10:48 PM

Post #9628021

Bump
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 12, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9628315

Here are the seedlings, fresh seeds germinate in days, I didn't even soak these. I've had no more blooms ion the momma plant.

Added

that I forgot to say thank you jackie for starting a new thread...thank you!

This message was edited Aug 12, 2013 9:22 AM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 12, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9628407

These are but a few that I took just now. Harley seems to always be where I'm taking photos. I just happened to look at these guys and caught some butterflies coming out. On the legs of the chair there are four more cocoons.

I hope you don't mind me posting off topic.

Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd
Click an image for an enlarged view.

helenahkh
Gautier, MS

August 12, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9628476

Gorgeous blooms Jackie of your pandy's.

Nice bloom too A, love all your butterfies.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 12, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9628481

Gourd wrote:These are but a few that I took just now. Harley seems to always be where I'm taking photos. I just happened to look at these guys and caught some butterflies coming out. On the legs of the chair there are four more cocoons.

I hope you don't mind me posting off topic.

I counted almost two dozen flowers on your first photo Jackie.. Great picture too.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 12, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9628484

I sure wis I knew what I am doing that I keep tutting in that quote .
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9628841

1st chance to sit at computer all day. You're welcome A
We certainly don't mind your posting off topic . We all have done that.
Wish I had time to help the butterflies. Just glad that many of you do. :-)

Thanks Helena.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 19, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9635513

Well, the cuttings I took did not root. Ill try again early spring of 2014. Timing may be crucial here.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9635774

I am proud to know you, A, you butterfly person you! ;D
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2013
9:08 PM

Post #9635817

I can't root them either A so don't feel bad.
That piece of tuber I dug up and stuck in a cup of water is rooted now. Thinking
'about planting it in the front yard.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 20, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9636074

Deborah, Lol... Build it and they shall come, like in the movie...Lol. There must be thousands, to days ago there were so many yellow sulfur s and then two dys later a ton of white sulfur s.. At least I think tht is what they are. The fritillary butterflies have munched don several full grown passion vines .. And left nubs.. I still have lots of careula . I won't see flowers on some new passies I got last year..they became lunch..

Jackie, ill try again, although now I have a dozen seedlings to plant next spring. I don't have time to separate them now. But I have a plan.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9636992

a pandy bloom this am, the lobelia is shining,mt tropical hib,some wild hyssop along the fence.

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 21, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9637453

Love that pandy , I like hib too. Some nice flowers there.

I got my seedlings growing. I can't believe hoe fast fresh seeds germinate . I got two more seedlings in another pot. This hib here has five flower clusters on each Stem, dunno why.

Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9637703

i love your hardys, AND your desert rose. mine has finished blooming for a while..
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2013
11:33 PM

Post #9637770

Nice blooms Debra and A. Love the Desert Rose, one of my favorites.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2013 1:34 AM
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 23, 2014
8:29 AM

Post #9819597

My 2014 Pandy is up, it has been growing for about a month, six stems... Woooohooo. I can hardly wait to see it bloom. At the end of this season, I'll put her in the ground in a permanent location. We have clay soil, so I done know whether to amend it, I think I will. I've put in several native four o'clock tubers and I'm not sure they like the clay so much. I've got to put more gravel for drainage .

Here's i. Pandurata over a foot tall now.

Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd         

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2014
9:14 AM

Post #9819629

OH THAT IS AWSOME, i CAN'T wait to see if mione comes back or if any of the seeds ya all have sent me pop up.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2014
11:09 AM

Post #9819706

Those look great A.
Hope your's come back too Debra.
Mine is up but just in 2 places. Thiscold winter has worked a number on it but hopefully it will recover and come back strong.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2014
5:45 PM

Post #9852963

I have over 30 lead stems on pandy now. Some small so might not bloom this season..
I was weeding around pandy the other day and pulled up a small pandy by mistake. Usually when I do that, I get a pandy with just a partial tuber and always end up losing it, no roots. This time the one I pulled has only roots, so it appears to be fine and healthy.

Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie         

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2014
7:25 PM

Post #9853058

Oh Jackie, I think Mine is up and vining! I am sooooo Kacited! I will take a pic and show you tommorrow. I HOPE it is a pandy, cuz right about a foot and a half away a silly ole air potatoe vine popped up outta no where?
yours looks good. i am going to be very upset if mine is not a pandy. i have millions of volunteer purps up every where pulling them out of the gardens.
Wifeygirl
(Caitlin) Fresno, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2014
1:32 PM

Post #9866353

So excited, you guys! I got some flowers donated by a friend which I planted a month ago, and what did I discover today but a Morning Glory climbing up them! I guess I got one of beautiful purple variety that she normally trains to climb her mailbox. I moved it over to an open trellis, re-wrapped it, and now I am waiting and hoping it will be happy there.

