Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: sweet potato rooot!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 10, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Albertagardner
Bon accord
Canada

August 4, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9621164

I got Back from a 10 day trip and this sweet potatoe gave me a root! I live in ALberta Canada and our growing season is nearing done.

I do not want to cut it up now for eating which was intended to in the first place.. but since it has a root how can i keep this growing till spring? sorry for such a beginner question. When I lived on a farm all we did was just plant small spuds for potatoes.

how can I save this for all winter long ? thank you!

Thumbnail by Albertagardner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2013
1:11 PM

Post #9621221

that is actually not a root, but an actual sweet potato plant stalk! :)

if you cut it off, with a good bit of the sweet potato attached to it, and plant it, you could have yourself a late harvest :)

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9621223

if you could give it somewhere that had cold protection that is (i dont know how i forgot to add that in entirely, lol)
Albertagardner
Bon accord
Canada

August 4, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9621393

isnt that how they get the roots tho? i had a potatoe last year that had stalks ont hem and gave them to my nieghbor she planted them in her garden. just like that tho..
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9621409

Typically a sweet potato starts growing a stem with leaves on it. When they get around 4 or 5 inches in length I break them off the sweet potato and plant them in potting mix.
Albertagardner
Bon accord
Canada

August 4, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9621463

through out winter?
AdamAgain
SW, AR
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9621490

Alb’,

If you are in love with that sweet potato, but don’t love it enough or love it too much to eat it (They are easy to fall in love with!), you might want to raise slips from it to start next year’s potato crop. You won’t have it, but you can have its offspring for many sweet sweet potato generations to come–kind of like having your cake and eating it too.

Alberta, Canada . . . what cultivar is that sweet potato?
Albertagardner
Bon accord
Canada

August 4, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9621542

lol i dont know it came from the food store. how do you do slips? i keep hearing that thanks! in love with the tater is an understatement lol i love sweet tater. but having that showed up like that was quite a surprise.. haha
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9621918

I had a couple of sweet potato vines in an east window for a couple of years. As they got longer I took cuttings in the spring so I had something to plant out. I had one in a quart sized deli container. It even grew a miniature sweet potato. They don't grew fast on a window sill but they do grow. es or so long

To do slips brake the growing stem off when it gets 5 inch or so long and put it in moist potting mix. It will grow roots and become a vine.

They make nice looking house plants
Jim41
Delhi, LA

August 7, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9624553

When I was a kid, the women in our country, who wanted a house plant and couldn't afford the price of one, would put water in a quart jar and stick a sweet potato in the mouth of the jar. In a few days they would have a beautiful vine. All the up keep needed was to pick the potato up and add water when needed.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9624932

Though my mom had lots of house plants, the teacher in first grade had all of us grow a sweet potato and mine did very well. I still have the pottery piece where the sweet potato grew.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America