Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marykwiley
Kansas City, MO

August 9, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9626101

i have mine in a pot it is doing so good but what do i do in the winter do i bring it in or leave it out i live in zone 5 missouri
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9627691

Are you asking about any of the vines Passiflora? Most are not very cold tolerant. There might be some that are cold hardy in your zone.
Are you asking about the edible Passion Fruit? (also Passiflora) Not cold tolerant. You will have to bring this one in.

Are you asking about the Purple Passion Vine, Gynura sarmentosa? Not cold hardy, bring it in.

marykwiley
Kansas City, MO

August 27, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9643028

mine is a maypop so far this is the only fruit it has on it thank you so much

Nanny23

Nanny23
Mount Sterling, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9660855

I have Passiflora Incarnata it is cold hardy in zone 6b. I planted it last year and it came back like gangbusters this year, but it is planted on the south-west facing side of my garage and I didn't mulch it. This winter our weather is supposed to be be colder, so we will see how it does. I would save seed if you have any, just in case.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 16, 2013
5:38 AM

Post #9661156

I have only been able to grow one in my conservatory so I must admit, I'm no expert, mine was all foliage, little fruit and the top growth took over the whole place because of the tems in summer and the shelter from winter.

I would go along with Nanny23 as her advice is great in as much as, growing tender climbers on a South- West facing area, a wall would suit better as there is also heat generated from walls once they warm up, winter protection is also good in that situation. I would also cover it with an old net curtain or horticultural fleece bought by the yard or in ready cut packs, it is as light as a feather allows light in, air to circulate, lets water through and sunlight too, but it helps keep frost off the foliage, stops wind burning the plants if your in that type of conditions and can be rewashed for next year, cut, sewn or wrapped, it's great for shelter or shading too.
Good luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America