I'll post pics when it blooms. Bonus MG! =)
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2014
1:06 PM

Post #9871985

Oh my gosh, look what I just found on my pandy. The front of the dog yard with pandy all over the place looked just fine. All I had noticed was a leaf, or thickened stem, that morphed into a bud, very strange.
Today I was checking out the vine on the back side of the dog yard fence and here is what I found, This looks dreadful. Anyone ever seen anything like it?

This message was edited Jun 19, 2014 3:07 PM

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2014
1:34 PM

Post #9872038

looks like a blight or fungus of some sort..
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2014
10:23 PM

Post #9872464

Debra, too many leaves to spray. I might try making up your soapy water mixture and drench
the ground with it,. Couldn't make it any worse.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2014
5:19 AM

Post #9872572

is it all over the whole plant or just a few stems? there might be an option to prune the bad off..
here is mine so far ..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife         

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2014
12:24 PM

Post #9872953

Debra, its not on the whole plant. But its traveling so it will probably reach all my stems.
The stems themselves are so tangled that I don't know bout cutting them but I won't rule that out,.
I wonder if the gall on my Oak tree stems had anything to do with this. On the walking path to the g house, I see small sprouted Oak trees and they have the blistered, damaged leaves.
These baby oak trees are from the acorns that sprouted, I wonder if the acorns can carry the gall virus??

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2014
10:23 PM

Post #9873443

I found this on search..
[HYPERLINK@www.boundless.com]
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2014
11:47 PM

Post #9873462

Debra, thanks for that link, very interesting. I think that when I was outside pulling weeds away from pandy,
I think I damaged some tissue on my pandy which allowed the virus to enter the plant leaves and/or stems.
I sprayed this evening and then poured the rest of the neem on the ground where my stems come up. I hope I didn't kill my vine. I'll see how it looks in the morning.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2014
1:02 PM

Post #9884659

My pandy survived the neem treatment.
Definitely an improvement in the leaves I treated. No way to know if it was the spraying or the
liquid I poured straight from the bottle to where the stems come up out of the ground.,
With so many lvs, there's no way to spray the backs of the lvs, so I think it was the neem I poured directly on the ground,

Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie   Thumbnail by patootie      

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2014
1:14 PM

Post #9884672

What I thought was a small pandy that I pulled up by the roots is not a pandy
after all. Pandy starts making a tuber right away and this just has regular roots. This has
to be a purp.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

July 3, 2014
1:37 PM

Post #9884697

Pretty blooms Jackie. Good to know about the neem, glad it worked for you. I probably should use it too on mine. No sign of buds on mine so don't know what's up with it.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2014
7:36 PM

Post #9885029

your pandy looks great, Jackie. I see a lot of bloom buds on mine, but I have to wait until daylight LOL
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2014
11:19 PM

Post #9885136

Thanks Helena and Debra.
Helena, can't think of any reason your pandy hasn't made buds. You got blooms last yr right??
Debra, Hope your pandy starts opening blooms soon.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

July 4, 2014
6:32 AM

Post #9885283

Jackie, no sad to say I didn't get any blooms from my pandy last year either.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2014
8:45 AM

Post #9885424

Helena, I can't imagine why it did not flower. Wonder if it could be too warm there in your locale?? It can't be the cold, we had a bitter cold winter here and mine is still flowering.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

July 4, 2014
10:09 AM

Post #9885480

I know, I don't know why? I saw the ones along the side of the road blooming last year and they got chopped down in the fall too. I'm letting mine climb all over as they please. Maybe I have too many young shoots. Will take a picture later and check them out closer.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2014
5:06 PM

Post #9885697

Very perplexing Helena. I'm clueless.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 7, 2014
8:15 AM

Post #9887646

Mine has bloomed twice this year, only two flowers so far.

Helena, try bloom booster on them. I'll beg they will bloom. I don't think a little or a onece in while use will stress the tuber out. I gave mine lots last year. Or a mixture of fish emulsuin and bloom booster on the weak side.

PS, hello you two, I sometimes miss growing Mgs..
A.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

July 7, 2014
10:01 AM

Post #9887743

I guess I need to try some bloom booster on mine.

