Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: Growing Carrots indoors?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9612546

I have read several articles online about how easy it can be to grow carrots indoors in deep containers, as long as they are given the brightest window you can spare them. Anyone else ever tried this? And if so, what are your experiences with it. The containers i plan on growing them in is 8In. deep, 6In. wide, and 1.5FT long.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9612625

I can't imagine ever wanting to grow carrots indoors- they are so cold hardy I keep them outside nearly all year round.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9612628

If I took-up my floor boards, I could grow them inside and in the ground. LOL

Our floors are cool in the summer and cold in the winter - no insulation under there.

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9612648

i know, i sound like a total nut, lol. We have solid clay soil here, and i have tried to get carrots to grow in it, they end up SO short and stunted, and the roots end up a total mess--and that is, if the critters dont get them all first.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9612906

jmc, go with raised beds. I have terrific crops of carrots in my 2 raised pyramids- The 2 top tiers are for carrots and the bottom tier is usually leaf lettuce. That's why they are empty now for the summer. I have mature carrots and a new crop that will be about 6 more weeks until I start pulling.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9612909

Well, the photos will not load- I'll try again.
It appears there is a problem uploading photos- what else is going to get messed up? I'll try later.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9613149

I would say raised beds or containers outdoors, and I would select a deeper container unless it's a very small. Unless you have a very well lit enclosed porch or greenhouse-type window, I doubt carrots indoors will get enough sun to produce a good root, although the tops will probably do fine.

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2013
5:27 AM

Post #9613177

I grow my carrots in raised beds outdoors and have had alot of success. I start mine around March 15th and plant a new crop every 6-8 weeks all the way untill September 1 (4-5 crops). I harvest carrots up until the middle of December. Carrots are very hardy. They could last a little longer with the right mulch or row cover. They could last all winter sort of just sitting there if you could keep the ground from freezing and were able to pull them out! Of course they wouldnt be gaining any size at those temps.

If raised beds are not an option you could amend the hard clay soil with a ton of sand and dig in organic matter and some straw making sure its all well mixed in down to a depth of at least 10".

A third option is to grow short or finger carrots or the round type.

I also doubt that growing good carrots indoors would work unless you had very deep pots (12-14") and a very high light area. Also carrots need constant moisture or they will crack.

But let us know how it works for you!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9613244

Whoopie! The photos loaded today. On the left is my new crop of carrots, and a mature batch on the right. I use the top 2 tiers for carrots, and usually leaf lettuce at the bottom

Thumbnail by JoParrott   Thumbnail by JoParrott         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 27, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9613250

While I haven't tried growing carrots indoors, I do grow a Burpee organic rainbow variety in a big pot outdoors due to crummy clay-based soil and limited space. Not a big, traditional carrot but fun to eat anyway.

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9613356

i had never thought about a raised bed. And that is certainly an ingenious way to do yours Jo. have never seen one made like that.

I was actually planning on growing "paris market" (short, round and fat) in my indoor containers, i guess i should have mentioned that earlier :)

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9613359

I grew carrots in a raised bed a few years ago. I think they were called "short and sweet".

Because carrots are inexpensive, and organic ones are easy to find these days, I don't bother growing them any more.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America