Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: hibiscus

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 21, Views: 209
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 1, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9618314

My 2 perennial hibiscus did very well this year, I have them about three years, I gave them lots of compost in spring and they really bloomed for me

Thumbnail by cytf   Thumbnail by cytf
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 1, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9618654

These are quite beautiful cytf, I've tried on many occasions to get these plants to grow and I get as far as plenty of greenery BUT none of those gorgeous flowers, I think it's because we have such a short summer season and some years not too many bright days at all. Everywhere I go I get transfixed when I come across those wonderful Hibiscus flowers and they look so fragile when you note the papery thin flowers, OH dear, I'm turning green with envy, ha, ha, ha.
Well done you.
Best Regards, WeeNel.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 2, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9619616

Thank you WeeNel I wish you were close to get a cutting from me. I am so delighted because as a kid always I had the flower in my Caribbean home
Cythera
London
United Kingdom

September 1, 2013
9:04 PM

Post #9648146

Hi
I live in the United kingdom and my hibiscus are small but they flowered I i live in the south though!
I use banana peels and eggshells for blooming.
Take care

Cythera

Thumbnail by Cythera
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Deebie
Orangeburg, SC

September 2, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9648278

WeeNel, it looks like Cythera's Hibiscus flowers are actually Hibiscus syriacus, Althea Rose of Sharon. You may have more success growing those. Have you tried them? The flowers look very similar but but flower colors are limited.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

September 2, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9648398

Hi Cythera,they are beautuful, that's new with using banana peel and eggshells. I gave mine a few handfuls of homemade compost and this was the best year blooming for me.good luck
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 2, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9648833

CYTHERA, never gave them a try, but maybe next spring will look out from them, I've still got 2-3 Hibiscus growing out in the garden and eventually around July, I get foliage (IF the weather is warm)
but never had a flower or even a tiny little bud, the foliage begins to die off again around end of September as the nights cool and the sun lowers in the sky,
Thanks everyone for their hints and tips, it's great to know people are interested in what others would love to grow and what is NOT ever going to be a success, everyone has dreams and mine WAS to grow Hibiscus in all their shades and glorious flowers, first took a shine to them while visiting Hawaii,
I could have sat staring at those beautiful blooms for hours, so I'll dream on LOL.
Best regards, WeeNel.
Cythera
London
United Kingdom

September 6, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9652924

Hi thanks for your comments, yes WEENEL it's great to know that people from other parts of the world are interested in what others do, I am happy i found this community :)

CYTF if you are interested in that banana peel and egg shells fertilizer please look here:

http://www.mygardeninjapan.com/2010/11/using-banana-peels-as-fertilizer-for.html

I am a bit resistent now to add miracle gro etc, one time my plants stopped flowering had massive green foliage but the excess of nitrogen stopped the flowering process, it's a problem i have with some plants that i am still trying to resolve, I was advised to use Dolomite lime but i have no clue how to use it in already planted stuff, any ideas to lower nitrogen in soil??

Any case have a good weekend!!!!

cytf
Staten Island, NY

September 7, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9653338

Cythera ,About the rice water , there are recent reports of arsenic in rice ,do you think the percentage of arsenic will be harmful to us putting it in the soil?.Reasearch it and let me know I know we all love to recycle as much as we could.
Cythera
London
United Kingdom

September 7, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9653764

Cytf I dont use rice water at all due to this. I messed up my plants once with Miracle Gro as fertilizer and I haven't found any thing better that works for flower blooming than this shake for them so I use normal water
The banana peels , if you dry them out and put is as part of your compost work great. Even to have the peels around the plant works for flowering. It's fun to experiment ...
cytf
Staten Island, NY

September 8, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9654187

Ok Cythera , great .I am a great homemade compost user and sometimes the 10 -10-10 granular fertilizer
keanl
Orland Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9661199

I have some perennial hibiscus that are HUGE. I started them from seed. From the end of June through the end of August they were covered in blooms. They took a 2 week break from blooming to create another mass of buds which started blooming this weekend. I hit them with Miracle Gro three times this summer and I water them twice a day. I have never seen plants that like SO much water. I could leave the hose trickling on them all day. This has been my best seed starting success story.
keanl
Orland Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9661241

Pics of new buds

Thumbnail by keanl   Thumbnail by keanl         

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 16, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9661571

I always love to hear the good side of growing by the success of peoples techniques and I love to learn the delight they experience when things go well, makes a complete change from the poor folks who only appear to have disasters, so a lesson well learned that keep at it and it will all come good, well mostly good LOL.
Keanl, I love those beautiful plants you show and am just so envious of these lovely new buds, I will continue to dream on and keep trying. Well done to you and keep it us.

Not sure IF you've heard about a seaweed extract that you can get from Garden suppliers and it's all natural stuff, nothing added, it's a liquid feed and you dont use much, I make it up in watering can to look like weak tea just coloured in no more, my pot's, tub's and other tender stuff thrive on this feed and I begin with half strength for the first watering, there after full strength from April to end of August, by then it's winter showing a slow awakening, the nights get too cool for tender plants so it's then time to start preparing them for winter sleep, take any cuttings from the soft woody side shoots and also prune out any damaged brown or eaten parts before they are taken into greenhouse for winter protection.

We are in storm weather already all over the West coast so need to get wrapped up and go find anything that's blown off to pastures new LOL.

Take good care and enjoy the fruits of your hard earned work.
Best Regards.
WeeNel.

cytf
Staten Island, NY

September 16, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9661633

HI Keanl lovely red bloom ,I have the white and the pink they are a joy to have in the garden.
morsoruce
Beverly Hills, CA

September 25, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9669769

Keanl, I love those beautiful plants you show and am just so envious of these lovely new buds, I will continue to dream on and keep trying. Well done to you and keep it us.

Read more: http://spybubbleproz.com/spybubble-pro-review/

avazquez

avazquez
sonora, IA

September 25, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9670212

those are lovely

Thumbnail by avazquez
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 30, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9674283

OH avazquez, that cut flower has a little sad face on it, but wow !!!!! the colours are just breathtaking,.
green fingers have I, NOOOOO, just green with envy at your flowers, your weather and your photograph, keep up the good work.
Best Regards. WeeNel.
Scarborshannon
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2013
9:26 PM

Post #9707955

I love hibiscus, I have 6 variations of this plant all are lovely. I live in Las Vegas and they grow perfectly with light from the window.

Thumbnail by Scarborshannon   Thumbnail by Scarborshannon   Thumbnail by Scarborshannon   Thumbnail by Scarborshannon   Thumbnail by Scarborshannon

cytf
Staten Island, NY

November 14, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9709201

Hi WeeNel, just remember to check with you if that storm affected you . I called my cousin in Bucks and she told me they were fine.Hope everything is fine with you.love cytf
Gardener32
sylhet
Bangladesh

December 8, 2013
4:24 AM

Post #9723711

Very nice flower. Hibiscus rosa sinensis.

http://www.homemyheaven.co.uk/
webcracking

December 12, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9726825

very beautiful nice share

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America