Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Eggplant leaves losing their "green"

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Megamunchers
Sugar Land, TX

July 28, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9614217

Hello everyone,

I havr three eggplant shrubs in my vegetable patch. All were doing quite well until recently I noticed the leaves on one were losing their "green", getting white spots, till the entire leaf starts to look pale and white. I cannot see any signs of fungi, either on or underneath the leaves. There is a small army of ants tha I picked but can these cause the leaves to lose their chlorophyll?

Thanks in advance for any pointers that you can give.

Megamunchers

Thumbnail by Megamunchers
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9616408

Hi, Megamunchers, Welcome to Dave's Garden!

I'm growing veggies in SE Houston, near Hobby Airport, and not very far from you.

Yellowing leaves can signify several things. Two that come to mind are:

1. Overwatering
2. Lack of Nutrients

Eggplants are HUNGRY HIPPOS and WATER HOGS.

I suspect overwatering is NOT your problem. Have you fed your plants? I would suggest using a balanced fertilizer (all three numbers the same, between 13 and 16, i.e., 13-13-13, 14-14-14, etc.) to feed them. If you use a granular feed (really inexpensive at local feed stores), I'd go with a sprinkle of 1 ounce per plant, watered in, once a week for the rest of the season.

Sprinkle the fert at least 4" away from the plant roots, so you don't burn them.

P.S. When did you plant your eggplants, and what variety are they?

Are you planning a fall/winter garden? If you're interested in growing broccoli, cauliflowers, cabbages, mustard & collard greens, kale, carrots, beets, turnips, garlic and onions, I can help you along. Just let me know.

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ClearlakeTx
Houston, TX

July 30, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9616927

Hi Gymgirl,
Thanks, I have a similar issue with my egg plants ( earthboxes), so I assumed that I need not re fertilize, apparently I do. I have Pingtung, Bianca and 2 Indian varieties (1 white, 1 purple redish, both goose egg sized).
We are propably pretty close:-)

I will be growing a winter garden. Maybe beets, defintely several differt kale,broccoli,pakchoy, mustards. Inever tried collards and do not know how to use them.my carrots were not really good last season, but I did not thin enough I guess.

Sibylle

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2013
9:08 PM

Post #9616992

Hey, Sibylle!
Glad to make your acquaintance, too.

Yep, I have nine patented Earthboxes, and yes, you do still need to feed those Hippos!

Don't you just love the fall/winter season? So cool, very few bugs, and the veggies just love the cold weather.

Have you grown onions and garlic? Not hard at all.

I'll be starting my seeds in the next few weeks. I started on August 6th last year, but, I'm gonna wait a few more weeks this season. The plants really need the cool weather, and we really need a couple hard freezes to get the bug population under control!

Let's all keep in touch and compare notes on our fall/winter garden progress. We have a groups of growers in the 8a-9b zones who grow together over on the Vegetable Gardens forum. Pretty soon we'll start a new thread on where we are with out Fall/Winter gardens. I'll come look for ya'll over here, and you guys are invited to make the leap over to the other thread as we begin the next season.

Linda
Megamunchers
Sugar Land, TX

July 31, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9617232

Hi Gymgirl,

Many thanks for the input. You may have me going in the right direction. I have not fertilized for some time now. This may be exactly what I need.

Now here is a real simple question (pl. bear, this is a "Beginners" Forum). How would you recommend I get the fertilizer you mention in the Houston area? Is it as straightforward as going to a local nursery or Home Depot and picking a bagged amount?

This is my very first year at growing anything, and I'd LOVE to take a stab at nursing something over the winter period. I am running out of working space in the backyard. Do these plants need full sun, or can I plant them in a more shady recess?

Thanks again

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9617303

Megamunchers wrote:
Q: How would you recommend I get the fertilizer you mention in the Houston area? Is it as straightforward as going to a local nursery or Home Depot and picking a bagged amount?

A: Yes, it is! My "go-to" place for fertilizers is Southwest Fertilizers on Bissonnet @ Hillcroft. They seem to have the best prices in town for all things fertilizer. If you live on the north side, try Wabash Antiques and Feed Store on Washington Ave and T.C. Jester. They also have a huge selection, and prices are comparable to SW.

Megamunchers wrote:This is my very first year at growing anything, and I'd LOVE to take a stab at nursing something over the winter period. I am running out of working space in the backyard.

Q: Do these plants need full sun, or can I plant them in a more shady recess?

A: A more shady recess will accommodate these plants very well! Last season I grew my broccoli and cauliflowers in a raised bed (RB) along the northwest fence. This area gets full on sun in the summertime from 1p-~6p. But, in the winter, it gets more bright light, than full on sun in that timeframe. Consequently, the area stays much cooler than other parts of my yard. And the "cole crops" (broccoli, cauliflowers, mustards & collards, kale, cabbages, spinach) LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the cool/cold weather.

I tell people that the broccs and caulis start playing beach volleyball when the temps outside drop down to around 45! And don't get me started if that 45 happens to be a sunny day! They break out the Miller Lite, LOL!

Linda
Jim41
Delhi, LA

July 31, 2013
9:43 PM

Post #9617977

If you have ants on your egg plants, chances are they are herding aphids. Wash them down with soapy water. Be sure and get under the leaves.

My problem is leaf miner and colorado potato bug.

Gymgirl, send me your address. I have the Georgia Blue Stem Collard seeds ready to mail.

Thanks, Jim

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America