Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: My Tomato Plant is Dying!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
louieluv
Benicia, CA

August 9, 2013
10:47 PM

Post #9626352

This is my first tomato plant. Its in a container with holes in the bottom to drain water. I haven't seen any bugs around it. I keep the soil moist, and feed it some plant food. Im super bummed because my tomato plant that has grown almost 5 feet tall, and producing so many tomatoes is dying all of a sudden. It has happened over just a couple days. The tomatoes have been staying green for a few weeks now, so I trimmed some of the leaves, hoping maybe that would help the tomatoes to develop faster. Now, within days, all the leaves have turned brown. It looks like the brown starts in the center of the leaf, then spreads out turning the whole leaf brown. Does anyone know what is happening?

Thumbnail by louieluv   Thumbnail by louieluv
Click an image for an enlarged view.

gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2013
8:46 PM

Post #9631050

Sorry no one responded to help you out. I am no expert on tomato diseases but you have gotten some kind of infection. It could be wilt or blight. Why don't you post this over on the tomato forum where someone will surely be able to give you a more definitive answer? What variety is this tomato plant?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/tomatoes/all/

Good luck.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9631373

How hot is it where you are? Also, don't keep it too moist as tomatoes don't really like wet feet (roots). Allow it to dry out some. I would just clip off the dead or dying leaves and continue on. Also, what are you feeding it and how often are you applying fertilizer?
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

September 28, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9672194

Hi, I had a problem with my tomato plants too. They were doing really well, then all the leaves shrivelled up and the plants eventually died. It can't have been caterpillars because the leaves weren't eaten. I was told that there is some kind of insect that enters the leaf and sucks it dry, eventually killing the plant. This year I'm going to try again, but with netting over the plants, hoping to keep the insects at bay! Hope this helps.
bluetexasbonnie
Geronimo, TX

September 29, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9673085

Another potential cause could be drifted sprayed herbicide. Are any other plants unexpectedly showing some dead or dying foliage at the tops or sides? Little puffs of herbicides can drift a long way.

Golf courses, agriculture operations and some lawn services often spray herbicides to control weeds.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9673679

maybe it's just at the end of its life. even an indeterminate tomato can only produce for so long before it dies. a determinate tomato will produce all of its fruits within a certain time span and then it's over.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2013
9:28 PM

Post #9673767

Looks like it is related to overwatering.
I am just a few miles from Benicia. The weather has been really extreme for the last month or so. Really hot for several days, then colder than average, and it even rained one day. Does not usually do that until the end of October.
My tomatoes are still going strong. But they are in the ground, not containers. I am only watering them once a week in the hottest weather, and less as it cools off.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2013
9:18 PM

Post #9685275

It could be spider mites. Do you see any webbing? Just your description makes me think of this. Mites are microscopic (almost). They thrive in hot dry weather. I haven't had a problem with them this year, but they have been the Bain of my garden, in yrs past.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America