Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

bachelor buttons

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I want to share my beautiful flowers with you . I got some dried flowers from a garden and sowed them indoors in winter and they have given me the most beautiful blooms. I have lots of seeds to share.

Thumbnail by cytf
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Those are really pretty, but I don't think they are Bachelor Buttons… I think what you have is Gomphrena…Globe Amaranth.

yes you are correct, but as a kid I grew up in the Caribbean and we called them bachelor buttons , we had the white ones too

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

How interesting! It's funny how some 'common' names for plants and flowers are so different, in different parts of the country, and around the world! They are beautiful. Love that vivid color! a real eye catcher!

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

It is amazing the different local names given over the years to plants, we call them here as soldiers buttons, it's always helpful if possible we can use the Genus name as well as the Common names, the Latin / genus names are used the world over for recognising the whole of that particular plant family as there could be many different cultivars from breeding the species. but to be fare, most of us novice gardeners don't know all the Latin names and why would we Ha, ha, ha.

Happy gardening to all.
WeeNel.

sonora, IA

pretty!

Hillsborough, NC

Wow ~ the colors on the blooms are beautiful. I'm going to look up the specifics on this plant and see if I have a good spot for them. Thanks for sharing!

HI Decolores, This plant like full sun, you will enjoy them in the garden .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.