insects. Your geraniums would then require watering and care to keep them alive through the winter.

You can also take cuttings from the stems of your geraniums and pot them up. Geraniums root well with this method and this maybe easier than lifting an entire plant if it is in the ground.

There is another method, and I really like this method. In the fall, when it is time to think about bringing things in for the winter, lift your geraniums, shake the soil from the plants and place them upside down in paperbags. Then place your paperbags with your geraniums in a cool cellar. The geraniums will shrivel some, and should be checked once a month or so while they are in storage i your cellar. Plant them in pots around March.

I have tried these methods for overwintering my geraniums. I prefer the latter method as I have lost few with this method and in the fall when I am lifting things, this method seems to work best for me.

Here is a link that should help further explain. http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2004/9-17-2004/geraniums.html

Happy Gardening!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 27, 2013
10:44 AM

Post #9613398

Chillybean, If your into Rocket Science just stick with us all on the site, if your not into Rocket Science, still stick with us on the site, there is always someone here who may be able to help give an answer to any questions you feel you need answers to.
Good Luck and Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

September 8, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9654526

I planted geraniums many years ago, but this year I found out they are great companions for roses so I planted a few . They did very well and grew so beautiful I have to show my garden buddies.

Thumbnail by cytf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 10, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9655924

These are a lovely colour and look healthy too, I dont grow any of these in the ground anymore as we have to lift them and than repot them, either allow them to rest or take loads of cuttings to enjoy the new plants next year, either way, that is a lot of work when you have so many, so now I just use then in larger containers along with some other tender plants, (tender in our parts) things like bedding plants Fuchsias, French Marigolds, and loads of trailers, it's easier to bring the whole containers inside than lift individual plants, the end results are the same, I just prune, remove damage, lift any not worth keeping and allow them to go into a winter retirement till spring the following year.
I start the following spring by rechecking all the pots / plants, start giving a bit more water as they were just kept alive in no more over winter, then once they give out new shoots, still in my greenhouse, I will give a half dose liquid feed, that starts the real growing season again.
IF I have to remove any plants I just plant in place after top dressing with fresh compost, 3-4 years later I start the whole cycle off again with new plants either fresh bought or from cutting off the older ones IF I'm happy they are good strong growing plants, BUT some years theres a disaster, loose most of the plants IF were cought by an early winter frost at night and my heads told me the plants will be fine, YIP even us oldies can get it wrong just like all the new folks asking us for help LOL.
Good luck and have a great gardening end with loads of new ideas for next spring too.
Kindest Regards. WeeNel.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

September 10, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9656563

Hi WeeNel, I will try for the first time to make cuttings from my geraniums. Usually I sow my marigold, zinnias and gomphrena seeds indoors and I winter sow snapdragons . I was very successful with the shorter type snapdragons this year, and I grew them in hanging baskets and containers.Snapdragons , savlia and Torenia reseed very well for me too.Here is a picture of my reseeded Torenia. I was trying to catch a bee doing his work in the sanpdragons. I appreciate your comments because you are the master gardener to me .All the best and keep on gardening.

Thumbnail by cytf   Thumbnail by cytf   Thumbnail by cytf   Thumbnail by cytf   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 12, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9658168

Hi cytf, thanks for your kind comments, I'm so glad that any advice or help I offer is encouraging to other's and all I want out of that is to help any new to gardening to know there is genuine help out there given from experience and gained from practice, Gardening gets a reputation of being expensive, too complicated, only for people who understand either science or Biology and honestly, nothing could be further from the truth.
All you need is a healthy apatite for outdoors, some determination to learn and a patch of ground that you can nourish, nurture and plant either food, flowers or tree's so long as your enjoying what you do and care for it. Most gardeners want is a little bit of ground to call there own and we are very lucky to have that even for a while.

I surely am not a a master Gardener LOL, never thought about becoming one and honestly dont need to, IF anyone has the time, will and need, to gain such a title, I have the greatest respect for them so long as they speak plane English when telling new beginner gardeners answers to their questions, there's nothing worse than being made to feel silly because you don't understand someone's double Dutch, ha, ha, ha, I think you have gained a lot more knowledge than you take credit for and your understanding of others helps them feel more at home on the site also.

Happy gardening and Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9660445

The Pelargonium x hortorum plants, at least in my zone, need some winter protection, but not to much. The real geraniums I don;t know about, as I don't own any, so I will have to search PlantFiles for that one.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America