Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: Wanting to clean rocks....wouldn't you?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 6, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
elfenqueen
East Tawas, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9614473

Sometimes I worry when moving things into my pond.
A friend once brought me a plant----then my fish almost died, wasn't
moving, so I reached in ... picked him up~ and found a blood sucker!
My friend later told me he had picked it out of a lake.

So here it is... I brought home some lake rocks from a friends beach and think it would be in my best interest to clean them first. Things I worry about~ to name a few, are pond snail eggs, all those little "did that speck of sand just move" critters, zebra mussels etc.

Have you done this... cleaned rocks? What do I do? Boiling water? Bleach soak? Bake them?
Or do you just go with the flow and say water to water life will spread.
I can think of things I really don't want introduced.

Anyone experienced on this issue?
...itching to set the rocks :(
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9614495

Elfie

All my rocks came from a friend of mine that lives on one of the hills. I don't think any of the rocks came from her pond. When we brought home the rocks from her house, we would give them a good hard blast with the hardest setting on the nozzle on the hose.

I would think if you left the rocks out to bake in the sun after they have had a hard blast of water, the sun would bake out any of the living nasties. Once they have baked on one side for a day or two, I would flip them to bake a couple more days.

Others may have some ideas that would help.
elfenqueen
East Tawas, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9615177

Thanks for responding Carolyn,

My first water feature had rocks both found and purchased, all were from land digs. LOL ~ of course, when I moved, I brought ALL those with me Whew! I cared for them pretty much as you described.

But as I said-- I do worry. When I think of the force of the waves crashing upon them, and those little critters and eggs making it through just fine...hmm. I 'm just not certain it would work as well. I know from aquarium care and years of experience, that snail eggs can dry out and they can still return as~~ instant snails just add water.

The rocks are currently in the sun~~LOL, but really we are not getting much sun right now in Michigan. And these are smaller rocks...fitting 2 to 4 in a hand. Lots of turning there! Lots of scrubbing too- if I do.

Have even thought of roasting in a fire pit ...
currently the only living things that will go in the pond will be water lilies, grandchildren and myself...oh, and the surrounding wildlife.

Thanks again for your input.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9615348

Elfie

I had aquariums for years when I was growing up. Your 'instant snails' conjures up images of tubifex dried worms that I used to feed my fish.

I was going to mention bleach as a way of cleaning your rocks, but I would be hesitant as the bleach could be absorbed into the rocks.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9616867

I was all rocks even those that come from a local company with bleach and then pressure washer. They accumulate a white dust on them and I don't want that to go into pond.
I'm probably paranoid from loosing fish so I try to be careful. I don't soak them in bleach but just a dip on a large tarp and then the pressure washer very thoroughly.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9617703

Trying to avoid all forms of life will never work. You'll always have a few little leeches, snails, etc...even IF you clean your rocks. They come in with rocks, plants, fish (eating it one place, you buying it, and it pooping it into your pond) , and sometimes just finding their way naturally with frogs and toads. Unless they are a nuisance, I wouldn't worry about it.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2013
4:30 AM

Post #9619091

Went outside this morning at 4AM and guess what was on the side of my house--4 very large CTF. When I shined the flashlight on them they all went up inside of metal fascia on roof line. Made me so mad.
Will have to stay on the lookout for them and try to get rid of them.
All fish are doing good right now in both ponds. Must be because they are eating their cherrios. LOL
Happy ponding all.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America