AuthorContent

Kbh69

Kbh69
Andrews, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9635483

Just watered my Bromeliad and tiny, long, skinny, white worms came to the surface then went back under. What in the HECK are they? What do I do? The plant is very healthy. It is in the process of producing another plant. I understand that is what they do preceding death.
This is the only type of plant like this that I have. I don't know anything about it but do know I don't want worms in my home unless they serve a purpose! :) I need advice!

Thanks.

Thumbnail by Kbh69
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2013
5:36 AM

Post #9635958

I've purchased plants in the past that also had these 'creatures'. I removed the plants, washed off all the old soil, and repotted in fresh potting soil. Don't know of any other way to get rid of them…And I know of no 'purpose' that they would have.

Kbh69

Kbh69
Andrews, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9636185

I'm afraid it will interfere with the progress of the new off shoot. As I said, I know NOTHING about Bromeliads... Should I "just do it?" :)
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 20, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9636388

JUST DO IT, there is no point worrying about a new baby plant that your going to watch dying with infestation of soil worms, these are not garden worms and without picture, cant say what they are but from experience they are NOT unusual when plants are kept indoors, have pulpy soft tissue inside the the plant and they maybe the type of worms that actually help eat decaying material that would otherwise kill the plant, BUT as you don't know and it is obviously important you get rid sooner rather than later. YES remove the soil and re-pot.

To remove the worms, you tip the pot onto a bit of newspaper, gently use a skewer or similar tool to help comb out the soil from the roots, very gently IF the soil is clinging, use a cloth or thick kitchen tissue to hold onto the plant and with a gently running tap, run the roots under the running water.

When all soil is removed, Lay the plant on fresh kitchen tissue and wash out the pot, get rid of the infested soil and refill the clean pot, add the compost or special soil for these type of plants and insert the plant gently into the new soil and give a LITTLE water, don't over water and don't leave plant in a hot sunny windowsill, You may find the plant looks a wee bit sorry for-it's-self for a few days, it's called transplant shock that all plants have when treated this way.

set the plant in a good light place away from drafts ect. and when it has revived, replace it back to where it was happy before. Give the kitchen work tops and sink ect a good scrub and make sure you have disposed of all the old infested soil, then just keep an eye on the newly potted plant to make sure all is well, the little baby plant should have either fallen free from the parent plant and been replanted into same pot or into a much smaller pot on it's own.
Hope this helps you out.
Good luck and Best Regards
WeeNel.

Kbh69

Kbh69
Andrews, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9636420

I'm right on it! Handling a Bromeliad will be refreshing compared to the Optunia I just put in the ground!

WeeNel, your advice is golden. Thanks so much for the clarity of your explanation. Your comments are always so thoughtful. Very much appreciated!
Kiley
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 20, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9636472

Thank you Kiley, nice to know I can help, I don't like giving advice with big fancy words that you need to run get a dictionary to find the meaning, good plain speak is always best at crossing the language of the world far better than any gobble-di- goop some folks think makes them sound intelligent. but we all have gardening in common to keep us sane LOL.
Have a great gardening time for the rest of the season. as always, ask all you need answers to with gardening.

Kindest Regards. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America