Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: unidentified squash

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jessie2blue
Fort Plain, NY

August 9, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9626106

I planted a few "golden delicious" squash seeds and have no idea what these have grown to be. The plants have thus far yielded 2 squash with a smooth orange skin. They are about 8 inches long and teardrop/football shaped. All efforts of an internet search come up empty. The only thing I find are no where close to what I have. These do not look like the blue/green hubbard, nor do they resemble anything short and squatty. I need help identifying them as well as when they should be harvested. I live in upstate NY.
Thanks!
Jess
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9626113

Something like this? http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-delicious-s/

They are ready to harvest when you can no longer dent the skins with your finger nail. Given how cold our spring was, how rainy June and July were I'm going to guess harvest date will be mid to late Sept.

I'm about 50 miles west of you.
jessie2blue
Fort Plain, NY

August 9, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9626172

sort of...mine are fat on the end with the stem and come to a more gradual point where the flower was. The pictures here show ridges in the skin, which mine don't have. Could be that mine are not mature enough yet? I'll leave them be a little while longer and will try to post a picture tomorrow..Thanks Doug
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9626714

Golden Delicious is an orange colored hubbard that get 5 to 10 lbs. I suspect that yours is still green. When ripe the rind will be very hard. May take a machete or hatchet to open them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America