-
AuthorContent
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9633473

Although my leaf lettuce is growing like gangbusters, I have a problem with my Romaine lettuce plants. They don't seem to form tight bunches. They have a leaf then an inch higher on the stalk, there's another leaf on the other side, and so on. Plenty of leaves but I'd like to see them form bunches they way they are packaged in the grocery store. (I planted Cimmaron and Parris Island.)

The lettuce area only gets 5 or 6 hours of sun in summer, but it doesn't seem to affect the leaf lettuce. Any ideas on how to make the Romaine bunchier?

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9633833

Do you have a picture?

It is one of three things:

1. Plants are too close together. Romain needs a good 10-15" between plants.

2. Sounds like it could be starting to bolt. Temperatures above 80F with long days can cause lettuce to bolt and never form heads. Romain is one that is a little more tolerant of heat but I have seen it bolt this time of year.

3. Or not getting enough sun? Lettuce grown is too much shade will not form compact heads.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9635077

They were about 8" apart, and showing no signs of bolting yet, so I'm inclined to suspect your cause #3. Next year I'll try to steal some space in the flower garden where there is more sun! Thanks!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9635082

I grow Parris Island. The need cool night temps to for a head/bunch. Maybe wait for fall?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America