Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: ever grown dill from stem?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vanita79
dubai
United Arab Emirates

August 12, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9628445

Hi,

I bought some dill from the supermarket a few days back and found a few stemps with seedling buds on it. Just to experiment, I put the stem with the buds oin a bottle of water. I've just noticed today that some of the buds seem to be growing stamens and opening up. Can anyone advice me if its worth potting this stem in soil? What kind of soil and how big a pot would I need? If not potting for the dill leaves, I wouldnt mind potting for dill seeds as I cant find any to grow dill.

Thumbnail by vanita79
Click the image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9628657

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2859/

It should be easy to find dill seed to grow; you could even try planting the ones you buy to cook with, although they may have been treated with something to stop them from sprouting. As it says in the article, though, buy the cultivar that best suits your wants. I think once it goes to seed, that's it.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9628674

Oh sorry, I didn't notice you were writing from UAE! I don't know if you can buy seed there or if someone like burpee would ship there.

Your dill seedling will make ripe seeds which you can eat or plant, but the thing about planting them is you don't know what type you're growing. If it was selected for its dill weed, it won't make as many seeds, and it could be a hybrid and revert back to its grandparents. Growing it from the stem (as you say) is usually called "rooting" and is more common to do with mint, coleus or basil. Dill is in another family altogether (it's in the family with parsley, coriander and carrots) and will just stubbornly keep making its seeds once it decides it's time.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 13, 2013
3:48 AM

Post #9629235

If you bought the plant from a supermarket then I would imagine the plant is from a properly tested plant for flavour and it should be fine to try grow the seeds when they dry and fall off the parent plant, the family of plants Carrie has mentioned are herbs for cooking or medical, they are also grown as annuals meaning the propagate from seeds grow there foliage that we use in cooking, then they flower setting seeds as the flowers die off, all this in the one season,
In your temp it may be be possible to keep the plants growing for another year by removing ALL the flowers as they fade BUT this may make the tender sprays of leaf you want to eat turn into a tough unpleasant tasting, therefore like all the other herbs Carrie mentioned, these including carrots are sewn fresh each year.
Gather your seeds as they become dried and the green pods turn brown, either dry them off and store them till next January, store in a dark dry place, when you plant the seeds, I would be inclined to just cover the seeds in no more, once they are grown and large enough to handle by the second pair of leaves, re-pot into individual pots, of compost and grow them on till they reach the stage they are at the moment. dont over water these seeds or plants or they will wilt on you, just enough water to keep them alive and growing. these are very tender plants in the Western countries so cant speak for your area but green fly and aphids just love the tender shoots so keep an eye out for these pests.

Good luck, you have nothing to loose as your plant is doing it's seasonal decay anyway.
Lets know how you get on. Very Best Wishes. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America