Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Will gladious bloom next year?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 7, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jmunson
Eleva, WI

August 20, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9636278

Hello
I planted gladious bulbs in June, but none have flowered and several have leaves that are a little brown, some with holey spots (despite regular watering). Were these just bad bulbs or will they possibly bloom next year?
thank you!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 20, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9636328

Hi Jmunson, do't think your Gladiola's are going to flower now BUT you just never know.
If I were you, I would dig those bulbs up, with foliage attached, don't cut or remove the foliage YET, once you have dug the bulbs from the soil, gently shake the bulbs to remove the soil and then examine the bulbs.
The bulbs should be firm and plump, no soft areas, no grey mould, nothing but nice brown bulbs.

If you look carefully and find soft tissue, fungus, mould, signs of rot, insects like little worms or grubs, anything eating the bulbs, then you have found your problem, and treating it can be difficult depending on what you found, ANY of those problems for me is NO go, and I would get rid of the bulbs in question of you might spread whatever problems you have, these bulbs are NOT as expensive as the cost of spreading problems to other areas of your garden and causing death, infection or soil born diseases, but as I said, it all depends on what you find.

Putting things into perspective, it might be there is nothing wrong with the bulbs after you check them over, sometime as you said yourself, maybe they could be just bad bulbs, (what gardeners call bulbs that are growing blind) that is to say, they make foliage, on testing the bulbs are fine, nothing to say any problems, thy for whatever reason just grow like normal bulbs BUT they don't produce ANY flowers no matter what you feed them, soil enriches, watered, temp' light, all NORMAL except no flowers, these bulbs are usually disposed of as they cant produce seeds for future flowers, and even the foliage is weak and can become easy target for the spread of disease. Again the normal solution is disposal of the bulbs,

You should have planted the bulbs either in container of garden soil, the soil should be enriched with humus, compost as this helps feed the bulbs, allow air into the soil, and helps hold onto moisture in the hotter months.
Bulbs should be planted at a depth of 3 times the size of the bulb, so measure the bulb from top to bottom (growing tip - root end) if the bulb is say 2 inches tall, you make the hole 6 or more inches deep, dont go more than an extra inch deep , IF your soil is clay or not good draining, dig the planting hole maybe 8 inches deep and add a couple of inches of sharp grit for drainage so the bulbs dont sit in wet water / soil. even sand at the bottom of hole will do. add a handful of fish / blood / bone meal to the planting area as this is a slow release feed and adds nutrients over a longer period to help give energy to the bulbs for developing flowers.

Hope all this helps you out a bit.
Good luck and Best Regards. WeeNel.
jmunson
Eleva, WI

August 20, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9636498

Thank you WeeNel! I am quite the novice at this, so your advice is very much appreciated -- will follow it to "T".
take care,
jmunson
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 20, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9636506

jmunson, your very welcome, hope you find what is going on with your bulbs and it can be fixed.
take care and Best Regards. WeeNel.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9636667

I think they may bloom yet. I put some glads in in July and they didn't Bloom until the beginning of October. I remember having flower spikes with frost on them.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9637242

Jmunson - I agree with Doug. When I was growing glads, I always planted them out when danger of frost was gone, which in my area is in May. You may be a zone or so colder than I am.

One thing that is recommended is to plant multiple glad bulbs at intervals of 1 or 2 weeks after each other so you will have constant flushes of blooms.

You should still get flowers unless you have an early freeze.

jmunson
Eleva, WI

August 22, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9638576

I pulled up one bulb -- it looked good. And ... today ... one has started to flower! It's the only one so far, but I'll take it. I'll hang in there with the rest. We've had the strangest growing season in Wisconsin: blizzards until the end of May. Flooding in June, but little rain since.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 23, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9639239

Snap, Same going on weather wise this year for us in UK also, I've had the worst year in 50 years of gardening with regards my Veg plot, most things sat looking at my and then just rotted at the roots, had to clear them all away, even stuff I have to grow in my greenhouse like Tomato's. cucumber. Peppers ect have not done well due to lack of heat and sun earlier on when at the seedling stage, OH well jmunson, don't beat yourself up over some bulbs that appear to be trying there best against all the odd's, just hang fire and maybe next year will be a good gardening one.

Kindest Regards and enjoy whatever blooms you get as the season here is a bit late for summer flowering bulbs.
WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America