Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CountryTulipTre
Moscow, ID

August 17, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9633689

In northern Idaho. we plant garlic in October or November and beets in the spring. I would like to interplant them, since we harvest garlic in July and beets a month or two later. The garlic has a great head start on leaf development, so I wonder if it would shade the new beet sprouts too much. We have a 4x6 raised bed for 60 garlic plants. Any advice?

Thanks! Moscow Tulip

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2013
8:25 AM

Post #9635051

Have you considered that, depending on how close you plant, you might end up disturbing your beetroots, as you pull out your garlic? I wouldn't worry too much, however, since the beets have a very long taproot. But, just be aware of your spacing.

Also, from what I've read, beets need full sun, although I've managed to grow them in my 4x6 raised bed that only gets morning sun, then bright light the remainder of the day. Mine get very little full-on sunshine...

Finally, (if you haven't already) Google and read up on companion planting garlic and beets to see if they're compatible. I'm wondering, because too much water on the garlic will cause them to rot, and beets need consistently moist soil and space between them (3-4") to grow good size roots.

Linda
CountryTulipTre
Moscow, ID

August 21, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9637543

Thanks, Linda. I had read about companionability and spacing, but had not thought about water differences! I'll rethink this...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America