Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Aggressive screechy bird

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

wingwoman

wingwoman
Aurora, CO
(Zone 4a)

August 1, 2013
9:45 PM

Post #9619011

There were a lot of these birds hanging out in our back yard and I thought at first they were Grackles. By the time there was only one bird left, I realized they were smaller and didn't have that glossy black sheen to the feathers, so I managed to get a couple of shots. Can anybody help with an ID?

Thumbnail by wingwoman   Thumbnail by wingwoman
Click an image for an enlarged view.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9619416

The only thing I could come up with was a Rusty Blackbird female or immature, but I could be totally wrong.

Resin will know what it is, though.

By-the-way, very nice shot!

wingwoman

wingwoman
Aurora, CO
(Zone 4a)

August 2, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9619513

Thank you! Stop action has never been my long-suit, but the camera surprises me sometimes. Hoping we'll get a response with the ID.

wingwoman

wingwoman
Aurora, CO
(Zone 4a)

August 3, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9620292

Hello out there to the bird ID gurus! I heard that Resin will know what bird this is. I've been camping in the back yard, hoping for a return visit from my mystery companion so that I might get a better photo. He (she) has not come back, so I'm re-posting my appeal.

Thumbnail by wingwoman   Thumbnail by wingwoman         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9620474

Check out this link for e-nature.com and click on both Rusty Blackbird and Common Grackle. You can read about them and listen to their songs to see if either one sounds like your bird. The pictures they have may not resemble your bird, but there are different stages of feather color.

The reason why I even mention a Grackle is because the immature is mostly brown with dark wings.

By the way, this is a wonderful site. If you go to the home page you'll notice you can look up all kinds of Birds, Mammals, Reptiles and more.

http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/view_default.asp?curGroupID=1&shape=961&color=869&color=872&size=466&habitat=995&habitat=989&habitat=1000&habitat=987&curRegionID=2208&Submit=Search

wingwoman

wingwoman
Aurora, CO
(Zone 4a)

August 6, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9623041

Thanks for the website link! It will be a great help. It seems like the rusty blackbirds I see in photos have much more bulbous eyes than my little guy, but it's the best match I've seen. And their call matches up as well, unlike the common grackle who sounds like a rusty hinge. I appreciate your help!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9623067

Glad the link was some help to you.

Apparently Resin is away for a while. He's usually the best person for definitive IDs. His knowledge is quite incredible

Resin, if you see this post, don't go getting a big head :-)

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9626081

It's not a Rusty Blackbird, the bill is too stout for that - they have slender bills compared to other Icteridae species.

Still tyring to decide what it is; whatever the species, it is a juvenile moulting into adult male plumage.

Resin
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9626088

Hey Resin...we've missed you!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America