Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Honeysuckle allergy?

Columbia, VA(Zone 6b)

I didn't know where else to ask this here, so I chose this part of the forum.

I was out in my garden just now weeding. There are honeysuckle vines growing on my garden fence, and my watermelon was latching on to the honeysuckle. So I yanked some up (the honeysuckle).

One of the vines lost it's top layer as I was pulling, and when I pulled again it was slippery and slid between my fingers. I got it out. But about a minute later my fingers started burning where the slimy part of the vine slid between them. I ran inside and washed my hands, poured vinegar on them, washed them again, then applied some witch hazel. I also took a benadryl. After my hands were dry I looked close, and there are clear bumps in between my fingers...like poison ivy.

Is this normal? I have been around honeysuckle my whole life and do not remember ever having a reaction to touching it. Am I in danger? It's like the clear tiny blisters are tiny burns...I suffer from severe anxiety so I'm kinda freakin' right now...any insight or advice???

Thanks in advance.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Perhaps it would be a good idea to poat photos of what you describe as honeysuckle vines at the Plant ID forum?

Columbia, VA(Zone 6b)

I can do that. Thanks :)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

So... Japanese honeysuckle, a common weed in your area, is known to cause skin irritation:
http://voices.yahoo.com/guide-contact-poisoning-garden-6020828.html

Columbia, VA(Zone 6b)

Well crap. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.