Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Heat and Tomatoes

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
myalpinegarden
Smithers
Canada

August 1, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9618591

Help. I live in the Pacific Northwest (Northern area) have 7 beautiful tomato plants growing in my sq.ft. garden. Now suddenly it is extremely hot ( high 90's) totally uncommon for our climate area. Should I cover my tomatoes with the garden fabric I have in place to protect my garden? Will this heat and the direct sunshine hurt my green tomatoes as they hang on the vine? I will be so disappointed if I lose them.

I religiously water my tomatoes every evening, at the bottoms of their tomato halo containers.

Please let me know what I can do to help them make it through this heat spell. Thanks for your anticipated help.

mag

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9618762

Tomatoes are HEAT and SUNSHINE lovers!

As long as you keep them evenly hydrated, they should be fine.

Be aware, however, that when temps rise above 82+, the tomato plants usually stop setting fruits. Here, the high humidity causes the pollen to get sticky and clump.

Any fruit already set will continue to ripen. If your sun is extremely intense, you might protect them against sun-scald with some 70% shade cloth.

You might try shaking your plants vigorously every now and again to make the pollen fly, if your air is dryer than ours. Or, you might Google how to hand pollinate with a Q-Tip swab or small artist brush.

Let us know how you make out!

Linda

myalpinegarden
Smithers
Canada

August 2, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9619695

Thanks so much for your reply Linda. Glad to hear that they are heat and sun lovers. I do hydrate my tomatoes every evening. Today it was well over 82, so I did cover my tomatoes in my garden box half way. The garden cloth did keep the scalding sun off of them, and they appear to be doing well now. It is currently 4:18 pm pacific standard time.

I believe that I will take a walk around my garden box and give my tomato plants a good shake! I was told by the garden center owner that all the tomatoes I had chosen were shrub types and I did not need to worry about pruning them etc.

I did however prune my tomatoes as they were so full of foliage leaves they would never have set fruit. Now however, they are all loaded with healthy green baby tomatoes. Can't wait to pick my first ripe tomato though, and I will take it down to him at his nursery, and show him that "you can definitely grow tomatoes in the Pacific Northwest of British Columbia Canada WITHOUT a Greenhouse!"

He claimed when I bought my young plants from him, that I would never, never be able to grow tomatoes up here, without a greenhouse so it was probably just a waste of time to try. Said they needed a minimum of 6 to 7 hours of sunlight per day. I explained that where my property is situate at the alpine base of Hudson Bay Mountain, I got sunlight between 4:00 am to 7:30 pm each day during June, July and August. The way that I learned to count that adds up to 15 hours! Right? Oh well-it is still a great joy to watch them grow and ripen and know that even as a newbie gardener, I was able to prove his theory wrong! Yes!!

Thanks again for your help.

mag

Farnim
Young America, MN

August 5, 2013
11:27 PM

Post #9622731

A shade cloth isn't terrible, but decent hydration is ideal in my experience. I live in zone 9a. It's arid and reaches temps up to 119F for the worst days. My fruit still set in the high 90s here, and just a few varieties have set fruit above 100. All of my plants are in 15-30 gallon smart pots(fabric). I water each with 2 gallons of water in the morning and if it's been hot that day (110+) I'll give a gallon or two in the evening. No shade cloth for me.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9622943

Farnim,
Not completely sure, but our humidity is sooo high down here, we actually end up wearing it! Which is why our pollen gets gloppy and sticky and doesn't fly easily.

I believe our next option here is to hand pollinate with a Q-tip swab. . .. . Fascinating to hear your plants set fruits above 85.

My personal remedy for getting fruit set before our blazing heat began last season when I set my tomato seedlings out in mid-February. Temps were still dropping to the mid-40s at night, and everyone said I was too early, but, I protected them well, and was rewarded with my best long-season crop, ever!

I just perused my 2014 Tomato Plan, and looks like I'll be starting my long season seeds December 21st for plant out on February 15th.

I'll plant some short to medium season seeds January 4th for plant out March 1st.

Linda

KarensWorld
High Point, NC

August 9, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9625988

I saw a video awhile back that recommended "thumping" the plant just above the blossoms to release pollen. I've done it and it appears to work, though your finger will smell like a tomato plant. I do recommend you do this covertly, otherwise your neighbors will think you're nuts!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America