Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: so now what?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9625399

I planted these onions a month or so ago, not expecting much. I had heard that its to hot to grow onions in central Florida & growing onions from onion ends wouldn't work. Well I cut the bottom off some onions, planted them, watered them & this is what grew. I've found a lot of info on the internet about starting onions but not much info about what to do after they grow. So I've got these 4 plants & they're growing great but I don't know what to do with them. Can I leave them in the pots? Will the onions have room to grow in a pot? Or Transplant them? How do I know when they're ready? Do I water them everyday? Do they need fertilizer? Do I need to do anything else to them? I read somewhere that I should dig them up & seperate the shoots & each one should be planted seperatly to make individual plants. I'm clueless here. Any advice would be great!

Thumbnail by brownthumb78   Thumbnail by brownthumb78   Thumbnail by brownthumb78   Thumbnail by brownthumb78   Thumbnail by brownthumb78
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9625488

I would acclimate them to outdoors and continue growing them in something close to full sun.
If the containers you have them in are as big as you can provide, that is OK, just make sure the plants do not get knocked over.
Yes, fertilizer and water are important.
AdamAgain
SW, AR
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9625628

Florida needs a short day onion, and they need to be started at the proper time of the year–day length triggers bulbing.

Ours like chicken manure. We had a blue ribbon crop this year, and the transplants came from here:

http://www.dixondalefarms.com/
brownthumb78
Belleair, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9625838

I bought these onions @ the store & just cut the bottoms off & planted them. Would they be short day if I bought them here? They were red onions & scallions. & do u transplant yours at a certain time? How do I know when to transplant them? Is it too hot now? Should I bring them inside during the day to avoid the summer heat? This is the info I don't know. Thanks!
AdamAgain
SW, AR
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9626042

I’m not trying to peddle for dixondalefarms, though I am a satisfied customer of theirs. The link provided above will take you to a world of information pertinent to any onion tender. They know onions!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America