African Violet from seed

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I made my first hybrid cross and need to know what to grow the seeds in, like what soil and light requirements.

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

I have never sown African Violet from seed but have used leaf cutting.

I imagine that the seeds are tiny. If so, surface sow in seeding mix, or moist spaghmum moss that is damp. Light means that the seeds have to be sown on top of the soil as an tiny seeds need. They don't need regular light until they sprouted.

Below is a seed site that may have more information.

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/SeedlistA-AK.htm

The biggest question is do they seedlings need to be misted with water and have moist soil, unlike adult plants that aren't supposed to get leaves wet and can't have soil too wet for extended amount of time. All I know is seedlings need ample light to sprout and sown on top which I have done.

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

No, they don't need to be misted. That can cause dampingoff/rot. I would just keep the soil a bit more moist than adult plants.

They will get the light they need to sprout when surface sown. After they sprout, they will need regular light.

Ok sounds good thanks for the help.

I have sprouts! I mixed AV soil with extra perlite and vermiculite, put in a plastic container and covered it with clear plastic wrap to retain humidity, I have seedlings and every few days I mist them they seem to need the extra moisture they are near a sunny windowsill but not direct sunlight.

Lincoln, NH(Zone 4a)

KEITH2012 Did you surface sow? I was given some seeds and they are not tiny. They are about half the size of bearded iris seeds. Did you put them in the sunny window right away or after they sprouted? I'll wait to hear from you before I plant them.

Quote from murkov2 :
KEITH2012 Did you surface sow? I was given some seeds and they are not tiny. They are about half the size of bearded iris seeds. Did you put them in the sunny window right away or after they sprouted? I'll wait to hear from you before I plant them.

Yes, African violet seeds need sunlight to sprout and so must be surface sown. They got sunlight from the day I planted the seeds. I kept the soil moist by gently spraying a fine mist from spray bottle of water, if you pour water you risk covering seeds and they won't sprout than.

Lincoln, NH(Zone 4a)

thank you so much Keith. I'll do the same

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Keith

how long did the seeds take to germinate for you?

This is something I have been tinkering with, but have not been able to get seed pods yet from my AV crosses. Is there a trick to getting the crosses to take?

Quote from Carolyn22 :
Keith

how long did the seeds take to germinate for you?

This is something I have been tinkering with, but have not been able to get seed pods yet from my AV crosses. Is there a trick to getting the crosses to take?

3 weeks to month and a half.

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

that isn't bad, Keith.

Thank you.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Keith...pictures, don't forget the pictures when you have seedlings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.