Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Looks like an Octopus?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 128
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 5, 2001
11:57 PM

Post #17450

Found this plant at an estate sale. It was given to me. Looks like an octopus to me LOL Does anyone know anything about this plant? Sami

Thumbnail by Sami
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2001
3:41 AM

Post #158472

Darn, the name is on the tip of my tongue, just can't quite get it. I think this is a plant that has been neglected, and if you cut those leggy stems off and plant the tips, you will get something that looks like a dracaena, the corn plant, but without its upright form. The leaves might be rich green or have a little purple on them, even reddish in the right environment. The name is similar to aeschynanthus, but the plant isn't. I'll try to find the name, but meanwhile you should treat it as your average houseplant, and in summer put it on something tall in the shade outside. It will put out numerous runners, and each crown will get about 6-10" across. The stems are quite crisp when healthy.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2001
3:53 AM

Post #158477

Wasnt sure what to do with it Aimee. It was just sitting in their flower bed. It was really dry. I just brought it home and started watering it. She said she left it out all winter. Let me know if you find out anything else. Didnt know if cutting off the long leggy parts would harm it or not. I know when I started watering, it started getting new shoots in the center of it. I have it in a shady area now. There is a grove of trees where it is sitting. Thanks Sami
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2001
5:49 AM

Post #158508

In your zone, it might very well be able to stay out all winter. I have some that I left in a barely heated shelter outside, and the part next to the rock wall of the house survived. I have always treated it the same as plain old house ivy, but last year I wasn't able to get things in because I went to the doctor thinking I would just come home as usual, and it was two weeks before I returned, and was hampered by the effects of surgery and chemo. So some things were left to make it on their own. I was pleased to see that one made it, although it was slow to recover after the freezing. Only the center made it, the trailing parts froze and died. If I were you , I would cut off the legs, cut the stems back to about three inches and grow them in water until spring. You have enough to experiment, so maybe you could plant some for inside, some in shelter outside and some in water. Each leg should make a new plant, and in spring you will have a lot of pretty ones to trade. They don't require real bright light, but will be healthier in at least medium. And the stems won't be stringy like the ones you have now. It's an easy plant, and a nice looking one for a patio or hanging under trees.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2001
1:14 PM

Post #158607

Thanks Aimee I will try that and see what happens. Sorry to hear about your illness, hope all is well now. Sami
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2001
5:45 AM

Post #159052

Thank you, Sami. I am recovering much faster now that I've regained enough energy to be outside and do a little gardening. On a good day, like today, I almost forget it happened. I can hardly wait for enough time to pass that it doesn't need to be mentioned, but for now, it has changed so much that I feel the need to explain. Like, why did I neglect that poor plant so much? Next year, I'll have no excuse!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2001
3:33 AM

Post #159623

Sami, Aimee makes it sound so easy to grow that I'll bet EVEN I can grow it...(Aimee doesn't know me like you do...but she'll learn about my "brown thumb") LOL Jo
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2001
4:40 AM

Post #159651

roadrunner I think you would be very good at it. You just had DH to do it for you and you just never tried. You always did good in what ever you did. You know like the time I first moved into your neighborhood in Va Beach, you said you couldnt sew and talked me into making you a couple of outfits. Than I found out later you could sew really well. LOL. Sami

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America