Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: GEORGIA Gardeners - 5-gallon, Self-watering eBucket offer

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9632290

My cousin Wanda in College Park, Ga. inherited all my 5-gallon, self-watering eBuckets, and she is now ready to pass them on.

If anyone is interested in having them, or knows any Georgia growers you think might be interested in the offer, please send me a dmail, and I'll let Wanda know. There are between 20-30 buckets available. They are perfect for small-space gardens, and especially great for growing the WATER-HOGGING cole crops like broccoli, cauliflowers, and cabbages.

Linda

(P.S. I'm posting this in several forums...)

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9633295

What a wonderful offer! Wish I lived in Georgia!!
milesdt
Pulaski, GA

October 24, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9694237

Has your cousin had any takers on this?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9696772

She posted it on Craigslist and over 20 respondents within 8 hours!

The eBuckets have been passed on.

People are HUNGRY to grow their own food, and eBuckets allow for this on a tight budget. No need for large space. Just a nice patch of sun, or, since they're portable, just pick 'em up when you need to, and place them in a sunny spot!

Here's the link to the tutorial on how to make your own, plus several other links pertinent to growing in the eBuckets.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9249961

Keep your costs down by collecting buckets from local burger shops (pickle buckets); bakery shops (icing buckets); pool men (the cholorine tablet buckets are 6.5 gallons, taller, and are great for the broccolis and tomatoes! I have not experienced and adverse effects to any veggies using these buckets...); and, side of the road (yes, I have stopped to retrieve a fallen bucket...).

Use cut up pieces of garbage bags as covers if you don't have lids. Just duct tape them around or use bungie cords. Cut a "X" slit in the top where the plant goes.

Stretch your $$ by filling your eBuckets with a mixture of pine bark fines (double grind pine bark), peat, and perlite. I have used the mix in the following ratios:
4:2:1 (faster drainage, less water retention in the mix)
3:2:1 (slower drainage, more water retention in the mix)

And, since brassicas are hungry hippos, amend your mix to include 1/2 to 1 part of composted manure. I use Black Kow from Home Depot/Lowes. Use ONE cup of fertilizer in the ring. Just watch how your plants are responding, and they'll actually tell you what they need...

Keep your reservoir filled.

That's all you need to do! Godspeed, and Good Harvest!

Linda

P.S. Just holler if you need some help, and I'll be glad to work you through it!

"Feeding the world, one eBucket at a time..."
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9697596

Linda, another source of free plastic buckets that have held only non-toxic materials - talk to the (usually retired) guy who works part-time at your local automatic carwash.

Nationwide, environmentally-friendly liquid soaps and waxes come to those carwashes in 5-gallon plastic buckets. Those businesses go through a lot of buckets, the buckets aren't recycled (they go in the dumpster), and carwash operators are often happy to give them away.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9697681

I didn't know that!

Thanks, Sam!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9727290

Thanks for the refresher on eBuckets!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9727450

Any time, Terri_emory!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America