Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: How do you fertilize your veggies?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 18, Views: 138
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

August 16, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9632589

Here's what we do. I'd like to know if others think it could be improved and how. And I'd just like to know what others do.

We spread a load of manure on half the garden every two or three years. We don't plant that half of the garden the following spring. When we spread the manure we also sprinkle rock phosphate and greensand. When each seedling is planted I put a bit of Osmocote in the hole. That's it. We're pretty happy with the veggie production, but I keep learning new things every decade. :-)

TIA
LAS

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9632592

Manure isn't safe here anymore due to persistent weed killer contamination. I've switched to mushroom compost from a relatively local source when I need to add to my own compost. I also use some cottonseed meal for nitrogen.

I have been using Azomite for a microfert since my soil was almost completely devoid of trace minerals -- not unusual for the southeast -- and will be following up again this winter or spring with a detailed soil test to see if I need to continue to add it or if I'm in the right ballpark now.
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

August 16, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9632597

NicoleC, I see that Azomite is 0,0,.2. What are the minerals that it supplies? I once had a soil test done and found we were short of boron. But I don't know about other minerals.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9632610

I have a load of compost delivered from a local supplier and spread that on the veggie beds each spring. I don't till it in or anything, just spread on top. Then I like to use a liquid Fertilizer during the growing season. I like Neptunes Liquid Seaweed Fertilizer or their Seaweed/Fish Blend. When I plant the tomatoes and peppers and such in spring I like to add some dry bagged Tomato type fertilzer around each plant.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9632729

Azomite contents: http://azomite.com/resources/coa.pdf (PDF file)

Not everything in it is a "good" mineral or element. It's volcanic dust. You don't want a whole lot of lead, for example. So, personally, I wouldn't use it without knowing what's in my soil already and how much of it.

LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

August 16, 2013
5:22 PM

Post #9632829

Thanks, NicoleC. Do you know what "additional" means? I know we have lacked Boron in the distant past, and that is listed in the "additional" list.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9632841

If my Chemistry 101 memories serve me, the "additional" items listed are metals and metalloids, and not technically minerals.

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2013
5:50 AM

Post #9633159

I add mushroom soil once a year. I also use this fertilizer with micronutrients at planting:
http://www.millernurseries.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1235
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 17, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9633284

I added my homemade compost,,some store bought manure ,plant tone , topsoil ,bloodmeal and lime mix all together in my wheel barrow and add to the bed.I put a bit of plant tone in the hole when I put in the plants, then spray the growing plants with Fish Emulsion every 2 weeks.I also put a little 10-10-10 fertilizer around the plants every 2 weeks.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9635266

LAS14 wrote:NicoleC, I see that Azomite is 0,0,.2. What are the minerals that it supplies? I once had a soil test done and found we were short of boron. But I don't know about other minerals.

Borax is available in some of the markets here, in the laundry dept. Of course, I don't know how much you would use to get it in your soil. I imagine only a small amount of it.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2013
3:28 PM

Post #9636536

When you spread manure and then don't plant crops on that area, do you plant a cover crop like clover or fall Rye or buckwheat?

You would add more organic matter, some nitrogen, and prevent some leaching. If there are any herbicides in a load of manure, you might get early warning if the cover crop is sensitive to that.

I've read that pea seedlings are very sensitive to many herbicides, so you could use a few peas to serve as a canary-in-the-mine.

If someone has had that problem with their supplier, they could let the manure sheet-compost for a month or so, in a very thick layer somewhere, while waiting for some peas to emerge and prove it safe. Then they would have to spread it out where they really donated it, in a thinner layer.
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

August 20, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9636539

We plant buckwheat. Cut it and let it lie to be dug in later.
Interesting observation about peas. Thanks.
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9638061

I make my own compost, and use that. Every week I broadcast fish emulsion / seaweed alternately.

I put bone meal on peppers 1x a month. Also, we make hard boiled eggs every week or so, and spread that water around -- every plant thrives on it.

This year I will plant a barley cover crop for the first time.
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

August 22, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9638105

Do you find that bone meal attracts critters?
What's in boiled egg water?
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9638356

i tried buckwheat for 1st time this yr..
i didnt water well enough..but it came up where i did water..lol
i like it..i usually leave part of the vegy garden fallow so next yr..im going to try to do
a couple plantings of buckwheat there..and water ..:)
i'll use the vegy growth in the compost..just cut down..and let the roots rot where there at..
las.. i used fish bone meal 1st time this yr..i like it.. except..as you suggest..kritters..
this yr..provo has been indudated with racoons.. city doesnt have enough traps to rent out..:(
they havent bothered my corn..thank goodness.. but..where i put fish bone meal.. they dug into the
soil there.. when i saw it..i didnt know what was up..a fellow garden friend suggested raccoons.. sure enough.. crazy animals..:)
i do plan to use fish bone meal next yr though..i like it.. and its not to pricey..
dervish2
White Plains, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9654150

CYTF - Be careful with Fish Emulsion. I suspect that it gave me a case of stomach poisoning.

I sprayed the foliage with the emulsion a few days before harvesting some tomatoes, and got sick following eating them.

Now I only use it early in the season and wash the vegetables with soap and water several times before consuming.

I was using an OMRI product.

cytf
Staten Island, NY

September 8, 2013
11:47 AM

Post #9654209

thank you Dervish2 for that advice I will keep it in mind .

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9654430

remember natural and organic do not mean non toxic or safe. In fact many conventional pesticides are safer and less toxic than organic ones.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9663899

Boron is a trace mineral, whole earth has traces only. Remember borax is used as a soap- especially if you utilize beneficial pest controls.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America