Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

August 13, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9630054

Leaf after leaf of the rhubarb keeps ending up like this - brown.
The plants themselves seem to be healthy.
Guesses are welcome!

HeatherY

Thumbnail by HeatherY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

apexofservice
Seattle, WA

August 30, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9645834

Isn't this a natural occurance as the leaves get older and are replaced by younger ones? I guess I'd want to know how quickly this is happening.

Also, did you look around for pests? Maybe something like aphids sucking the juices?
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

April 22, 2014
4:14 PM

Post #9819110

Hey, Apex,
I am just getting around to catching up on DG stuff.
I have just loosened the rhubarb bed for the first time this year.
I am going to watch the leaves for aphids or signs of disease.
The new leaves look just perfect, but they are not very old yet.

Heather
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2014
12:05 PM

Post #9824269

My experience is that as soon as new leaves shade the old ones, they yellow and die.
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

June 24, 2014
6:21 PM

Post #9876604

spring 2014 update-
I am convinced that I do have aphids- I have ants, I see tiny things that might be aphids, I have damaged leaves on the plums on that side of the garden.
I am using "Safer" insecticial soap and I will also get some Neem, I also watching the plants for signs of fungus.
harvesting the rhubarb stalks more often seems to help, though I could be wrong about that.
cheers
Heather
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 24, 2014
9:34 PM

Post #9876765

If harvesting the leaves "helps", then it does suggest that it's a normal abandonment by the plant of old, shaded leaves.
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

June 27, 2014
12:48 PM

Post #9879210

Yes, or perhaps it is opening up spaces for light and air to slow easy spread of bugs and or disease, as a knock on effect. whichever, the question is now whether or not I pulled too much.
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

July 1, 2014
1:31 PM

Post #9882758

Here are pictures of the recent problems from this year-also, I have noticed that there seem to be scale insects on the leaves of the nearby plum trees.

Thumbnail by HeatherY   Thumbnail by HeatherY   Thumbnail by HeatherY   Thumbnail by HeatherY   Thumbnail by HeatherY
Click an image for an enlarged view.

HeatherY
Kensington, NY

July 22, 2014
1:49 PM

Post #9900382

it is still happening, even though I am using insectical soap and pepper wax on the leaves and in general they are healthier and better.
Heather
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 9, 2014
9:56 PM

Post #9914297

HeatherY wrote:Yes, or perhaps it is opening up spaces for light and air to slow easy spread of bugs and or disease, as a knock on effect. whichever, the question is now whether or not I pulled too much.

If you manage to kill an established rhubarb simply by removing a few leaves, you will really have accomplished something!

Every healthy garden has some undesirable bugs in it if you look hard enough. I can't think of any reason to worry about rhubarb.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America