Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

unidentified squash

Fort Plain, NY

I planted a few "golden delicious" squash seeds and have no idea what these have grown to be. The plants have thus far yielded 2 squash with a smooth orange skin. They are about 8 inches long and teardrop/football shaped. All efforts of an internet search come up empty. The only thing I find are no where close to what I have. These do not look like the blue/green hubbard, nor do they resemble anything short and squatty. I need help identifying them as well as when they should be harvested. I live in upstate NY.
Thanks!
Jess

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Something like this? http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-delicious-s/

They are ready to harvest when you can no longer dent the skins with your finger nail. Given how cold our spring was, how rainy June and July were I'm going to guess harvest date will be mid to late Sept.

I'm about 50 miles west of you.

Fort Plain, NY

sort of...mine are fat on the end with the stem and come to a more gradual point where the flower was. The pictures here show ridges in the skin, which mine don't have. Could be that mine are not mature enough yet? I'll leave them be a little while longer and will try to post a picture tomorrow..Thanks Doug

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Golden Delicious is an orange colored hubbard that get 5 to 10 lbs. I suspect that yours is still green. When ripe the rind will be very hard. May take a machete or hatchet to open them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.