Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Rose of Sharon cutting in Fall?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 9, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9629921

Can I do a hardwood cutting in Fall for rose of Sharon? How long should the branch I cut be, and how much of exposed stem should I have on the bottom to dip in rooting hormone?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 15, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9631700

For the larger type of this plant / shrub called Hypericum, Rose of Sharon or St Johns Wart depending on where you live and your locality. you need to take the cuttinga between July- September. You take the cutting material about 5-6 inches long, make sure you have a heel on the the bit you remove from the parent plant ( heel is when you tub away in a downward tug, a small part of the parents stem is attached to the new cutting)

With a really sharp knife, razor blade or craft knife, you trim UP the heel part as you dont want a large piece at the bottom of the cutting encase this causes rot,, dip the bottom into your rooting powder and shake off any excess, too much powder is no use as it will prevent contact with the soil, then insert the cutting into a small pot of compost with added grit / sand or perlite that helps drainage, air to be allowed into the soil mix and also helps with rooting as the soil is more open.
Water the cuttings and make sure the soil don't dry out store the cuttings in a sheltered place either indoors or use a plastic bag to make a tiny greenhouse around the pot, stick a couple of small caned into the pot to help keep the plastic from falling onto the foliage.

Before I finish I forgot to mention that cuttings root better IF set around the inside edge of the pot and you can insert 4-5 cuttings at one time in the same pot, use a pencil to stick into the soil and this makes it easier to place the cuttings in the pot, always gently firm the soil around the cutting before you water, I like to water cuttings from the bottom by placing the pot into a saucer or bowl of water and allow the natural intake of water to soak into the soil, allow the excess water to drain before you place them back into the sheltered area you store them, NOT in BRIGHT sunlight but good light.

Hope all this helps you out and wishing you great success.
Best Regards.
WeeNel.
keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9631946

Very helpful ill know in a few weeks if it is sucessful.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 16, 2013
3:36 AM

Post #9632098

Because The Rose of Sharon is classed as a shrub, you would wait a little longer thana few weeks, after about 6 weeks you COULD gently tip the pot out and very carefully tug at one of the cuttings, IF there is any kind of resistance to come out of the soil then leave alone as this indicated the cuttings are making new roots, I would pop the cuttings back into their pot again and maybe about 3 months later, pot each individual cutting up into it's own SMALL pot with good quality compost and there-after treat as a new plant giving it the care it would normally require for baby plants.
Come spring, weather permitting, you could plant the cutting outside in a SHELTERED area and continue to keep an eye on these small cutting / plants.

Hope this helps you out, remember patience in gardening is a virtue and there is no point in trying to rush these cuttings on, they are like our babies, they will mature at there own pace, you cant get a tree from an acorn, it takes a while to get to the adult stage LOL.

Good luck, Best Regards.
WeeNel.
keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9632362

Reason I said a few weeks did one in early spring and 3 weeks later it had new leaves growing slowly. Only difference now is the season so only time will tell how fast or slow ill see results.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9632380

Are you talking about Rose of Sharon (Althea)?

Any reason to wait until fall? I took some cuttings years ago and did it in mid-summer and don't remember having any problems with rooting. I don't think I did rotting hormone either but it will probably help. My cuttings were between 6 inches to 8 inches long.

keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9632467

hcmcdole wrote:Are you talking about Rose of Sharon (Althea)?

Any reason to wait until fall? I took some cuttings years ago and did it in mid-summer and don't remember having any problems with rooting. I don't think I did rotting hormone either but it will probably help. My cuttings were between 6 inches to 8 inches long.

Yes, hibiscus syriacus. I need to wait until fall because one branch is variegated and I want clones of it, however I'm saving seed from the flower on this branch too, so before I can take a cutting from the top of the branch I must wait until the seed is developed which is in fall, then I can do the cutting.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 16, 2013
1:51 PM

Post #9632652

Sounds like were talking 2 different type of plants here, in UK what we call Rose of Sharon is the plant knows as Hypericum or St Johns Wart, yellow flowers and as the seeds set, they have a distinct RED seed pod that looks like a small button centre of the flowers.

The advice of taking cuttings is the same for both types of shrubs.
Good luck. WeeNel.

ILuvCannas

September 4, 2013
1:31 AM

Post #9650272

Please clarify for me.
Is Rose Of Sharon also St. John's Wort?
Thanks, Carol
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2013
4:15 AM

Post #9650292

Depends on where you live and going by the Wiki article below, when you lived (Biblical references may have meant some plant entirely different such as a tulip, crocus, or lily than modern usage).

In the Southeast (USA) if someone says Rose of Sharon then there is no mistaking they mean Hibiscus syriacus (aka Althea). Well most people born and raised here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_of_Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America