Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: Small shrubs... looks like boxwood, but is quite thin/airy

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TaylorNobody
San Diego, CA

August 19, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9635120

Hey all. This image confuses me, and I am new to plant life :)
The small shrubs in front look like a boxwood of some sort (Buxus sinica var. insularis?), but is either freshly planted or has been selectively pruned? I'd really like to mimic a similar look but want to be sure what it is.

And I know the photo is not that great, but any clue on the columnar flowers behind the shrubs: Snapdragons, Lupines, Physostegia, Delphinium...?

Thank you ahead of the time!

Thumbnail by TaylorNobody
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2013
10:23 AM

Post #9635167

We're going to need a close-up picture to be sure. It does look a lot like a Buxus.
TaylorNobody
San Diego, CA

August 19, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9635441

Unfortunately, I randomly found the picture on the internet and can't seem to find a clearer/larger version. So any guesses from folks with more experience than me would be much appreciated.
TheBallisticOne
Canonsburg, PA

September 23, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9668365

Not sure about what's in back, but the shrubs up front look like boxwood to me. If they get cut or crushed close to the main stem, they will show much thinner cover for a long time, which may be the case here. If you want to plant your own boxwood, take a leaf from your choice plant and bend it in half lengthwise. It should snap right down the main vein if it's a true boxwood.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2013
6:38 PM

Post #9668372

Doesn't look like boxwood to me. Foliage is much too large and coarse. More lily Euonymus japonicus.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9668405

Looks like a Boxwood (Buxus sempervirens) to me. It shows that hideous yellow edge on the leaves. They were probably poorly grown 1 gallon plants that were planted for the photo-shoot.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America