Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Garlic when is it ready to eat

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 9, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AnnFran
East Greenbush, NY

July 30, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9616300

How long does it take to dry my Garlic. ? I have it laying on a rack in the garage.
How to store?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9616319

I wait until the tops are dry and crispy, then cut off the tops. I keep the garlic in the dark, in a basket that lets air to continuously flow.

I keep the very largest heads of garlic in a separate place so I can set the individual cloves the next fall.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9616409

Bee,
Can you believe it's almost time to start planting garlic again, give or take a couple months, LOL???!

Linda
SwallowFeather
Tiskilwa, IL

July 30, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9616513

I'm not sure just how long it has to dry, but quite awhile (at least a month or two?), and it should be stored in a pretty dry place even after that.

On the other hand, I do know that you actually can eat it right away. When eaten right away like that it's known as "green garlic" and is a little juicier, but it's still basically garlic. The drying process is something the garlic needs for storage, in order to keep all winter--it doesn't need that in order to be ready to eat.

(That's part of why I don't know just how long to dry it, in spite of having worked on a farm that grows it--we usually just saved some back to eat & sell green, and as for the storage garlic, we laid it & the onions in the loft to dry in July when they were ready and then forgot about them till October when the pace of work slowed down, and then went up there and boxed up the garlic for the winter. So, I know *that* works...)
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9618156

Can it get too dry? I hung mine in a back "mud" room to dry for like 2 weeks. It's fairly warm back there-about 80 degrees. I'm afraid I waited too long to brush off the dirt and cut the tops off, etc. Some of it looks kind of yellow and shriveled up.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9618468

A few years ago a local garlic grower made a presentation to our herb club. He told us to air dry them in a cool, dry place for a month. So an 80 degree venue probably would dry some of them up. I know I hung some of mine in the kitchen when I first started and they did dry up. Now I use my cellar where it is cooler and they have lasted much longer.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9618520

How about a dark closet?
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9618561

Only concern with the closet is the lack of air circulation but I guess if it's big and reasonably cool it should work well.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2013
4:36 AM

Post #9619096

Gymgirl - I think hanging garlic in a closet would make the walls smell of garlic.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9619136

Hooray! I used some of what I thought was dried up, and it's fine!! It's now under the kitchen sink (outside wall) in a mesh laundry bag with some I harvested earlier. It seems to be "happy" there!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America