A. good to see you here. We miss you. Sad to hear your not growing mgs. I have some of your passion flowers growing.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 7, 2014
10:21 AM

Post #9887763

Oh that's great to hear about the passion vines, I have some of Jackies passion vines growing too, three pots full.. I love it. My turtles are posting lots of passion vine fruits, my dogs acquired the taste for them too, so we all eat them, there are hundreds of fruits too. I don't have any on the other two passion vine though. I only have a few mgs going now, blue dawn, maybe a wedding bells, a tuberous mgs, and purpureas that I've been pulling out like crazy.

A.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

July 7, 2014
12:18 PM

Post #9887851

A. at first when the passion seedlings started to come up, I didn't recognize them until they grew some and started showing their regular leaves. It would be nice to get their fruits but I think our summers are not long enough for them to produce fruit.

I'm glad to hear you still have your blue dawn, wedding bells is special too. Purpureas can be a problem. I'm containing my purpureas to one to a pot.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2014
12:31 PM

Post #9887855

Sorry your pandys aren't blooming up a storm for you there A. Since Helenas aren't either, I;m beginning to suspect they resent the warmer temps in both locations. Just a guess though
as I don't know what temps they prefer. I just know they don't like very cool temps because as
soon as the night temps start dropping below 60 here, they go dormant and disappear underground
I;m glad your maypop passion vine sds sprouted for you and that you're enjoying the fruit already. Mine aren't blooming yet. :-(
We wish you were still growing MG's A and miss your posts and mg pics.

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2014
12:40 PM

Post #9887858

Helena, I usually get lots of blooms and fruits on the maypop passion vines, but not
yet this summer. I think it was the horrible cold winter and took too long for everything to catch up.
Your summers are longer than mine so you should get flowers and fruits too. if you don't, might
be because you had an extra cold winter too and that messed up their natural cycle. Just speculating
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 7, 2014
1:01 PM

Post #9887884

Oh, my maypops are just babies right now. But the incarnata have been full of fruit fit months now. They stay evergreen here each year. The maypop doesn't. How strange. Anyway , my maypops are just babies tight now. I think her kens is talking about the incarnatas also. I don't know if they bloom first year.

I'm cooking most of the day for a going away luncheon at DNS work , I made two huge pasta salad containers, a huge pot of Green chili stew, chocolate cake, and a container of banana pudding. I'm tired already. I just need the cake now.. Lol. I hope others are cooking too.plus DH us ordering lots of pizzas.

I'm glad I get to stay homemade I don't care for luncheons too much.

I'll try to take photos of my blue dawn, it climbed up the confederate rose stems and the other two are climbing on to an arbor.

A.

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2014
1:42 PM

Post #9887932

A, I should have realized the maypops are still babies. They might bloom for you and Helena next yr.
I think maypop is one of the parents of incarnata.
Please send pics of your Blue Dawn when you can.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2014
2:30 PM

Post #9887975

None of my maypop seeds came up.. I have some other passion vines, but they are not blooming yet..
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2014
11:18 PM

Post #9888331

Deb, Its not easy to germinate the passion vine seeds, at least not for me. Yours should sprout though as they're from the same batch of fruit as A's. You might try bottom heat.
M Hudsons catalog always used to recommend a day or two at 120 degrees.
Mabe we can plant the sds and then stick pot and all out in the hot sun, that should raise the temp to over 120 degrees. :-)
A, how did you germinate your maypop seeds??
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 8, 2014
7:14 AM

Post #9888567

Jackies, I just divided them into three pots and stirred them in. I think the to secret passionvine seed is to germinate the seed when they are fresh, not even washed. Right out of the seed pod. That was the reason I asked for whole fruits. I noticed that the whole fruits that fell off the incarnatas right into my raised beds were germinating like crazy. I won't purchase anymore pv seeds anymore, they wash and dry them really good, you don't know how long they gave been dried. Washing them off dies something to them.

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2014
10:52 AM

Post #9888744

You're right A. I've heard that leaving that pulpy stuff on the sds helps them to germinate.
No wonder its so hard for me to germinate the pv sds I purchase, just a waste of money for
me every time.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2014
8:40 PM

Post #9889183

Well, I'd love a may pop just to plant opposite my porcelain vine on the arbor..
here is my pandy, on the makeshift fence thing where the arbor USED to be off the patio..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2014
11:02 PM

Post #9889228

Beautiful pandy blooms Debra and your pics are just great, love that 1st one.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

July 25, 2014
7:04 AM

Post #9902630

Hey A. my pandy finally started to blooms a slow start but better than not at all.

