Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Something Growing with Irises

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 6, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
poinget
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9625471

Hello everyone.
I recently planted a bunch of rhizomes in a new bed. As you can see in the pic, there is a new iris growing in the background. However, there are other plants growing in front of it. The rhizomes of those NOID plants look exactly the same as the rest but with fuzzy skin. What are those? What's going on? All these rhizomes came from the same huge bulbous growth.

Thumbnail by poinget
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9625481

The fuzzy leaves are not irises. Have you had any other self-seeding plants in that bed, like digitalis/foxglove or anything else?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 9, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9625652

I would lift all the Iris Rhizomes out from the new planting place and clean off all the other green Rhizomes as these were either already in that area when you planted the Iris, OR you moved them with the Iris and planted them all together,

I have no idea at this stage whet these small newly shooting tubers belong to plant wise BUT, they look as if these are fast growing therefore before you know it, they may choke out the Iris.

At first I looked at the fresh sprouted green hairy foliage and thought these belonged to stinging nettles but these dont grow from tubers or Rhizomes, neither do hairy leaved Fox Gloves, once the leaves have matured more, then maybe they can be recognised BUT regardless, Iris dont like being set out amid other tubers as the vie for warm sun to bake the Rhizomes to enable flowering for next year, they need planted very shallow and only the roots should be under the soil.

Cant help with identifying the little plants so hope someone else can come in and help you out.
Kind Regards, WeeNel.
poinget
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9626676

Thank you so much for the quick replies. I did plant them all together. These rhizomes came from a single bulbous mass. At the time, I didn't know anything about irises and tried my best not to break up the huge clump too much. Now I have a bunch of baby irises growing closely together and those new unknown plants. These irises are over 40 years old. I have several large beds that consist of one large tuberous mass that I still have to break up (3'x3',5'x5', etc), but I don't have the energy to do it this year, nor the space to replant them (that will change next year). Do you think these were two types of plants that became entangled? All my irises are one type.

About the new irises growing closely together, should I wait till next year to move them? They are only 3-5 inches tall right now.

Thumbnail by poinget
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 11, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9627785

I would want to try in some way to separate the Iris from the fuzy leaved tubers as these are going to grow like nothing on earth, then you will have a hellish time trying to part the Iris from these other plants,

I once forund a lovely little tuber growing in among my plants and it actually looked a bit like your GREEN tuber, I left it alone as I was really curious as to what it was, As a lot of gardeners do, I forgot all about it and 2 years later I was smothered in NIGHT SHADE, once I realised or was informed what it was, I have to admit, shock was NOT the word I would use, I had very young grand-kids then and they were just at the stage where they could go out into the garden on there own and even though they were taught never to put things they found in the garden in their mouth, the flowers on these nightshade plants looked very attractive I must say.
We spent the rest of the next 2 years getting rid and even now, we still find tiny little bits here and there, I can only assume maybe birds drop the seeds and like lightning, these little tubers grow like Topsy,
Take head, all plants that are free are not always welcome gifts.

Good luck. WeeNel.
poinget
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9628588

I separated them. With a lot of jostling, I loosened the dirt and the big clump fell apart. I then noticed the difference between the irises and these NOIDs. Now I know that in the beds I had thought were predominantly iris, actually consist mostly of this unknown plant. You are right. These plants choked out the irises. The iris rhizomes were partially rotted. I cut those sections off and replanted them. I moved the other plants to another area to see what grows.

Pic 1 is the bed now. How does that look? (I uncovered a few new irises that were no more than 2 inches long underneath the leaves piled on top.) I didn't follow the advice to point the fans in the same direction (I learned that last night) as most of those I had replanted months before and I didn't want to move them again just as fall approaches. And should I wait to move the baby irises? (pic 3)

Pic 2: I ended up snapping the rhizome in half and planting both pieces. Was that the right thing to do?

So many questions! I appreciate the thoughtful answers. Thank you!

Thumbnail by poinget   Thumbnail by poinget   Thumbnail by poinget      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 12, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9628617

You have done your best and that's all that the plants can ask for, with the other tuberous rooted plants gone the Iris will get stronger and form new roots Iris are quite hardy plants with regards the roots so even IF you have to replant them again next year they will be fine, give them a good feed and add some humus to the soil, dont bury the tuber under the soil, it needs to just sit on top and the roots need under the soil to give the tall foliage stability.
Good luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America