-
AuthorContent
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9612223

I how bought this at a garden show and have lost the tag.
It is a huge bulb and these leaves are really big, what is it? I have it on my covered porch but it may need more light, the leaves got a little torn up from high winds.

Oh yeah it might not be tropical but I sure haven't seen anything like this growing around here.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9612404

I think it might be a Crinum Lily, Joyce. It looks pretty healthy to me, but if you want it to bloom, a bit of morning sun will help.

Also you should plan on keeping it indoors, or at least in a cool, but non-freezing basement for the winter. They are not hardy in your zone.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2013
10:49 AM

Post #9612508

Oh dyzzypyxxy, I am sure you are right because now I remember getting into a discussion with a guy selling those at our flower lawn and garden show in April and he said they were hardy in zone 5, we discussed it because I was sure they were not (I am lucky enough to have a solar room so I wasn't so worried about it) but hated that he was telling people they were. I found it in the closet a while back but couldn't remember what it was.

The bulb is huge and I don't even know if it is planted correctly or not. Since I couldn't remember what it was I decided to plant it kind of like an ee. Mystery solved.

I surely do want it to bloom. It get east sun for a few hours but think I will move it slowly toward more sunlight so I don't burn it. I am sooo excited. I have zone envy of you all in Florida you can grow the most wonderful plants.

Thank you for your help.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9612903

Joyce, Crinums are widely used landscape plants in large public gardens here. They get to be enormous - the size of a small car is no exaggeration. So, just thinking you might want to save your pennies for a LOT bigger pot for next year! They do love lots of water, too. It will do great in your solar room over the winter.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 26, 2013
8:33 PM

Post #9613001

A very similar looking plant is the Spider Lily, Hymenocallis sp. It has glossier leaves than Crinum but otherwise looks virtually identical. There's a bigger difference in the flowers.

Many Crinums are clumping plants so they can spread out quite a bit. There are hundreds of species of them. The smallest are about the size of a spring onion, the biggest are quite large and, as dyzzypyxxy mentions, their clumps can get to the size of a small car. But if you have it in a pot it would be easy enough to split them up to one or three bulbs to a pot. Much easier to handle. They don't all multiply all that fast so it shouldn't be too daunting a job all the time.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2013
10:19 PM

Post #9613046

Opps! Heck darn a small car huh? Rofl. Wow. I am excited to watch it grow. Do they go dormant at all? So I will have lots to share...

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9613477

They stop blooming in winter here, but for the most part don't lose their leaves unless it gets cold for a prolonged period. If you take it into your solar room and keep the night temps above 50 or so, I'd think it will stay nice looking.

As Tropic says, it could be one of the smaller varieties, but judging from the size of that bulb, I think it's a big one.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9613486

The bulb is Hugh so I am pretty sure it is going to be big one.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 27, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9613868

That bulb does look like it's from a large species. C. pedunculatum looks like that, it grows into huge tall clumps and isn't deciduous. Species that come from climates with a strong dry season usually go dormant.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2013
8:56 PM

Post #9613933

Here's a link to a picture in Plant Files of a huge Crinum clump. Not sure yours is the same one as this but it could be. For reference, the fence behind it is probably at least 6ft. tall. The flowers are nicely perfumed, too btw.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/155353/
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2013
9:19 PM

Post #9613956

well I am sure it is the large one because mine is already about 3 1/2 ft tall now. I am pretty sure I have the smaller version but it hasn't bloomed yet either.

How fun this will be.

Thank you all for your help you all have been so much help. It will be fun to watch it grow and bloom. Can't wait to smell it.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9621607

Found the pic of the bulb when I first bought it.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9622130

Whoa, that's a honkin big bulb!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9622232

Yeap I figure it is the large one, if not the large one would scare me.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2014
8:38 PM

Post #9797440

bump... Joyce, did it bloom? My queen emma is a monster now.. Going to move her to a huge tub out back this spring.. have yet to see her bloom, tho.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2014
6:04 AM

Post #9797601

yeap it did bloom for me. it is huge, wish I could stick it outside...LOL
I have a pic but don't know where I stored it, will have to look and see if I can find it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America