Also wanted to show you my seedlings of the passion vines. I was wondering if I should separate them or just transplant them into bigger pots?

Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2014
9:03 AM

Post #9902732

Helena glad your pandy is blooming now. Worth the wait.
I love your 2nd pic with the sun shining thru the trees on your vine.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 26, 2014
1:57 PM

Post #9903589

Hi Helena , good to see your Pandy blooming. Mine too, has only a few flowers, maybe when it cools down some it will have more buds. As for your passie seedlings, I think I would plant the whole pot and not take them apart, unless you use super thrive and keep them potted up in the shade. I lose so many small plants because they hate their roots being disturbed. I have three pots full and I'm hoping some are the white incarnata . I won't know till next year when they bloom. I may just keep them in the pots till then. The butterflies already found these hidden pots.

Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 26, 2014
2:03 PM

Post #9903591

I can't remember the name of this one, but for some reason it is hardier than my blue maypop. Thus stays evergreen here in zone 7/8, and I have three really thick older plants plus several younger plants, the three older plants cover over 100 feet of cattle panel tunnels. Do you guys know the name of this one? For some reason I can't think of it for the life of me.

helenahkh
Gautier, MS

July 26, 2014
3:42 PM

Post #9903662

Hi A. Your passion vines look great too. I wish I knew the name of the last one but I'm not familiar with it.

I did transplant my smallest pot of passion vines without separating them. One or two of baby vines in the other pot have not made so I'm not going to mess with their roots just transplant them into bigger pots when they grow a bit.

You know I had sown the seeds into pots right after I got them and left them outside the whole winter. So when I had seedlings coming up I didn't remember that they were from the passion vine seeds until they started to get their true leaves.

I had the red one bloom today again, growing and making buds since I transplanted and training it to go up the trellis off my front patio. This bloom is from the other day.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 26, 2014
4:21 PM

Post #9903686

I remember, p. Caruela , I sent you both the P. caruela and Temptation fruits. The fruits I got from Jackie were for incarnata.

Deborah, my one purplish maypop just came up about a month ago. I'm so surprised at the caruela that stays evergreen here and I'm thinking it is hardier than the maypop.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

August 16, 2014
11:55 AM

Post #9919535

I was driving on my road home when I spotted Pandy's growing along the road so I had to stop and take pictures. Funny how they can grow in the wild better than in my garden.

In the same area I saw Ironweed, there was so many of those purple pretty flowers and another yellow wild flower bloom, I think if I remember will go back for seeds in a few weeks. I do like wildflowers!

Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh   Thumbnail by helenahkh      

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2014
3:26 PM

Post #9919664

Helena now you are sounding like me..LOL that cassia is beautiful. I have a kansas version growing on the south side of the house.. but it is a senna instead of a cassia. you will love them. I love anything wild. My iron weed did not make a show this year, so I will also be gathering seeds soon from the country. I am very pleased that my pandy has seed pods.. Yay!
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2014
11:56 PM

Post #9919852

I love the Cassias too. There used to be lovely Sennas growing near my local $ store.
I need to look for them.

helenahkh
Gautier, MS

August 17, 2014
10:45 AM

Post #9920102

Debra, I have quite often collected seeds of flowers I like along the road in the past. I've even had my son dig up an orange red cassia from a ditch close to where he lived years ago. I loved those blooms but the small tree only lasted a couple of years. I still have seeds from it though. They grow wild here on some places along the road.

I love the Ironweed too. I only have one, it's just not fair the ones along the road are growing so good, mine is in too much shade. I know the ones on the empty lot eventually will be mowed down if they ever decide to build a house there.

Jackie, I will look for seeds from the ones from here. I can send you some too. I think I started one too. The seeds need to be nicked and soaked for easier germination. I started seeds of calliandra, powder puff too, I'm really hoping they will germinate too.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Morning Glories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wild Morning Glory. poppysue 12 Feb 9, 2012 10:32 PM
Help! Teens making MG tea. ? getting high! help mingsmimi 5 Jul 18, 2009 4:33 PM
Now ain't that purdy?! (Morning Glory pic) Seedsower 48 Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM
Ipomoea Seeds 101 QueenB 27 Nov 19, 2008 1:03 PM
Wild Potato Vine - Need help with pollenation KevinTernes 22 Aug 22, 2007 10:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America