Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Starting lettuce indoors, leaves brown

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 10, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jjocsak
Nazareth, PA

August 12, 2013
2:23 AM

Post #9628060

I'm starting some seed indoors for my fall crop.
Broccoli, Kale and lettuce.
Everything looks good but the lettuce.
I'm using a self watering starter kit from Lee Valley.
I used a sterile starter mix.
Temps are at 75 deg (consistent)
All germinated in about 2 days.
After about a week the lettuce leaves turned brown and died.
The true leaves came up but they are starting to brown and dies as well.
All the other seedlings look healthy.

What could be the problem?

Thanks
Jeff
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

August 12, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9628202

Too hot still for lettuce?
I would re seed when the weather cools.
jjocsak
Nazareth, PA

August 12, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9628349

I started these indoors.

Jeff

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9628696

It does sound like they are too warm and dry. Try rearranging your plants so they are in a different spot.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9628861

>> All germinated in about 2 days.
After about a week the lettuce leaves turned brown and died

I always read that lettuce might have trouble germinating above 75 or 77 soil temps, yet yours came up fine!

Maybe they needed to go outdoors quickly, or bigger cells.
Or better-drained soil, more frequent watering, or more humidity in the air (just speculating).

>> All the other seedlings look healthy.

That makes it sound like you know how to avoid damping off.

I know that there are several lettuce diseases and newer varieties promise this or that resistance. "Brown leaves" sound like a final necrotic stage of "They're dead, Jim". Maybe some earlier symptom would have pointed toward some specific disease. Maybe starting a few seeds of other varieties would have shown some with resistance ... if a disease was the problem.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9628869

Second thought: this brown-leaf might be recognizable to someone in the "Vegetable" forum.

Or maybe the "Pests and Diseases" forum:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/pad/all/

It sounds as if you have "germination" down pat, but the baby seedlings needed something they weren't getting.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2013 5:06 PM
jjocsak
Nazareth, PA

August 13, 2013
4:14 AM

Post #9629247

I started them in the basement under grow lights.
After the first leaves turned brown the secondary started to show.
Now they are turning brown as well.
The lettuce is only about 1/2" tall after 4 weeks while the other ones are starting their 4th set of leaves.
I have a 4 light fluorescent fixture and keep is about 4' away from the seedlings.
They are planted in a sterile mix and is humid in the basement.
Like I said the them is a constant 75 deg. so maybe that's the problem.

Jeff

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9630652

>> I have a 4 light fluorescent fixture and keep is about 4' away from the seedlings.

Four feet or four inches? You might have marginal light intensity. If it was 4 feet, I can't imagine any seedlings doing well, unless those are extra-high intensity T5 tubes ... not even then.

Maybe try more lettuce seeds, and park them one INCH away from fluorescent tubes after they emerge. Or move them somewhere cool . Hmm, Colorado. Not cool outside, I bet! How about a fall crop, and move them outside ASAP after emerging?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9631008

Oh, I started some lettuce outdoors. It's too early and warm to start anything indoors for me. The peas are already up. I started them about a week ago. the lettuce usually takes a bit longer, and I just started them a few days ago. Yesterday I sowed some broccoli, too as well as flower seeds.

Do you have any place that you can start them outside? I do start some indoors, in winter and very early spring. After that, I get too busy to deal with them.
jjocsak
Nazareth, PA

August 16, 2013
6:16 AM

Post #9632209

RickCorey_WA wrote:>> I have a 4 light fluorescent fixture and keep is about 4' away from the seedlings.

Four feet or four inches? You might have marginal light intensity. If it was 4 feet, I can't imagine any seedlings doing well, unless those are extra-high intensity T5 tubes ... not even then.

Maybe try more lettuce seeds, and park them one INCH away from fluorescent tubes after they emerge. Or move them somewhere cool . Hmm, Colorado. Not cool outside, I bet! How about a fall crop, and move them outside ASAP after emerging?

Sorry it is 4".

Jeff

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9632542

Very possibly some photos would get a better answer, over in the Pests and Diseases forum, or Beginner Vegetables.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America