Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

passion plant

Kansas City, MO

i have mine in a pot it is doing so good but what do i do in the winter do i bring it in or leave it out i live in zone 5 missouri

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Are you asking about any of the vines Passiflora? Most are not very cold tolerant. There might be some that are cold hardy in your zone.
Are you asking about the edible Passion Fruit? (also Passiflora) Not cold tolerant. You will have to bring this one in.

Are you asking about the Purple Passion Vine, Gynura sarmentosa? Not cold hardy, bring it in.

Kansas City, MO

mine is a maypop so far this is the only fruit it has on it thank you so much

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

I have Passiflora Incarnata it is cold hardy in zone 6b. I planted it last year and it came back like gangbusters this year, but it is planted on the south-west facing side of my garage and I didn't mulch it. This winter our weather is supposed to be be colder, so we will see how it does. I would save seed if you have any, just in case.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

I have only been able to grow one in my conservatory so I must admit, I'm no expert, mine was all foliage, little fruit and the top growth took over the whole place because of the tems in summer and the shelter from winter.

I would go along with Nanny23 as her advice is great in as much as, growing tender climbers on a South- West facing area, a wall would suit better as there is also heat generated from walls once they warm up, winter protection is also good in that situation. I would also cover it with an old net curtain or horticultural fleece bought by the yard or in ready cut packs, it is as light as a feather allows light in, air to circulate, lets water through and sunlight too, but it helps keep frost off the foliage, stops wind burning the plants if your in that type of conditions and can be rewashed for next year, cut, sewn or wrapped, it's great for shelter or shading too.
Good luck. WeeNel.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.