Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Cubanelle pepper problem

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jinxxycat1
East Pittsburgh, PA

July 28, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9614398

Some trouble with Cubanelle peppers. I have them in a raised bed. I purchased my plants from a local nursery at the end of their season (late start my seedlings didnt do well so i gave in) They were tall but sparse leaves. The roots were nice and white but crowded, loosened them slightly before planting. They flowered, two or three flowers a plant, but I read to pinch the early flowers to encourage more plant growth before producing fruit. We have had SO MUCH RAIN. They went downhill, the leaves were curled slightly and yellowing slightly. We did have a slight reprieve in rain, and in the last week it's been much cooler, and they have started to get new leaves at the bottom of the plants, on one plant I see buds forming in the lower new growth. I have used manure tea with Epsom salts, and jobes organic fertilizer. Not sure if its just time to yank them and think about doing a small fall planting of something to make use of the space, or to just let them go and see if they do anything now. Thank you.

Thumbnail by jinxxycat1   Thumbnail by jinxxycat1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ClearlakeTx
Houston, TX

July 29, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9615835

Is it hot enough for your peppers. My hot peppers only took of, when we got in the high 80s, better high 90s.
jinxxycat1
East Pittsburgh, PA

July 30, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9616193

It's cooled off a bit the last few weeks, and that's when they started getting new growth? It had been in the 90s here.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America